Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
aethervox

How is this possible?

6 comments in this topic

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,226 battles

How is it possible for two T8 GZ fighters (regular GZ) to lose to one T7 GZ fighter (GZ test 2) even if Dogfighting Expert is used?

My fighters were T8, had more Hit Points & two Squadrons, even if smaller, still had more planes than the single T7 Squadron.

How does one find out how many planes are in these Squadrons?

Also, where is the information on which Dive Bomber or Torpedo Bomber has a Rear Gunner?

Which upgrade is better for the GZ: concealment system or target acquisition system?

What is the recommended build for regular GZ?

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,505 posts
6,666 battles
8 minutes ago, aethervox said:

Which upgrade is better for the GZ: concealment system or target acquisition system?

Concealment, always for a CV. On GZ, let's you sneak up very close, and get those end game caps, or unleash surprise secondary barrages.

10 minutes ago, aethervox said:

How is it possible for two T8 GZ fighters (regular GZ) to lose to one T7 GZ fighter (GZ test 2) even if Dogfighting Expert is used?

My fighters were T8, had more Hit Points & two Squadrons, even if smaller, still had more planes than the single T7 Squadron

because you didn't use lock on with one squadron and strafe back with the 2nd? enemy AA in range of your fighters? because you haven't specced the 4 pt captain skill Air Superiority? because you haven't fitted Air Groups Modification 1&2? Many possible reasons.

12 minutes ago, aethervox said:

see above

13 minutes ago, aethervox said:

Also, where is the information on which Dive Bomber or Torpedo Bomber has a Rear Gunner?

I believe they both do.

14 minutes ago, aethervox said:

Dogfighting Expert

only helps you if your fighters are of a lower tier than your opponents fighters. But if you have t8 fighters, and your enemy has t7, you recieve no benefit from DE. (I believe). Trawl CV subforum for my post about 100 battles with GZ, a tonne of info on build and playstyle for you.

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,226 battles

Thanks Nutty - I have Airgroups Mod 1 & 2.  Also ASE, I'm revising my other Cpt skills - not yet to 10 so no AS yet but soonish.

I did buy concealment system (so I picked right there, lol).

& I had both Squads on the one tho no strafe - I'm not sure if ship fire was happening (might have been, no ships directly underneath). The 2:1 should have won, imho.

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,505 posts
6,666 battles
13 minutes ago, aethervox said:

not yet to 10 so no AS yet but soonish

This is your problem then. It makes all the difference. I'd suggest free xping captain lvls upto 10, if not it is (like most cvs) unplayable in random battles. You will be sealcubbed.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,376 posts
7,971 battles
2 hours ago, aethervox said:

My fighters were T8, had more Hit Points & two Squadrons, even if smaller, still had more planes than the single T7 Squadron.

How does one find out how many planes are in these Squadrons?

Have to agree with Nutty for a change on the fact there's a lot of reasons. Though, not knowing the stats of the test GZ fighters, I can't do exact calculations on their %chance per second to down planes. If they kept planes per squad the same (and you mention you have no AS, they might have) with DFE, and lowered damage to around the same as the A6M5c (closest comparable armament), they would have 26% chance per second to down a plane. Assuming they kept the HP higher than the A6M5c but lower than the tier 8 build, lets say 1500 even which is around halfway, you would have based on your setup info 22% chance per second. Which may not seem like much, but that means odds are they shoot one of your planes down first and every plane lost lowers your DPS and chance to shoot down another plane, this is part of why USN tends to stomp on IJN, even outnumbered 2-1. If they kept the damage and HP the same or higher than my estimates, your chance to shoot down drops and theirs potentially rises. The number of planes in a squad if fighters only help determine DPS, and how many you can loose/maybe by time with. HP is only there to be divided by DPS to achieve % chance per second of shootdowns by fighters and AA. So AS skill adds, in the case of GZ having 5 planes, effectively 20% more DPS. Now add in yeah, any additional AA and the like, it's not as crazy as it sounds. Even take the Essex losing it's tier 9 fighters in the current USN changes they want to make, without DFE they still have a higher % chance per second to shoot down the tier 9 IJN planes. Number of planes in terms of survivability really only comes down to attack planes, or more accurately, how many get through AA especially when shoot down chances start reaching over 50% a second. As well as, indirectly, the accuracy of DB's.

As to how many planes, released ships and GZ (normal) you have the Wiki, if they are in the tech tree that, or in combat, the green/red bar over the planes, depending if friendly or enemy, should be segmented so you can count how many he has in his groups, if not you may need to have I think it's "Animate small objects" on- I've only ever played with that setting on and it shows the individual planes.

For GZ both should have a tailgunner, the JU-87c had a single MG-15 7.92 mm MG in the back. Pretty sure most every attack plane in game, except at higher tiers like the BTD that were more like strike fighters/multi-role. Which I think Wargaming should include forward firing weapons to attack plane defense as well, even if not as much as a normal fighters because many of these planes also have forward firing weapons. But again, in game, wiki, if they are released, you have them, etc.

On upgrades, most go concealment, drop 1 km, 1.5 km off your spotting range. Personally on CV's I prefer target acquisition. +50% to assured acquisition range, 20% to overall spotting and torpedo spotting. I prefer the slightly increased chance I can spot that DD shadowing me and the torp's it's firing at me with the ship if my aircraft aren't available or they can't seem to spot him (because you have to get within about 2 km and a good DD will avoid that usually).

Nutty has played the ship so, exact setup he has a better clue. Generally though, can never go wrong making fighters as strong as possible as they can win you fights or help delay the enemy fighters that little bit longer.

Though I will correct him on DFE (dogfighting expert) slightly. If your planes are higher tier or same tier as your enemy, yes, you don't receive the benefit of added DPS. However, because really only one ship (Saipan) caused a need for it at one tier affecting at the time 2 ships, and complaints that it was pointless beyond that, they tacked on a 10% ammo buff regardless of tier. So it'll give you more ammo to keep planes airborne longer without rearming, or run an enemy out of ammo.

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,226 battles

I found & got the info required, TY, both Nutty & Wandering.

Sign in to follow this