Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Radical_20

Benson, mod 3 torps.. worth it?

5 comments in this topic

Members
120 posts
6,386 battles

Ok, I unlocked the Benson last week, and as I always do, I spend time in Co-Op battles skilling up the captain and getting XP for the various modules.

I'm reading Wargaming's own wiki regarding the research path. "Like Mahan, Hull (B) is the best place to invest early experience gains. After that, captains are encouraged to research the upgraded Torpedo module for better reload times and more damage."

But..!

There seems to be a contradiction between their wiki and the game.

The base torps have a reload of 109.0 seconds.  The upgrade torps have a reload of 122.0 seconds. Sure the upgrade torps have more damage.. but is that enough to make it worth the longer load time?

Members
2,156 posts
4,848 battles

i always get the hull first. on every ship. no matter what. it's just too important to have the rudder shift and HP of the better hulls.

as for the Benson torps, i would say yes. it is worth it. increased damage is the difference between a ship dying to your torps or living to kill you. the extra 13 seconds on the reload is survivable, and i usually found that i wasn't launching my torps right away with the stock torps anyways. your experience may differ, of course.

[LANCE]
Members
293 posts
3,100 battles

IIRC you may also just want to stick with the B hull as it has an extra turret. The C hull replaces a turret with AA mounts. For me an extra gun is worth more than AA.

As for the torps, the upgrade is worth it. Benson torps aren’t the best but they’re workable.

Good luck with the Benson. She’s a fine ship and if you like her, you’ll love the fletcher!’

Beta Testers
578 posts
990 battles
On 11/18/2017 at 8:19 PM, BoraHorzaGobuchul said:

43% more damage for a 12% increase in load time.

Now I am not a mathematician... but this seems to add up. 

Definitely go for the upgraded torps, the better damage lets you hit way harder and if you stagger your launches you can really wreck some ships.

Happy hunting

Sign in to follow this