You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Yasha

Is it time to start over?

53 comments in this topic

[WOLF7]
Beta Testers
109 posts
1,366 battles

(Editorial note Mar 30, 2018 - see updates by the Original Poster four months after taking the advice of this posts respondents. How did it work out?)

I am rated a terrible player. My win rate is 45.54% in 224 battles, and my kills / deaths ratio is 0.57. My best ships are only tier IV - IJN battleships, cruisers and destroyers, along with the US BB Wyoming.

To dig myself out of this hole to 50% doesn't seem possible in the short or mid term. I am seriously considering abandoning this account and starting over, in the hopes I'll accumulate a better record and appear more useful to clans.

Why am so bad? Back in 2014, in the last weeks of beta and the first weeks of live, I learned by painful trial-error-glug at the hands of beta veterans who knew WAY more about the game than me. My record was totally putrid. Then I came back a few days ago, and had to re-learn and re-remember all those painful lessons again. At least the low-tier battles are less demanding, with all the new Steam players flooding in the the game. Only recently have I learned about how the game represents citadel armor, shell angle and penetration math, how potent fires can be started with HE, etc..

My learning process was further handicapped by the fact that I have an extensive background in military history, including WWI and WWII naval history. Back in 2014 I kept trying to see if historical naval tactics would work. Of course they didn't, because most players don't know how to forum up and move together. I've been rammed or fired "through" (by guns as well as torpedoes) frequently by neighboring friendlies. Furthermore, the "angling armor" principle in the game means line abreast in echelon is theoretically best, followed by a column in echelon - formations not used in any WWI or WWII naval battle, except by accident (at best).

Finally, so far I've been a free-to-play player, which means I spent a lot of time leveling in ships with gimped speed, guns, torpedoes, etc. I've found that once I have a ship at the max for its tier, I do better with it. Nevertheless, my "best" captains only have 5 or 6 skill points, which I'm sure doesn't help either.

Some would ask, am I having fun with the game?  My answer is a qualified yes.  I can see that random battles is always be frustrating. I enjoy teamwork, and need to start looking for a clan, if only to be part of a division in a larger battle. My choices seems very narrowly limited by my poor stats. Right now, I'll need about 250 battles with a 55%+ victory record just to get me to an overall rating of 50%.

Edited by Yasha
  • Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,479 battles

250 battles is not very many.  I'm not a big fan of 'rerolling'.  Just division up with some good players and your win rate will improve.  Clans aren't even going to care about your win rate with that small a number of battles.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,987 posts
12,488 battles

Just what do you honestly think you would accomplish by starting over?

[NOOOB]
Members
1,441 posts
12,101 battles

Divisioning up is the best way to increase you win rate, if that is what you are looking for.

[TBW]
Members
6,354 posts
11,905 battles

Yes it is and and when you get to tier 6 you get a premium ship The Texas and other goodies if you use this link to do so. https://playtogether.worldofwarships.com/invite/xxEVbe1

That is the invite a friend link and if you start again you will have the knowledge you have gained and be able to reset your Stats. You do have to start a new account though.

18 minutes ago, Yasha said:

I am rated a terrible player. My win rate is 45.54% in 224 battles, and my kills / deaths ratio is 0.57. My best ships are only tier IV - IJN battleships, cruisers and destroyers, along with the US BB Wyoming.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,886 posts
8,179 battles

Hello

Calm down        screw win rate           set some new goals

1   Survive       2    don't worry about sinking ships     3 learn to do mage and survive     think of the game as a long term progress  

Pick one line like cruisers and watch vids, division up and learn the ropes.

I have about a 50% rate overall and some say I'm pretty good in my Fujin. Thats one boat out of 50 and thats good enough for me.

• Cool 1

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,238 battles
28 minutes ago, Yasha said:

Finally, so far I've been a free-to-play player

F2P, OK. No support for WG. What ARE you complaining about OP? You have chosen the slowest grind pathway.

You even have an Arkansas Beta. Do you have ANY of the upgrade slots filled on it? It has several to fill.

Not even 250 battles in all this time? A 5/6 skill pt Cpt is fine for T4 (the more skill pts the better, of course).

45.54% is likely right where you should be (it may actually be better than others who F2P).

Sure, OP, dump this account & start over. That's the ticket.

Members
270 posts

Keep going and don't place so much importance on the stats which are skewed anyway. Question is are you enjoying the game and learning. Each of us has a different learning curve just like real life. Stay with it and figure out new tactics to help you out. Me, I could care less if I am not the top in a game.

[AFW-]
Members
248 posts
9,746 battles

seeing as by the time you hit 5k games played this game may be over and done with maybe keep playing and just enjoy the game and dont worry about stats? you could also find your niche tier and get great stats by game 1k

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
5,473 posts
4,055 battles

Welcome back, Yasha.

I think you should keep with your current account. You know what you're doing wrong, so that's the first step done. Don't be afraid to switch to Co-op mode for practice. Once you feel more confident, then you can switch back over to Random mode. With just 250 battles, it won't take long at all to improve your WR once you've figured things out.

In the end, it's your choice. If you're okay with grinding through ships again, go for it. Just keep in mind that if you can't manage a 55% WR over 250 battles now, you probably won't be able to do the same on a new account.

Members
280 posts
9,331 battles

whatever you choose to do, stay below tier 5 for awhile. Jumping to higher tiers is no cure for a low win rate...

[LOU1]
Members
2,898 posts
8,004 battles

224 battles is a drop in the bucket as far as stats. The usual advice is not to reroll unless your performance has significantly improved.  In your case, it would be easy to raise your WR. You also don't want to lose that Ark Beta.

Right now, your stats show you have lost anout 20 more battles than you have won. If you win 3/5 of your battles at each session, you would be at around 50% in 10 sessions.

No need to reroll, especially not unless your current stats are where you want them.

Edited by ExploratorOne

[SF-A]
Members
2,853 posts
5,548 battles

You'll be alright. 250 games is a small enough sample size that you'll jump over 50% in no time.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,479 battles
14 minutes ago, aethervox said:

F2P, OK. No support for WG. What ARE you complaining about OP? You have chosen the slowest grind pathway.

You even have an Arkansas Beta. Do you have ANY of the upgrade slots filled on it? It has several to fill.

Not even 250 battles in all this time? A 5/6 skill pt Cpt is fine for T4 (the more skill pts the better, of course).

45.54% is likely right where you should be (it may actually be better than others who F2P).

Sure, OP, dump this account & start over. That's the ticket.

Oh yeah, you have Ark Beta?  OP, you are *nuts* if you start over.  Certifiable. 

43 minutes ago, Yasha said:

Right now, I'll need about 250 battles with a 55%+ victory record just to get me to an overall rating of 50%.

Please, forget all that nonsense and just learn to play the game.  You've barely begun to scratch the surface of it at this point.  Plenty of folks on here will help a player who has a good attitude and wants to learn, and there are plenty of clans that can do that as well.  They aren't all elitist snobs who sneer at anyone who doesn't have 5000 battles and a 70% win rate.

Members
2,156 posts
4,848 battles

you have too few battles for this to even be considered, even if it was a worthwhile reason to start a new account.

if you think you've improved enough to maintain a higher win rate, you will do so on this account before you reach 1k battles. if not, restarting will not help you anyways, and you'll just lose any progress you've already made.

like everyone has already said, you've barely got a drop in the bucket. and it's a really big bucket. just keep this account. you'll be fine. stats mean nothing. and even if they did, it's better to be honest with yourself than to look 'good' in front of a bunch of people who don't care anyways.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,745 posts
7,373 battles

Stick with it, don't make you've learned and earned be for naught. You'll have a much better appreciation for what you achieve, as well. You have a low round count, exacerbated by the length of time between them. You'll do fine, it just takes time, if you're willing to invest it. :)

[RUST]
Beta Testers
932 posts
10,357 battles

Do what you want, but re-rolling wouldn't magically make you a better player nor would it help your stats. After 2 years since going live, there are even more players that knows way more than you about the game. The advice is just to play the game, make mistakes, and learn from them; it's the only way to get good at this game. As other have said, 250 games is a tiny amount and if you play consistently your first 250 games will not count for much after you have a couple thousands games. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,249 posts
8,815 battles
1 hour ago, kerensky914 said:

250 battles is not very many.  I'm not a big fan of 'rerolling'.  Just division up with some good players and your win rate will improve.  Clans aren't even going to care about your win rate with that small a number of battles.

Some clans wouldn't even talk to him but there are many that are more social where they could help him get better while having fun at the same time.

[SALTY]
[SALTY]
Members
258 posts
4,622 battles

Just keep playing and improving, you only have 250 battles

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,479 battles
8 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Some clans wouldn't even talk to him but there are many that are more social where they could help him get better while having fun at the same time.

Aye, but those clans who won't talk to him are going to do so based on >250 battles, not his win rate.  They basically won't look at you until you have 1000+ battles minimum.

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
703 posts
11,737 battles

Wrote this the other day. I think item #5 is the most important one for you, brother. No need to create a new account.

Respects,

Am

[WOLF4]
Members
173 posts
1,280 battles

I could care less about win rate blah blah just numbers that mean nothing. What matters is that you are having a good time. Hey I will division with you but I play really early in the morning some where between 4:30am to 8 or 9ish on days off the rest of the day is for my family.

Beta Testers
1,468 posts
8,780 battles

At 224 battles, a 45.54% win rate means you have won 102 of those 224 battles.  If you were at a 50% win rate, you would be at only 112 battles won.  Think about that for a minute.  You are talking about giving up this account over only 10 battles, and in doing so, you would be giving up, at the very least, an Arkansas Beta, something you will never be able to get back on the new account.

Even then, a clan that is not going to consider you at 224 battles and 45.54% is not going to be that much more receptive at that many battles and a 50% win rate.

If you are concerned about your PvP win rate, go into Coop and get better at aiming, angling, and other mechanics where you will not affect your Random battle stats.  Once you get your Coop win rate and average damage significantly and consistently higher than the Coop average, go back to Randoms at lower levels and readapt to playing against other players, then worry about moving up.

Either way for what it is worth, I just can't help but picture Tom Hanks at the end of Saving Private Ryan grabbing Matt Damon by the lapel and saying, "Earn this."

Members
687 posts
3,667 battles

Where did we embrace this "I don't understand, or what to call it" concept of re-creating an account?  That is the true problem with tracking stats - as short term stats!  (And this assumes that stats are something you value.)

I gotta ask?  Is there anybody who would wonder if a player who dug himself out of a deep red hole to a green field over 5000 battles, wasn't worth more than a brand new blueberry who achieved purple in 500 matches?  (And there are who would even ask...um...what do you mean stats?)

Never let your past performance dictate your future, keep working!  There is one way we all can all have pride in our skills, we do this by measuring our improvement against ourselves.  The second you re-create yourself, you are rejecting your own growth. You are just raising your own personal bar to higher, and higher levels. There is something wrong with the concept that it is better to re-create ourselves (or appear to others?) as striding purple gods, when we keep falling down onto our saggy blue nappies.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1