You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Taichunger

Why the Strange Marketing of Premium Ships?

53 comments in this topic

[INTEL]
Members
8,431 posts
25,304 battles

@Pigeon_of_War, why are the premium ships marketed so strangely? There seems to be no rational reason not to put ships in the shop that people want to buy, except for ships that have been withdrawn because they are OP as sold. I'd get an Alabama if it were there, and might pick up Kii. But instead we have the same basic choices all the time. I am sure many players are like me, checking the shop and going away frustrated, when they could be engaged in impulse buying.

From a marketing standpoint this does not seem to be particularly intelligent. All the ships should be in the shop/tech tree, so they can be purchased anytime. Can you explain WG's reasoning for why it doesn't want money from players?

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 1

[5D7]
Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
4,076 battles

It is to build up hype so they can charge their premium for the "packages" come special times. Just wait until black friday, I am sure there will be plenty of wonderful deals with stuff nobody wants extra

• Cool 1

[ERN]
[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,101 posts
4,223 battles

Maybe they holding back the best ships sale till black Friday?

• Cool 1

Members
1,779 posts
5,641 battles

I agree this waiting around for ships to rotate in the shop is getting boring. Why don't these ships go on tech tree so we can use gold to buy them??:cap_old:

Edited by Raven114

[INTEL]
Members
8,431 posts
25,304 battles
16 hours ago, Batwingsix said:

It is to build up hype so they can charge their premium for the "packages" come special times. Just wait until black friday, I am sure there will be plenty of wonderful deals with stuff nobody wants extra

It makes me laugh sometimes, that all over the world marketing departments are busy gathering information and have an enormous pile of theories and methodologies for getting things right, and yet are wrong over and over and over again. This is a good example, here. Seems like somewhere in WG's marketing department there is a marketer who has managed to convince management that the irrational is rational.

• Cool 3

[ERN]
[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
10,101 posts
4,223 battles
2 minutes ago, Raven114 said:

Why don't these ships go on tech tree so we can use gold to buy them??:cap_old:

it take time for them to code it into the tech tree, when it just easier to sell them in the premium shop

[5D7]
Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
4,076 battles
Just now, Taichunger said:

It makes me laugh sometimes, that all over the world marketing departments are busy gathering information and have an enormous pile of theories and methodologies for getting things right, and yet are wrong over and over and over again. This is a good example, here. Seems like somewhere in WG's marketing department there is a marketer who has managed to convince management that the irrational is rational.

Glass half full moment, at least there are less day 2 Tier 8 premium people running around this way. 

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,431 posts
25,304 battles
16 hours ago, MajorRenegade said:

it take time for them to code it into the tech tree, when it just easier to sell them in the premium shop

Either way, they should be available. Look at the Guilio, which people really like. It's gone. Many people would be buying it right now if it were available.

It's a general principle: many players only have money to purchase things for a short time window, then other stuff captures their disposable entertainment income, or it vanishes into bills and other aspects of life. I don't always have $50 to spare, and when I do, WG always has the same ships in the shop and on the tech tree. When the Alabama comes back, for that window many people will want the ship, but won't have the money to spare. I probably won't either -- if there is no Alabama I will put the money into the funds for a bike trip to Laos or Malaysia. 

Edited by Taichunger

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,279 battles

WG employs a 'fear of loss' sales strategy.  Buy it now, because it won't always be available.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,431 posts
25,304 battles
16 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

WG employs a 'fear of loss' sales strategy.  Buy it now, because it won't always be available.

I'd sure like to see some numbers on how that is better than having a well-stocked shop with plenty of ships for players to drop impulse cash on, or save toward. No point in setting aside money for a ship in the shop if it isn't going to be there.

The results are even worse for WG because many players like myself don't buy T5-6 premiums because WG wrecked those tiers. So for a subset of buyers, the premium shop is even less inviting. 

Edited by Taichunger

Members
9,864 posts
49 minutes ago, Batwingsix said:

Glass half full moment, at least there are less day 2 Tier 8 premium people running around this way. 

Really? Clan battles has generated a huge push of premium warriors that just want to play clan battles, unfortunately they are not learning a thing. They average 500-600 xp in Tier 8 Premiums, and beg nightly to get into clans....

Good for WG's bottom line, but was this really the plan for Clan battles? People racing to get into them, and learning nothing hardly seems like a good plan for a competitive mode...:cap_hmm:

[INTEL]
Members
8,431 posts
25,304 battles
16 hours ago, ExploratorOne said:

Keep in mind that if it wasn't effective, they wouldn't keep doing it.

Of course it is effective, but is it more effective than always having products that people want to buy, in the shop and ready to be purchased? WG has given up a ton of money from me because they never have ships when I have money/interest. I can't be the only one in that situation. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,741 posts
7,373 battles
1 hour ago, Taichunger said:

And this is also why no-one pays attention to commercials anymore.

[WOLF1]
Members
619 posts
12,934 battles
1 hour ago, Taichunger said:

It makes me laugh sometimes, that all over the world marketing departments are busy gathering information and have an enormous pile of theories and methodologies for getting things right, and yet are wrong over and over and over again. This is a good example, here. Seems like somewhere in WG's marketing department there is a marketer who has managed to convince management that the irrational is rational

Guess you haven't heard of an IPhone before.

[INTEL]
Members
8,431 posts
25,304 battles
16 hours ago, knice_destroyer said:

Guess you haven't heard of an IPhone before.

I live in Taiwan. But marketing of product A is not always appropriate for product B. There a plenty of case studies of failed marketing strategies available online and in business journals. 

[LOU1]
Members
2,875 posts
8,004 battles
13 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Of course it is effective, but is it more effective than always having products that people want to buy, in the shop and ready to be purchased? WG has given up a ton of money from me because they never have ships when I have money/interest. I can't be the only one in that situation. 

Keep in mind that people's buying habits are not intuitive - sales strategies are based on hard results.  Having products always available may work for commodities, such as generic paper towels.  On the other hand, limiting or withholding supply is very effective at building up demand.

Along with the actual sale is the concept of building traffic to and through a venue.  Deep discount items are frequently placed near the middle or rear of a store.  Ever notice that milk is usually at the back of even convenience stores?  That is to make you pass all sorts of products and deals.

In terms of scarcity and traffic, take me, for example.  I was dissuaded from buying the Perth and regretted the decision after it went off sale.  For the next couple of months, I checked the Premium Shop more than once a day.  There have been occasions in which a ship appeared in the shop without warning.  I finally got my Perth.  Now, I am waiting for the Gallant to drop and check frequently.

Regardless of how committed to gaming or how passionate they are about about their games, WOWS has to earn money to stay functioning.  I get so much "free" stuff from WOWS, there really is no way I feel comfortable complaining.  It's also sort of a scavenger hunt experience to wait and watch for a ship.

Just some personal thoughts...

"Fair winds and a following sea..."

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
8,431 posts
25,304 battles
16 hours ago, ExploratorOne said:

In terms of scarcity and traffic, take me, for example.  I was dissuaded from buying the Perth and regretted the decision after it went off sale.  For the next couple of months, I checked the Premium Shop more than once a day.  There have been occasions in which a ship appeared in the shop without warning.  I finally got my Perth.  Now, I am waiting for the Gallant to drop and check frequently.

Regardless of how committed to gaming or how passionate they are about about their games, WOWS has to earn money to stay functioning.  I get so much "free" stuff from WOWS, there really is no way I feel comfortable complaining.  It's also sort of a scavenger hunt experience to wait and watch for a ship.

Just some personal thoughts...

"Fair winds and a following sea..."

Yeah, I understand that point of view. But every time they withdraw a ship from the shop, they forego that money which instead will be spent on other games and other ships. As yourself note, you wanted a Perth but couldn't get one, and had to wait. Meanwhile money you would have spent at WG went elsewhere, and WG risked that you might simply give up playing WOWs and move on to another game (it's not like the game population is exploding by leaps and bounds). 

In the meantime the money I would have spent on Alabama is now going to another game. That simple. I may or may not have that money available when Alabama comes back in the shop. Bottom line is that this can't be making them more money than always having all the ships available in the shop.

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,226 battles
1 hour ago, Capt_Binkley said:

It's all about creating the illusion of scarcity.

....... & then getting the 'Suckers' salivating for these 'Lollipops'.

[RKLES]
Beta Testers
471 posts
6,392 battles
14 minutes ago, aethervox said:

....... & then getting the 'Suckers' salivating for these 'Lollipops'.

Not exactly a proper economic term... but that pretty well describes it.

[WGA]
Developers, Administrator, Moderator, F&F, Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
1,089 posts
3,723 battles

:cap_popcorn:

• Cool 3

[TBW]
Members
6,342 posts
11,884 battles
18 hours ago, Batwingsix said:

There could be bundles all of the time for all of the ships too. Just put them all in the shop.

[TBW]
Members
6,342 posts
11,884 battles
17 hours ago, Capt_Binkley said:

It's all about creating the illusion of scarcity.

If people can scarcely buy what ships they want, they will scarcely buy ships. No illusion there.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[TBW]
Members
6,342 posts
11,884 battles
1 hour ago, Pigeon_of_War said:

:cap_popcorn:

That's kind of rude Pigeon. You have no answer for a good question, one that has been asked many times before and you eat popcorn. Some one asks a developer and administrator a serious question and they get the popcorn treatment. Loss of respect from me. That's not really even funny, coming from a WG employee. Show at least a modicum of respect to the OP and give them a straight answer. Represent your Brand better than that or give the job to someone who does. I clicked this link to see what you had to say and get this :cap_popcorn: which might as well have been this :cap_haloween:laughing in the OP's face. I suppose after posting this a Coo of Boom flag is out of the Question.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1