You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

Haven't heard anything about Massachusetts in a while. . .

38 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,818 posts

Anyone got any inside scoop?

I'm starting to wonder, will she be available through some kind of mission. . . or is she a straight up cash premium?

I think I've settled on getting her, even though I own Alabama.  I'm just addicted to South Dakota class battleships.  I just hope she's maneuverable, as I like to brawl.

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
3 minutes ago, DJ_PON3_ZaNe said:

Probably a straight up cash premium like the Alabama

What you say is true

But then some people may be upset for it`s considered to have better stats on paper,

So i feel there is a probability for it being a new Free XP ship or something like that?

Edited by Silver_kun

Members
621 posts
7,294 battles
5 minutes ago, Silver_kun said:

What you say is true

But then some people may be upset for it`s considered to have better stats on paper,

So i feel there is a probability for it being a new Free XP ship or something like that?

Well there is also a possibility that it would be obtainable thru missions, like the ARP Atago/Takao that everyone got a premium ship at tier 8 for free

Edited by DJ_PON3_ZaNe

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
2 minutes ago, DJ_PON3_ZaNe said:

Well there is also a possibility that it would be obtainable thru missions, like the ARP Atago/Takao that everyone got a premium ship at tier 8 for free

Yeah, that could also be a possibility.

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,134 posts
10,061 battles

Maybe a campaign mission, including a one-off operation that will involve a stationary bot version of Jean Bart, with a single operational turret, shore batteries, destroyers and light cruisers, followed by a series of other campaign missions involving scenes from Massachusetts' career. 

• Cool 1

[SFROG]
Members
261 posts
4,280 battles
27 minutes ago, LancerUlysses said:

Maybe a campaign mission, including a one-off operation that will involve a stationary bot version of Jean Bart, with a single operational turret, shore batteries, destroyers and light cruisers, followed by a series of other campaign missions involving scenes from Massachusetts' career. 

This is a scenario I would play - I think it's a great idea.  

I'm in the same boat (lol) as op. I have and love the Alabama but I gotta get the Massachusetts. I live nearby where she is a museum and she was the first ship I ever saw or boarded.

She started my love of naval warfare.

[WOLFB]
Members
616 posts
21,873 battles

Why would someone choose to buy the Massachusetts over Alabama? (It's in the hiden tech tree/aslains)

It has the same guns(, only very slight survivablity) 66300 vs 63300, and much worse AA 77 vs. 93 !!

I see no point in buying a ship that is inferior to it's same tier line mate. Just to own a "Massachusetts" might be special to a select few in the NE of the USA, but as a premium ship (as I have an Alabama) there is no good reason to buy this ship!

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,818 posts
11 minutes ago, fbrrhd said:

Why would someone choose to buy the Massachusetts over Alabama? (It's in the hiden tech tree/aslains)

It has the same guns(, only very slight survivablity) 66300 vs 63300, and much worse AA 77 vs. 93 !!

I see no point in buying a ship that is inferior to it's same tier line mate. Just to own a "Massachusetts" might be special to a select few in the NE of the USA, but as a premium ship (as I have an Alabama) there is no good reason to buy this ship!

AA is supposed to be superior to Alabama.  

3k hit points is not huge, but it is a 4.7% bump.  It's basically a free Survivability skill.  Heal will be slightly better as well as a result also.

It's got a smidgen more range.

Just need the maneuverability to stay the same.

Who knows. . . maybe WG will finally un-nerf the 5"/38 and make them the way they are supposed to be.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,050 posts
2,213 battles

Haven't heard anything about Massachusetts in a while. . .

I think it left the Union and no one noticed.  (or cared)

Wait, this isn't Kevik's thread?  Ooops.

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,072 posts
7,618 battles

I've been asking about it.  She's still very much a Work in Progress, so she's not being released anytime soon.

• Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,818 posts
5 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I've been asking about it.  She's still very much a Work in Progress, so she's not being released anytime soon.

Thanks for the update.

Maybe they'll kick the sigma up and boost the secondaries while they're at it.  :)

Seriously though, if they made her a more brawling-focused South Dakota class, she'd be a no brainer to buy.

[TBOW]
[TBOW]
Members
1,134 posts
10,061 battles

Throw on some radar and a targeting buff specifically against French ships, and it's a keeper! :)

Members
1,000 posts
5,749 battles
15 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

Anyone got any inside scoop?

I'm starting to wonder, will she be available through some kind of mission. . . or is she a straight up cash premium?

I think I've settled on getting her, even though I own Alabama.  I'm just addicted to South Dakota class battleships.  I just hope she's maneuverable, as I like to brawl.

Maneverable? Ok, I'm under no NDA since I'm not any kind of tester or contributor, so I can speak about what I saw two-three weeks ago. I spawned into a battle in my GK, on the Two Brothers map, to see the general fanfare and approbation of a renowned forum personality in the battle that goes by the ID of "Diminutive Caucasian Rodent" (DCR), or something very much like that, maybe with fewer syllables. Saw that she (did I say she? Didn't mean ot do that. Oh, well - can't fix it now.) Anyway, I see that DCR is on my team, in a Massachusetts. We start at the North spawn. I see the DCR go right (to the West Cap), and decide to go that way, to try to learn from a better, more experienced player.

The battle goes well for us, not to the point of being a blowout, but we get and maintain the upper hand until the end. The group of us that went West sweeps the West cap, and the minimap distribution of Reds shows that we can take the hard turn to port and take the South cap as well.

So, away we go. I notice that I'm running a parallel course to the DCR and throttle up to full speed knowing that I can pull along even with the Massachusetts that she (did I say that again?) is driving. That group of us takes the South cap at about the same time that a Red GK that's been coming from the East to respond to us, clears land for us to open fire. I hadn't been playing a stellar game at all, and I get sunk after not too many exchanges of rounds. So, I decide I'm going to follow Rodent's ship and switch views quickly to see what happens. After she clears my dead hulk, she turns to port and ends up going bow-on to the Red GK. They close and soon he turns to port into what looks like it's going to be one of those "Do-si-do's of Death" dances, but the Rodent is able to turn her Massachusetts so sharply that she maintains a constant bow-on firing position to the GK's broadside and just unloads the front guns into him until he dies, from very close range. Very purposeful, very precise, no trouble maintaining position.

Now, maybe it's no big feat to be able to cut sharply underneath a GK like that, but I was impressed with how she maintained position like that once she was on the inside of the GK's turning circle.
Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea
typos,details

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,430 battles

I'd rather have Wichita show up before Mass. Forgive me but we've jad so many BBs show up, tend to forget there are other ships out there.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,818 posts
2 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Now, maybe it's no big feat to be able to cut sharply underneath a GK like that, but I was impressed with how she maintained position like that once she was on the inside of the GK's turning circle.

Well that's certainly an encouraging story.  Plus we all need a little more DCR in our lives.

1 minute ago, IronWolfV said:

I'd rather have Wichita show up before Mass. Forgive me but we've jad so many BBs show up, tend to forget there are other ships out there.

I'd love to see Wichita too!  The South Dakotas are my favorite U.S. battleship class.  The Wichita is my favorite U.S. cruiser.

[WG-CC]
9,072 posts
7,618 battles

8 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

<Snip>

WFD30SS.jpg
Didn't know who he was messing with.

• Cool 4

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,700 posts
10,050 battles

We get a new premium every 2 weeks or so I think, at the head of the queue are Huang He (November release) Vampire, T-61, Abruzzi and Ashitaka. Those 5 have at least had CC videos uploaded and Huang He's in the November calendar.

That would take us through well into 2018. Massachusetts hasn't even had a video so I'd guess later.

Of potential note is that Massachusetts is famous for her involvement in the Battle of Casablanca. The French Aigle-class destroyers Milan and Albatross were also there. Aigle was previewed on Oct 18 along with Abruzzi and T-61 but has not been covered as those two have. That together might combine to ssuggest some kind of Casablanca event.

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,199 posts
2,029 battles
9 minutes ago, DeliciousFart said:

32 mm of middle finger against Made in Germany.

Inb4

Spoiler

YAAAAA-MAAAA-TOOOOOOOOO

Members
4,750 posts
5,482 battles

In my opinion, Massachusetts is the more deserving of the SD-class sisters to be a premium, more so than Alabama at least. If anything, Alabama was the one that 'would probably be special to a few in the SE region of the USA'. Massachusetts has a much more rich service history, and alongside being famous for the Battle of Casablanca, as mentioned by Mofton, "Big Mamie" has the distinction of firing both the first and last 16" rounds of the war for the US Navy.

Personally, I passed on Alabama, mostly due to the ship-storm that was the NA server back when she was first brought up as an award ship for STs. Left a really bad taste in my mouth. I'll more than likely get Massachusetts, whether that's by purchasing her from the shop or through a campaign. I'd like to have a South Dakota-class battleship, and Massachusetts, with her richer service history and all the crap that surrounded Alabama on this sever, is the one I'd rather own.

[WG-CC]
9,072 posts
7,618 battles
Just now, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

@LittleWhiteMouse Was that from the battle I described?

Yep.