You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lert

Just who was the man the Bismarck was named after?

15 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Supertester
18,898 posts
12,421 battles

Turns out, he was a lot more of a big deal than I ever knew.

Well worth a watch. Certainly a worthy man and name.

• Cool 3

[NDA]
Supertester
4,769 posts
13,557 battles

Extra History is well worth the time and subscription. 

Just have to watch out for a wild Walpole showing up.  

Edited by RedSeaBear

[SCTFB]
[SCTFB]
Beta Testers
3,916 posts
14,561 battles

Bismarck has a plan 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
7,354 battles

Only the creator of the modern German state, laid that wonderful foundation for multiple world wars and the mass murder of millions. Just a minor thing, really.

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles

We learned only a summary about how he unified the Germanic states but never really went deep into his life, and I never learned a lot more about him so it was a good watch.

[-K-]
Members
5,038 posts
8,925 battles

Love the Extra History series.  The way they present things is just very engaging for me.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,898 posts
12,421 battles
13 minutes ago, Triela50 said:

Bismarck has a plan 

Bismarck always has a plan.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,898 posts
12,421 battles
11 minutes ago, TheKrimzonDemon said:

Only the creator of the modern German state, laid that wonderful foundation for multiple world wars and the mass murder of millions. Just a minor thing, really.

By that same logic, George Washington is responsible for everything Trump is doing, right?

[REVY]
Members
6,010 posts
5,102 battles

So you mean the guy leading the German Empire in Civ V was actually somebody?  Who knew?

bismarck_germany.jpg

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles
14 minutes ago, Lert said:

By that same logic, George Washington is responsible for everything Trump is doing, right?

Are you saying that Trump is laying the foundation for multiple World Wars and the mass murder of millions?

Careful

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
7,354 battles
8 minutes ago, Lert said:

Nope, Georgie didn't lay the foundation for the modern USA. That was a great many people, of which his was just one voice, and Washington didn't even want to be President.

But, in seriousness, Lert, they aren't the same thing. Bismarck was an autocrat, from a society of them, and even through the time of Hitler, that class dominated Germany entirely. While he did end the conflicts between the various German states, he did it by redirecting that conflict outside of Germany. Neither he, nor his Prussian class understood the concept, the nature of "peace without war." My concern isn't what he did, but how he did it, and he did in fact lay the foundation for all the horror that followed with the "how."

To my mind, Germany didn't become a truly modern state until it was finally led by people who didn't believe that war was a way of life, until it was led by regular, normal people. Yes, he forged the nation of Germany, more or less, as we know it today. However, he caused a lot of death in the doing, and caused even more death to happen, well after his death. I don't believe the blame lies fully at his feet, of course, the class he came from, and the nation as it developed after his departure and death also hold their share.

All that said, for his own nation, he was of course a hero during that time, and it's completely logical that Hitler, an autocratic dictator himself, would curry favor with the army by naming the ship after him, just as it's totally logical that Tirpitz would receive the other, being the father of the German Navy.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Supertester
18,898 posts
12,421 battles

You know, that is a well written reply. After your original post I thought you just a hater, troll and troublemaker but your explanation makes some good points. +1 at least for that.

• Cool 1

[WOLFX]
Beta Testers
226 posts
7,481 battles
42 minutes ago, Lert said:

Lol. From the way everyone has lost their minds since the election, I'm beginning to think it's Trumps fault that Washington owned slaves!

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,711 posts
7,354 battles
50 minutes ago, Lert said:

You know, that is a well written reply. After your original post I thought you just a hater, troll and troublemaker but your explanation makes some good points. +1 at least for that.

I'm neither a hater, nor a troll. I'm just an extremely sarcastic, blunt spoken person. However, I have an extremely logical and orderly mind, mental health issues notwithstanding. Unfortunately, I come across differently, at times, due to snark, or only leaving a portion of what I'm actually thinking, or leaving a very condensed version of what I'm thinking, and making the mistake of assuming my full reasoning is readily apparent. In this case, the statement was factual, but lacked the context that would enable one to realize my actual thought process.

Thank you.

I've studied military history and world history since I was 8, cold facts, learning from many perspectives what our world really is, gave me an escape from my life I couldn't find anywhere else. They still do, today, though the escape is for entirely different reasons.