You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Star_Conquest

Fighter-Bombers

8 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
383 battles

In order the make US CVs competitive in terms of strike, while maintaining their leniency towards AS, I think US DBs should second as fighters. They shouldn't be as good as dedicated fighters, nor should they have strafe. Simply, they should be capable of defending themselves, and in 2v1 situations capable of winning with costs. 

If this happened, then I do not believe loadout changes would be necessary.

Consider strike loadouts for early tier US carriers. Now, instead of being completely incapable of defending themselves, their 2 DBs can be used as fighters should the need arise.

There are many things this idea could be expanded into. Perhaps the ability to switch between 2 DB models, one with lighter bombs, and better fighter ability, and vice versa. 

Simple thoughts from a not to pro US CV player.

[SF-A]
Members
2,850 posts
5,548 battles
1 minute ago, Slntreaper said:

Problem is, with 2-2-2, after dropping bombs, the Midway can have up to 4 fighters in the sky.  

It would probably end up as a 1-2-2, but the manual bomb drop would need to be very easy to do quickly. The white dashed circle would be small so that it can shift from bomber to fighter quickly enough.

Members
2 posts
383 battles

1 minute ago, Slntreaper said:

Problem is, with 2-2-2, after dropping bombs, the Midway can have up to 4 fighters in the sky.  

If they are not full-strength fighters and have limitations [no strafe], I don't think that would be a significant issue.

[SALVO]
Members
16,655 posts
17,300 battles
2 hours ago, Star_Conquest said:

In order the make US CVs competitive in terms of strike, while maintaining their leniency towards AS, I think US DBs should second as fighters. They shouldn't be as good as dedicated fighters, nor should they have strafe. Simply, they should be capable of defending themselves, and in 2v1 situations capable of winning with costs. 

If this happened, then I do not believe loadout changes would be necessary.

Consider strike loadouts for early tier US carriers. Now, instead of being completely incapable of defending themselves, their 2 DBs can be used as fighters should the need arise.

There are many things this idea could be expanded into. Perhaps the ability to switch between 2 DB models, one with lighter bombs, and better fighter ability, and vice versa. 

Simple thoughts from a not to pro US CV player.

No.  DBs are not "fighter-bombers".  They're bombers that are designed to attack by diving at the enemy, though they could level bomb as well.

If one wanted legit fighter-bombers, they would be fighters equipped with something like smaller HE bombs or perhaps rockets, either of which they could aim at enemy ships.  Real "fighter-bombers" are simply fighters that had the capacity to carry bombs or rockets to use against ground/surface targets.  They weren't bombers that could pretend to be fighters, because to the best of my knowledge, nothing like that really existed.

[SALVO]
Members
16,655 posts
17,300 battles
1 hour ago, RipNuN2 said:

Only if they look like this and are called fighta bommas.

mXAjZ8M.jpg

I thought you were gonna call them "F bommas"!