You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sventex

Chinese Censorship in Warships?

61 comments in this topic

[REVY]
Members
6,019 posts
5,102 battles

There was a topic discussing the flag that many countries would get to fly their national flags due to censorship reasons in China.  That topic has now vanished without a trace.  Just how much influence does China have over this game?  If Taiwan or Korea will not be allowed to show their flags, will the United States flag be next?

• Cool 3

[SYN]
Members
4,530 posts
11,434 battles

Wow that topic disappeared quick.

Not good...

[_ARP_]
[_ARP_]
Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
11,944 posts
3,863 battles

2. PROHIBITIONS and RESTRICTIONS

2.6 Politics, Major Religions or Religious Figures The World of Warships forums are for discussions regarding World of Warships. This is not the place for controversial topics, and the Off-Topic section shall not be used for these topics as well.

Posting about social, religious, political, illegal or other controversial topics that may create offense. As well as negative portrayal of religious and political figures.

This includes topics regarding elections, politicians, current world events, discussions of older politics relating to previous military actions or wars, and any topic closed my moderator as too controversial for amicable discussion.

Due to the sensitive nature of current world events, even sympathy posts regarding any recent tragedies will be closed due to their potential to incite anger and cause conflict.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
4,530 posts
11,434 battles
17 minutes ago, Goose21891 said:

2. PROHIBITIONS and RESTRICTIONS

2.6 Politics, Major Religions or Religious Figures The World of Warships forums are for discussions regarding World of Warships. This is not the place for controversial topics, and the Off-Topic section shall not be used for these topics as well.

Posting about social, religious, political, illegal or other controversial topics that may create offense. As well as negative portrayal of religious and political figures.

This includes topics regarding elections, politicians, current world events, discussions of older politics relating to previous military actions or wars, and any topic closed my moderator as too controversial for amicable discussion.

Due to the sensitive nature of current world events, even sympathy posts regarding any recent tragedies will be closed due to their potential to incite anger and cause conflict.

...but allowing highly controversial political policies negatively affect decisions about game design is OK.  Particularly that which concerns individual nations right to be properly represented, without being "blotted out" by the delicate insecurities of an extremely uptight and overbearing neighbor.

Edited by Kuckoo
  • Cool 8

[PSP]
Members
6,042 posts
8,585 battles

That's what I dislike about internet forums. No matter what they are set up to discuss, the second a conversation starts to become interesting the mods usually delete it. This happens even in forums dedicated to political, historical, and philosophical discussion. I mentioned the problem with sycophantic and ineffectual university administration in the aforementioned thread. Just instituting a policy to "if we don't like it we will censor it" solves nothing. However, one must realize that WG is not an American company. Very few countries in the world today actually have free speech. If you work for a foreign company that pays your salary then you are not going to "buck the system" even to stand up for American rights. Also, free speech today, even in America, is under attack by those hiding behind the guise of creating "safe spaces" where people won't ever have to feel "triggered" by hearing something that offends their delicate sensibilities.

• Cool 4

Members
9,868 posts
1 hour ago, Kuckoo said:

...but allowing highly controversial political policies negatively affect decisions about game design is OK.  Particularly that which concerns individual nations right to be properly represented, without being "blotted out" by the delicate insecurities of an extremely uptight and overbearing neighbor.

Is that really the issue?

Or is it that people want to drag politics into an ARCADE GAME? :Smile_facepalm:

Not justifying WG's scorched earth policies regarding controversy.., but this is a game..and the logic behind your argument seems to say it isn't.

Edited by awiggin

[R-R-R]
Members
970 posts
6,427 battles

It has nothing to do with censorship. Only CN server client has that.

The change on Pan-Asia flags is to avoid political-related disputes.

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
3 minutes ago, Exciton8964 said:

It has nothing to do with censorship. Only CN server client has that.

The change on Pan-Asia flags is to avoid political-related disputes.

I'm not so sure about that.

This time they may censor it on all servers is what I think.

[SIM]
Members
2,439 posts
4,080 battles

So let me get this straight, we can add ships to the game from certain Asian nations, but not the flags of those nations? And this is because of the Chinese server, even though on the Chinese server all other nations are represented by fictitious entities? Do I have that right, or am I misinformed?

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
936 posts
6,366 battles

Pretty sad when a game has to be PC for fear of offending someone's sensitive feelings. Taiwan is an internationally recognized nation, whether China chooses to believe it or not. 

• Cool 4

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
2 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

So let me get this straight, we can add ships to the game from certain Asian nations, but not the flags of those nations? And this is because of the Chinese server, even though on the Chinese server all other nations are represented by fictitious entities? Do I have that right, or am I misinformed?

Yeah you're right. People found it offensive and what I've heard is they went as far as going to government institutions, I suppose for threatening WG. 

• Cool 1

[R-R-R]
Members
970 posts
6,427 battles
1 minute ago, Silver_kun said:

Yeah you're right. People found it offensive and what I've heard is they went as far as going to government institutions, I suppose for threatening WG. 

I am following the Chinese forum. Yeah, there is someone reporting the situation to the ministry of foreign affairs. Although I highly doubt they would bother with a foreign company on this matter. But it still makes things way more complicated than it should.

So to avoid further disputes, I think WG did the right thing.

• Cool 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,635 posts
14,025 battles
1 hour ago, awiggin said:

Is that really the issue?

Or is it that people want to drag politics into an ARCADE GAME? :Smile_facepalm:

Not justifying WG's scorched earth policies regarding controversy.., but this is a game..and the logic behind your argument seems to say it isn't.

It's both.  The Mainland Chinese were in an uproar that Taiwanese Destroyers were flying Taiwanese flags.  It's both politics and caving in.

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
18 minutes ago, Exciton8964 said:

I am following the Chinese forum. Yeah, there is someone reporting the situation to the ministry of foreign affairs. Although I highly doubt they would bother with a foreign company on this matter. But it still makes things way more complicated than it should.

So to avoid further disputes, I think WG did the right thing.

Ministry of foreign affairs? I didn't no it had got to that stage, thanks for the information though, I think I should check the Chinese forum myself sometime...

WG did do the right thing no doubt about that, no need to get involved in such a situation over a virtual flag.

Edited by Silver_kun

[HCH]
Beta Testers
858 posts
7,179 battles

If WG really was dancing to the tunes of a Chinese boss, then how in the name of hell were they able to get away with letting Kaga keep her Hinomaru on her flight deck?

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
1 minute ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

By speaking on politics in this manner, you're running the risk of a forum ban.

I certainly wouldn't like that...

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,742 posts
7,373 battles
Just now, Silver_kun said:

I certainly wouldn't like that...

It's generally allowed when we're having historical discussions, but it's all but never allowed like this. I'm not judging the OP in any way, I'm just stating the facts.

Beta Testers
217 posts
22 minutes ago, sulghunter331 said:

If WG really was dancing to the tunes of a Chinese boss, then how in the name of hell were they able to get away with letting Kaga keep her Hinomaru on her flight deck?

Because neither the Chinese nor South Korean community have any real issues with the use of the Hinomaru, that's why in game it (and not the Kyokujitsu-ki)  is used represent the IJN - the Kyokujitsu-ki was removed because of issues in South Korea

• Cool 1

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
1 minute ago, Magnus_Lux said:

Because neither the Chinese nor South Korean community have any real issues with the use of the Hinomaru, that's why in game it (and not the Kyokujitsu-ki)  is used represent the IJN - the Kyokujitsu-ki was removed because of issues in South Korea

Interesting to know.

[BIAS]
Members
3,047 posts
9,021 battles
1 hour ago, Gen_Saris said:

Pretty sad when a game has to be PC for fear of offending someone's sensitive feelings. Taiwan is an internationally recognized nation, whether China chooses to believe it or not. 

Taiwan has not declared their own independence from PRC, hard for other nations to recognize them as their own nation when they do not themselves. It's just a messed up situation overall

Edited by Ducky_shot

[SIDE]
Members
714 posts
3,149 battles

In china version of World of Warships Taiwan's flag will be most likely disabled. I don't see how South Korea's flag will be disabled since that is an official country. In the current game's US version the Nazi Swastika and Japan's Raising Sun flag is also disabled.

However there is nothing stopping users from adding mods that enable these flags.

Members
510 posts
2,839 battles
17 minutes ago, Ducky_shot said:

Taiwan has not declared their own independence from PRC, hard for other nations to recognize them as their own nation when they do not themselves.

That's because they were both historically "China". Taiwan lost its recognition over time and began to accept their independence. They are also an adamant ally to the West which China detests and I'm sure they'd rather not rock the boat too much and get invaded. Literally. Still, most other countries recognize them. Theres a similar issue with Hong Kong.

Edited by ksix

[INTEL]
Members
8,440 posts
25,328 battles
16 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

Taiwan has not declared their own independence from PRC, hard for other nations to recognize them as their own nation when they do not themselves. It's just a messed up situation overall

Taiwan isn't part of the PRC at the moment. The (currently in opposition) KMT, which retreated to the island in 1949, wants to annex the island to China and is allied to the Communist Party of the PRC, while the (currently in power) DPP is pro-independence, but argues that the island is already independent since the 1996 presidential election, under the Republic of China (ROC) moniker -- at least officially. Of course it wants to convert this de facto independence into de jure independence as Taiwan, since the ROC claims Taiwan is part of China, which most Taiwanese do not accept.

The problem isn't so much "independence" but getting it recognized by other nations. At present the "ROC" is recognized by about 20 minor nations, but as "China" and not "Taiwan". This complex situation is not well understood outside circles where people have seriously studied it.   

Edited by Taichunger

Members
510 posts
2,839 battles
6 minutes ago, Merlox said:

In china version of World of Warships Taiwan's flag will be most likely disabled. I don't see how South Korea's flag will be disabled since that is an official country. In the current game's US version the Nazi Swastika and Japan's Raising Sun flag is also disabled.

However there is nothing stopping users from adding mods that enable these flags.

There are no nation flags in Chinese WoWS as its illegal to use flags for entertainment purposes in China. If people are really complaining its either pan Asian server players or children of politicians getting butthurt that China has minimalist navy representation vs Taiwan. 

Edited by ksix