You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DingBat

Is Wargaming playing with the detonation numbers?

42 comments in this topic

[WOLF4]
Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles

This is not an anti-detonation rant. Even as a DD main I don't really care about detonations one way or another. It's a game mechanic. If they take it away, I don't care. If they leave it, I don't care. 

But what sparked this thread is that I've experienced 8 detonations in the last 3 days, which was about 30-35 games. So I'm running about a 25% detonation rate in this stretch. I had back to back detonations in two sets of games on the weekend.

I did some cursory searching and people who've put some effort into this seem to indicate the chance for detonation is somewhere between 1-10%. It's definitely possible to see that kind of string of results, but it does seem "lucky" (or anomalous). And so the inquiry as to whether someone is tweaking the RNG as some kind of experiment or even a broken RNG is a possibility. Yeah, yeah, small sample is small. 

The 8 dets I've had recently are probably more than I've experienced in my entire previous "career" on WoWs. 

Not running any flags that might affect detonations one way or another. 

[SF-A]
Members
2,843 posts
5,547 battles

It seems unlikely that they are messing with anything. There's just no clear motive.

Side Note: If you want to farm det flags, get fire and flooding flags and play T2 randoms. Tons of little magazines.

[USCC2]
Members
3,408 posts

Ok, there was a period where I had 4 dets in a 24hr period! It was just after I bought the Gallant so 3 of those were in her alone. Incredible bad luck lol. I also clocked up around 8 dets covering a 2 week period (inclusive of the above mentioned 24 hrs). It worked out at a 20% det rate lol.

However, it soon went back down to something like 1%. Dev Strikes are maybe 5%.

[SYN]
Members
14,345 posts
10,218 battles

No, they (RNG) are playing with only your detonation numbers

[SUCIT]
Members
765 posts
3,487 battles

I've detonated in my Yamato followed by my FDG in back to back games before without taking a torpedo hit.  It's just RNG giving you the finger.  I don't think there's been a patch in the last few days, and I don't think they can hotfix that.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

We will never really know unless WG tells us.

Even then, we can really never be 100% sure.

If life has taught me anything, it's anything is possible.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,775 battles
1 hour ago, MrDeaf said:

No, they (RNG) are playing with only your detonation numbers

See, you don't have to worry about WoW persecuting DD's; you just have to worry about WoW persecuting you!

(Don't you feel better now?)

[SALT]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,660 posts
2,671 battles

I feel you ding bat. I just bought the Podvoisky yesterday, first match out was a nice 42k damage match. I was like, oh yeah, this thing is nice. 2nd match, I get up to 7k damage and a single Emile shell hits me for a detonation with the -70% mod on. I laugh it off going "WOOT FREE FLAGS!"

Very next match another damn Emile detonates me with the first salvo again.

#WHYyouHATEmeFRANCE

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,788 posts

Random chance.   When I saw your thread title I actually thought you meant they had reduced them, since I haven't seen it happen in a while.

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,679 posts
3,459 battles

Game balance can almost always be related back to Battleships.

Do detonations happen frequently enough to impact the BB main portion of the player base?

If yes then start looking into a fix.

If no then do nothing.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,399 posts
25,196 battles

They DO tinker with the det chance. After 0.5.8 they jacked it up, and the forum exploded with people complaining. Some people were in consecutive games  with multiple dets. They tamped it back down in the next patch.

However, I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary, and I play regularly. 

Alpha Tester
3,322 posts
3,761 battles

I feel like I've seen a bit more BB HE against destroyers, especially with the RN BB becoming more common and influencing the play of other lines. That can cause detonations pretty frequently.

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,252 posts
7,648 battles

The chance of detonating is always 100% if you have recently ran out of det flags.

Members
1,547 posts
9,786 battles

I experienced a detonation in my Iron Duke. Something I read wasn't even possible since her magazine is below the waterline. 

[SALT]
3,660 posts
2,671 battles
4 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I experienced a detonation in my Iron Duke. Something I read wasn't even possible since her magazine is below the waterline. 

Shell or Torpedo because Torpedo doesn't care if it's below the waterline :cap_book:

Members
1,547 posts
9,786 battles
Just now, Azumazi said:

Shell or Torpedo because Torpedo doesn't care if it's below the waterline :cap_book:

The hull at waterline is armoured. I've been hit by torps many times without detonation. Only deep water torps would be able to do such damage by the DD was American. 

latest?cb=20130704154716

[SALT]
3,660 posts
2,671 battles
1 minute ago, STINKWEED_ said:

The hull at waterline is armoured. I've been hit by torps many times without detonation. Only deep water torps would be able to do such damage by the DD was American. 

latest?cb=20130704154716

I've detonated many battleships with my Destroyers with torps. That RNG can still pop those mags and I've done it with IJN and US DD's. My favorite was popping Bismarck's the most as that thin portion at the front bow with that forward turret is almost a 50/50 deto chance with Akatsuki.

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,679 posts
3,459 battles

Det chance means a magazine got hit. The closer it is to 100% module damage the higher the det chance on the dice roll.

That's why DDs det every 30 games, Cruisers every 300 and BBs every 800 or so.

Not a BB problem, not a problem.

[SALT]
3,660 posts
2,671 battles

I honestly just want the stupid zero damage HE splash detonating DD's to get removed. That's just obnoxious.

• Cool 1

Members
1,547 posts
9,786 battles
4 minutes ago, Azumazi said:

I've detonated many battleships with my Destroyers with torps. That RNG can still pop those mags and I've done it with IJN and US DD's. My favorite was popping Bismarck's the most as that thin portion at the front bow with that forward turret is almost a 50/50 deto chance with Akatsuki.

We are talking about RN BBs. They are completely different from the other ships because of the location of their magazines. Do a bit of online research. 

[SALT]
3,660 posts
2,671 battles
Just now, STINKWEED_ said:

We are talking about RN BBs. They are completely different from the other ships because of the location of their magazines. Do a bit of online research. 

Considering I've detonated an Orion, Iron Duke, KGV, and Nelson. Yeah, having no issues so far. Also, Nelson and KGV was with the Benson's torps.

You might want to go do some research.

Members
1,547 posts
9,786 battles
Just now, Azumazi said:

Considering I've detonated an Orion, Iron Duke, KGV, and Nelson. Yeah, having no issues so far. Also, Nelson and KGV was with the Benson's torps.

You might want to go do some research.

OK pussycat, whatever you say. I've had more battles in RN ships tiers 3-9 than you have in total battles and never once (other than this time) have I had a detonation.

Read: