You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
callsign4223

What am I doing wrong

16 comments in this topic

Members
22 posts
1,860 battles

I'm no super unicum player, but I tend to think I can hold my own.  It seems like the grinds for my current ships are taking forever though.  I went to warships today to check this out and found out something that seems odd to me.  I seem to get above average stats(damage, wr, wtr), but below average experience.  Here are the stats from my schors as an example.

Shchors7CA/CLussr.svg USSR9055.56%  46,327  1,038  1.10.9  0.221%  29%  14%,  1,139

Obviously something is wrong with my play style here.  Am I just shooting too many BB?  Not focusing enough?  I do know that my survival rate is low, I tend to play way to aggressive.  Is survival calculated into exp?

Members
9,868 posts
17 minutes ago, callsign4223 said:

I'm no super unicum player, but I tend to think I can hold my own.  It seems like the grinds for my current ships are taking forever though.  I went to warships today to check this out and found out something that seems odd to me.  I seem to get above average stats(damage, wr, wtr), but below average experience.  Here are the stats from my schors as an example.

Shchors7CA/CLussr.svg USSR9055.56%  46,327  1,038  1.10.9  0.221%  29%  14%,  1,139

Obviously something is wrong with my play style here.  Am I just shooting too many BB?  Not focusing enough?  I do know that my survival rate is low, I tend to play way to aggressive.  Is survival calculated into exp?

The exact formula for xp reward is a deep dark secret. (Easier to change when they feel like it) :Smile_teethhappy:

But...it goes something like this.....Higher percentage of damage on a ship = more xp. Doing serious damage to a higher tier ship that you > doing it to a lower tier ship.

Kills only add a slight amount of XP.

So doing 80% of the damage to a DD that's a tier above you, far more valuable than doing the same amount of damage to a BB.....

If you're shooting mostly BB's, your damage would have to be far higher than if you were doing significant damage to cruisers or DD's.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,743 posts
7,373 battles

BB's give the least XP for damage and sinkings, because they're the easiest to hit targets. Captures, defenses, these factor into your XP earned, as well.

[PROJX]
Members
967 posts
15,492 battles
28 minutes ago, callsign4223 said:

Hey callsign4223 - Here is a link to WOWS Enjoyment - Getting More XP per Game.  It outlines what gets you XP in your game. 

If your damage numbers don't seem to be giving you the expected XP you're looking for, it's likely that a number of other XP sources are being neglected (i.e. you're successful in damage farming, but the tactical/strategic action the game also rewards are not being executed on).

My suggestion is to check out the previous link, but also in general WOWS Enjoyment - List of Guides.  There are a number of links there to articles on how to shoot better (where to shoot what ships under what circumstances with what), staying alive (Maneuvering tactics, masking turns, kiting, flanking, etc.) and general game tactics & strategies (Cap strategy principles & Lanchesters Law and what it means for what to do tactically in WOWS).

Edited by hangglide42
  • Cool 1

[RUST]
Beta Testers
932 posts
10,350 battles
29 minutes ago, callsign4223 said:

Did you purchase premium time?  WG API for some reason include premium time xp bonuse in the xp it reports back. If you don't have premium time, your average XP is lower than otherwise.

Other factors might be that you have low survivability at 21% vs 28% average, but you kept your damage numbers up because most of that damage is probably fire damage which is less impactful and 100% heal-able. 

• Cool 1

Members
22 posts
1,860 battles

I don’t use premium time usually. 

Are you saying that that the game rewards fire damage less than actual damage? Or that it only rewards you for damage that sticks? 

Beta Testers
1,013 posts
13,583 battles
44 minutes ago, hangglide42 said:

Hey callsign4223 - Here is a link to WOWS Enjoyment - Getting More XP per Game.  It outlines what gets you XP in your game. 

If your damage numbers don't seem to be giving you the expected XP you're looking for, it's likely that a number of other XP sources are being neglected (i.e. you're successful in damage farming, but the tactical/strategic action the game also rewards are not being executed on).

My suggestion is to check out the previous link, but also in general WOWS Enjoyment - List of Guides.  There are a number of links there to articles on how to shoot better (where to shoot what ships under what circumstances with what), staying alive (Maneuvering tactics, masking turns, kiting, flanking, etc.) and general game tactics & strategies (Cap strategy principles & Lanchesters Law and what it means for what to do tactically in WOWS).

Wow! thanks hang glide, I honestly don't know how I ever missed this post. Absolutely awesome guide.....could have used this aboot 8,000 games ago!

[TBW]
Members
6,350 posts
11,894 battles

Apparently you just haven't been getting uptiered enough. People say that they like to be uptiered because you get more. So try to get uptiered more often.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[RUST]
Beta Testers
932 posts
10,350 battles
5 minutes ago, callsign4223 said:

I don’t use premium time usually. 

Are you saying that that the game rewards fire damage less than actual damage? Or that it only rewards you for damage that sticks? 

I don't know if there's a difference in XP accrue between fire or pen damage. Just saying that in general you can inflate your damage numbers if a lot of your damage comes from say 1 fire on a BB that the captain decides to let it burn out and repair afterwards. Thus your damage numbers goes up, but effectively its worthless cuz the BB captain healed it back up after the fact. 

Members
22 posts
1,860 battles

So supposedly if I multiply my actual average exp by 1.5 it would give me the average if running premium? But then I would be skewing my average high against those not running a premium account.  But the real answer is that maybe my experience numbers aren't subpar and the only real help to speed up the grind is to get a premium account.

I will say I was not aware that spotting and potential damage factored into experience values.  I might start playing my kiev a bit differently now.

[RUST]
Beta Testers
932 posts
10,350 battles
4 minutes ago, callsign4223 said:

So supposedly if I multiply my actual average exp by 1.5 it would give me the average if running premium? But then I would be skewing my average high against those not running a premium account. 

This is why average xp is a pretty useless metric for anything other than roughly estimating how many games it'll take to get you to the next ship. 

[CAST]
Members
1,166 posts
7,195 battles

The average XP shown in the ratings is useless the way it is gathered.  It includes multipliers.  If there was a column for just base XP, then it would mean something.  So, you can't use it as a metric to compare your game averages to anyone else's.

Members
22 posts
1,860 battles
Just now, Soshi_Sone said:

The 56% WR says it all.  Figure out how to win, and the rest takes care of itself.

With a win rate of 55.5% in that ship that part seems to be taken care of.  What win rate would be considered acceptable?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,338 posts
9,433 battles
2 minutes ago, callsign4223 said:

With a win rate of 55.5% in that ship that part seems to be taken care of.  What win rate would be considered acceptable?

I've had zero win rate days with excellent damage.  usually happens when I'm grinding one ship (looking at you, Ognevoi)

There is no gold standard.  Just do your best with whatever kind of day you are having.

On some days, I consider stamp collecting more enjoyable.