You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
awiggin

Unintended side effects....

13 comments in this topic

Members
9,864 posts

Once again I see problems driven by changes by WG.

Over the last few weeks, I've been paying more attention to who playing, and it seems that WG has created an issue that is already adversely affecting the game.

I'm talking about these people,

6gZl14G.png

I'm seeing them everywhere...and based on some recent posts, I'm clearly not the only one. Wallet warriors pushing up the tiers as quickly as possible, so they can get rentals and play clan battles.

This isn't about wallet warriors, all games have them, nothing new.

The issue as I see it is WG decided to finally add clan battles after two years, and were forced to give rentals because most players don't and never will have Tier 10's. That alone should have told them there was going to be a problem, but clearly, it didn't matter.

So now, what we have is significant uptick in these players, all they want to do is reach tier 8 for Clan battles, and so they run up the tiers as quickly as possible, and learn absolutely nothing along the way. This really isn't new either, but the number of them has seemingly increased  five-fold. But since numbers aren't up much, we're also losing players at the same time. This is going to really become an issue if it continues in this fashion, and I really don't see what WG can do about it at this point.

I'm curious what this is doing to Clan battles too, since I don't play them. I seriously don't get players wanting to jump into clan battles, when they clearly have no grasp on the mechanics.....

Thoughts?

Edited by awiggin

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
11,332 battles

I'm not really convinced there is a correlation with Clan Battles. I have mixed feelings about the rentals but I don't think it's causing players to by premiums way above there skill level. (They were already doing that lol)  

The issue with people trying to rush up the lines was around long before that (when I first started I also felt compelled to rush up the tiers).  It can be frustrating and I do wish more players would stick to low tier while they learn the game, but I don't see it as a new problem or any evidence it is increasing.

Members
974 posts
1,871 battles
28 minutes ago, awiggin said:

never will have Tier 10's

that simply isn't true even if I play one game a day I will get to tier X eventually.

Members
96 posts
5,623 battles

This is how Wargaming is monetizing their free to play game. It's a heck of a lot better than the system EA came up with for Battlefront 2 as far as I'm concerned.

• Cool 2

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles
14 minutes ago, skull_122_steel said:

that simply isn't true even if I play one game a day I will get to tier X eventually.

about 2 years if  you play one ship if you play random.    It took me about 500 matches using free account to go from t1 to zao.  

[JOLLY]
Alpha Tester
551 posts
3,913 battles

I think the real issue runs deeper.

Tier 9 and tier 10 economy is not optimized (some say its broken) and can be very unrewarding so a lot of players don't even bother to get tier 9 and 10 ships (also very expensive to acquire).

So, when WG decided to create clan battles at tier 10 suddenly realized that most of the players don't even have tier 10 ships, being forced to introduce this rental program.

Of course that this artificial workaround created a wonderful opportunity for people to get to tier 8 and enjoy tier 10 clan battles without having to spend the time and credits to grind it to tier 10.

Although I am at peace with the rental program for clan battles, allowing much more people to participate in the event, this type of trick can send the wrong message to the player base: "Do not even bother getting tier 9 and 10 ships because when you will really need we will let you rent them."

This type of "unofficial" agreement really saps the game because WG is losing revenues and kind of punishes the dedicated players that make it all the way to tier 10.

WG knows they need to fix high tier economy but they give it a lower priority compared with other aspects of the game. The sad part about it is that WoWs loses a lot with it and transforms the last tiers of the tech trees (probably the most interesting, challenging and better balanced) into no-man's land.

Best regards.

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
1 hour ago, awiggin said:

Once again I see problems driven by changes by WG.

Over the last few weeks, I've been paying more attention to who playing, and it seems that WG has created an issue that is already adversely affecting the game.

I'm talking about these people,

6gZl14G.png

I'm seeing them everywhere...and based on some recent posts, I'm clearly not the only one. Wallet warriors pushing up the tiers as quickly as possible, so they can get rentals and play clan battles.

This isn't about wallet warriors, all games have them, nothing new.

The issue as I see it is WG decided to finally add clan battles after two years, and were forced to give rentals because most players don't and never will have Tier 10's. That alone should have told them there was going to be a problem, but clearly, it didn't matter.

So now, what we have is significant uptick in these players, all they want to do is reach tier 8 for Clan battles, and so they run up the tiers as quickly as possible, and learn absolutely nothing along the way. This really isn't new either, but the number of them has seemingly increased  five-fold. But since numbers aren't up much, we're also losing players at the same time. This is going to really become an issue if it continues in this fashion, and I really don't see what WG can do about it at this point.

I'm curious what this is doing to Clan battles too, since I don't play them. I seriously don't get players wanting to jump into clan battles, when they clearly have no grasp on the mechanics.....

Thoughts?

So ... what EXACTLY is the problem? What you just described is an indirect scenario where good players have an easier time reaching Typhoon. Wallet warriors are for the most part weaker players, once they get their rentals they form weak teams that get their a.s.s.e.s kicked at bronze and silver leagues - thus giving good teams easy wins (making the grind easier). The more players playing rentals, the better it is for good players who play competitively since people playing rentals generally dont know what they are doing. More wallet warriors = better for you.

Edited by Ulthwey

Members
1,201 posts
8,185 battles

You're concerned that people are rushing to tier 8 because there's a game mode they want to try that requires reaching tier 8?  And this is a problem?  I'm sure WG just sees it as a successful enticement to get people to play more.

Also, while spending more time at low tiers will help improve your skills, it's only up to a point.  The low tier random meta is radically different from how clan battles are played.  No amount of seal clubbing in Clemson or Bogatyr is going to make someone an effective part of a tier 10 team.  They're going to have to just jump in and try it, and they'll have a rough learning curve whether they rushed to tier 8 or not.

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,226 battles
3 hours ago, GarethOfKelshim said:

This is how Wargaming is monetizing their free to play game

Follow the money & you will have your side effect answer, OP.

I have only bought a couple premiums tho I do spend money for Doubloons so I support WoWS that way.

(otherwise, I'd be playing T5/6, at most, probably & certainly not as many tech tree lines)

[PVE]
Members
5,311 posts
17,798 battles

I don't see this as a problem either. The OP is also assuming it is new players buying premium ships to do this, there really is not a way to prove that. Could be long term players breaking down and finally buying a premium ship, who knows? 

The real problem is there is the lack of players at tier 10, hence the rentals. It is also why we must drag tier 8 ships into tier 9/10 games so they can fill the fill the queue. Not so sure there is a lack of players with tier 8 ships, there are plenty of forum posts with them complaining about having to fight tier 10 matches more often than not... 

[INTEL]
Members
8,431 posts
25,304 battles
18 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

The real problem is there is the lack of players at tier 10, hence the rentals. It is also why we must drag tier 8 ships into tier 9/10 games so they can fill the fill the queue. Not so sure there is a lack of players with tier 8 ships, there are plenty of forum posts with them complaining about having to fight tier 10 matches more often than not... 

Yup. WG needs to work on making T10 more fun and playable. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,798 posts
8 hours ago, Bl4ckBaron said:

I think the real issue runs deeper.

Tier 9 and tier 10 economy is not optimized (some say its broken) and can be very unrewarding so a lot of players don't even bother to get tier 9 and 10 ships (also very expensive to acquire).

So, when WG decided to create clan battles at tier 10 suddenly realized that most of the players don't even have tier 10 ships, being forced to introduce this rental program.

Of course that this artificial workaround created a wonderful opportunity for people to get to tier 8 and enjoy tier 10 clan battles without having to spend the time and credits to grind it to tier 10.

Although I am at peace with the rental program for clan battles, allowing much more people to participate in the event, this type of trick can send the wrong message to the player base: "Do not even bother getting tier 9 and 10 ships because when you will really need we will let you rent them."

This type of "unofficial" agreement really saps the game because WG is losing revenues and kind of punishes the dedicated players that make it all the way to tier 10.

WG knows they need to fix high tier economy but they give it a lower priority compared with other aspects of the game. The sad part about it is that WoWs loses a lot with it and transforms the last tiers of the tech trees (probably the most interesting, challenging and better balanced) into no-man's land.

Best regards.

There is nothing wrong with the high tier economy.

The problem is with high tier gameplay.   They need to adjust the rewards system to make sure bow camping and damage farming isn't rewarded, and aggressive gameplay is.

• Cool 1