You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Dr_Venture

The skill level in this game is gone...

246 comments in this topic

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,704 posts
4,491 battles

Took out my Amagi this evening...and played about 5 games. 

5 GAMES BEING BURNED TO THE F'ING WATERLINE!

Seriously...what the hell happened to this game? You used to have to angle your ship, try and bounce some shells but it seems everyone and their mother just lazily throws HE and kites whilst you try and hit them. The British BB line has got to be the most lazy gimmick line I have ever seen in this game...that is all they do...kite...cloak...spam HE....it's annoying when a 14 inch gun battleship can do more damage to you with fires than you can slinging 10 16 inch AP shells. I think I got hit with ap shells less than 20 times in those 5 matches? 

The fire damage needs to get toned down dramatically, it's literally removing all need for skill in this game. All you have to do now is kite and throw HE shells...and that is not the spirit of this game. Or being constructive, WG'ing could start lowering the fire chances on ALOT of ships...it's getting ridiculous. 

I have also concluded high tier CV play: if you have an american cv vs japanese, you're going to lose.

• Cool 12

[KENT]
Members
480 posts
3,023 battles

1. Brit BB is blatantly OP.  But that's the only really bad HE spam thing.  The rest is fine, since they have lower fire chance.

2. USN CVs are getting buff, 2-2-2 Midway

• Cool 1

WoWS Wiki Editor
7,197 posts
6,422 battles
16 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

The fire damage needs to get toned down dramatically, it's literally removing all need for skill in this game. All you have to do now is kite and throw HE shells...and that is not the spirit of this game. Or being constructive, WG'ing could start lowering the fire chances on ALOT of ships...it's getting ridiculous. 

And thereby remove one of the few Tools that Cruisers have to somehow face a Battleship?

• Cool 3

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,704 posts
4,491 battles
6 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

And thereby remove one of the few Tools that Cruisers have to somehow face a Battleship?

AP on the super structure farms more damage actually. 

[ML-S]
Members
283 posts
4,019 battles
2 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

I’m pretty sure my IFHE 155 Mogami will deal more damage with HE.

• Cool 1

[DRACS]
Members
3,338 posts

Those HE flinging RN BBs are also targeting other BBs instead of shooting at cruisers like they should be. BBs that can heal most of it back. There's a reason why their collective win rate isn't that high when compared to their damage numbers. I am MUCH more afraid of a good Amagi player than I am a Monarch player.

• Cool 3

Members
819 posts
3,823 battles
Just now, KaptainKaybe said:

Those HE flinging RN BBs are also targeting other BBs instead of shooting at cruisers like they should be. BBs that can heal most of it back. There's a reason why their collective win rate isn't that high when compared to their damage numbers. I am MUCH more afraid of a good Amagi player than I am a Monarch player.

British battleships are pretty much cannon fodder at this point...

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,364 posts
7,930 battles
14 minutes ago, Slntreaper said:

2. USN CVs are getting buff, 2-2-2 Midway

If by "Buff" you mean they are adding 2 tier 8 TB squads easily swatted by most tier 10 ships they will see if they just focus fire and/or have BFT, let alone the flag, manual AA, or the slot 3 module that adds 25% to their DPS not to mention not being an idiot and running off alone. And the only way high tier USN should be losing against IJN is if the team can't deal damage to make up for USN's handicapped ability to do damage, or they are terrible at playing or in general using, strike. 

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,395 battles
32 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

If something like a Japanese cruiser is kiting and lobbing HE your way, I see nothing wrong with that. That's how they play. Predict their movements, aim, fire. And remember, you don't have to fire all your guns at them when they're loaded. Try staggering your shots and baiting them to open up the broadside when you still have some guns loaded.

Now if the ship doing that is a British BB that sets you on fire four times every salvo... well... yeah, that's just broken and not fun to deal with. You'll just have to wait for WG to address that issue. Either that, or run the premium damage control to help deal with fires before they burn you out, or invest four points in FP.

• Cool 3

WoWS Wiki Editor
7,197 posts
6,422 battles
Just now, Dr_Venture said:

Until you Play a Cruiser that does not have good Penetration when facing angled plates.

And even then, fires deal more damage. For multiple reasons.

For one, These superstructure shots, especially over medium to Long range, are inconsistent. The Superstructure on angled Battleships is target with many opportunities to ricochet, and it's not like there are also huge turrets that will love to eat your Shells.

Secondly, damage Saturation will affect your damage Output into the superstructure. Fires however are not affected.

• Cool 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,542 posts
13,992 battles
9 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Pretty much this.  In the stats WG provided, RN BBs are shooting at other BBs at least 90% of the time, which is insanely high, so naturally other BB players don't like it when another of their kind breaks the "Battleship Bro Code" and shoot at Cruisers instead of other Battleships :Smile_teethhappy:

RN BBs pass on some dangerous Cruisers out there.  Go ahead and let that Hindenburg, Zao, Moskva, Minotaur, Kutuzov, Belfast, Fiji, etc. get away.  Please, continue to do so.  Us Cruiser Main players like that :Smile_glasses:

2 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

Until you Play a Cruiser that does not have good Penetration when facing angled plates.

And even then, fires deal more damage. For multiple reasons.

For one, These superstructure shots, especially over medium to Long range, are inconsistent. The Superstructure on angled Battleships is target with many opportunities to ricochet, and it's not like there are also huge turrets that will love to eat your Shells.

Secondly, damage Saturation will affect your damage Output into the superstructure. Fires however are not affected.

Even that supposed Magical RN CL AP?  I can play my Battleship, go bow on to the RN CL gunfire, and focus and kill their vulnerable friend, while I totally ignore the plinking the RN CL is hitting me with for minimal to no damage.  Once that RN CL's friend is dealt with, then I swing my BB guns to deal with that annoying Cruiser.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[DRACS]
Members
3,338 posts

Exactly. There is this perception by some that cruisers are harmless. But when said cruiser is ripping apart your CVs squadrons and shelling your incredibly important DDs into oblivion, they should by now know better.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,542 posts
13,992 battles
Just now, KaptainKaybe said:

Exactly. There is this perception by some that cruisers are harmless. But when said cruiser is ripping apart your CVs squadrons and shelling your incredibly important DDs into oblivion, they should by now know better.

Like Hindenburg.  Conquerors are passing up on nailing that ship, which then goes onto hammering people with those German Efficient Shells with high velocity, long range, and 8.8 second reloads.  By all means, I'm sure the Hindy players just LOVE BEING IGNORED :Smile_teethhappy:

• Cool 1

[DRACS]
Members
3,338 posts
3 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Like Hindenburg.  Conquerors are passing up on nailing that ship, which then goes onto hammering people with those German Efficient Shells with high velocity, long range, and 8.8 second reloads.  By all means, I'm sure the Hindy players just LOVE BEING IGNORED :Smile_teethhappy:

Heh, I wish I could be one of those. For some reason, I've been doing worse in my Hindy since the buff, lol. Fantastic boat. Plus I love yolo charging battleships with it, because it's actually doable contrary to, say, a Des Moines which blows up if you look at it funny.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,542 posts
13,992 battles
7 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Heh, I wish I could be one of those. For some reason, I've been doing worse in my Hindy since the buff, lol. Fantastic boat. Plus I love yolo charging battleships with it, because it's actually doable contrary to, say, a Des Moines which blows up if you look at it funny.

It took me a while to "understand" Hindenburg.  I was getting rekt early on with her.  By the time things started to click with her, the German Cruiser HE Buff was about ready to hit.

I remember when I first got her I used to complain about how bad Hindy was, one of the other players went into how wrong I was.  To put it kindly :Smile_teethhappy:  Anyways, when I finally understood her before the German Cruiser HE Buff, I was amazed why she wasn't more popular.  Now?  She's a known factor and you'd be stupid to not get her if you like any Cruiser play whatsoever.

Edit:  My problem with her when I first got her?  I play aggressively and that got me rekt with her.  Badly.  I had to reign in that aggression.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
2,865 posts
1,365 battles
38 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

Mmaaaayyyyybe, they should make Cruiser AP more effective vs BBs.  Honestly, the Cruiser AP cant penetrate the 32mm side plates and 32mm bows on BBs?  Get one side on and shoot the bow, shoot the super structure, shoot the upper works, shoot off the secondaries.  I played the Atlanta a little and honestly had more effect with AP into the upper works, over HE spamming and hoping for fires. 

There was some video on youtube where an Atlanta driver killed some T8 BB or something with just AP to the bow.  No, you cant force through the belt, but the belt is a small strip along the waterline, you still have the rest of the ship to shoot.  Hell, British AP fired from the AI wrecked the hell out of my NC's [edited]end..  Angled and turned to run away and got totally penned every shot. 

Honestly, I think its more like Cruisers dont want to have to work at all, so resort to HE spamming.  Ofc, BBs dont wanna work either, they just want Citadel on every hit and DDs want uber high Torp success rate.  Its a general laziness of the player base....

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,079 battles
24 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

I am MUCH more afraid of a good Amagi player than I am a Monarch player.

Sure, but you just picked the most "meh" tier of the Brit BB line to compare. I'd much rather have to deal with a Nagato than a KGV. Much rather deal with an Izumo than a Lion. Much rather a Yamato than a Conqueror. You can say that those fires can just be healed back. Sorry, but if you're constantly being lit on nearly every salvo, along with 7k-17k alpha hit coming with them, the damage will outpace your repair before you get a chance.

• Cool 3

[DRACS]
Members
3,338 posts
5 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Edit:  My problem with her when I first got her?  I play aggressively and that got me rekt with her.  Badly.  I had to reign in that aggression.

I find Hindy is great at being both aggressive and distant. Her shell velocity makes it easy to hit targets from far, while her generously spread armor protection and torpedoes makes her nasty up close. Plus up close, her AP is much more reliable ... and we all know what German cruiser AP can do to unwary cruiser players.

The drawback to Hindy is she's less stellar in areas with loads of island cover. Her flat trajectory means that while other cruisers are good at lobbing shells over islands, Hindy (and by extension, Moskva) is less so. So I've had tons of Hindy matches where I couldn't get a proper line of sight to enemy targets. Ironically, for a cruiser, she's actually quite good out in the open as long her captain knows how to WASD constantly. At least that's been my experience.

WoWS Wiki Editor
7,197 posts
6,422 battles
1 minute ago, KnightFandragon said:

Mmaaaayyyyybe, they should make Cruiser AP more effective vs BBs.  Honestly, the Cruiser AP cant penetrate the 32mm side plates and 32mm bows on BBs?  Get one side on and shoot the bow, shoot the super structure, shoot the upper works, shoot off the secondaries.  I played the Atlanta a little and honestly had more effect with AP into the upper works, over HE spamming and hoping for fires. 

There was some video on youtube where an Atlanta driver killed some T8 BB or something with just AP to the bow.  No, you cant force through the belt, but the belt is a small strip along the waterline, you still have the rest of the ship to shoot.  Hell, British AP fired from the AI wrecked the hell out of my NC's [edited]end..  Angled and turned to run away and got totally penned every shot. 

Honestly, I think its more like Cruisers dont want to have to work at all, so resort to HE spamming.  Ofc, BBs dont wanna work either, they just want Citadel on every hit and DDs want uber high Torp success rate.  Its a general laziness of the player base....

This of course assumes that the Battleship ignores you and Shows you the flat side of his ship.

But how much AP damage can the Atlanta consistently deal against a Battleship that went bow on?

[DRACS]
Members
3,338 posts
3 minutes ago, Ju87s said:

Sure, but you just picked the most "meh" tier of the Brit BB line to compare. I'd much rather have to deal with a Nagato than a KGV. Much rather deal with an Izumo than a Lion. Much rather a Yamato than a Conqueror. You can say that those fires can just be healed back. Sorry, but if you're constantly being lit on nearly every salvo, along with 7k-17k alpha hit coming with them, the damage will outpace your repair before you get a chance.

Oh man ... I am MUCH more afraid of a Yamato than a Conqueror. A Conqueror is an annoying pest. A Yamato can one shot me. Only one of those has hyper penetrative shells and a 2.1 sigma.

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
40 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

The monarch is a butterfly ship 18.1 range it is often placed in tier 10 battles. It is out gunned by most ships at that tier. It has weak armor but great repair party. When focused on by two ships even the repair is worthless. Sure they fire HE and do 1/2 the damage of AP. Stop tanking them and the HE becomes useless.Slow turning and Large turning circle with slow rudder,all add up to easy kills. Kite from one and the HE will devastate you,but stay and fight your chances double you will win in a shooting match. I know this from Dying in it multiple times in a row. Maybe once every 5th game I do well but only because the enemy kites and fights. Wrong thing to do with a Monarch.Running from her is the wrong thing it is her strength.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,763 posts
12,866 battles
47 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

As I run the UK line (currently grinding the Monarch)...I still use AP most of the time.

[DETN8]
[DETN8]
Members
1,662 posts
16,079 battles
14 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Oh man ... I am MUCH more afraid of a Yamato than a Conqueror. A Conqueror is an annoying pest. A Yamato can one shot me. Only one of those has hyper penetrative shells and a 2.1 sigma.

Not me. Whether I'm in a cruiser or a BB, I can for the most part angle and at the very least make myself an unattractive target for the Yamato. The Yamato will most likely keep itself bow on and camped somewhere, and if it shows its side, you can punish the hell out of it. The Conq basically has a non-existent citadel, will still get nasty alpha hits on me regardless of angle, can go invisible at less than 12km, and can heal itself back from the dead with its ridiculous repair party. I'll face a Yammy any day over the Conq.

• Cool 2