Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Speedstang

Kaga vs Saipan (Some Specific Questions)

21 comments in this topic

Members
445 posts
2,076 battles

I've been a 100% free player thus far in WoWs, primarily due to not being able to afford anything. That said, I do have a birthday coming up, so I may be able to acquire my first (paid) premium ship. 

The primary reason I want a premium is due to a severe crisis I have with credits. I have about a dozen ships I cannot play because I either cannot afford them (despite being researched already) or cannot afford crucial upgrades to them. Carriers are by far my favorite and best class, so not only will I have more fun with one, but I'll also earn more credits due to my higher average performance in matches compared to other classes.

Now the question becomes the Kaga or the Saipan. Both are good for commander training as I intended on grinding both carriers lines, so that isn't a factor. They are both equally useful to me in that regard.

Pros for Saipan

• The Saipan has the completely broken fighters (strafing out of a dogfight without losing a plane), meaning I won't have to worry about enemy fighters, even on AS loadouts. 
  • The planes are all tier 9, so they'll have substantially better speed and survivability than the planes of other carriers at that tier.
  • The loadout is 2-2-0, so half the spares are fighters and half the spares are torpedo bombers, pretty much giving the same massive reserves as the Ranger for those types, as the Ranger has them split with dive bombers.
  • Two separate torpedo bomber squadrons allow for cross drops on DDs making torping them substantially easier than on Independence or Ranger.
  • All squadrons have very fast rearmament times due to the small squadron size. (No more waiting 1:40 for my torpedo bombers to come back up if they're destroyed....)
  • The small size of the carrier itself allows for easy torpedo beats against a sneaky DD or enemy CV attempting to snipe.
  • Rather fast, allows for easy repositioning.

Cons for Saipan

• There are only three torpedo planes per squadron, so I'm a bit concerned about their survivability as I'm not sure how AA mechanics work. I have no idea if it applies to all planes at once eventually randomly shooting one down (which would hurt their survivability substantially compared to a larger squadron) or if it just goes one by one (No different from a large squadron in survivability). If someone could explain this to me that would be greatly appreciated.
  • The small squadrons also means I need to keep them together (in terms of the torpedo bombers), as 3 torps isn't all that effective.
  • The spread of the torpedoes seems rather large compared to the standard USN spread, so I'm a bit concerned about how feasible it is to think that I can get 5-6 hits every drop like I can with Independence or Ranger. (If someone has more info on the spread of Saipan torps that would be greatly appreciated.)
  • The overall damage dealing capability is MUCH lower than that of Kaga, so I'm a bit concerned about how much effect I can have on the outcome of the match.

Pros for Kaga

• The. Torps. Dear. Gosh. 12 torpedoes at 48 knots. Enough said.
  • Two separate torpedo squadrons of 6 each at 48 knots are unholy death itself to destroyers during a cross drop.
  • The torpedo spread is in two rows with the second row tightly packed, allowing for a well-aimed drop on a battleship to easily land 10 torps when combined with the massive speed and converging IJN drop pattern. (I believe this is how it drops, please correct me if I'm wrong.)
  • Very easy fire and/or flood stacking if the torpedoes do not wipe out the enemy ship in one go.
  • Dive bomber squadrons are USN sized rather than IJN sized, at 6 planes.
  • Massive reserve hangar. Just keeps on spamming more torpedoes.
  • Two separate fighter squadrons, not just one.

Cons for Kaga

• The ship is massive. Like, very massive. RIP torpedo beats. Vulnerable to being CV sniped.
  • Tier 6 planes. Very low HP, I'm very concerned about ending up useless in a tier 9 match. Not sure if even the 12 torpedo bombers will make it through tier 8 AA, much less tier 9. (If someone could clarify on this that would be helpful.)
  • Tier 6 fighters, strafing and baiting will be everything. I am also exceedingly screwed against an AS Saipan. (How is the ammo on the fighters? Can they strafe a good amount of times or do they run out quickly?)
  • A lot of planes in the air at once, one screw up by me and I can have a lot of planes lost from a well-placed enemy strafe (or pop of defensive fire).
  • Rather slow, repositioning quickly may be problematic.
  • Tier 6 planes are very slow, making them even more vulnerable to AA and enemy fighters.

To sum things up, my primary fears for the Saipan are not being able to deal enough damage (and the survivability of the small torpedo plane squadrons). My primary fears for Kaga are becoming completely useless under specifc scenarioes, such as a high AA game.

Can anyone clarify some of the issues I don't understand? Which ship should I pick?

Edited by Speedstang

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,325 posts
14,715 battles

Very detailed list.  Well reasoned.

I recommend the CV which compliments the CV line you enjoy playing.  For me it is the Kaga as I enjoy IJN play.  That said, the thing I hate most is a competently driven Saipan.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,672 posts
8,087 battles

Saipan is not a CV made for dealing damage. The Saipan goal is to basically incapacitate the ennemi CV by killing all his planes. 

Kaga on the other hand is a CV made for dealing damage. You can provide air cover but considering you have T6 planes don't expect much defense.

If you're looking for air supperiority over damage, take Saipan.

If you're looking for damage over air supperiority, take Kaga.

Both can do damage and air supperiority if you're good enough

[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
297 posts
15,811 battles

Saipan can decimate any other T7 CVs. Kaga (T6) fighters are no match against decent Saipan player's T9 planes, who will completely control the sky, Saipan can also rearm her TB fast so she can dish out DMG over time.

The only time Kaga will have chance against Saipan is when both CV are uptiered against T9 ships that has a lot of  AA, and you can use your friendly AA-spec ships' AA bubbles to launch strikes and dogfights.

Members
821 posts
3,891 battles

You want credits? Buy 90 days of premium for $33 and forget those $45 dollar carriers.

Better yet buy 30 days premium and wait for Christmas. or just save the $45 till then  Be a ton of deals and possible ship prizes for Christmas 

Edited by Strachwitz666
  • Cool 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
62 posts
11,186 battles

before you buy either so ask yourself this, are you comfortable with using manual drops? and are you comfortable using strafe? if no on either, pass on the premy cv's. having a premy cv does not mean you will become better instantly.
moving on....
i own both cv's. i like both cv's. both cv's require a different focus. 
kaga is more unforgiving for new cv player, but sweet baby Rngseus does the damage output is disgusting. weak planes, but if you play it right even on up-tiered matches you can earn serious bank.
saipan prob the more rookie friendly of the two, i learned to torp dds with this cv. if you can torp a small dd with this ships torp squad, you can hit anything out there just about. so really its about you the player improving. 

last thoughts.. if i had to take one to face the other, i would take saipan, but a good kaga player can handle a avg saipan player. (my kaga vs saipan game played last night https://replayswows.com/replay/9278 ) also, as a user of both cv's i hate facing off on a ranger with a 2 fighter 2 diver bomber load-out. so maybe try that out as well?

38 minutes ago, Strachwitz666 said:

You want credits? Buy 90 days of premium for $33 and forget those $45 dollar carriers.

Better yet buy 30 days premium and wait for Christmas. or just save the $45 till then  Be a ton of deals and possible ship prizes for Christmas 

^thats some good advice as well

[FAILD]
Members
36 posts
16,332 battles

Yup, premium time will be better than a CV premium. You want a good credit earner, I recommend the Texas, Arizona, Atago or Tirpitz. Molotv and Warspite are good too.

[HINON]
Members
8,886 posts

Black Friday they usually have a year of premium time for half price which if you play a lot over the next year is really worth it to pay for the credits you need, more commander xp, and quicker grinding up a line.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,748 posts
11,365 battles

To me it seems like your national preference and your skill level are the two big factors. Saipan seems like the easier of the two while Kaga seems to be trickier (though very very capable in the right hands).

Whatever you decide, I would hold off spending money as we are coming into the season of good deals.

[DIEBL]
Members
1,413 posts
14,309 battles

Both are great Saipan is prob my choice you can get lotsa 6 figure damage games and 30+ planes kills pretty easy once you get used to being busy with its planes and man drop well enough, Kaga devastates all ships and can tie up or distract other CV but you do have to be much more sneaky with its planes if enemy CV gud I don't have any probs playing against most KAGA in any of the CV other than Ranger but you just switch to AS mod and you can troll Both premiums honestly.

[OPGS]
Members
608 posts
4,038 battles

I never got the Kaga but as a saipan owner, i'd say as long as you got skill, go for the saipan.

Saipan only has 4 squadrons so it make it fun and easy to control.

The planes move fast so you can dictate your engagement with fighters and strike with your bombers before the enemy can intercept.

AA work on a percentage change per tick and since your planes have more hp and move faster (beeing T9), it allow you to keep on striking while losing few to no planes thus keeping your reserve for a long time, even in a T9 (ofc if you choose your target well).

Detectability and speed is good and your fighter will allow you to crush every other CV, both fighters and bombers.

The saipan has a wide spread because it is the IJN spread. The spread do also converge

While the saipan will not give you those 300k dmg KillTheWholeTeam game, it can still allow you to get fairly decent damage with no problem

Proof

Spoiler

High damage game

qRefIuD.jpg

Average damage

RVaw7ow.png

Top of the team in a T9 game (mostly killing dds)

rj49zBX.jpg

If i had to give a con, it can be hard to nail destroyers with only 3 torpedos wide, they can turn to make you miss or simply nudge a little and outrun the width of the spread.

Edited by marcmad

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,386 posts
7,979 battles

Do not underestimate Ranger's fighters against Saipan's, or rather, over estimate Saipan's. Allow me to explain both AA and fighter mechanics as they operate on the same principle. The basic principle is DPS divided by HP. So, if you want an idea what enemy ships AA is going to do with various upgrades, add up the DPS of whatever guns your planes may get in range of (usually only guns 25 mm and up unless DB's or manual drops). multiply by 1.1 for the flag that boosts AA, 1.2 for BFT, 1.25 for the AA damage upgrade slot, 1.3 for if they focus fire, double the damage any guns 85 mm and up before adding guns under that if your calculating with manual AA (which stacks with focus fire) and for defensive AA, x3 for cruisers and DD's that aren't USN or RU, x4 for those 2, 1.75 for IJN CV's, 1.25 for USN. Divide whatever number you get by your planes HP and that gets you the %chance per second you lose a plane. And you will start to see that just BFT and focusing can start to get to 50% and higher and that if you run into AA builds, they can achieve over 100% in some cases, usually cruisers.

Fighters is slightly different, in that the buffs can be changed to multipliers the same way (so 5% from aircraft service is 1.05) but the DPS you see when you hover over the module, is PER PLANE. So a built Ranger, especially those that are set up to deal with Saipan, has 7 fighters, DFE, and the upgrade to fighter DPS and hp and aircraft servicing expert. So vs Saipan's tier 9 fighters, that's about 517 damage. So against max HP Saipan fighters, they have a 21% chance per second to shoot one down. The Saipan maxes out at 15% and every plane you lose is 25% of your DPS in that case, and that % to shoot his planes down will drop like a rock - this is also the same reason IJN fighters are usually stomped by IJN. And while strafe may not calculate the tier bonus, assuming Ranger and Saipan have the same multiplier (as that's what it seems to be, just like defensive AA), Ranger still has the higher damage. That is arguably the biggest issue with Saipan and CV balance in general, how they are balanced. Saipan is on a razors edge that without DFE, Ranger still has the ability to more evenly match it, but a 3,0,1 can overwhelm it's fighters. DFE gives USN's OP fighters enough of a boost to beat a Saipan's, IJN still stands no chance vs Saipan. Saipan and the unneeded ammo buff the skill got have made DFE basically mandatory. Your bombers though, will have an edge against AA due to their higher HP though, tier 9's will still go through them like paper.

Also, partially because of the tier 6 planes DO NOT overestimate how amazing Kaga's drop is. Sure, it's pretty lethal in a cross drop that gets through, especially if your abusing manual drops and learn it with that ship (till they likely take  it away so we can maybe get an AA nerf), but outside a absolutely perfect cross with some RNG on your side (because torp spacing has a tad bit of RNG), a DD CAN skate through it, even some cruisers. The bigger thing though, is that pattern vs AA. To give you an idea, I'll use NC and it's long-mid range AA that an autodrop would typically face, with just BFT. Those guns, with BFT and AA is 466 damage, they likely focus your planes, that is 606, your max HP is 1270 on those bombers, meaning just that is a 47-48% chance per second to be shot down. add the flag? 52% and remember, it's a ship that can get some decent AA range and you have fairly slow planes. For grins and giggles full AA build, so adding manual AA - 72% chance per second. Iowa with just BFT and focus is 55% chance, full AA, cause it get's that module to add 25% DPS, full out AA build with focus fire achieves 102% chance per second against focused Kaga planes, without getting into 20 mm range. USN may be the AA monsters, but that 25% pretty much any tier 9 can add makes a big difference, especially with BFT.

Both fears you list at the end are well founded, against that same nightmare Iowa because they can achieve about double the HP Saipan's aircraft only have a 52% chance to be shot down by AA, however yes, you only have 3 in a group and RNG rolls wrong for you a whole group can vanish quick, and Kaga, well, it's in a slightly better place than GZ because that has to deal with tier x, but AA in general hurts it and AA builds can wreck it. Then you have to factor in that that math, is for singled out BB's, anything else in AA range only adds to how easy your planes can be wiped out for both of them. I've also found that floodings right now are rare in my Kaga, despite hits that I'm getting (4 from auto drops that made it through AA and that he couldn't dodge, 0 floods, 1 flood the whole match).

Not sure if this will help you in your decision, but at least you can figure out what kind of AA damage ships can do and how well fighters can do. Though maybe having how to do that math will help in figuring out which you want more?

Edited by WanderingGhost
  • Cool 1

[OPGS]
Members
608 posts
4,038 battles

7 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

-snip-

In the situation you are facing a more or less competent AS ranger, saipan is superior over the kaga. Torps planes will move faster and can drop before the ranger fighter can react and since you can disengage from a strafe without losing a plane (which is stupid op), you can abuse it to tear down the AS ranger fighters and possibly eventually clear sky it. Getting locked in a dogfight is dangerous so you should almost always be strafing in or out (or do the strafing trick) preventing any dogfight and forcing the issue on a strafe contest. Even then, you are not guaranteed to win but you just need to put up a good fight since your damage potential is a lot higher than the strike ranger.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,386 posts
7,979 battles
4 minutes ago, marcmad said:

In the situation you are facing a more or less competent AS ranger, saipan is superior over the kaga. Torps planes will move faster and can drop before the ranger fighter can react and since you can disengage from a strafe without losing a plane (which is stupid op), you can abuse it to tear down the AS ranger fighters and possibly eventually clear sky it. Getting locked in a dogfight is dangerous so you should almost always be strafing in or out (or do the strafing trick) preventing any dogfight and forcing the issue on a strafe contest. Even then, you are not guaranteed to win but you just need to put up a good fight since your damage potential is a lot higher than the strike ranger.

Problem is unless that Ranger doesn't know strafe, they can use the fact you just exited, and are stuck in a straight line, to infact strafe your planes to obliterate them. There is always part of it that comes down to play, I've beaten down a noob in a Saipan with my Kaga WITHOUT sniping him. Ranger with fighters built right, and a captain that knows what it's doing, Kaga and Saipan are the same level. Kaga can afford to lose TB's if it's fighters can't hold the Ranger's planes long enough while Saipan only has the speed and cannot afford to lose planes.

Members
445 posts
2,076 battles
43 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:
Spoiler

Do not underestimate Ranger's fighters against Saipan's, or rather, over estimate Saipan's. Allow me to explain both AA and fighter mechanics as they operate on the same principle. The basic principle is DPS divided by HP. So, if you want an idea what enemy ships AA is going to do with various upgrades, add up the DPS of whatever guns your planes may get in range of (usually only guns 25 mm and up unless DB's or manual drops). multiply by 1.1 for the flag that boosts AA, 1.2 for BFT, 1.25 for the AA damage upgrade slot, 1.3 for if they focus fire, double the damage any guns 85 mm and up before adding guns under that if your calculating with manual AA (which stacks with focus fire) and for defensive AA, x3 for cruisers and DD's that aren't USN or RU, x4 for those 2, 1.75 for IJN CV's, 1.25 for USN. Divide whatever number you get by your planes HP and that gets you the %chance per second you lose a plane. And you will start to see that just BFT and focusing can start to get to 50% and higher and that if you run into AA builds, they can achieve over 100% in some cases, usually cruisers.

Fighters is slightly different, in that the buffs can be changed to multipliers the same way (so 5% from aircraft service is 1.05) but the DPS you see when you hover over the module, is PER PLANE. So a built Ranger, especially those that are set up to deal with Saipan, has 7 fighters, DFE, and the upgrade to fighter DPS and hp and aircraft servicing expert. So vs Saipan's tier 9 fighters, that's about 517 damage. So against max HP Saipan fighters, they have a 21% chance per second to shoot one down. The Saipan maxes out at 15% and every plane you lose is 25% of your DPS in that case, and that % to shoot his planes down will drop like a rock - this is also the same reason IJN fighters are usually stomped by IJN. And while strafe may not calculate the tier bonus, assuming Ranger and Saipan have the same multiplier (as that's what it seems to be, just like defensive AA), Ranger still has the higher damage. That is arguably the biggest issue with Saipan and CV balance in general, how they are balanced. Saipan is on a razors edge that without DFE, Ranger still has the ability to more evenly match it, but a 3,0,1 can overwhelm it's fighters. DFE gives USN's OP fighters enough of a boost to beat a Saipan's, IJN still stands no chance vs Saipan. Saipan and the unneeded ammo buff the skill got have made DFE basically mandatory. Your bombers though, will have an edge against AA due to their higher HP though, tier 9's will still go through them like paper.

Also, partially because of the tier 6 planes DO NOT overestimate how amazing Kaga's drop is. Sure, it's pretty lethal in a cross drop that gets through, especially if your abusing manual drops and learn it with that ship (till they likely take  it away so we can maybe get an AA nerf), but outside a absolutely perfect cross with some RNG on your side (because torp spacing has a tad bit of RNG), a DD CAN skate through it, even some cruisers. The bigger thing though, is that pattern vs AA. To give you an idea, I'll use NC and it's long-mid range AA that an autodrop would typically face, with just BFT. Those guns, with BFT and AA is 466 damage, they likely focus your planes, that is 606, your max HP is 1270 on those bombers, meaning just that is a 47-48% chance per second to be shot down. add the flag? 52% and remember, it's a ship that can get some decent AA range and you have fairly slow planes. For grins and giggles full AA build, so adding manual AA - 72% chance per second. Iowa with just BFT and focus is 55% chance, full AA, cause it get's that module to add 25% DPS, full out AA build with focus fire achieves 102% chance per second against focused Kaga planes, without getting into 20 mm range. USN may be the AA monsters, but that 25% pretty much any tier 9 can add makes a big difference, especially with BFT.

Both fears you list at the end are well founded, against that same nightmare Iowa because they can achieve about double the HP Saipan's aircraft only have a 52% chance to be shot down by AA, however yes, you only have 3 in a group and RNG rolls wrong for you a whole group can vanish quick, and Kaga, well, it's in a slightly better place than GZ because that has to deal with tier x, but AA in general hurts it and AA builds can wreck it. Then you have to factor in that that math, is for singled out BB's, anything else in AA range only adds to how easy your planes can be wiped out for both of them. I've also found that floodings right now are rare in my Kaga, despite hits that I'm getting (4 from auto drops that made it through AA and that he couldn't dodge, 0 floods, 1 flood the whole match).

Not sure if this will help you in your decision, but at least you can figure out what kind of AA damage ships can do and how well fighters can do. Though maybe having how to do that math will help in figuring out which you want more?

Oh wow. Thank you a lot for your detailed response. I never quite understood how AA and plane HP worked, this helps immensely. I now understand how I lost (or didn't lose) aircraft in so many different scenarios that have occurred to me. Did not know about the RNG on Kaga torp spacing either. I'm still not quite sure what I want, but this helps considerably in visualizing how each would play in different scenarios. +1 for you. Also, in terms of the Ranger, it is getting the AS loadout removed, presumably next patch. With only one fighter squadron you can easily bully it by abusing the Saipan's special strafe ability.  

3 hours ago, vrabek22 said:

Yup, premium time will be better than a CV premium. You want a good credit earner, I recommend the Texas, Arizona, Atago or Tirpitz. Molotv and Warspite are good too.

The thing is, I play CVs a lot better than other classes. Also, I do have the Graf Spee from the event awhile back, but the credit earnings are almost always worse than my tier 6 tech tree ships. So I kind of question how viable premiums tier 6 and below are at credit earning. My Okytbraskaya Revolutsiya does much better than my tech tree tier 5s, but still worse than my tier 6 ships. As for the tier 8's, they are out of price range and I would really like to avoid facing tier 10s. That and I really hate German BBs. I also already have the ARP Takao (which I absolutely suck at and do not find any fun), so I don't think the Atago would be the best idea.

4 hours ago, Strachwitz666 said:

3 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

Black Friday they usually have a year of premium time for half price which if you play a lot over the next year is really worth it to pay for the credits you need, more commander xp, and quicker grinding up a line.

While premium time would be incredibly helpful, I still am left with no decent ship to farm with. I don't have any ship where I can say "Hey, I need some credits, I'll go play my something". Like I said, I am best at CVs (so I get more credits out of them typically), but the Lexington is an utterly terrible piece of garbage (seriously WG, a CV from 1925 as tier 8.... The Wasp and Yorktown classes were a thing.....) while the Ranger is hopelessly outclassed at tier 7. The Independence has been my best credit earner thus far, but it is frustrating to play at times due to the very low plane reserves, only 6 spare torpedo planes and 5 spare fighters. You take 1 strafe and you just cost yourself the match. What interests me about the Saipan and Kaga is that both seem incredibly fun, as I can think of very few situations that will match the frustrations of the aforementioned carriers.

As for waiting for Chrismas, I don't know. Last year they only did the Santa crates, and I'd rather not spend the only money I'll ever have to spend in this game on RNG. I will wait for the Black Friday sale and see if there is anything relevant to me though.  

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,386 posts
7,979 battles
6 hours ago, Speedstang said:

Oh wow. Thank you a lot for your detailed response. I never quite understood how AA and plane HP worked, this helps immensely. I now understand how I lost (or didn't lose) aircraft in so many different scenarios that have occurred to me. Did not know about the RNG on Kaga torp spacing either. I'm still not quite sure what I want, but this helps considerably in visualizing how each would play in different scenarios. +1 for you. Also, in terms of the Ranger, it is getting the AS loadout removed, presumably next patch. With only one fighter squadron you can easily bully it by abusing the Saipan's special strafe ability.  

One of the many reasons I'm against the changes they want to make to USN tech tree CV's. Though, still a good Ranger pilot even with 1 squad can still cause a headache for Saipan. It's also not just Kaga's torps, it's all torps. If you really focus on the drops you'll see sometimes 1 torp ends up closer to another. Which, at close ranges are less noticeable and impactful, but more so if dropped from longer and longer ranges. Torps the RNG has minimal effect, just a matter that sometimes it leaves a hole just big enough for a DD or cruiser to sneak through, nowhere near as bad as DB RNG, but it is there.

[OPGS]
Members
608 posts
4,038 battles
8 hours ago, WanderingGhost said:

Problem is unless that Ranger doesn't know strafe, they can use the fact you just exited, and are stuck in a straight line, to infact strafe your planes to obliterate them. There is always part of it that comes down to play, I've beaten down a noob in a Saipan with my Kaga WITHOUT sniping him. Ranger with fighters built right, and a captain that knows what it's doing, Kaga and Saipan are the same level. Kaga can afford to lose TB's if it's fighters can't hold the Ranger's planes long enough while Saipan only has the speed and cannot afford to lose planes.

Problem is they can't. When you exit a strafe, the other planes is locked in place for a few second, preventing it to move or strafe while you can strafe the now immobile plane with your other fighter. If both CVs do that, the saipan is gonna come ahead since he doesn't lose planes from it. A ranger with a single fighter is more of a roadbump to the saipan. With only 1 squad, it can't use the strafe trick, still lose planes while disengaging and the saipan fighters are faster allowing to catch it in his retreat.

In term of saipan vs kaga, it's a question of preference. In summary, the kaga got large reserves at the cost of slow and fragile planes and can output some very scary strike power.
The saipan is very good at beating the other CV and can retain their planes a long time due to more speed and hp but have a weaker strike potential.

[-TAB-]
Beta Testers
68 posts
5,971 battles

If you play  a Saipan you will have air control  and spotting power

If you play Kaga and you are a great player can carry the whole team

1/10 matches in a Kaga you will face a  similar skilled Saipan an you will have to just take it , nothing you can do. Even snipping Saipan is so fast they should get plane back in time . just take it 1/10 matches and dominate the rest 

Go KAGA if you rank as a great CV player

Go Saipan if  you want to be a great CV player

Edited by OppressorUnion

[808]
Supertester
850 posts
4,860 battles

I own and enjoy both...but for a recommendation I'd say Saipan only because of up tiering.  In the Kaga when you get up tiered...which is often...it is a very difficult fight.  The Saipan up tiers much better.  About the CV snipe part though...actually at that tier it is really difficult for any CV to pull off a snipe against an even halfway decent captain...except for the Kaga...Kaga snipes other CVs surprisingly well.

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,311 posts
5,577 battles

One thing I will add.

Of the two, the Saipan has a much higher chance of being changed from what you are purchasing now, based on Dev comments about the USN CV loadout changes.  The Kaga fits in with the comments that the Devs are happy with where the IJN line is, so is considerably less likely to get changed.

While it's possible both ships will remain unchanged, you should make any decision to purchase with the knowledge that what a Saipan counts on to be successful may very well be taken from it, while a Kaga is likely to keep its current configuration for the foreseeable future.

Note this is not set in stone, but only based on what we've heard in the various discussions about the USN CV loadout changes, and may prove to be incorrect, so it is only possibility at this point.  No definite word on it beyond commentary.

My two cents.

Edited by Jakob_Knight

Sign in to follow this