You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
John_Paul_Nelson

Welcome to World of Destroyers again

41 comments in this topic

Members
36 posts
9,445 battles

Well here it comes World of Destroyers, smoke stop spray torps, smoke stop spray torps, and shoot at whatever can't see you.

How this can be called challenging or skillful is beyond me, meanwhile everybody wonders why BBs don't push, [edited] even cruisers with out smoke are getting creamed.

But above all HE rules, AP hardly citidals any more so again BBs get screwed,

so smoke has been nerfed what a joke, you still have to be within torp range to see enemy even when firing and torpedoes are not counted as main armament for DDs so again

World of Destroyers.

OK you skillful DD guys start your yelling.........................

OK I ADMIT IT I STARTED THIS CRY BABY THING SO I COULD PROMOTE MY IDEA

MOVING SMOKE, INSTEAD OF STATIONARY SMOKE HAVE IT DRIFT SO SHIPS USING IT HAVE TO ADJUST AND IT'S MORE REALISTIC.........

• Cool 1

[KENT]
Members
480 posts
3,035 battles
8 minutes ago, John_Paul_Nelson said:

Well here it comes World of Destroyers, smoke stop spray torps, smoke stop spray torps, and shoot at whatever can't see you.

How this can be called challenging or skillful is beyond me, meanwhile everybody wonders why BBs don't push, hell even cruisers with out smoke are getting creamed.

so smoke has been nerfed what a joke, you still have to be within torp range to see enemy even when firing and torpedoes are not counted as main armament for DDs so again

World of Destroyers.

So... You want to...

See Torpedo DD nerfs (Even though the Shima underperforms out of all of the DDs)

See BBs able to push w/o fearing anything (since cruisers fighting BBs is just a good meme)

More AP cits (again, screw cruisers)

BB smoke firing

Torpedoes killing concealment (not sure what balance or even historical relevance this has, last time i checked dropping a metal rod into the ocean doesn't look as bright as firing 356 mm cannons, also screws torp DD even more)

Overall BB buffs?

You realize DDs are meant to counter out BBs, right?

Edit: top 3 most played ships are BBs, and there's only one DD in the top 5.  So yeah, world of DDs amirite?

Edited by Slntreaper
  • Cool 2

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,024 posts
10,174 battles

It's the missions champ - but please post a "I am quitting" thread to go along with this one ....

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
4,771 posts
13,567 battles

Its the second time today I've gotten the message from Fleet Command. 

DQzCWvF.gif

• Cool 1

[WOLF4]
Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles

Interesting. 

I usually stay away from the "nerf this line/buff that line" discussions. However, I am noticing a few things:

1. Recent changes such as the RN bb's with HE as main ammunition type, plus AP pen stuff APPEAR to be encouraging battleships to take shots at destroyers that they would likely not have in the past. 

2. Because of more practice naturally the player body is getting better at sniping destroyers with BBs. I'm finding I have to be more on my toes these days in a destroyer. 

What's really weird is that given the overall general nerfs to destroyers with the firing from smoke changes is that I'm still seeing a lot of games with 4-5 destroyers a side. 

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,395 battles
1 hour ago, John_Paul_Nelson said:

I'm not gonna yell, that's just mean. I am going to tell you why all of your points are out of place, though!

1 hour ago, John_Paul_Nelson said:

This is a valid game tactic. There's nothing wrong with firing over islands, nor firing in a smoke screen. Provided you're maneuvering your ship, even a battleship can evade the lazy arcs of the shells fired by a USN DD. Besides, if we're firing over islands and you're still spotted, chances are you have either A) Overextended and are being punished for it or B) Have engaged solo without team support, making yourself a prime feas... target. DDs as you have seen have the lowest health pool of all the ships in this game, and because battleships can penetrate us and take out massive chunks of our health pool, we prefer not to get shot at by you. Besides, our job is to support the team in whatever ways we can, be that with cap control, map control, or artillery support.

How this can be called challenging or skillful is beyond me, meanwhile everybody wonders why BBs don't push, hell even cruisers with out smoke are getting creamed.

BBs can push all they want, but if they don't have team support, then they'll die just as easily as any old cruiser that tries to push. They tend to figure that out at the lower tiers. Same goes for cruisers; though they rely on the battleships taking a lot of the fire in order to be effective with their guns in a push or engagement. And as such, I just explained as to why DD play is more challenging than what you think. It requires a lot of brain power and understanding of the maps to be successful. You also require a certain degree of map awareness. If one DD is really holding your team back from pushing, then that's a problem with the team, not DDs being OP because they're not challenging or skillful.

Destroyer AP is weaker at range, and is not very good for fighting unless you're really close and your arcs are flat on to the target. HE is repairable, and the fires they cause are one hundred percent repairable. I don't see the problem here. And if you're not getting those citadels that you crave, it's most likely that you're not aiming the guns properly at their broadside, or bow, or stern, etc. Try practicing in a training room to hone your accuracy. Better yet, before you take your BB out, look at the armor models of some of the ships you'll be fighting. You can see exactly where you need your shells to land and will give you a better idea on where to hit certain cruisers.

Smoke itself wasn't nerfed, the visibility when firing guns in smoke was, however. This was not a nerf to destroyers though, it was a nerf to ships with much larger guns, like, say, your Dunkerque; so I can see why that would upset you. And again, not all DDs have amazing torpedoes that are super effective at all ranges. Japanese torpedoes are fast and easier to detect, American torpedoes are slow and hard to lead, Russian torpedoes have suicidal ranges with their lower tier boats, etc. Torpedoes are perfect for targets that aren't maneuvering, or sitting still in smoke screens, or hiding behind islands, etc. They're not the main armament, obviously, because they take so long to reload. They may do a lot of damage, but again, they're far slower than something like, a cannon shell, that travels at speeds of over 1500 knots. In comparison, torpedoes can't even do 90 knots. They're so easy to dodge if you just wiggle the ship a little bit.

Right... I think I'm done. Yay. Now it's time to read the other replies posted now... :Smile_popcorn:

Edited by AllysaRockz
Accidentally hit submit... pfft (Finished)
  • Cool 2

WoWS Wiki Editor
7,205 posts
6,433 battles

Please show me on this doll where that mean mean Destroyer touched you...

J0SqBeN.jpg

Oh, and obligatory

oCVLMKF.gif

• Cool 1

Members
6,626 posts
25,277 battles

Boohoo!

The underage ship hit me!

Oh please!

I play DDs, cruisers, and BBs, I do not complain, just adapt and overcome whatever situation presents itself (I do not CV but don't hate them or fear them as much as you seem to hate DDs).

[HINON]
Supertester
18,911 posts
12,446 battles
54 minutes ago, BiggieD61 said:

but please post a "I am quitting" thread to go along with this one ....

Why? They never actually stay gone after an "I quit!" crying thread.

• Cool 2

[NDA]
Supertester
4,771 posts
13,567 battles
9 minutes ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

This tread in summary;

wwhIoDu.gif

I almost need you on speed dial, this is the second forum thread where I've thought this gif was needed. 

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
Just now, RedSeaBear said:

I almost need you on speed dial, this is the second forum thread where I've thought this gif was needed. 

Well you can get the gif from the source;

In fact all the gifs I use come from this thread.

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles
8 minutes ago, Lert said:

Why? They never actually stay gone after an "I quit!" crying thread.

Too true remember that one guy from this, or this? They stayed.

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,213 battles
30 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

Please show me on this doll where that mean mean Destroyer touched you...

J0SqBeN.jpg

Oh, and obligatory

oCVLMKF.gif

OP, you know how to deal with DDs? It's called HE them to death, asap, :cap_rambo::cap_rambo::cap_rambo::cap_rambo: When I BB I love to delete DD (it can be done).

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,213 battles

Now, folks, let us respond to OP's contention that this is WoDD.

I have 40 ships & there are the 4 basic class types;

I find I have 10 DDs = 25% - an exact average per class/type. 7 BBs =  approx. 16%, 6 CVs = approx. 14% & 17 Cs = approx. 45%.

Quite often one hears WoWS is WoBB. I figure most player ports have more Cruisers than anything else.

How about we enlighten OP with some more individual player percentages/totals ... 

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,192 battles
17 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Does anyone have overall stats on DD survival rate to the end of battle?

loool yeah they are bad

Beta Testers
1,464 posts
8,728 battles
1 hour ago, kerensky914 said:

Spoken like a BB main who hasn't bothered to play a DD.

Given the complaints, that would have been a good guess, However actually, he has played 48% of his games in Randoms in CA/CLs to only 41% in BBs.  He has also played DDs, but only in 9% of his games.  Even in Coop, he plays more CAs/CLs (64%) than BBs (26%).  DDs are still low at 5%.  Although, in Ranked, he does favor BBs (50%) over CA/CLs (35%) and DDs (9%).  He has played CVs in all three types, coming in lowest of all the number of battles played per class and battle type.  So while it may have been a good guess that he mains BBs and has not played destroyers, that would not be the case here.

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,143 posts
6,479 battles

Idk, I like destroyers a lot, but I win more in battleships than any other class and it's simply because if I play equally well it's much easier to control the flow of a match in a battleship most of the time.  Destroyers are a latent threat but only to battleships, a destroyer or cruiser shouldn't spend much time sweating them and a carrier driver who has some sense can take a destroyer completely out of the game unless it's one of the few high tier destroyers that have reasonably good AA.

As far as I'm concerned destroyers and battleships are both in a reasonable place, especially battleships, it's cruisers and carriers that need work, not battleships.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,472 battles
Just now, Sotaudi said:

Given the complaints, that would have been a good guess, However actually, he has played 48% of his games in Randoms in CA/CLs to only 41% in BBs.  He has also played DDs, but only in 9% of his games.  Even in Coop, he plays more CAs/CLs (64%) than BBs (26%).  DDs are still low at 5%.  Although, in Ranked, he does favor BBs (50%) over CA/CLs (35%) and DDs (9%).  He has played CVs in all three types, coming in lowest of all the number of battles played per class and battle type.  So while it may have been a good guess that he mains BBs and has not played destroyers, that would not be the case here.

I said "spoken like" not "obviously he is". :)  Besides, can you find anyone that has *all* BB and CL plays, and zero DD?