Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

Nassau woes. May need some advice.

10 comments in this topic

Members
4,448 posts
6,150 battles

I play cruisers and as of late I am doing pretty good with them but awhile back I picked up the only BB i have....Nassau. Most give her high marks but I am sucking in her. 25% win rate for 20 matches.  Not a very large number of matches but I am not doing so good with her. Not sure why. BB play is new to me. Could just be inexperience in BBs.  I dunno. Anyone got any advice as how best to play her?  I seem to possibly be doing something wrong or could just be a streak of bad luck since I don't have many matches in her. I try and get in fairly close cause her guns just spray shells everywhere at her longer ranges. Help needed!  

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,134 posts
10,022 battles

Stay at mid ranges, just inside secondaries, keep an eagle eye for torps, and try to hang with cruisers, which are crunchier than you and go well with catsup.  

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,213 battles

#1) Don't brawl close in - torps can eat you if you do this.

#2) You have all the better modules researched & bought & all the upgrade slot(s) bought?

#3) What value Cpt & skills do you have on the Nassau? ( as a low tier BB I would have started out a 3 pt Cpt on it)

#4) BBs need sea room, that means avoiding channels & islands.

#5) Use camo & flags, as many as you can afford.

#6) Play at the medium to long 'range' of your Main Guns (max that out) and do not play camper or coward. Fire those heavies as much as possible.

You also have to note that T3 BBs are not that great. Better to play T4, 5 or 6. I, myself, am thinking of reacquiring the Bayern.

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles

Nassau is Tier 3.  Play 5 games and you will done with her.

Edited by desmo_2

[TF16B]
Members
8,062 posts
16,992 battles

Nassau, (and also Kawachi,) need to be firing as many guns as possible; if you can position yourself with enemies to the right and left off your bow, the you can fire those 'opposite side' turrets and not have them sitting idle all the time. If you do that and swing your rudder just a bit, you can enguage one target with 8 guns, (fwd turret, two rights and aft for example,) and another target with up to six guns, (two left turrets, plus the forward turret, depending on rotation of the turret.)

Shoot at the best target you can get; but if none is immediately available, shoot at anything with torpedoes. The sooner all of those die, the sooner you can get closer to other things and let Nassau's secondaries go to work.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,739 posts
7,358 battles

It's been...a year since I played Nassau. However, Konig Albert plays a lot like her. You aren't fast, so you have to keep your distance so you have time to avoid torpedoes, or avoid having them fired at you at all. Her turret layout means you can inflict a lot of hurt no matter where the reds happen to be. Stay away from channels between islands, try to always go around the outside of them, and don't hug the shoreline, you'll get ambushed if they see you doing that.

[WOLF4]
Members
173 posts
1,280 battles

Ok this is a simple explanation of how to succeed in the Nassau. She is slowish but so are most low tier BBs. You're only going to see tier 2/3/4 so research other BBs to see their weaknesses. I will say avoid Orion especially you will burn alive. The Nassau is not the most exceptional BB you have slow speed ok guns and secondaries that are mostly useless due to range. When you start a match follow the fleet this is not a good ship to hold the flank. Stay in the back. Should be DD up front spotting then cruiser supporting dd and then you supporting cruiser. Your main target is the enemy cruisers and then other BBs. Remember to angle your ship '/  never give full broadside unless no one is shooting at you and even then go back to angling after your shot. Use AP for cruisers and broadside BBs use HE for DDs and angled or bow on BBs. Don't put out a single fire unless your sure they won't RE light you up or HP is low and you have no choice. On thoughs rare occasions you are able to get into Brawling range of another BB your in for a treat probably my most favorite time in a BB.  Push through her Kaiser is better after that Konig is amazing and the Bayren is a Bully and Genius is just a thrill. German line is alot of fun and probably the best line to learn on imo. 

[MIA-I]
[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,712 posts
4,689 battles

Aim high, especially against enemy German Battleships.  Dispersion on the low tier German BBs is abysmal.  Aiming at waterline will mean citadels most of the time, but only a few while the majority of shells will be eaten by the waterline or go high and over the superstructure.  Aiming higher at the upper belt line won't net you the big damage citadels but will net you more hits and hopefully more penetration hits which add up quite a bit and quickly.  You're not going to citadel a German BB but if you land most of your shells for pen damage it will take a surprising chunk out of their health

Case in point:

Members
1,509 posts
7,934 battles

Hey 

Nassau is a good ship with sometimes crappy dispersion; watch your map and always try to plan ahead your attacks, keep as many guns on target as possible.  I run PM, EM, AR. and SI on mine presently and it does just fine, no need for a higher skill capt. unless you are going to keep it and use it for seal clubbing.  I did run premium consumables which many might argue against but hey, who wants to die early.

Pete 

Sign in to follow this