You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Freshmeat999

Regarding Using the official game on Steam

14 comments in this topic

[ARCD]
[ARCD]
Beta Testers
1 post
3,527 battles

I did not know anywhere to put this because I do not keep up with the forums very much but here it goes.

If you use the official Steam version of World of Warships, can you modify the files they give you so that you may use your old account without risking a ban?

I have heard before that modifying the steam_client.api can risk a ban by both Steam and Wargaming. The thing is I do not want to start over, but I want to be able to see how many hours I have logged on the game.

Therefore, I ask for OFFICIAL response for this matter before I even attempt to play on the Steam version of the game.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,979 posts
12,488 battles
10 minutes ago, Freshmeat999 said:

Therefore, I ask for OFFICIAL response for this matter before I even attempt to play on the Steam version of the game.

To improve your chances, I'll try to summon @SuperNikoPower, @Trevzor and / or @Pigeon_of_War to give you an official answer.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,479 battles

Problem is, if they do that then they are allowing merging of accounts, which they've adamantly been against.  I'm pretty certain the answer will be 'Sorry, but no.'  But by all means, official word is better than my guess. ;)

If you're after your own time spent in-game, I wonder if that info is available in the API?  You might be able to call that out, like into a Google Doc or something.

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
32 posts
8,636 battles

You could just add the default version that you have been running before steam came out to your steam library as a non-steam game

[WGA]
Developers, Administrator, Moderator, F&F, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
1,089 posts
3,730 battles

Short answer:

Any modifications you do to files of a client are your own risk and you won't get help from our Support Team should you run into an issue doing so. 

That's my official answer. 

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Supertester
18,979 posts
12,488 battles

In other words, you are not risking a ban but you forfeit support.

[WGA]
Developers, Administrator, Moderator, F&F, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
1,089 posts
3,730 battles
Just now, Lert said:

I didn't say that. 

[VOC]
Beta Testers
1,124 posts
5,877 battles

So I'm doing nothing wrong if I log in into the steam variant? :p Cause I like the fact I can start WoWs on steam now :p the only downside; I don't get the archievements :p

[HINON]
Supertester
18,979 posts
12,488 battles
18 minutes ago, Pigeon_of_War said:

I didn't say that. 

• Cool 1

[TASH]
Members
4,996 posts
7,925 battles
37 minutes ago, Lert said:

No, you simply can't hold WG support accountable for any issues that result from you tinkering with the client's scripts.  Just like any other mod.

Edited by ValkyrWarframe

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,269 posts

fwiw... most of us have a Steam account. It's a question many of us would like to have an official statement regarding pre-existing accounts and Steam. 

Surely this was discussed long before it happened, yes? I'd like to do Steam as well... but I like the OP am going to hold off. Otherwise... everyone starting a new account will really distort your figures for the Steam offering. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,302 posts
3,585 battles

I don't get why there is no transfer option to steam i'd rather run the game on steam then get stuck with the wargaming center which I had many bad experiences with. In a common sense world one would think Wargaming would offer a transfer to steam to those who wanted it. My guess is because the platform is not yet stabilized. @Pigeon_of_War @SuperNikoPower @Sub_Octavian surely you three know that the Wargaming center still causes issues. Not everyone wants it. Some of us if given the chance would take the opportunity to transfer to steam rather than have to deal with the wargaming center. Why is this such a difficult thing to do? One would think it would be as simple as crediting premium ships and free xp for the line progress in the current client. I know ideally you want us to download WGC when it exits beta, but has it not crossed your minds that maybe people are not on board with that. I am trying to make a valid point here and I am asking this legitimately. I can think of the one big problem other wargaming titles not on steam and I really hope that the developers have though through the potential fallout should the WGC fail or succeed. I was without warships for three whole months due to the WGC failing me by causing internet crashes and high ping. I have been with this game since closed beta and many others have as well this is a thought in the back of our minds. What choice do we have when the very client(WGC) itself causes the game to be unplayable. I have said my piece if you want to ignore that is fine, but you'd have a lot more respect by answering than by ignoring a paying customer.

[SYN]
Members
326 posts
5,998 battles
7 hours ago, Pigeon_of_War said:

Short answer:

Any modifications you do to files of a client are your own risk and you won't get help from our Support Team should you run into an issue doing so. 

That's my official answer. 

How about a simple, clear answer?  Something striaight and forthright?

• Cool 1