You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
mustangman6579

Been using torpedo Acceleration.

32 comments in this topic

[5D3]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,148 posts
4,208 battles

I honestly don't think it's worth it. You only gain 5 Kts, for 20% range lost. I was using it thinking that the gains outweigh the losses, but in hindsight, I don't believe so. 

Losing 20% is way too much for only gaining 5 Kts. I'm going to reskill my DD cptn yet again. Another wasted 500 doubloons. 

GG WG, you got me for 1000 doubloons. 

Members
2,092 posts
8,068 battles
3 minutes ago, mustangman6579 said:

I honestly don't think it's worth it. You only gain 5 Kts, for 20% range lost. I was using it thinking that the gains outweigh the losses, but in hindsight, I don't believe so. 

Losing 20% is way too much for only gaining 5 Kts. I'm going to reskill my DD cptn yet again. Another wasted 500 doubloons. 

Its honestly meant more to be a skill for CV planes rather than DDs, but Gearing does benefit greatly from having it, as its base range is 16.5km and having TA will bring it down to about 13.5km which is still more than enough.

You can also play your 19pt captains and use elite commander XP to reset skills for free

• Cool 3

[5D3]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,148 posts
4,208 battles
Just now, FireAndHEspam said:

Its honestly meant more to be a skill for CV planes rather than DDs, but Gearing does benefit greatly from having it, as its base range is 16.5km and having TA will bring it down to about 13.5km which is still more than enough.

You can also play your 19pt captains and use elite commander XP to reset skills for free

Yea, I see that now. 

I didn't know about the free xp part though. 

[RKLES]
Beta Testers
471 posts
6,389 battles
1 minute ago, FireAndHEspam said:

Yep, completely agree.  Pushes Gearings torps above 70kts and still plenty of range.

[SIM]
Members
2,430 posts
4,060 battles

I use it on the Duca d’Aosta because of the already low torpedo detectability and long range, but it’s only viable on a small cross-section of non-CVs.

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,024 posts
10,186 battles
19 minutes ago, FireAndHEspam said:

Voice of wisdom right here ^^^^

[-TAB-]
Alpha Tester
4,071 posts
7,515 battles

It really depends on the torp range and the ship's concealment.  I wouldn't use TA on anything that has 10km or less range on their torpedoes.

Members
1,201 posts
8,185 battles

It's mainly a skill for carriers.  The ships that should consider it are only a handful of special exceptions, because captain points are just too valuable to spend on something so marginal most of the time.

[HCH]
Beta Testers
857 posts
7,170 battles

I use it on my Zao. This is mainly because I'd only ever use them for short range suicide drops, so the maximum speed will allow the best chance of hitting the target.

[SWOB]
Beta Testers
485 posts
3,785 battles
1 hour ago, mustangman6579 said:

It is situational, but can be quite useful. I definitely am selective about ships I use it on.

And no, WG didn't get you. You made a choice.

• Cool 1

Members
7,047 posts
4,534 battles
2 hours ago, FireAndHEspam said:

I don't even use it on my Gearing, because those random torps from 15km tend to catch people off guard, and also because I'd much rather spend those two points somewhere else. 

[ARMDG]
WoWS Wiki Editor
794 posts

They're suboptimal on certain ships; but I've had some fun with weird builds. Put it on Scharnhorst once just to make torpedo jousting that much more derpy. 

Like I said; not the best, but was kinda amusing. 

Edited by TheZeke00

[O7]
Members
4,921 posts
8,751 battles
2 hours ago, mustangman6579 said:

Yea, I see that now. 

I didn't know about the free xp part though. 

Elite commander XP is not free xp.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,709 posts
11,324 battles

I use it on CVs and on Gearing, thats pretty much it.

FYI, You can use commander XP/Free XP to respec without doubloons.

[O7]
Members
595 posts
7,833 battles

16km torps is one of Gearing's strengths, why would you spend 3 points to take that away. With how few hitpoints DDs have, you're better off putting those 3 points into vigilance so that you DON'T eat torps. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,791 posts
4 hours ago, mustangman6579 said:

Don't feel bad.  I've spent 10s of thousands fiddling with skills.  Still keep doing it.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,372 posts
7,951 battles

Like others say, it really depends on ship. Typically, I will get it for a CV, especially if I plan to have TB's, more for the fact that the lower ranges means less issues with overshooting and accidental team damage. Yes, that sounds stupid, but I've laid out an attack and had a teammate sail around an island into their path. Or I think they are going to zig so I have a clear shot as they disengage, then they zag to reengage at the point of no return. I don't usually do it with DD's at this time, I typically prefer range even though it may be to an extent excessive, but I can see the appeal of having it on a DD. I love my Shinonome over Fubuki, which, when it comes to torps, Shino's are basically Fubuki's with Torp accel built in. And I still have more than enough stealth range for torping. Really, the skill as far as a DD goes is for IJN that won't lose stealth torp and adds back some of the speed they lost with the torp nerf forever ago where they nerfed the speed, and and other DD that has very good range and low detect-ability that maintains stealth torp ability, but can then get the fish there a little faster, maybe run down a boat that's fleeing better.

[SYN]
Members
102 posts
8,218 battles

I thought TA was a lot of fun on the Kagero, since you still get a good window of stealth fire at ~2km while making the torpedoes harder to evade.

Since they have a high base detection, and a lot of BB drivers run vigilance, I rarely hit anything at 10km anyways.

I also ran the reload booster instead of smoke.

Members
2,092 posts
8,068 battles
6 hours ago, Feminist said:

16km torps is one of Gearing's strengths, why would you spend 3 points to take that away. With how few hitpoints DDs have, you're better off putting those 3 points into vigilance so that you DON'T eat torps. 

TA is a two point skill, for one thing. You’re only looking at the downside of the skill without the benefit. Even with TA Gearings torpedoes have more than enough range to work with, plus they’re faster and that extra bit harder to dodge on top of it.

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,420 battles

Seriously worth it on my Duca D'Aosta. 9km and over 55knts. WORTH IT!

[SYN]
Members
102 posts
8,218 battles

I wonder if it'll be useful on the new PA DD line...

I did a bit of number crunching, and at tier three you can (just barely; it's less than a km) stealth fire your torps, while getting a decent (for the tier) speed of 56 kts.

Combined with the low detectability, and good damage vs large targets, you might be able to get a decent hit % on BBs and CAs.

Edited by MrSharkswith

[SF-3]
Members
1,438 posts
7,882 battles

It surely depends on the ship, however, having faster torps is better, imo, gives the red less time to evade or WASD hack. As for gearing, you can still torp at 2x your detection range, plenty of range.

Members
17,764 posts
5,084 battles

I use TA on Mahan, I'm used to playing US DDs with no stealth window on the torps anyway, so increasing speed (they're slow to start with) and making the stealth window smaller is a non-issue for me.

I dunno OP, you can see how fast the torps are, and what the range will be,  before and after taking TA. If you didn't have the right idea what effect that would have on your gameplay, that's not WG's fault. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
1,816 posts
10,727 battles

TA with 20km Type 93 is still very useful for weekend potato farming. 

TA with the old Fubuki 15km fish (was it Type 93 mod.1?), on the other hand, was deadly. WG should bring it back to replace Shimakaze's 20km swimming noodles. 

[GREPT]
[GREPT]
Beta Testers
6,739 posts
7,082 battles
12 hours ago, Feminist said:

Ah... you do know that 13 km torps that go over 70 kts with their low detecatbility is amazing. If you however need vigilence to not hit torps you have a serious issue with your play style.