You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
FloridaPanther25

Low visibility torps

7 comments in this topic

Members
53 posts
7,013 battles

Is there a source (WOW wiki?) that details the visibility stats of various torps across the game - and the ships that used them? I want to understand which ships have the lowest visibility torps - I understand this varies, with the IJN typically having the lowest. But would like to learn more.

Thanks!

[PLPT]
Members
591 posts
6,533 battles

Actually IJN torps have the worst visibility. It’s ridiculous, IMHO.

You also need to consider the speed of the torps. Divide the spotting distance by the speed of the torps to get the amount of reaction time a ship has.  That is usually the key metric for scoring hits. 

The Shimakaze is a prime example. The 20km torps are so slow and so easily spotted as to be useless. However, the 8km torps are hella fast and are really hard to dodge. 

• Cool 2

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
5,473 posts
4,055 battles

Check out the ship trees in ShipComrade: http://shipcomrade.com/ships/american

You can view the visibility ranges of different torpedoes on a ship by clicking on the torpedo module:

ad394825c7c7ac65d5c9bb6d3846a430.png

Any changes in stats will be shown in yellow and pink text:

ab155f62cfb00ff522c856200bce0219.png

Members
321 posts
2,900 battles

I came here expecting a thread complaining about torpedoes being OP due to low visibility. I was happily surprised as that was not the case.

Anyways, here you go: http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Torpedoes_(WoWS)#Ship-Launched_Torpedo_Statistics

As far as released ships (those not in testing) go, the tier 2 IJN destroyers and the tier 2 Soviet DD have the lowest detection range at .7 km.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,698 posts
17,308 battles
31 minutes ago, n00bot said:

Actually IJN torps have the worst visibility. It’s ridiculous, IMHO.

You also need to consider the speed of the torps. Divide the spotting distance by the speed of the torps to get the amount of reaction time a ship has.  That is usually the key metric for scoring hits. 

The Shimakaze is a prime example. The 20km torps are so slow and so easily spotted as to be useless. However, the 8km torps are hella fast and are really hard to dodge. 

The problem with the Shimmy torps in clan battles is that there are so many radar ships that anything less than the 20 km torpedoes is bound to get you spotted.  So it's not surprising to see shimmies running the 20 km torps (with the TA skill to boost speed with a drop to 16 km range).

[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
297 posts
15,793 battles

You can look up the exact detection distance for torps in port when you mouse over torpedo tube section under commander icon- it will tell you detection distance.

Like others have pointed out, you need to factor in both speed and concealment of torps, which will determine reaction time you have to dodge them. From my experience, it's harder to dodge stealthier USN torps despte they are slow. Generally, you may have  less than 10 secs to dodge them, which is rather impossible for most BB. On the other hand, it's easier to dodge IJN torps since I can spot them at a distant. However, there are  short range high speed torp in the game. RU and German torps are somewhere in between, imo.

Edited by SoftAndCute