You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Zath

Zath's Replay Theater Week 2!

22 comments in this topic

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
4,668 posts
15,160 battles

I hope the mic sounds better now :).  A lot of awesome replays coming up!  I'll post here as they are uploaded.  As always, send me replays if you'd like me to check out your games and comment on them.  For now, please enjoy @marcmad's game in the Bellerophon.  Don't forget to follow this thread so you're notified of additional video releases :).

And here's the second of the week:

Edited by Lord_Zath
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
5,682 posts
3,886 battles

"You can't assume everybody else is aware of the things you're aware of." Such an assumption was one of the reasons for the British not making the most of Jutland. (See Andrew Gordon's excellent book "The Rules of the Game" for Gordon's outstanding analysis on the British command, control and communication failures in that battle and his thesis on the underlying reasons why.)

[-K-]
4,668 posts
15,160 battles

Agreed.  Thanks for watching!

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles

Theater week ftw!

[-K-]
4,668 posts
15,160 battles

I think it's time for @Lert to teach us how to sealclub play low tier cruisers!

[HINON]
Supertester
18,898 posts
12,421 battles

Bogatyr :P

Watching now, will add comments to your comments.

Why I'm not using premium DCP: Because I'm stupid and never actually applied one. Will do so now! Thanks.

Isokaze's torpedoes just ran out right before hitting me: Yeah, that was lucky. I'd gone full reverse to try and stop but would've still gotten hit if they hadn't run out.

Why I aimed back to the wyoming: To check his guns and visual check the fires I had going on him.

Note: I do like spreading my fires around.

Isokaze and V-170 in middle: I was out of position during this section, where you paused. I should've been more north and threatened that Isokaze more. I was too tunnelvisioned on everything going on around C cap.

St Louis pushes me into a torpedo: I was quite annoyed at that, but tried to keep my cool.

V-170 kills Isokaze: I didn't even catch this while playing, was too tunnelvisioned.

Firing at the distant cruiser: You mention you wouldn't have because it gave the Clemson intel on my position. That is a very good point, I'll keep that in mind.

Shell cam / Zee / zed key: I like this view. I know many people find it annoying but I like it. I'll generally follow my shells to the target if I have the time / brainwidth to.

Langley focus: I just wanted to see if I could get him on fire with a salvo to hinder his plonks. You'll notice I kept a weather eye on the Clemson as I did.

"I would turn north, what will I do when I kill this Langley": You are right and I should've done that.

"Only 100 points left in this battle": Yep. Once again, you're right. That's twice I was out of position. I could've done more damage if I had turned north earlier.

Langley positioning: THANK YOU for bringing attention to carrier positioning! Plane turnaround is a killer. The further from the battle you are as a carrier, the less sorties you'll be able to do and the less damage you'll do.

@Lord_Zath Thanks for narrating my replay! It was a very enjoyable battle and I thought I did well, although re-watching it and your commentary made me realize a few mistakes, like being out of position twice. That's why I'm not a unicum I guess. :)

• Cool 2

[-K-]
4,668 posts
15,160 battles

Thanks for the correction...  fixed I hope :)

[-K-]
4,668 posts
15,160 battles
4 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

Just started watching and wow that mic really helps. :cap_like:

Great to know! I was thinking of raising the music volume to add to the immersion...  do you think I should or is it good as-is?

[NDA]
Supertester
4,770 posts
13,557 battles
4 minutes ago, Lord_Zath said:

Great to know! I was thinking of raising the music volume to add to the immersion...  do you think I should or is it good as-is?

I can hear your narration over the game sounds perfectly and I don't have to have the sound turned way up. Listing with head phones and speakers seems just fine.  

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,898 posts
12,421 battles
16 minutes ago, Lord_Zath said:

do you think I should or is it good as-is?

Is good as-is. You were very clear and easy to understand.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
4,668 posts
15,160 battles

Great thanks!  I'm going to continue updating my first thread to make it easier for people to follow.  Apologies for the double threads...  just trying to learn all of this stuff :).

[-K-]
4,668 posts
15,160 battles
Just now, Lert said:

Is good as-is. You were very clear and easy to understand.

Great thanks!

[-K-]
4,668 posts
15,160 battles

Also, thanks for the comments, @Lert!  Glad this was a positive experience :)

[BIAS]
Members
2,991 posts
8,970 battles

Nicely done. One slight suggestion I would make, turn off your mods when doing videos. In videos especially like these ones, that are intended for new/newer players, they could be easily confused with some of the mods.

[SF-3]
[SF-3]
Beta Testers
226 posts
12,852 battles

Just watched a couple of the replays. Very nice job zath. I will be watching more and maybe I'll send a replay in so u can pick apart my play and hopefully give me some good advice. 

• Cool 1

[-K-]
4,668 posts
15,160 battles

Sounds great!

[OPGS]
Members
608 posts
4,038 battles

I didn't expect my replay to be taken in. Thank. As for the reason i turned broadside to the battleships, the team was a fair bit behind and i was about to run into a 1v3 with a DD firing on my broadside and chasing my back. I had to disengage from the 3 ships and deal with the DD 1v1. Battleships at this tier are not super accurate and don't citadel as much so i was confident i would get out of it without dieing. Killing that dd also ended up being important since a point contest where they had 4 caps and a dd roaming around didn't seem like it would do much good.

All in all it was good.

Edited by marcmad
  • Cool 1

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
On 11/18/2017 at 5:44 PM, Ducky_shot said:

Nicely done. One slight suggestion I would make, turn off your mods when doing videos. In videos especially like these ones, that are intended for new/newer players, they could be easily confused with some of the mods.

This is what I was thinking as well. 

[-K-]
4,668 posts
15,160 battles

I suppose I could turn mods off...  if I did that, it'd be harder to judge angles for when players are using AP, or perhaps miss when other players on the team take a big hit.  So we'll lose some info for commentary...

[BIAS]
Members
2,991 posts
8,970 battles
57 minutes ago, Lord_Zath said:

I suppose I could turn mods off...  if I did that, it'd be harder to judge angles for when players are using AP, or perhaps miss when other players on the team take a big hit.  So we'll lose some info for commentary...

Yeah, you could run with just ones you think you need for explanation. Pain in the neck to reinstall every time you want to go make videos, but what you could do is copy your mod folder after each patch and then reinstall with a second set of mods and then copy it and then you could just swap the folders in and out as needed. Quicker than reinstalling every time.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

Yeah- just have a res_mods1 and a res_mods folder... you can change them out when you want to commentate. 

Keep in mind of average age and consider the audience. This isn't to sound "ageist" but it's been brought up time and time again. The more vanilla the better. 

At the VERY least- (and you might do this already, don't recall) mention which mods you're using in the description so that people know what you have tuned to your own liking.