You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Falls_USMC

USS Kidd Thoughts and Observations after 25 games (Now with 170+ Games Update)

133 comments in this topic

[TF57]
Members
1,380 posts
4,078 battles

Lets say MAA is useful one game in three. Well, if I look at my survival rate in Kidd it's at 57%, so SE might have been useful in 43% of games, and that's assuming that the situation I was in was survivable at all, or the last hit wouldn't have taken off the amount of HP that SE gives me, so lets say 40%. Ten percent increase? Sure, that's viable. But that's not 'every game useful' territory. It depends on the game. 

Allow me to plead on behalf of SE, which I feel you cruelly malign.

SE gives you 2800 more  HP every game. Or 17% more than your usual 16700. Whether you ended up needing it or not, it is there, and it's relevant, as every enemy firing will have to chew through the extra 2800 damage to finish you off.  Given the ability of the Kidd to heal back damage, it's possibly even more useful than on normal destroyers.  Obviously, not all shots will outright kill you. The SE increases that cushion and gives you more time/room to utilize all your heals, especially in the vital endgame. It's not a binary thing. You don't necessarily look at it in the context of a single game, either, but over time. 

Bear in mind if your survival increased by 17%.... I.e. I'd happily take anything that would boost my survival 17% - say from from your current 57% to 66%.  I've noticed a 1:3 correlation between win rate and survival in a DD - I'd expect win rate to also improve ~3% (which matters to some people).

Why would you cast this aside this gem for MAA which is effectively worthless in the majority of games (unless divving with a CV of course; to be dedicated air defence); if it's "vital" to pop spotter planes then may as well use defensive fire those rare times.

SE is a very underrated skill. Living 17% longer means 17% more damage dealt over time, and 17% more caps taken/defended.  That's more useful than 10% more dpm from BFT, which I doubt you would consider skipping.

Not trying to be argumentative(as you say, a Kidd can use any captain - and it's matter of preference) but really trying to sell the benefits of SE. It's not as obvious as SI or BFT, and it's certainly not a selfish skill. DDs are the best gamewinners in the endgame, and Kidd with heals is champion of that. SE just makes it even better at winning the endgame.

(Personally, I would prefer enemy Kidd captains NOT to have SE and use MAA instead)

• Cool 3

Members
2,277 posts
10,987 battles

Had my maiden Kidd voyage last night.  It was very meme worthy gunning down a Neptune at 3km.  Still miss the second torp tube.

The game is not my usual commentary.  I only had an hour last night free, so its there with div comms and Dinosaurs being fed.  Probably NSFW.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
952 posts
7,018 battles
On 6/24/2018 at 11:38 AM, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

It was very meme worthy gunning down a Neptune at 3km. 

Fun game. That Neptune moment was high comedy. 

Members
2,277 posts
10,987 battles
3 hours ago, Falls_USMC said:

Fun game. That Neptune moment was high comedy. 

Kidd and now Grozovoy have a sort of dont give a damn quality sometimes when it comes to doing stuff like that thanks to the heal.

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
952 posts
7,018 battles

Hey all, 

I know the Kidd is somewhat old news at this point, but I figured I'd update this for anyone considering picking her up, or just curious as to how she performs. 

I took a long break from the Kidd when the new USN Cruiser tree dropped, but went back to her recently, determined to play enough games to see how well she stacks up in the new radar heavy meta, and with the predominantly T10 MM spread that T8s face these days. 

The executive summary is: She stacks up extremely well, and the more I play her, the less I care about the MM. 

From game 123 to game 144 where I am currently, my WR dropped a little, as did my average damage, but my rating overall in the ship went up, and my average frags went up. Playing her as normal, you can still put out very respectable damage numbers through careful use of torps, and profligate use of your guns, stealth and AA defenses. 

My build is at the top of the OP at the moment if you're curious as to what I run, but is Prev. Maint, Last Stand, SE, BFT, Superintendent, Vigilance and Concealment and it's been working beautifully for me. Alternately if I had to respec, I'd probably drop vigilance for Adrenaline Rush and Priority target. 

144 game stats: 

kiddd.thumb.png.1185787cf05874934a2eb75104750f3e.png

Anyway, I guess that's about it. But for anyone out there that may want the Kidd, but is turned off by the MM right now, just remember these things that make the ship competitive at T9/10 and arguably overpowered when top tier: 

You have T9 guns. (Same as the Fletcher)

You have T10 levels of concealment. 

Even w/o Manual AA, You have extremely powerful AA to the point that lots of carriers just leave you alone. 

You have a heal. 

You have T10 speed. (40 knots w/flag & w/o speed boost)

I obviously have a bit of a love affair with this ship, and my 300+ games in the Fletcher certainly gave me a jumpstart on how to play her well, but don't let the MM scare you off. If you enjoy USN Gunboats, you will enjoy the Kidd. 

Happy hunting, Pirates. :Smile_izmena:

• Cool 1

[STW-D]
[STW-D]
Members
29 posts
15,290 battles

Just found this. Nice writeups. FWIW, I have three captains for my Kidd. One is a full bft/aft/MAA build from my Nicholas. Yes, it works down at t5. Next is switching to Superintendent and AR for my Fletcher captain, for the heals. Third is my Gearing cap with Torp reload, buff build, RPF and Concealment. A true dd hunter. My fave is to keep AA off till planes (even t10's) are within 4K. Blam. #NOMOPLANES 

-cheers,

-JJ

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
952 posts
7,018 battles
21 hours ago, Jimijaz said:

Just found this. Nice writeups. FWIW, I have three captains for my Kidd. One is a full bft/aft/MAA build from my Nicholas. Yes, it works down at t5. Next is switching to Superintendent and AR for my Fletcher captain, for the heals. Third is my Gearing cap with Torp reload, buff build, RPF and Concealment. A true dd hunter. My fave is to keep AA off till planes (even t10's) are within 4K. Blam. #NOMOPLANES

That's awesome. I have my primary setup from the OP and then I have a MAA Des Moines Captain I throw in there for grins sometimes. The Kidd with MAA is disgusting. 

Even my IFHE Atlanta Captain is good for a laugh sometimes to troll cruisers with your increased penetration. 

Just another reason to love the Kidd. You can build it so many different ways and remain competitive. I'm excited for the carrier rework so I can keep a dedicated AA Captain in it more often. 

Edited by Falls_USMC

Members
142 posts
8,437 battles

Semi-off topic....

Does anyone know what the story is with the image on the forward smoke stack on the Kidd?  Looks like a cartoon figure of some sort.

Thanks for the helpful info OP and all.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,609 posts
On 11/22/2017 at 7:39 PM, Falls_USMC said:

Interesting you should mention that. I come to post that since the review, I've dropped rudder shift and replaced it with acceleration. 

WOW, what a difference. With the amount of time you spend in smoke, it's a serious lifesaver. Through about 10 games with it, it's saved my skin from torps and foiled shells on multiple occasions. Highly, highly recommend. I don't even miss the rudder shift, honestly. 

:Smile_great:Very Interesting  Very:Smile_izmena::Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
952 posts
7,018 battles
On 10/26/2018 at 6:54 AM, USSLangley said:

Semi-off topic....

Does anyone know what the story is with the image on the forward smoke stack on the Kidd?  Looks like a cartoon figure of some sort.

Thanks for the helpful info OP and all.

It's a painting of the actual Captain Kidd. 

Excerpt from the Kidd Wiki page: 

"During her initial cruise to the Brooklyn Naval Shipyards, she sailed across New York Harbor with the Jolly Roger flying from the foremast. Subsequently, during outfitting, her crew adopted the pirate captain William Kidd as their mascot, and commissioned a local artist to paint a pirate figure on the forward smokestack."

• Cool 1

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,820 posts
4,101 battles

The ship is a monster plain and simple. Best premium I have bought hands down. 

Its a great ship that performs incredibly well.

image.thumb.png.129080c8f35c1457caa10f15dc28161f.png

• Cool 1

Members
1,799 posts
9,495 battles

Hey

I ave to admit that I hate the Kidd.  This is one DD that I just can seem to do anything with; I cant seem to outgun another DD, cant damage a cruiser to save my life, it just doesn't click for me and there is hardly a CV in any game that I'm in.  I would rather take any other T8 DD into battle than the Kidd.  I think I have had 2 good games in it.  Granted I don't have a high tier captain in it, maybe 13.  I just find it sluggish, slow to respond, the guns suck due to those [edited] arcs.  Hate the boat.

Pete

[SYN]
Members
485 posts
9,789 battles

I love the Kidd and at the moment she is being very good to me. Took a few months off and since I came back I have been playing a lot with the Kidd. With a 19pt Capt, SE, 4 heals and IFHE she rewards my aggressiveness and mitigates my stupidity/recklessness. I also run the rudder module and the special engine boost module, with the speed flag, lets you cruise around for 12 mins at 42.something knots and makes the ship responsive as hell. I dont run it AA configured at all anymore. If you like US DDs get it now before, like the Fujin, its gone forever because its just too OP

Some short clips from this run

Spoiler

8nJspHn.png

Edited by DeadMeat_015
  • Cool 1

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
952 posts
7,018 battles

@DeadMeat_015 Nice clips, man. Very entertaining. The heal definitely makes for some 'ah, screw it' moments. :Smile_izmena:

Just had this game this morning. Kidd at top tier is just unfair. 

1452769955_WorldofWarships12_8_20189_38_53AM.thumb.png.49160c821756aa95a65ef6215d80a452.png

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
952 posts
7,018 battles
15 hours ago, French_DD_Hype said:

I really suck in my kidd. Can anyone take a look at my stats on wows numbers and tell me what im doing wrong? Same in game name

It's tough to critique anyone based off stats, without seeing what you're doing in game. 

That being said, your stats really aren't bad. You're sniffing a Unicum rating with a 72% Win rate. Your damage is above average. What part of your game in that ship do you feel is lacking? 

Members
564 posts
3,360 battles
8 hours ago, Falls_USMC said:

It's tough to critique anyone based off stats, without seeing what you're doing in game. 

That being said, your stats really aren't bad. You're sniffing a Unicum rating with a 72% Win rate. Your damage is above average. What part of your game in that ship do you feel is lacking? 

Im not doing enough damage. 

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
952 posts
7,018 battles
16 minutes ago, French_DD_Hype said:

Im not doing enough damage. 

Honestly the Kidd really isn't a ship that lends itself to doing mass damage in every game. Considering the top 5% of players on NA average 54k. Whereas the Fletcher for example is almost 10k higher than that. 

That being said, if you wanted to spec your captain for max damage potential, just spec IFHE along with Demo Expert and BFT. Look for opportunities where ships use their repair and set perma fires, or if you have the chance, floods. BFT gives you an instant 10% increase to your DPM, and IFHE means you can pen some cruisers that previously would have shattered your shells. 

Personally, I don't really see damage as the key stat. Its more about influencing the game through spotting, cap denial and killing DDs. None of those yield high damage numbers. Some of my most successful games in the Kidd are 20-25k damage affairs against mostly DDs, but you have tremendous impact on the game and make it easier for your team to win.

Members
564 posts
3,360 battles
1 minute ago, Falls_USMC said:

Honestly the Kidd really isn't a ship that lends itself to doing mass damage in every game. Considering the top 5% of players on NA average 54k. Whereas the Fletcher for example is almost 10k higher than that. 

That being said, if you wanted to spec your captain for max damage potential, just spec IFHE along with Demo Expert and BFT. Look for opportunities where ships use their repair and set perma fires, or if you have the chance, floods. BFT gives you an instant 10% increase to your DPM, and IFHE means you can pen some cruisers that previously would have shattered your shells. 

Personally, I don't really see damage as the key stat. Its more about influencing the game through spotting, cap denial and killing DDs. None of those yield high damage numbers. Some of my most successful games in the Kidd are 20-25k damage affairs against mostly DDs, but you have tremendous impact on the game and make it easier for your team to win.

Thats how i play, but thats how you get low PR and get crapon via craptalking. If my pr is below 2k i have a panic attack this is why i dont play it even if i enjoy it 

Edited by French_DD_Hype

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
952 posts
7,018 battles
On 12/14/2018 at 6:36 PM, French_DD_Hype said:

Thats how i play, but thats how you get low PR and get crapon via craptalking. If my pr is below 2k i have a panic attack this is why i dont play it even if i enjoy it 

Well, if you're in the unfortunate situation of having your PR tied directly to how much you enjoy the game, then stick with ships you do well in, or are easy to do well in (which the Kidd is not) Or ships that everyone else sucks in, so even if you do only average your PR doesn't suffer. 

Good luck. :Smile_izmena:

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
952 posts
7,018 battles

USS Kidd is currently discounted for -15% off on the Tech Tree for Doubloons. In case anyone missed it elsewhere and were on the fence about picking her up.

Also, Merry Christmas to everyone! 

Edited by Falls_USMC

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
952 posts
7,018 battles

Figured it was about time for another update with the CV rework looming. 

The Kidd continues to be a strong performer, even in the current meta, and with the release of RN DDs. I'm about 50 games in since the American Cruiser line split, and surprisingly, my rating, damage and win rate have all improved. 

With two huge changes coming in the game (Radar changes and CV rework), I'll continue to update this as I explore the new meta and how well the Kidd stacks up. However, if thus far is any indication, I think it will do just fine. 

379170247_kidd172.thumb.png.1d49ebecf4548da26f2b4f2acf883289.png