You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Fyrdraca

For STEAM players, easy log in with existing account fix

19 comments in this topic

[-FG-]
Beta Testers
19 posts
7,793 battles

For players who have dl'd the new STEAM wows client and were unable to log in with their existing account, here is a fast and easy solution.

1. dl the STEAM World of warships client. http://store.steampowered.com/app/552990/

2. run the application once, when you get to the login screen...DO NOTHING! exit the application completely by hitting the little "X" in the top right hand corner of the window.

3. go to your WoWs folder in STEAM.  Example: local disk (C:)>Program Files (x86)>STEAM>steamapps>common>World of Warships

4. In that folder, there will be an application  extension file that should be called "steam_api.dll". Right click on that file, click "rename", and put a "2" in front of the name (2steam_api.dll) press "enter.

5. Close folder. Restart your game from STEAM. And now you should have the option to log in with your existing account. 

I HOPE THIS HELPS SOME OF YOU WHO HAVE HAD PROBLEMS.

DISCLAIMER: THIS MAY NEED TO BE REPEATED AFTER PATCHES. 

ALSO, if you do not want to bother with the client through steam, but would like to add your game to steam, just use the "add non steam game" option on the steam client. Use the path to your existing world of warships .exe file to add it. 

• Cool 21
  • Bad 1

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles

Nice explanation. Upvote.

• Cool 2

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,238 battles

Major Downvote. New players don't need old Sharks. (& we know WoWS will not fix/stop this until after the carnage is over)

• Bad 5

[DRI-S]
[DRI-S]
Members
570 posts
16,455 battles

Ichase explained that few days ago.:Smile_glasses:

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,342 posts
11,500 battles

Ichase did a video 2 days ago.....

Much easier to see it than read it.....

Try search option to make sure your not duplicating.

• Bad 1

Members
227 posts
4,403 battles
1 hour ago, aethervox said:

Major Downvote. New players don't need old Sharks. (& we know WoWS will not fix/stop this until after the carnage is over)

Steam players are on a different server?  I had not heard that. That doesn't seem to make sense.

Members
809 posts
2,616 battles
12 minutes ago, Comrade_Nemo said:

Steam players are on a different server?  I had not heard that. That doesn't seem to make sense.

They connect to the same NA server that we do. So the new steam players will still see the "old sharks".

BTW, the steam client COULD see the altered/missing dll file & report it or something. So if anything happens, we know why.

BUT, I did it almost a week ago with no issue.

Edited by DeathLord1969

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,240 posts
8,815 battles
7 hours ago, aethervox said:

You do realize that the Steam players play on the same servers we do so it doesn't matter one bit how you log in.

[-FG-]
Beta Testers
19 posts
7,793 battles
9 hours ago, aethervox said:

Yeah, I do understand your cry level and all...it hurts I know..but I made this for people like me who actually already use steam and wows and wanted a cleaner way to configure the two together. We didn't get it with this. But either way, I was informing EXISTING players...of this fix, not fishing for NEW steam players, as they would not have old accounts to begin with. But yeah, sharks, tears, sadness blah blah troll away. Because that will get you far. 

• Cool 1

[-FG-]
Beta Testers
19 posts
7,793 battles
8 hours ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Ichase did a video 2 days ago.....

Much easier to see it than read it.....

Try search option to make sure your not duplicating.

I actually did search but did not see a quick work around posted. But thank you for letting me know just like the guy above you. kinda like duplicating a response. But hey, at least you got one more post in on the forums...so useful. 

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,238 battles
7 hours ago, DeathLord1969 said:

They connect to the same NA server that we do. So the new steam players will still see the "old sharks".

BTW, the steam client COULD see the altered/missing dll file & report it or something. So if anything happens, we know why.

BUT, I did it almost a week ago with no issue.

So there will be 'carnage'

2 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

You do realize that the Steam players play on the same servers we do so it doesn't matter one bit how you log in.

I'm not on Steam so this is not the issue for me.

5 minutes ago, Fyrdraca said:

Yeah, I do understand your cry level and all...it hurts I know..but I made this for people like me who actually already use steam and wows and wanted a cleaner way to configure the two together. We didn't get it with this. But either way, I was informing EXISTING players...of this fix, not fishing for NEW steam players, as they would not have old accounts to begin with. But yeah, sharks, tears, sadness blah blah troll away. Because that will get you far. 

I'm not trolling. I was only pointing out that there will be 'carnage'. & I thought black holes were the densest objects around. Until I found real 'densities' here.

• Bad 4

[-FG-]
Beta Testers
19 posts
7,793 battles
On 11/19/2017 at 10:12 PM, aethervox said:

So there will be 'carnage'

I'm not on Steam so this is not the issue for me.

I'm not trolling. I was only pointing out that there will be 'carnage'. & I thought black holes were the densest objects around. Until I found real 'densities' here.

Again, you are wasting post space with off topic stuff. If you are not interested in my post or it is not helpful to you, then just trolling, as you are, just makes you another crying jack. This is why I rarely post anything, because people like you, who offer nothing, come out to complain. Go away troll kid. 

• Cool 2

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,238 battles
2 hours ago, Fyrdraca said:

This is why I rarely post anything, because people like you, who offer nothing, come out to complain. Go away troll kid. 

I'm not complaining, just making an observation. I'm not a troll, nor am I a kid. Since you have comprehension problems, it is likely a good idea for you to rarely post.

• Bad 4

[-FG-]
Beta Testers
19 posts
7,793 battles
On 11/21/2017 at 0:30 PM, aethervox said:

I'm not complaining, just making an observation. I'm not a troll, nor am I a kid. Since you have comprehension problems, it is likely a good idea for you to rarely post.

And again, you post comments in a topic clearly not for you, all to troll. And now you just continue to troll, act...like a child, for no other reason than to waste time, toot your own small kid horn, and simply behave like an [edited]. None of anything you have said was either needed, useful, or interesting to anyone else but yourself. So again...troll away kid, you have ruined what was meant to be a useful knowledgeable post for those who needed it, and turned it into your own personal  whine session. So, observe that, Or maybe grow up, and stop trolling. But I doubt either will occur. Thank you. 

[BBMOD]
Members
19 posts
3,913 battles
On ‎11‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 11:27 AM, Fyrdraca said:

ALSO, if you do not want to bother with the client through steam, but would like to add your game to steam, just use the "add non steam game" option on the steam client. Use the path to your existing world of warships .exe file to add it. 

Do you still get the steam flag though?

Edited by 3li7e_NGineer42O

Members
1,121 posts
7,280 battles

....dragging this one out of the bin...

My WoWS was crashing, so I used the Steam tool to "check validity of local files", to which it said two files were missing/corrupt and  it proceeded to Dl the files... where upon I hit the "Username is in use/pick another one" message... so I figure.. what the hey, I'll just DL the game and start over... 10 hours later... still in the same boat... so I will go in and rename the file per instructions to allow me to log in with my account. 

The whole reason I wanted to convert to Steam, was to be able to write a review of the game from someone who had been playing for 5k games and had some deep experience, rather than the two sentence reviews from the noobs that post negative reviews without really understanding the game. ... 

You'd think that Steam and WG would be able to work out a way to prevent this situation from happening... I like being able to support WoWS.. I'd just like them to return the effort.

Members
1 post
4,535 battles

This saved me. I haven't been able to get WOWS to install with the WG installer for months. I've tried everything I could find online and anything I could think of myself. I have many premium ships in my account so it represents an investment. Starting a new account in Steam would be a desperate last resort. Well, thankfully, the installation into Steam worked great (WG would do good to get their installer to work better), and now, thanks to this thread, I have all my ships and can finally play WoWS again! Thank you.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,302 posts
3,585 battles
On 6/4/2018 at 9:30 AM, Elo_J_Fudpucker said:

....dragging this one out of the bin...

My WoWS was crashing, so I used the Steam tool to "check validity of local files", to which it said two files were missing/corrupt and  it proceeded to Dl the files... where upon I hit the "Username is in use/pick another one" message... so I figure.. what the hey, I'll just DL the game and start over... 10 hours later... still in the same boat... so I will go in and rename the file per instructions to allow me to log in with my account. 

The whole reason I wanted to convert to Steam, was to be able to write a review of the game from someone who had been playing for 5k games and had some deep experience, rather than the two sentence reviews from the noobs that post negative reviews without really understanding the game. ... 

You'd think that Steam and WG would be able to work out a way to prevent this situation from happening... I like being able to support WoWS.. I'd just like them to return the effort.

Steam is more than happy too I am sure it is Wargaming being stubborn that is preventing this.