You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MajorEnglush

Hi. I'm MajorEnglush, and I'm a n00b

25 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
Members
411 posts
2,433 battles

Group: Hi, Major!

ME: So...I'm usually a console peasant—

Group: BOOOO!!!!

ME: Now now ... I'm okayish at World of Tanks on Xbox, and figured I'd seen tons of videos on Warships, so gave it a shot.

Group: **grumbles are heard**

ME: It's the first PC game outside of solitaire that I've played since King's Quest ... on a PC Jr. ... when I was 9 years old ... in 1980.

Group: **blink** 

ME: ...

Group: .... **blink blink**

ME: So, yeah. It's taken some adjustments. Mainly, my left index finger floats to the F key due to 20+ years as a writer and, well, that's its home. So I put a piece of paper between the F and D keys to keep it in place, lol.

Group: **blank stares**

ME: Anyway. Fun game so far and I guess I am doing okay...? Got my first Kraken and Last Stand medals last week, so that was nice.

Group: **polite applause**

ME: A few random thoughts:

• Cruisers are fun at lower tiers thanks to their flexibility, but when I started to hit +2 MM at tier V it got a LOT tougher. They are going to take some getting used to at those tiers. Any tips are welcome.
  • Really like USN DDs. Like, tons. Guessing that is common? Soviet DDs seem fun so far, and just started the German (which seem like a nice mix between US and IJN). Japanese were tougher -- they seem to require an awareness of both maps and red team tendencies, which makes them very high skill ceiling. Going to wait on those.
  • BBs are fun when RNG is on your side, but quite tough to play well, IMHO, due to the need for smart positioning throughout the battle. Not just angling, but map positioning as well and sitautional awareness. Still need to work on those.
  • CVs? Lol nope. At least not until I understand the game a lot better.

Think I'll just stick to tiers IV-VI until I get a few more hundred games under my belt. 

Group: **another smattering of applause**

ME: Thanks for listening. Hope my new addiction doesn't get the better of me.

Group: LOL it will, dude ... it will.

Edited by MajorEnglush
  • Cool 12

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Hello and welcome to the forums! 

Fair winds and following seas captain! :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles

Welcome! :cap_cool:  This forum is a great place for friendly banter, salty banter, and a few trolls.  But, it is also a wealth of information on game play, sneak peeks at upcoming changes, and it contains a few contests for free stuff.  So, stick around!

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
1,224 posts
8,002 battles

Welcome!

Personally, I love IJN DDs. They do require some effort to maintain situational awareness, but they can be so rewarding when you put 6 torps in the side of a BB who never even knew you were there. 

• Cool 1

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,203 battles

Haha, you suckers. I got the first +1 to OP for his humourous first post. Excellent work, OP & welcome to the Forum (just remember to listen to me, lol).

• Cool 1

Members
3,551 posts
6,867 battles
2 minutes ago, aethervox said:

Haha, you suckers. I got the first +1 to OP for his humourous first post. Excellent work, OP & welcome to the Forum (just remember to listen to me, lol).

I'll second that, I would have given a +1 for the Leisure Suit Larry look alone, no offense intended!

Welcome!

• Cool 1

[BNKR]
Members
411 posts
2,433 battles
14 minutes ago, OgreMkV said:

Welcome!

Personally, I love IJN DDs. They do require some effort to maintain situational awareness, but they can be so rewarding when you put 6 torps in the side of a BB who never even knew you were there. 

I found myself killing more teammates than actual red ships, so went ahead and put that line on hold for now. 

:Smile_facepalm:

(Which is the other thing that's taken some getting used to: team damage. Never played a game where that was a factor. I like it, tbh -- gotta pay more attention.)

Edited by MajorEnglush

[POP]
Members
1,224 posts
8,002 battles
Just now, MajorEnglush said:

I found myself killing more teammates than actual red ships, so went ahead and put that line on hold for now. 

:Smile_facepalm:

Ouch. Yeah, that sucks. Let me know if you need some pointers. 

As far as the rest, just explore. If you need information or suggestions on a specific ship, feel free to post about it. Someone likes almost every ship. 

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
4,770 posts
13,557 battles

Welcome aboard sailor; May the wind be at your back, your enemies sail straight, the enemy torpedoes miss by a mile and RNG be always in your favor. Remember to watch the mini map, change course and speed and use AP on broadside ships at the water line. Don't get lost or sail alone, don't hug islands to close, don't show your broad side, push with your team, don't hang back in sniper mode and Have fun. Smoke on the water is dangerous, avoid friendly fire and don't feed the trolls. For any thing else use search or just ask.

The Sinksalot Fleet salutes you, 
See you top side.

P.s. the Youtube channels of iChase, Notser, Flamu, Lord Zath and even the Mighty Jingles has really good content for WoWs. The more you learn the better a captain you will become and the less you will be surprised. Also reading Patch notes is useful.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,395 battles
Just now, RedSeaBear said:

P.s. the Youtube channels of iChase, Notser, Flamu, Lord Zath and even the Mighty Jingles has really good content for WoWs. The more you learn the better a captain you will become and the less you will be surprised. Also reading Patch notes is useful.

Welcome mister! And I second all the channels above that I have boldened. If you're looking for information on how to play specific ships, Flamu is your guy. If you're looking for information on general and tactical gameplay, iChase is great for both, along with Notser. If your looking for comedic value to go along with the game you've become interested in, Jingles is the funny old British man for you. :Smile_honoring: I would provide some tips of my own, but this is a welcome thread, after all. So with that, mai RNG vous bénisse, bon monsieur! Enjoy your stay!

• Cool 1

[BNKR]
Members
411 posts
2,433 battles
27 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

Welcome aboard sailor; May the wind be at your back, your enemies sail straight, the enemy torpedoes miss by a mile and RNG be always in your favor. Remember to watch the mini map, change course and speed and use AP on broadside ships at the water line. Don't get lost or sail alone, don't hug islands to close, don't show your broad side, push with your team, don't hang back in sniper mode and Have fun. Smoke on the water is dangerous, avoid friendly fire and don't feed the trolls. For any thing else use search or just ask.

The Sinksalot Fleet salutes you, 
See you top side.

Thanks! 

Was familiar with iChase, Flamu, and of course Jingles, along with Mejash. Will have to check out Noster as well.

And...is...is that a Missouri State logo? Class of '96 here (back when Southwest was still part of the name, lol).

[OPEC]
Members
925 posts
5,108 battles

Welcome!  From the looks of your profile pic, you are much older than I imagined...

[BNKR]
Members
411 posts
2,433 battles
1 minute ago, delp5117 said:

Welcome!  From the looks of your profile pic, you are much older than I imagined...

:Smile_teethhappy:

Sadly, I'm not that stylish IRL. 

:Smile_hiding:

[OPEC]
Members
925 posts
5,108 battles

Thought you might be someone that I played console tanks with, but now I'm not so sure...  :Smile_teethhappy:

[NDA]
Supertester
4,770 posts
13,557 battles
20 minutes ago, MajorEnglush said:

Thanks! 

Was familiar with iChase, Flamu, and of course Jingles, along with Mejash. Will have to check out Noster as well.

And...is...is that a Missouri State logo? Class of '96 here (back when Southwest was still part of the name, lol).

Ah back when MSU was SMSU. Was there from 2011 to 2013 even worked a campus job and that name change still messed people up. 

But a nice city and university to be at. 

• Cool 1

1,266 posts
13 battles

Haha, a very nice introduction! Welcome to the game and forums. Please let me know if you need assistance with anything.

[BNKR]
Members
411 posts
2,433 battles
14 minutes ago, delp5117 said:

Thought you might be someone that I played console tanks with, but now I'm not so sure...  :Smile_teethhappy:

Yep, it me. :Smile_teethhappy:

(Thought that might be you, lol!! We need to division up during a night I'm not in a bad mood. :Smile_glasses:  )

[OPEC]
Members
925 posts
5,108 battles
Just now, MajorEnglush said:

(Thought that might be you, lol!! We need to division up during a night I'm not in a bad mood. :Smile_glasses:  )

Definitely!  I will be on quite a bit this weekend.  I had many of those nights transitioning to ships, but it is a very fun game once you get a handle on the pacing and positioning.  Before you know it, you'll be influencing a lot more games (as in your Solo Warrior and Kraken) and it will really start to click!

[1RD]
[1RD]
Members
131 posts
9,553 battles

Welcome aboard. You'll be hooked like the rest of us. If you see me online, hit me up for division play.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,873 posts
2,191 battles
On 11/21/2017 at 1:40 PM, MajorEnglush said:

my left index finger floats to the F key due to 20+ years as a writer

So, uh .. you're writing .. [how shall I say this?] .. pr0n?  Manly pr0n, of course.  It pays the bills?  ya cool.  I sometimes get off the WASD home key too.  (IBM Model M keyboard, the best PC typing keyboard of all time, believes in F whether I do or not.)

With 20 years on you, never (well, almost never) played a console game.  [Does Pong count?]  Never got a kraken (several almost-krakens).  So polite applause indeed.

Still, as not-an-English-major, I would never advertise misspelling my screen name.  Or was that irony?  Irony is everywhere. Where's my hat?

1,542 posts
26 battles

Welcome to the group @MajorEnglush! The first stage in addiction is admitting you have a problem, so I applaud you for taking the first big step. The brilliant support group here will aid you with your new addiction, just don't go to the dark side! There are a lot of players here who will division up with you and show you even more *shudders* fun! 

Anyway, joking aside, I hope you have great fun! And if you need any help, just let us know! :D

1,266 posts
13 battles

A bit late, but welcome to the forums and the game! Haha, I loved your introduction post, very creative! We're here if you need anything. :)