Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

13 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

223
[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
699 posts
11,657 battles

Hi there!

 

If you are a new player, allow me to welcome you to World of Warships and to point out some of what you will experience here. I will preface everything that follows by telling you that I am not a great player. I am perhaps slightly above average. But I have been around a while, have been active (albeit with few posts) on the forums, and have played a lot of games here. World of Warships recently having been added to Steam, I expect we will see an influx of new players. Maybe you are one of them. If you have been playing games online a while, you likely know that there are often issues with what can be loosely termed as "toxicity" among players, in the game and on the forums. Not everyone is rude or hyper-critical, but those that are can poison the experience with just a few lines of text. So, allow me to suggest that you do your best to ignore it when you see it, particularly if it is directed at you or your game play. In game there is a function for reporting players. Make use of that if you feel it is merited. But try not to engage in a shouting match with another player. It really never helps. The fact that you are here, reading this, suggests that you are one of the relative few interested in engaging in the community beyond simply playing the game. Please consider this forum an opportunity to learn about the complexities of the game. There is a lot of knowledge in the people that visit here regularly, and you can tap into that. But there are a few important suggestions I would like to make. Forgive me laying them out this way, but I believe these are important:

 

1. Claims that the game is broken or that a ship is terrible because you are not doing well will generally not be well received. Such posts, if I can generalize on behalf of this forum, are usually viewed with a jaundiced eye, the impression that because one person is having a hard time everything should change to better suit them difficult to be patient and understanding with. This comes from having seen such posts many, many, many times. As an alternative, a simple declaration of "I need help with X" because I do not understand it or am not doing well with it" will generally receive helpful hints and suggestions. Trolling is frowned upon. Posts designed to be incendiary or divisive will often result in your being labeled as a troll. This can make it difficult for you to receive constructive feedback on your non-troll posts. Avoid being a troll.

 

2. Understand that this is a game of surprising complexity that is covered in a veneer of arcade-game simplicity. Some players will never scratch beneath that veneer. Your being here suggests that you want to delve a little deeper into the game. You will find a lot of people here willing to help you do that. But please try to avoid falling prey to the temptation to write a "this game is bad because" post in the style mentioned in #1 (above) while you are learning about the game.

 

3. Youtube is your friend. Type "WoWS how to (insert your ship name here)" and you will likely find multiple different videos from various contributors, each with something you might find valuable.

 

4. Information is your ally. You can find a great deal of information at: The World of Warships Wiki. Take some time and get familiar with the ships you are playing. And learn about the ships you are playing against. Just got your butt handed to you by something you did not expect or see coming? Don't rage about it on the forums, learn about how it happened and how to prevent falling prey to it again.

 

5. Be Patient. This cannot be overstated. There is a lot to learn, appreciate, and enjoy in this game. Trying to learn and experience it all in a hurry is almost certain to be a frustrating and demoralizing experience. Take your time. Play lots of games in low-tier ships. Don't rush into higher-tier play until you really have a grasp on what your current tier has to teach you. There is no great reward for reaching Tier 10. Sure, the ships are better. But if you rush to get there you will not understand the fundamentals of playing at that tier, and you will be playing against players with many thousands of games under their belt and a deep understanding of how the game works to rely on. Learn all the fundamentals you can before you approach high-tier play. You are much more likely to enjoy this game long term with this approach. 

 

If you are a veteran of the game I hope you will understand what I am trying to do here and that I am asking for your help. This is especially true if you have a position of leadership (CC, Youtuber, Super-Unicum, Unicum, Clan Leader, Prolific Forum Poster, etc.) or any other relatively high-profile position or standing. Please consider that the culture in a hierarchy is generally top-down. Those in the spotlight are being watched, and likely emulated, by those that admire them or aspire to become like them. What tone and attitude toward our fellow players, new players in particular, are we demonstrating? Is it the one we want to demonstrate? For most of us the answer will be yes, wherever we fall on the spectrum between helpful and critical. But if you are considering this for the first time, remember that you can decide to present yourself however you want and that the way you present yourself can and will have an impact on others. Please know that I am not calling anyone out. I understand that there are many different personalities and that my view is not the "right" one, or any more important or valid than yours. I also understand that there are times when being blunt is quite appropriate. I am just trying to shine a light on something and sincerely hoping for your thoughts and input, our collectively finding a way to help new players that are interested in learning about the game and becoming a part of the community the goal. How might we offer those interested a way to get help, to learn about the game, and to access some of the accumulated wealth of information locked in your minds in a structured and easy to find way? How might we point new players toward resources and experienced players in order to maximize the chance that they will become a part of our community? For example, one idea I had (not sure it is a good idea, but it is an idea) was to provide an email address for new players to send game files to an experienced player asking for constructive criticism. Thoughts?

 

I realize there are a great many efforts already in place along these lines. In no way am I minimizing their importance or effectiveness. This includes the recent request by WoWS NA here on these forums to create a new-player training regimen, among others. 

 

Thanks for reading. I know this is a longer-than normal forum post.

 

Respects,

 

Am

 

  • Cool 23

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
105
[NZS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
367 posts
8,957 battles

Remember, we all came from this originally:

Spoiler

bag-of-potatoes-potbag1.jpg

This game has a lot of little nuances and people pick it up at different rates.  If you're new, welcome to the game!  Stick to it, ignore the jaded salty sea-dogs and work your way up like we all had to in the beginning.  If you find you like the gameplay, you can't do very wrong by taking five minutes looking up your ship of choice here on google to get opinions to help inform yourself.  :cap_like:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
294
[O7]
[O7]
Beta Testers
1,252 posts
7,648 battles

My advice to new players: Let Kevik kill you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
1,460 posts
8,723 battles
On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 1:55 PM, Kevik70 said:

My advice to new players: Let Kevik kill you.

Its in the EULA, I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,942
[PVE]
Members
8,811 posts
7,241 battles
On 11/20/2017 at 9:23 PM, Quaffer said:

For those who learn best from the written word; enjoy the New Player Guides forum.

 

That is a very good resource.

 

As a co-op main who plays some PvP, I would suggest that PvP players don't completely ignore co-op. The first battle or two in a new ship in PvE will show you the differences from the previous ship. Then take it into PvP.

 

If you see some new tactic you want to learn, try it a bit in co-op to understand what you are supposed to be doing without having some unicum player delete you before you have even tried the tactic. Then take it to PvP.

 

When you first get to Tier 5, you will see ships two tiers higher for the first time. Pop back into co-op for a bit and get used to being bottom tier. When you are confident at facing a bot in a T7 boat while you are in a T5, then pop back into PvP and learn to be confident vs players. My first bottom tier T5 PvP match was scary, but after beating up on bots as bottom tier, I'm a lot more confident at being bottom tier vs players.

 

For those who will be co-op mains, don't always ignore PvP. The tactics in PvP, with the exception of camping in the back, work well in PvP. Just remember that while you can be really aggressive in PvE, you have to dial it back a bit in PvP. And there are events that are PvP only that you will want to play, so playing a bit of PvP isn't bad. Just try to ignore the toxic people as much as you can. :)

  • Cool 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
79
[FACT]
Members
523 posts
5,767 battles
On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 9:54 PM, Amracil said:

Hi there!

 

If you are a new player, allow me to welcome you to World of Warships and to point out some of what you will experience here. I will preface everything that follows by telling you that I am not a great player. I am perhaps slightly above average. But I have been around a while, have been active (albeit with few posts) on the forums, and have played a lot of games here. World of Warships recently having been added to Steam, I expect we will see an influx of new players. Maybe you are one of them. If you have been playing games online a while, you likely know that there are often issues with what can be loosely termed as "toxicity" among players, in the game and on the forums. Not everyone is rude or hyper-critical, but those that are can poison the experience with just a few lines of text. So, allow me to suggest that you do your best to ignore it when you see it, particularly if it is directed at you or your game play. In game there is a function for reporting players. Make use of that if you feel it is merited. But try not to engage in a shouting match with another player. It really never helps. The fact that you are here, reading this, suggests that you are one of the relative few interested in engaging in the community beyond simply playing the game. Please consider this forum an opportunity to learn about the complexities of the game. There is a lot of knowledge in the people that visit here regularly, and you can tap into that. But there are a few important suggestions I would like to make. Forgive me laying them out this way, but I believe these are important:

 

1. Claims that the game is broken or that a ship is terrible because you are not doing well will generally not be well received. Such posts, if I can generalize on behalf of this forum, are usually viewed with a jaundiced eye, the impression that because one person is having a hard time everything should change to better suit them difficult to be patient and understanding with. This comes from having seen such posts many, many, many times. As an alternative, a simple declaration of "I need help with X" because I do not understand it or am not doing well with it" will generally receive helpful hints and suggestions. Trolling is frowned upon. Posts designed to be incendiary or divisive will often result in your being labeled as a troll. This can make it difficult for you to receive constructive feedback on your non-troll posts. Avoid being a troll.

 

2. Understand that this is a game of surprising complexity that is covered in a veneer of arcade-game simplicity. Some players will never scratch beneath that veneer. Your being here suggests that you want to delve a little deeper into the game. You will find a lot of people here willing to help you do that. But please try to avoid falling prey to the temptation to write a "this game is bad because" post in the style mentioned in #1 (above) while you are learning about the game.

 

3. Youtube is your friend. Type "WoWS how to (insert your ship name here)" and you will likely find multiple different videos from various contributors, each with something you might find valuable.

 

4. Information is your ally. You can find a great deal of information at: The World of Warships Wiki. Take some time and get familiar with the ships you are playing. And learn about the ships you are playing against. Just got your butt handed to you by something you did not expect or see coming? Don't rage about it on the forums, learn about how it happened and how to prevent falling prey to it again.

 

5. Be Patient. This cannot be overstated. There is a lot to learn, appreciate, and enjoy in this game. Trying to learn and experience it all in a hurry is almost certain to be a frustrating and demoralizing experience. Take your time. Play lots of games in low-tier ships. Don't rush into higher-tier play until you really have a grasp on what your current tier has to teach you. There is no great reward for reaching Tier 10. Sure, the ships are better. But if you rush to get there you will not understand the fundamentals of playing at that tier, and you will be playing against players with many thousands of games under their belt and a deep understanding of how the game works to rely on. Learn all the fundamentals you can before you approach high-tier play. You are much more likely to enjoy this game long term with this approach. 

 

If you are a veteran of the game I hope you will understand what I am trying to do here and that I am asking for your help. This is especially true if you have a position of leadership (CC, Youtuber, Super-Unicum, Unicum, Clan Leader, Prolific Forum Poster, etc.) or any other relatively high-profile position or standing. Please consider that the culture in a hierarchy is generally top-down. Those in the spotlight are being watched, and likely emulated, by those that admire them or aspire to become like them. What tone and attitude toward our fellow players, new players in particular, are we demonstrating? Is it the one we want to demonstrate? For most of us the answer will be yes, wherever we fall on the spectrum between helpful and critical. But if you are considering this for the first time, remember that you can decide to present yourself however you want and that the way you present yourself can and will have an impact on others. Please know that I am not calling anyone out. I understand that there are many different personalities and that my view is not the "right" one, or any more important or valid than yours. I also understand that there are times when being blunt is quite appropriate. I am just trying to shine a light on something and sincerely hoping for your thoughts and input, our collectively finding a way to help new players that are interested in learning about the game and becoming a part of the community the goal. How might we offer those interested a way to get help, to learn about the game, and to access some of the accumulated wealth of information locked in your minds in a structured and easy to find way? How might we point new players toward resources and experienced players in order to maximize the chance that they will become a part of our community? For example, one idea I had (not sure it is a good idea, but it is an idea) was to provide an email address for new players to send game files to an experienced player asking for constructive criticism. Thoughts?

 

I realize there are a great many efforts already in place along these lines. In no way am I minimizing their importance or effectiveness. This includes the recent request by WoWS NA here on these forums to create a new-player training regimen, among others. 

 

Thanks for reading. I know this is a longer-than normal forum post.

 

Respects,

 

Am

 

Am, really appreciate your comms. I am not new to game, but I learnt fm yr post. I am an aggressive player and in the beginning  I just attacked. I doubt I will ever get equal kill/sunk ratio, but I am averaging around 2 kills to 1 sinking ratio. Yes, I hold status in my clan, but I play to enjoy the fight. I do not play for stats, but have no problem with folks that do. I am from NC, but in south africa at present (where pretty much nothing works). I cannot play PvP as a result, and WG has NO blame in this.

If more folks like you would take the time to help new players, that would be outstanding. On S. Dragon sitrep, I just figured if I bought it, get all the rqd emails then it should show w/o me going to look for it.

Again, Tx for comms.

GD_3 aka BD

Edited by Gruntdog_3
Failed to state a point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
79
[FACT]
Members
523 posts
5,767 battles

Am, on 'Toxicity' I am one of those people who cannot be insulted. Words can only hurt if YOU let them. The movie Full Metal Jacket, describes my training very well.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
223
[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
699 posts
11,657 battles
2 hours ago, Gruntdog_3 said:

Am, on 'Toxicity' I am one of those people who cannot be insulted. Words can only hurt if YOU let them. The movie Full Metal Jacket, describes my training very well.

Thanks for your feedback about my comments above, brother. Much appreciated. Here's hoping your next duty assignment (or work transfer) takes you to a place where your internet connection will allow you to participate in PvP games. And yeah... though I have been irritated a time or two at toxic players, I try to live by the advice I gave above and to just move on to the next game.

Respects,

Am

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
79
[FACT]
Members
523 posts
5,767 battles
1 minute ago, Amracil said:

Thanks for your feedback about my comments above, brother. Much appreciated. Here's hoping your next duty assignment (or work transfer) takes you to a place where your internet connection will allow you to participate in PvP games. And yeah... though I have been irritated a time or two at toxic players, I try to live by the advice I gave above and to just move on to the next game.

Respects,

Am

It is a work assignment. Am an Old Fart now. Good to have those comms with you. I would like to say 'never get irate' make me a hypocrite.

Next Time.

GD-3 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×