Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Working on a weakness in my dd gameplay

12 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,807 battles

Watching replays of my games (Tier IV destroyers of USN, IJN, German and Russian plus Tier V IJN and USN).  I've identified a weakness in my gameplay.  Once I get challenged on a CAP, I WSAD so much that I have a relatively low gun hit rate on other dds in CAP fights (not a good thing if you're driving a dd).  To help fix that I turned to the Training Room.  I first tried me in a Clemson alone with 4 other Tier IV dds that were active but no return firepower  (good target practice but not much help).  Next was a 2X4 match with me again being the only one to fire (same result).  New plan for the Training Room, equal teams (fun with all dds, but still).  Bottom line, I don't know how to program the Training Room to do what I need.

I need basic gunnery training with a ship underway, maneuvering and trying to maintain a lock on an enemy.  It isn't that esay

Just trying to be the best teammate that you meet in the game.  Next time that you look over and there is a Clemson, or an Isokaze (or their Big Brothers), it might be me. 

• Cool 1

[NEMO]
[NEMO]
Members
752 posts
6,836 battles

What DD's to you have trouble against?

Watch the enemies guns and try to time your WASD between their shots.

Hold your right mouse button between shots so your turrets stay where you last aimed them. This makes it far easier to aim quickly and fire off a salvo.

Expect to be hit by their fire while you're returning it. (It's not called a knife fight for nothing).

[FAE]
Members
2,120 posts
2,510 battles

I've found its pretty much impossible to avoid most of the damage. Also, having a higher render and graphics setting helps to see shells incoming. 

Members
1,509 posts
7,947 battles

Hey

I also struggle with DD play involving caps; I run the German DD's and don't have high enough Captains for concealment (most are 6-8pt captains) which is ok at lower tiers but struggle at T5 and above.  I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing wrong but I do much better at lone hunting ships, being a pain in the butt but when it comes to caps and knife fighting other DD's, I prefer my Nurnberg actually.

Pete

[TNG]
[TNG]
Members
72 posts
12,586 battles

Just my 2 cents of advice here: Don't aim . Lob your shots at where you think the enemy will be. If you're in a USN dd and you find your target wiggling, don't give target the lead because the shells travel so slow. Saturate the enemy walking path. Aim at where the enemy might run. If the enemy wriggles left and right, just lob shots at the middle and they will catch the pummeling shots somehow.

[DD214]
Members
757 posts

Don't rush the cap at all costs. Know the detection range of the red dds in relation to yours and relative knife-fighting abilities. Then pick fights accordingly. Simple avoidance isn't the best answer, being able to pick and win fights and take and/or deny caps has more than one tactical layer. Good for you working on honing skills. See you out there. 

• Cool 1

Members
623 posts
6,893 battles
44 minutes ago, Seamus_44 said:

Don't rush the cap at all costs. Know the detection range of the red dds in relation to yours and relative knife-fighting abilities. Then pick fights accordingly. Simple avoidance isn't the best answer, being able to pick and win fights and take and/or deny caps has more than one tactical layer. Good for you working on honing skills. See you out there. 

This is excellent advice above OP. Don't volunteer to be the first to die at the cap. Play a medium to long game, you can always come back.

I always look at the Red DD lineup and decide which ones I'll throw down with, if need be, and which ones I'll avoid until I have a HP advantage.

[SSPL]
Supertester
32 posts
4,635 battles

Practice gunnery. That’s the big thing. I’ve got my gunnery to the point where I’m confident I will win most 1 on 1 dd fights. Unfortunately it only comes with practice and time. 

Members
1,509 posts
7,947 battles

Hey

Good advice about rushing caps; since that is when I usually fail, too many people are better than me and my German DD's since they are not the best turning and generally have the worst detection, I also do not have CE on mine since they are only 8 pt captains.  Great points; a DD that's still alive at mid to late game is very deadly to BB's.  I just need to SLOW down my game play more with DD's.

Pete

[TF57]
Members
1,238 posts
3,920 battles

Best DD advice: stay alive. It sounds trite, but DD get stronger the longer the match goes. Engage other DDs only if you "get the jump" on them or your support ships (close to cap) are better than theirs. DD v DD fights can often leave you both too damaged. Choose your battles. 

Which is better? Taking a cap in the first minutes, then dying, and losing the cap immediately afterwards? Or staying alive to the end of the game, taking all 3 caps because you were alive to do so?

1. Check enemy DD and know their detection ranges (this enables you to know what DD it is if you get spotted first). Know their gunnery ability (i.e. Clemson vs Isokaze - you'll comfortably outgun him)

2. Don't rush cap and fight to the death straight off the bat. Dip your toe in the cap. Plan to bail.  Have an escape route. Fight if you have the advantage.

3. Contact: check your support ships vs enemy support ships in range. (i.e. you followed by a single cruiser, enemy DD supported by three cruisers + a BB = they have big advantage).  1v1 your Clemson will beat most T4 DDs...  ...but not if they have a lot more friends...

4. Don't automatically drop smoke. Let them smoke first (and blind themselves, hopefully, losing the scouting game) then, perhaps torp their smoke.

5. If you have two actions or maneuvers, choose the most cautious/best for your HP (your HP is 3-4x more valuable than that of other classes) until halfway through the game where you can decide to be more adventurous

6. Don't always have to shoot back.  Sometimes it is better to stealth up and evade, especially if you are outnumbered. Every time you start to engage with guns, consider: who has the advantage here?  If it isn't you, and you can break away, then do so. Don't trade unless it favours you.

Gunnery: Use the dynamic crosshair in settings so you don't need to "lead" as much. (it's set for 30kt targets not 20kt ones) Also, for DD, don't zoom in all the way (only 3 clicks in/half zoom, say).

Stay at T4 until you are comfortable (i.e. above server average damage and win rate in your ships). Enemy gunnery gets even more punishing as you go up tiers. Then progress to T7 and stay there for a while.  T8-10 is not the holy grail for DD due to the proliferation of long-range camping, radar and very accurate cruiser/BB guns.

EDIT:

Get an Izylsav as well - they are different to Clemson (better at longer ranges) and also fun.

Fighting bots in a DD is very different to a real game: they tend to "see" you even when stealthed and make a beeline for you often.

Stay alive. Only fight when you can win. You don't need to cap instantly: you can come back later (very important at higher tiers).  Team up with a friend (perhaps one in a cruiser so they can support you on the cap: two DD in division is not good as you should probably be scouting different parts of the map)

Edited by evilleMonkeigh

[DRACS]
Members
3,350 posts

Note: Nothing stops you from WASDing while zoomed in to aim. In fact, you SHOULD always be WASDing in DD on DD fights so you don't become predictable enough to torp. That being said, it also depends on the boat you're in. Some DDs, such as low tier RU and IJN DDs, can out turn their turret traverse. Whereas USN DDs are really good for keeping their guns on target no matter how much they shake their butts.

Members
1,509 posts
7,947 battles
6 hours ago, KaptainKaybe said:

Note: Nothing stops you from WASDing while zoomed in to aim. In fact, you SHOULD always be WASDing in DD on DD fights so you don't become predictable enough to torp. That being said, it also depends on the boat you're in. Some DDs, such as low tier RU and IJN DDs, can out turn their turret traverse. Whereas USN DDs are really good for keeping their guns on target no matter how much they shake their butts.

Hey

I agree; nothing worse than having to dodge and weave and your guns can't keep up.  I have that issue with the German DD and one of the reasons I hated the Yorck cruiser.   Faster the guns move, the better, just with a DD there are so many skills that you need, like concealment.

Pete

Sign in to follow this