You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Big_Tidday_Goth_GF

Russian Battleships wouldn't need an extraordinary gimmick

36 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,345 battles

With the last two BB lines and the upcoming French, we see fundamental changes in how the BBs operate as opposed to American and Japanese.  You have Secondary heavy Germans, HE poison British, and soon French spood beast. 

The thing is that the Russians can be sort of a return to form with the one big change of limited (but speedy) repairs.  Hopefully this would settle the problem of passivity because they could spearhead an attack and shrug off floodings and fires more easily than other BBs.  

The other big difference could be a turret placement with the trend they have in Oktober and Imperator Nikolai:  ease of traverse for most of the turrets from port to starboard, further enhancing the ship's ability to put itself at the front and adapt to changing situations.  

Finally, and this is just my own idea, is that they need to be absolutely yuge.  Something insanely massive and, I would think, well armored to go on top of it.  German levels of armor but main gun oriented rather than secondary.

Members
373 posts
5,700 battles

Considering the imbalance of the RN lines I don't expect anything short of ships that wont have citadels and shell speeds that would be impossible to achieve in real life. 

The potato proofing of these new BB lines shows a pretty pitiful direction that all future BBs will head in. Ships that can sail around broadside and not get absolutely punished will ruin this game.

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
341 posts
4,376 battles
18 minutes ago, Sventex said:

The Russian Battleship gimmick is that they get to exist.

GG, WP.

• Cool 1

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,986 posts
2 hours ago, Sventex said:

Damn, you took my joke. :Smile_teethhappy:

[VOC]
Beta Testers
1,124 posts
5,877 battles

They get the fist of Stalin; Will destroy every enemy within 15 km even if they are not spotted 

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

It's possible they will get the same damage control party consumable that Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya gets.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
11,332 battles
5 hours ago, Sventex said:

Well done sir! You have made my morning.

[SYN]
Members
4,525 posts
11,433 battles

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,841 battles

Something they never did in real life.

[5BS]
Members
4,494 posts
9 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Something they never did in real life.

Well their Tier 3, 4, 5 and maybe 6 did, depending on what they use.

[-S-R-]
Beta Testers
648 posts
12,056 battles

If WG  releases Russian BB they give them Heal, radar, planes, torps, shield, red button for a nuke. HE+ AP will be same + 5000 auto dmg per shell.

And if players start to ask wth is this WG they say....it was on the blueprint. so we make it like that.

:etc_red_button:

Edited by Gandariel

[MKF]
Members
399 posts
14,840 battles

Just give them the gimmicks from every other line combined and call it a day

[INTEL]
Members
8,430 posts
25,296 battles

Maybe they will be sensible, take the Russians up to T6 and call it a day, then give us the Austrian line up to the same. 

[REVY]
Members
6,014 posts
5,102 battles
1 hour ago, _RC1138 said:

Well their Tier 3, 4, 5 and maybe 6 did, depending on what they use.

The fact is that all completed Russian Battleships were launched before the start of WWI, which effectively puts them on par with Austria-Hungary, a nation that did not survive WWI, and whose Navy is totally absent from this game.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,419 posts
3,411 battles

Russian Battleships don't even need a gimmick. High armor and durability is their design forte, at the expense of a lack of superfiring arcs until around T7 or T8, and smaller-than-tier average caliber guns. Hell, Project 24, which is just Sovetsky Soyuz on steroids, has enough armor on the bow to be entirely IMMUNE to Yamato's Overmatch. About the only weaknesses of their battleships would be the fact that their late designs (IIRC, around T7 onwards) biased armor towards the front, and almost nothing towards the rear. So while it makes them vulnerable on retreat, they would be the supreme bow tankers in-game. Moreso than even Yamato. And they wouldn't even need any guns over 16" given their likely railgun performance.

[5BS]
Members
4,494 posts
55 minutes ago, Sventex said:

which effectively puts them on par with Austria-Hungary, a nation that did not survive WWI,

As a Russian White, I would argue that was true of Russia as well.

That said, the argument "This nation's not in there so these ships should be ignored is piss-poor." I want *both,* any and all, ships in game, regardless of nation, just real, not paper. I want an Imperatrista Mariya more than any other historical ship right now.

[REVY]
Members
6,014 posts
5,102 battles
Just now, _RC1138 said:

As a Russian White, I would argue that was true of Russia as well.

That said, the argument "This nation's not in there so these ships should be ignored is piss-poor." I want *both,* any and all, ships in game, regardless of nation, just real, not paper. I want an Imperatrista Mariya more than any other historical ship right now.

I'm not saying those ships should be ignored.  I am pointing out the line the Russian already have 2 Destroyer lines and a Cruiser line, but their Battleships were so minor, they are practically on par with Austria-Hungary, and thus don't need no gimmick if we're going to see ships all the way to tier 10.  The fact that they get to exist at all, probably without the very low quality steel they'd have been built with, is "gimmick" enough.  Same goes with the Austria-Hungarian Navy, if they get added to the game, they don't need no gimmick either.

[5BS]
Members
4,494 posts
Just now, Sventex said:

I'm not saying those ships should be ignored.  I am pointing out the line the Russian already have 2 Destroyer lines and a Cruiser line, but their Battleships were so minor, they are practically on par with Austria-Hungary, and thus don't need no gimmick if we're going to see ships all the way to tier 10.  The fact that they get to exist at all, probably without the very low quality steel they'd have been built with, is "gimmick" enough.  Same goes with the Austria-Hungarian Navy, if they get added to the game, they don't need no gimmick either.

Except that doesn't hold water when one looks at the *already* implemented (and soon to be) ships of the PAN Asian tree, and the Commonwealth tree, both of which feature 'gimmicks' to their respective ships as of now.

[REVY]
Members
6,014 posts
5,102 battles
4 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Except that doesn't hold water when one looks at the *already* implemented (and soon to be) ships of the PAN Asian tree, and the Commonwealth tree, both of which feature 'gimmicks' to their respective ships as of now.

At least those ships existed and had their strengths and weaknesses tested.  You'd have a hard time convincing me that that a Ottoman Tier 9 Battleship should have the best darn radar in the game with you have nothing to go off of.  Same with the Russian Battleships.  It's all paper and scrap after WWI, and when the Russians did get their hands on a decent Battleship, they couldn't get the turrets to move.

Edited by Sventex

Members
127 posts
1,190 battles
11 minutes ago, Sventex said:

If war games keeps adding gimmick lines like the pan Asian and British BBs, and more paper ships that never even existed, I'm going to quit playing.  The amount of fabrication involved in the new ship lines waters down any semblance of realism the game has.  

Edited by CAPT_BAIUS

[5BS]
Members
4,494 posts
9 minutes ago, Sventex said:

At least those ships existed and had their strengths and weaknesses tested. 

Correction: They had the strengths and weaknesses of the nations that actually *built* and used them (PA = USN (at high tier especially)) and CW = UK. Why is the Perth any different (and more gimmick-y) than the Leander?

[REVY]
Members
6,014 posts
5,102 battles
Just now, _RC1138 said:

Correction: They had the strengths and weaknesses of the nations that actually *built* and used them

[5BS]
Members
4,494 posts
13 minutes ago, Sventex said:

You mean like the Imperatrista Mariya actually being one of the few Dreadnoughts to fire it's guns at another ship? Or serving actively in combat for nearly 20 years, to say nothing of traveling more sea miles than most USN BB's.

[REVY]
Members
6,014 posts
5,102 battles
Just now, _RC1138 said:

You mean like the Imperatrista Mariya actually being one of the few Dreadnoughts to fire it's guns at another ship? Or serving actively in combat for nearly 20 years, to say nothing of traveling more sea miles than most USN BB's.

If the Russian gimmicks end at the dreadnoughts, then I'm fine with it.