You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Balthazar

tactics or lack there of

21 comments in this topic

[P_C_A]
[P_C_A]
Beta Testers
11 posts
13,853 battles

Of late I have noticed that a Lot of players are playing like the only thing that matters is staying alive till the end of the match, in other words as soon as they see the enemy they turn tail & run away from the fight shooting backwards as they go.

This of coarse is really stupid as the rear end of any ship is easily damaged, also it doesn't help at all in capturing the "caps", there is a difference in playing Defensively to just running away, in a Domination match where you have only 2 caps your & theirs defensive play works well,you stay about "mid" map & pick them off as they come into range.This tactic however does Not work with 3-4 caps you have to play aggressively & take & hold at least 2 caps, once you have those 2 caps just hold them don't go after the 3rd or 4th, if you try for more or go "chasing" the enemy then you weaken the the strong hold you have on the map.

This game unlike some first person shooter games isn't about staying alive till the end, its about killing as many of the enemy as you can while capturing & holding caps,I realize not everyone is an aggressive player like myself,I get out there & do as much damage as possible,if I die in the process so what I go back to port & grab another ship & I'm off again, people seem to think along the lines of this is just a game for fun & tactics aren't needed well thats fine if you don't mind losing more that winning .This is a War game in war if you want to win then you need to use tactics,a bad tactic for example in any Random Battle mode is all going one way,in war you Never leave a flank open, in any battle you should always cover BOTH sides of a map,however in Ranked Battle & also Clan wars where there is only 7 players to a side all staying together & focusing your fire on one target at a time works very well.My hope is that the newer players to the game will read this & think about their game play & realize that running away trying to stay alive isn't a good strategy for this game, I thank you for your time & wish everyone good luck with their game. :)

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles

If you want to succeed in world of warships, you will need to understand a couple very basic, but very important principles. These may be pretty difficult for certain people to swallow:

1. In a random match, everyone around you is considered to be a ret*rd (until proven otherwise).

2. In a random match, everyone around you is considered to be completely clueless in regards to how to use chat, minimap or even understand English (until proven otherwise).

2. Unless you kill >3 people, cap at least one cap and do at least 100k damage - you will more than likely NOT win the match.

3. Unless you play in a division, with good players whose capabilities you know personally, your odds of winning at drastically reduced.

4. When playing high tiers (tier 8-X), the guidelines set by principles 1-4 are magnified by factor of 3x.

These principles are hard to swallow, even I can admit that these are pretty depressing, but truth always hurts. Keep these in mind, and all of a sudden you wont be so pissed when you go on a losing streak.

Edited by Ulthwey
  • Cool 8

[SYN]
Members
14,365 posts
10,224 battles

It's a bit more involved than simply turning away and running.

It's more like, "Is it necessary that I close the distance here, or is it better if I maintain distance, good positioning and whittle down the reds while I wait for an opportunity to present itself?" - Anyone in the know of what to do at the start of the match.

But then there are also players that don't see that opportunity that has presented itself and fail to capitalize on it.

Members
3,407 posts
6,070 battles

Depends on many things like the ship, map, and type of game.  Don't expect a cruiser to go full bore or even half bore into 3-5 enemy ships.  Not going to work - wouldn't be prudent.  It is rather important to stay alive as long as possible to keep your guns in the game and continue to do damage.  If you are dead 7 minutes into the game - not good for the team. 

A lot of the time people complain about ships turning have zero idea of the situation and just make massive assumptions.   Yes - there are those that turn to easily but like the other day when I was moving toward a cap in my cruiser.  3-5 ships popup, I nearly take out the Cleveland (who takes about half my health and another red ship helps to take me to half health) but by then at least 2 of those ships are BBs at firing range.  Yea - I did just over 20K damage but yes - I turned, did another 20K+ damage, and we eventually won.  Meanwhile, a player who tried to take on multiple capital ships and died in the first 6 minutes, berated anyone who turned...

Edited by CylonRed

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

I vacillate between too passive and too aggressive. I should work on finding a balance.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles
1 minute ago, Elegant_Winter said:

I vacillate between too passive and too aggressive. I should work on finding a balance.

it is having enough situation awareness to push when needed or time comes.      at the beginning of match,  you need enough information to to make good decision, but also need to put yourself in good position to make use of it.    my start usually means pushing toward flank until i get more information.     each map has good position that you can put yourself in at the beginning.     your option goes up if you have good division mates or if your team is pushing together.  (it does happen)   

everything else is execution.  

Members
17,726 posts
5,084 battles
7 hours ago, Lord_Balthazar said:

....isn't about staying alive till the end, its about killing as many of the enemy as you can while capturing & holding caps,I realize not everyone is an aggressive player like myself,I get out there & do as much damage as possible,if I die in the process so what I go back to port & grab another ship & I'm off again, people seem to think along the lines of this is just a game for fun & tactics aren't needed well thats fine if you don't mind losing more that winning .

Thing is, being all aggressive all the time isn't tactics either. Doing as much damage as possible isn't necessarily tactics either, as the game can be won by capping.

Tactics is all about analyzing the situation as it exists, (just because you shouldn't leave a flank empty, doesn't mean it's a good idea to be the only one covering it) realising that your "team" is only such by loose definition, and coming up with an appropriate course of action.

Sometimes withdrawing is going to be what's appropriate. You may wade in and do X amount of damage, then die. But if you withdraw and do X/2 damage, and then do that twice more, you've done 50% more damage, and that's not even touching on the fact that, as long as you are alive, you're available to capitalise on opportunities to cap or reset, or support teammates, and not negatively affecting the points total.

Recognising when to be aggressive, and when discretion is the better part of valor, is an extremely important skill.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
715 posts
3,660 battles
7 hours ago, Lord_Balthazar said:

Of late I have noticed that a Lot of players are playing like the only thing that matters is staying alive till the end of the match, in other words as soon as they see the enemy they turn tail & run away from the fight shooting backwards as they go.

Where are these people you speak of!?

The tail turners - yea I see them all the time.

But - I primarily find myself as part of the Magically Disappearing Fleet.

CA(mostly) who charge 3-5 ships. How about waiting for your BBs for once? How about - Oh hey are those our CVs planes headed this way? Well let's take it slow and see what they see before I rush in blindly and have to turn around under fire from 3+ ships.(You'd expect this behavior at Tiers 1-3/4 and sometimes when ship happens/random bad decision/torp bracketing forcing one forward etc - but it's nearly every match with multiple players in ALL tiers above 1-3/4).

DDs who SEE a contested cap with significant enemy support but, without reason, try to attack/cap only to be deleted in moments instead of biding their time, spotting and screening, to await the opportune moment to re-contest or flank.

I'd like to have more players on my side with a greater sense of self-preservation. I find that even those who have made it to the 10min mark don't grasp the concept of REGROUP. Nope. It's all CHARGE:Smile_izmena: as if it's a race to see who can come into range of the remaining enemy ships first. A feeding frenzy ensues where one by one by one they are gobbled up and a surefire win turns into either a barely grasped win or a loss due to nonsensical play.

• Cool 1

[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,252 posts
7,648 battles
7 hours ago, Ulthwey said:

If you want to succeed in world of warships, you will need to understand a couple very basic, but very important principles. These may be pretty difficult for certain people to swallow:

1. In a random match, everyone around you is considered to be a ret*rd (until proven otherwise).

2. In a random match, everyone around you is considered to be completely clueless in regards to how to use chat, minimap or even understand English (until proven otherwise).

2. Unless you kill >3 people, cap at least one cap and do at least 100k damage - you will more than likely NOT win the match.

3. Unless you play in a division, with good players whose capabilities you know personally, your odds of winning at drastically reduced.

4. When playing high tiers (tier 8-X), the guidelines set by principles 1-4 are magnified by factor of 3x.

These principles are hard to swallow, even I can admit that these are pretty depressing, but truth always hurts. Keep these in mind, and all of a sudden you wont be so pissed when you go on a losing streak.

Quite frankly, yes.

I typically call the plan at the start of the match hoping that I can get at least 75% to follow along.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
860 posts
6,984 battles
34 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Tactics is all about analyzing the situation as it exists, (just because you shouldn't leave a flank empty, doesn't mean it's a good idea to be the only one covering it) realising that your "team" is only such by loose definition, and coming up with an appropriate course of action.

And yet, the game sometimes spawns you out by your lonesome - maybe with a single DD for company.    Situationally, you know some of the red team will be headed your way.  A quick look at the minimap and your team is streaming opposite direction.

My courses of action would be to high-tail it and try to join the lemming train, and leave the flank open, or I can try to stall as long as possible - take one for the team and try to take as many reds as I can.   I could even try kiting them into a far corner to take them out of the match.

And yes, even with such a scenario, there's a dependency for the 11 other guys to produce.    Nothing like seeing your priority target light up with 6 or 7 ships aiming for you - that's half the team chasing the shiny object - me.   Hopefully, my 11 other guys can take advantage of the reds not engaged in the match.    Uh oh - my team is camped behind the mountains at Cap A.

Edited by DiddleDum

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

In the last week when I haven't been playing CV, getting targets spotted has been an issue. A lot of DDs have been hanging back with BBs, so I've been trying to offer some spotting with whatever ship I'm in that game, which went about as well as expected.

[P_C_A]
[P_C_A]
Beta Testers
11 posts
13,853 battles
On 11/21/2017 at 1:07 AM, Skpstr said:

Thing is, being all aggressive all the time isn't tactics either. Doing as much damage as possible isn't necessarily tactics either, as the game can be won by capping.

Sometimes withdrawing is going to be what's appropriate. You may wade in and do X amount of damage, then die. But if you withdraw and do X/2 damage, and then do that twice more, you've done 50% more damage, and that's not even touching on the fact that, as long as you are alive, you're available to capitalise on opportunities to cap or reset, or support teammates, and not negatively affecting the points total.

Recognising when to be aggressive, and when discretion is the better part of valor, is an extremely important skill.

yes I should have also said depending on which ship you use if I take say the Lion or Montana I tend to sit back a bit & snipe which I am good at, if I use German ship like the Kurfurst or Bismark I tend to go in & dog fight because they are tanks & are set up for close range fighting 

[P_C_A]
[P_C_A]
Beta Testers
11 posts
13,853 battles
On 11/20/2017 at 6:28 PM, Ulthwey said:

Truer words were never spoken :P lol 

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

As long as people demand others play at least as good as them,{" and they suck " } There is zero chance of good teams in randoms. Join A Clan make friends and division a lot with them.

Yes I agree a division of Suck Players only multiplies a bad team in randoms {it does keep them in one game instead of three}

Edited by CLUCH_CARGO

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,574 posts
14,010 battles
On 11/19/2017 at 11:28 PM, Ulthwey said:

I'd like to throw in, you can have a magnificent performance.  200k+ damage, Kraken, caps and all that, 2000+ Base XPs, and still lose.  After such an effort, you come to a realization that you didn't carry hard enough.  Potatoes eagerly find a way to drag the team down with them.  It's in their blood, it's in their nature.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[RESP]
Beta Testers
882 posts
7,094 battles
On 11/19/2017 at 11:28 PM, Ulthwey said:

1438574114339.gif