You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
JochenHeiden

So I just finished the Nagato, is Amagi better?

18 comments in this topic

[RUSHB]
Members
863 posts
7,847 battles

2fd4cc9425521b38ba1bfc7656569915.png

So this is what I managed to do in the Nagato.  Is Amagi any good or should I stop playing Japanese battleships?

[PVE]
Members
1,225 posts
4,744 battles

Grinding Amagi now and using a secondary build so far I really like her! 

• Cool 1

[--V--]
Members
482 posts
10,633 battles

I enjoyed my Nagato grind.  With her 16" guns and speed she's in a nice spot at T7.  At least when she's not in a T9 match.  Did ok with Amagi, but to bring all guns to bear, you really have to expose yourself a lot.  Did that a lot,,, at the wrong times,,,, and was hammered for it.  So it isn't my favorite BB.

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,279 battles

Nagato was good.  Amagi was gooder.  Izumo is...well...Izumo is Izumo.  Izumo = pain...serious pain, until fully upgraded.  Then Izumo is...passable?  Yamato is a giant, slow moving beast that can one-shot darned near anything...if you hit it.  Yamato is kind of like...(trigger warning):

Spoiler

rCRXOXr.jpg

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

Last IJN BB I enjoyed full is the Fuso... man I can kick stern in her/it. Amagi is good... then holder your breath for the upward grind to the big one... I actually prefer the Fuso to the Amagi and/or the Nagato. I'm weird. 

Tirpitz is good. 

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,226 battles
1 hour ago, desmo_2 said:

Nagato was good.  Amagi was gooder.  Izumo is...well...Izumo is Izumo.  Izumo = pain...serious pain, until fully upgraded.  Then Izumo is...passable?  Yamato is a giant, slow moving beast that can one-shot darned near anything...if you hit it.  Yamato is kind of like...(trigger warning):

Reveal hidden contents

rCRXOXr.jpg

The Yamato is all about pounding.

Beta Testers
1,013 posts
13,583 battles
2 hours ago, JochenHeiden said:

So this is what I managed to do in the Nagato.  Is Amagi any good or should I stop playing Japanese battleships?

Seriously a KD of 38 to 0 ? in 21 games...impressive ....most impressive.

[RUSHB]
Members
863 posts
7,847 battles
14 minutes ago, SgtSpud said:

Seriously a KD of 38 to 0 ? in 21 games...impressive ....most impressive.

Well 38:1!  I died once during my grind because of an absolutely atrocious potato team.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,385 posts
10,165 battles
9 hours ago, JochenHeiden said:

Amagi is definitely better than Nagato. Faster with more guns and the armor is actually much better (ie; it exists). If you could make the guns work on Nagato you should do well in Amagi. I didn't care for it but I haven't liked most of the IJN BB's. Like Fuso and love Yamato. The rest I disliked to varying degrees.

I actually skipped Izumo completely. Got to Amagi, ground through it (ugh it was a horrible experience) so I could research Izumo and then used Free XP to research all the upgrades on Izumo and then research Yamato so I could 100% bypass the turd that is Izumo. FWIW this is what you need for XP to get to Yamato once you have Amagi...

• Research Izumo = 178000 XP
  • Izumo Hull B = 44000 FXP
  • Izumo Hull C = 60000 FXP
  • Izumo Gun Fire Control System = 26000 FXP
  • Izumo Propulsion = 16000 FXP
  • Research Yamato = 249000 FXP

So if you liked Nagato definitely get Amagi as it is a Nagato on roids. Yamato is the best IJN BB so it is worth spending all that Free XP to get past Izumo.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,279 battles
44 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I actually skipped Izumo completely. Got to Amagi, ground through it (ugh it was a horrible experience) so I could research Izumo and then used Free XP to research all the upgrades on Izumo and then research Yamato so I could 100% bypass the turd that is Izumo.

You have not endured the right of passage.  One must suffer before being allowed on the bridge of Yamato.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,385 posts
10,165 battles
51 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

You have not endured the right of passage.  One must suffer before being allowed on the bridge of Yamato.

I suffered the rest of the IJN BB line to get there AND spent a butt load of valuable Free XP. Close enough. LOL

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,612 posts
14,017 battles

A good Amagi player is annoying to deal with.  They know how to play with that quirky protection the ship has.  I know German BB players in Bismarck were commenting how they couldn't citadel Amagi despite being in 10km or less from one.

IIRC, Nagato has better sigma, but Amagi's is still good as well as packing more guns.  She's also faster so that brings more options to the player.  If you need to run, you'll appreciate Amagi's speed and turret layout compared to Nagato's.

Since this game went live, Amagi has never been bad at any patch.  Like Atago, she just keeps on going.  North Carolina has had many troubled statistical performances and had to receive many, many buffs just so she can be where she is at now in Tier VIII BB performance.  Bismarck, Tirpitz come in.  Alabama has been amazing.  But all through this, Amagi keeps doing very well and has never come even close to sucking.

People like to put Yamato as the highlight of the IJN BB line.  That idea has merit, but Amagi is pretty dang close to being the jewel of this line.  She hits a lot of good notes.

- Mass of guns.

- Good accuracy.

- Good speed.

- Good protection.

- Decent secondaries.

Very few BBs up and down the tiers pack that kind of balance.  Bismarck is tough as nails, great secondaries, very fast.  But she packs some of the worst guns a BB can have, tier for tier and makes her unreliable if having to duel with guns.  Fuso is well loved in Tier VI due to her 12 gun Shotgun Salvo and great damage dealing.  Speed is pretty good at Tier VI.  But her armor is suspect.  Yamato has magnificent guns but "only" 9 of them, so if your aim is off, you aren't hitting s--t.  Her secondaries are great but she has some critical protection flaws and she sails like s--t.

Amagi is just one of those BBs that simply hits a lot of the right notes.  Her only big weakness are against Carriers.  You need to respect them because when I play a CV, if I see an Amagi on the enemy roster, I'm keeping a close eye to pounce on her.  Her AA is very mediocre and she likes wide turns, bad traits to have when the TBs come.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway