Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
aethervox

WoWS Incorporating player Mods into the official game client

19 comments in this topic

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,238 battles

My feedback suggestion is as follows;

There are player mods & official WG mods. A lot of excellent 'optional' material.

Could not some of this optional material be incorporated into the official game client?

I am aware that many players may have computers that cannot incorporate too much additional/excess  software.

However, there must be considerable cosmetic 'chrome' Mods that might easily be incorporated.

A specific example I can reference is 'Theurge's Alpha, Beta & Beta weekend flag mods. They look great & could replace the current WG flags.

Could WG administrators/developers/researchers please look into all the Mods to see what might enhance the official game client?

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,397 posts

There are far more legal issues than just simply signing a page of concent and slapping the mod into the game

• Cool 1

[CUTER]
[CUTER]
1,611 posts
8,804 battles

WG has been adding things to the main client that started life as a mod for sometime now. Its why most people only use mods for Skins now.

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
2 minutes ago, LaffeyKaiNi said:

WG has been adding things to the main client that started life as a mod for sometime now. Its why most people only use mods for Skins now.

The static cross-hair has multiple mods and there are voiceover mod packs like ARP, Seagal

At least ARP did exist in one of the versions if not now.

I guess that's pretty much it.

@aethervox They could definitely add more but I guess they will have to go through the mods first so that there isn't anything against their policy.

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,238 battles
10 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

There are far more legal issues than just simply signing a page of concent and slapping the mod into the game

Not to argue but I doubt that. The EULA, I believe, the NDA agreements & Forum contest rules all state that WG has proprietary rights to practically all player submitted content that WG utilizes. Is this not, essentially, correct? So , what, exactly, Ms Forum lawyer, are these 'far more' legal issues you refer to?

[SOUP]
7,397 posts
8 minutes ago, aethervox said:

Not to argue but I doubt that. The EULA, I believe, the NDA agreements & Forum contest rules all state that WG has proprietary rights to practically all player submitted content that WG utilizes. Is this not, essentially, correct? So , what, exactly, Ms Forum lawyer, are these 'far more' legal issues you refer to?

Incorrect, as the EULA does not state anything about user-made content, nor do Forum contest rules and certainly not the NDA agreement, which only applies to staff and community volunteers like CCs and Supertesters.
And any time WG makes content based on a mod, it is based on the mod, not a direct transplant. It is far more efficient to create their own than to try and get through the red-tape.
Say WG took Mermaid's Wrath from me, made it content in the game and said it was theirs all along. Not only could I sue them but also all my VAs as their work is then not being used as it was intended when I hired them. Why risk that when they can just make their own, similar product?

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,238 battles

One day, we may meet in a random battle & when we do .... :cap_rambo::cap_rambo::cap_rambo::cap_rambo::cap_rambo::cap_rambo:

[SOUP]
7,397 posts
3 minutes ago, aethervox said:

One day, we may meet in a random battle & when we do .... :cap_rambo::cap_rambo::cap_rambo::cap_rambo::cap_rambo::cap_rambo:

That's your response to logic and reason? "I'mmafight you, that'll show ya"?
...why do I bother explaining things to people like you
(also, AA spam will do little good against me, I don't rely on aircraft.)

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,238 battles

... this was in jest, I guess you didn't get that

[SOUP]
7,397 posts
Just now, aethervox said:

... this was in jest, I guess you didn't get that

Your humour isn't very well-developed, I'll let you know when you do something I might laugh at.
In the meantime, your suggestion is never going to happen the way you want it, so you might as well stop wasting your time

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,238 battles
51 minutes ago, aethervox said:

My feedback suggestion is as follows;

There are player mods & official WG mods. A lot of excellent 'optional' material.

Could not some of this optional material be incorporated into the official game client?

I am aware that many players may have computers that cannot incorporate too much additional/excess  software.

However, there must be considerable cosmetic 'chrome' Mods that might easily be incorporated.

A specific example I can reference is 'Theurge's Alpha, Beta & Beta weekend flag mods. They look great & could replace the current WG flags.

Could WG administrators/developers/researchers please look into all the Mods to see what might enhance the official game client?

... just getting this thread back on track ....

[SOUP]
7,397 posts
Just now, aethervox said:

[SALVO]
Members
16,684 posts
17,308 battles

Putting aside the entire issue of legal issues, what current mods are there that would seem worthy of being incorporated into the game?  (Please don't give just the mods' names, but explain what they do in a simple fashion.  I don't use mods anymore.  I DL'd Aslain's mudpack this afternoon and saw nothing in there that piqued my interest.)

[LOU1]
Members
2,895 posts
8,004 battles
52 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Putting aside the entire issue of legal issues, what current mods are there that would seem worthy of being incorporated into the game?  (Please don't give just the mods' names, but explain what they do in a simple fashion.  I don't use mods anymore.  I DL'd Aslain's mudpack this afternoon and saw nothing in there that piqued my interest.)

The main mod I value from that pack is the ability to enlarge the minimap (Transparent Minimap). Oh, and the one that makes names on the minimap larger.  Those have really helped my SA and is helping learn to drive by using the minimap.    You might find them interesting. 

Edited by ExploratorOne

Members
5 posts
1,280 battles

I think there are things they could easily implement without having to rely on mods, like: making the crosshair color and default FOV customizable. I for instance used a mod that made the crosshair yellow and one that increased FOV in 15° and that helped a lot, but would prefer to have those things in-game.

Edited by TTK_Kuni

[SALVO]
Members
16,684 posts
17,308 battles
12 minutes ago, ExploratorOne said:

The main mod I value from that pack is the ability to enlarge the minimap (Transparent Minimap). Oh, and the one that makes names on the minimap larger.  Those have really helped my SA and is helping learn to drive by using the minimap.    You might find them interesting. 

I remember a mod a while back (I think it was a WoWS mod, but it might have been a WoT one, I don't remember) where if you held a key down, it would pop up a very large version of the minimap, and it would disappear when you released the key.  I remember thinking that it was a nice mod at the time.

I'd like to see a mod or a change to the game that made the chat box opaque rather than transparent, so that you could actually read the text without the text blending into the background colors.

I'd love to see a mod/game change that showed a direct ahead view from the bridge, so that I could see what was directly ahead without having to go through all the annoying motions of having to use the free look function to change my view to see what was ahead.  I rarely use this ability because I find it too annoyingly difficult (too many motions of the mouse) to use, so I just accept that I'll run into stuff.  it would be nice to be able to either have a small window next to the minimap with this view.  or like in the first paragraph above, have a single key binding that when you held it down, a large window would pop up with the directly ahead view, that would then disappear when you released the key.  (Call it the "Helmsman's View".)

[SALVO]
Members
16,684 posts
17,308 battles
17 minutes ago, TTK_Kuni said:

I think there are things they could easily implement without having to rely on mods, like: making the crosshair color and default FOV customizable. I for instance used a mod that made the crosshair yellow and one that increased FOV in 15° and that helped a lot, but would prefer to have those things in-game.

The Devs need to add in more dynamic cross hairs.  Maybe add in dynamic versions of the existing static crosshairs.

• Cool 1

[LOU1]
Members
2,895 posts
8,004 battles
2 hours ago, Crucis said:

I remember a mod a while back (I think it was a WoWS mod, but it might have been a WoT one, I don't remember) where if you held a key down, it would pop up a very large version of the minimap, and it would disappear when you released the key.  I remember thinking that it was a nice mod at the time.

I'd like to see a mod or a change to the game that made the chat box opaque rather than transparent, so that you could actually read the text without the text blending into the background colors.

I'd love to see a mod/game change that showed a direct ahead view from the bridge, so that I could see what was directly ahead without having to go through all the annoying motions of having to use the free look function to change my view to see what was ahead.  I rarely use this ability because I find it too annoyingly difficult (too many motions of the mouse) to use, so I just accept that I'll run into stuff.  it would be nice to be able to either have a small window next to the minimap with this view.  or like in the first paragraph above, have a single key binding that when you held it down, a large window would pop up with the directly ahead view, that would then disappear when you released the key.  (Call it the "Helmsman's View".)

I do believe that is part of the WOT GUI.  There are even some unicums that fight with the large map open and slightly transparent.  In WOWS, I was playing with the zoom and the C-key a couple of months ago.  In the zoom out (non-shift) view, I was able to zoom in with the mouse wheel to be looking pretty much from the bridge or each of the turrets.  The view looking from the bridge was fascinating.  Unfortunately, it made fighting extremely difficult.  The only really usable benefit is looking from a turret and being able to slip a front or rear turret out past an island; by keeping your bridge behind cover, you are not detected even after firing.   I don't know if you have tried that, but I could almost hear/feel the wind as I watched the bow cut through the water.

I also use one of the chat box mods to change the format and opacity.

[LOU1]
Members
2,895 posts
8,004 battles
2 hours ago, Crucis said:

The Devs need to add in more dynamic cross hairs.  Maybe add in dynamic versions of the existing static crosshairs.

i like the mod that gives you a 30kph scale on top and a 20kph scale on the bottom.  Oddly, using those has been slowly improving my snapshotting and being able to successfully disagree with the scale.

Sign in to follow this