You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Falls_USMC

USS Kidd Thoughts and Observations after 25 games (Now with 170+ Games Update)

133 comments in this topic

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
951 posts
6,905 battles
7 hours ago, RickyRockFish said:

I purchased the Kidd last night, I don't HATE it, but there is definitely going to be some getting used to it.  Also the tier that this boat plays at is higher than my other DD I used for reference,I noticed much more DD focus fire, a lot more.

Heal was nice, in more than one occasion is saved my skin.  Turning radius and speed at which it comes about was slower than I'm used to, not as easy for tight stealth maneuvers within smoke.  Acceleration seemed a bit underwhelming as well.  When your smoke timer starts to wind down and you need to high tail it out of there, I had the feeling like I wanted to get out and push.

Interesting you should mention that. I come to post that since the review, I've dropped rudder shift and replaced it with acceleration. 

WOW, what a difference. With the amount of time you spend in smoke, it's a serious lifesaver. Through about 10 games with it, it's saved my skin from torps and foiled shells on multiple occasions. Highly, highly recommend. I don't even miss the rudder shift, honestly. 

Members
18 posts
7,190 battles

i totally recommend the Kidd.

Right now I'm running about 68% win rate in her with 41,300 dmg average.

I agree that MM places me more in T10 games then anything else; however Kidd does well in T10 games if you play conservative at the beginning and more aggressively as the game moves along.  The repair is absolutely awesome.  

If they sped up the torps a little bit for an adjustment it would make it a little harder for BB's to dodge them; most BB players I've talked with after combat said they are too easy for them to dodge and does not strike any fear into them at close quarters. 

Great ship - I bought it and am having a blast.  I was playing my Khab before this (not very successfully) and losing games incredibly.  The Khab is a dmg monster but if you have a team that won't go into caps (which seems to be a lot lately) the Khab is ineffective winning games for me.

Recommend the Kidd if you have a little extra money.  It is a lot of fun and worthwhile. 

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
951 posts
6,905 battles

Small update: 

Pretty much everything from the review still holds true. I do highly recommend making the switch from rudder shift to acceleration though. It really does make all the difference when you need to bail out of smoke quickly or get back up to speed when slowing down to avoid shells, islands, etc. 

Still having an absolute blast in this ship. Haven't had much time to play the last couple days, but here's my 49 game updated stats. Pretty steady with small drops in WR and Avg damage, but that's my fault. I had two super potato games right in a row. Before, it was holding steady at around 52k which is where I expect it to stay. 

eyLVQc2.png

[WNSTN]
Members
2,707 posts
16,166 battles

I've been tempted to get the Kidd. The Fletcher has become my DD mainstay. However, I play it more like a torp boat with guns as I rarely sit in smoke for anything, so I'm thinking the Kidd would force me into a play style I don't really like.

That's been my one hang up so far.

[-BRS-]
Members
382 posts
11,470 battles

got a  Kraken with this vessel

As a plus, it is really fun to play

[TDG]
Members
1,574 posts
7,198 battles

I was back and forth on this ship for a long time, but I finally pilled the trigger.  I suspected I would like the playstyle as I have had great rounds in the Okhotnik where I used its stealth to keep the Reds spotted for the entire game (130K spotting damage).

5 rounds in and this is my highest average XP and average damage DD.  (Akatsukl has nearly the damage and XP and a much better winrate.)

I have not been disappointed and it plays as I expected.  (As usual, I am too aggressive and this limits my effectiveness, but I am working on that.)

[RAGE]
Beta Testers
223 posts
8,043 battles
On 11/18/2017 at 8:57 AM, Falls_USMC said:

Just wanted to share my thoughts on this ship in case anyone was on the fence about buying her while she's still available.

I currently have 371 games in the Fletcher and 245 games in the Gearing with both over 1400 in WTR. Just to give you some perspective on where I'm coming from in how I view the Kidd. 

Tl;DR - If you love T8 and up USN DDs, then get this ship. Just do it. She's awesome. 

All of these 25 games were played Solo, in Random Battles, and at all different times of day on the NA server. I picked 25 games because within these games were a fair mix of outcomes. I had insane super-unicum games, and I had that game where I ate a unlucky Fletcher torp 2 minutes in and and got one-shotted having done zero damage, and all types inbetween. So there's a balance there. I'm no great player, just good, so I think my results are achievable for the above average USN DD player. 

Here are my stats according to Warships Today

xtlIcqg.png

Moving on: Here's how I've had my Captain and ship set up for all 25 games, with one exception; I ran AFT instead of Manual AA for the first several games, but other than that no changes were made. 

p4CPzFt.png

This is essentially the build that Flamu runs, but with Manual AA in place of Advanced Fire Training. 

Good post, good advise. Although I would suggest replacing the superintendent with survivability expert. The increase of ship baseline HP componds the heal (from 100hp per second to 117 hp per second) and you end up more HP total (29328 vs. 27900).

I found that survivability is more important than the extra smoke charge.  Kidd remindes me of the old USN DD before stealth fire nurf, that she always fire and harrase.

• Cool 2

Supertester
193 posts
21,423 battles
7 hours ago, simuo said:

Good post, good advise. Although I would suggest replacing the superintendent with survivability expert. The increase of ship baseline HP componds the heal (from 100hp per second to 117 hp per second) and you end up more HP total (29328 vs. 27900).

I thought Little White Mouse tested that out in the training room and the heal didn't change with SE.

[RAGE]
Beta Testers
223 posts
8,043 battles
16 hours ago, BoraHorzaGobuchul said:

I thought Little White Mouse tested that out in the training room and the heal didn't change with SE.

Well, if LWM did say so, then she may be mistaken... Here is proof:

Baseline Kidd with a 19pt captain with SE, plus 20% heal increase flag

Untitled.thumb.png.b9d9c4e17e190f1454beda5781ba9e50.png

Then I send the 19pt captain to reserve and recapture the screen:

Untitled-1.thumb.png.c88d82d5d7317cbd555ea93a945f38a0.png

• Cool 2

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
951 posts
6,905 battles

Huh. No kidding. I specifically went SI instead because of that. Thank you for posting! May have to respec. 

[RAGE]
Beta Testers
223 posts
8,043 battles
On 12/1/2017 at 6:20 PM, Falls_USMC said:

Huh. No kidding. I specifically went SI instead because of that. Thank you for posting! May have to respec. 

Yes please try that. I think Kidd has a unique role of a short range knife fighter. No ship contests caps better than a Kidd. To do that purpose you need high HP baseline. The extra heal charge doesn't matter if you die before you can use that. I also made further trade-off:

Vigilance vs. Demolition Expert: I choose DE. 2% increase means big to USN DD, it's a 40% increase over the 5% baseline. Without a good fire chance Kidd has no good tool to fight a BB - you can't rely on that 5 slow sad torpedo every 2 minutes, you absolutely need fire. Yes LWM says Vigilance is important. I know it's important, but Kidd has to give up that to stay competitive.

Priority Target and Preventive Maintenance: I select these tier-1 skills because Kidd is being shot by a lot. When I play Kidd, I expose myself much more than I do in a Fletcher/Gearing - It doesn't have good torpedo so hiding doesn't yield a ninja triple torpedo shot, plus Kidd goes faster than Fletcher/Gearing so it has the tool to stay alive.

kidd.captain.thumb.png.8518df280e96386229303ea4763fe8dc.png

With that build I am tracking 67.5% WR in 37 games. Not a unicorn, but not bad either.

kidd_wr.thumb.png.130a9d4d945dbd8bc42b3ce4823fa2a9.png

Edited by simuo
  • Cool 2

[TDG]
Members
1,574 posts
7,198 battles
4 hours ago, Falls_USMC said:

I assume you are taking the 17% increase of the 3 charges as being more valuable than another charge (33% more).

Considering how often I use all the charges, I may have to make a similar change.

[RAGE]
Beta Testers
223 posts
8,043 battles
13 hours ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

I assume you are taking the 17% increase of the 3 charges as being more valuable than another charge (33% more).

Considering how often I use all the charges, I may have to make a similar change.

The math is not right. 

The 17% increase (of a charge) of the 3 charges is an increase of 51% (of a charge)

Superintendent gives you a full charge, which is a 100% charge.

The true gain is at the baseline HP. You gain 8 x 400 = 3200 HP to start with. This baseline HP will affect both the heal charge, as well as heal flag. So it end up _slightly_ more health. However that's not the point.

The point is SE gives you HP while you are battling a Gearing in 5km range and your health is quickly dissolving under heavy shell rain, those extra heal charges don't help at all. You have access to only 1 then you need to wait for the cool down. If you can't survive the battle at the first place, 4 charges or 40 charges are equally useless.

The SE gives you HP on the spot, Superintendent gives you HP in a queue.

• Cool 3

[TDG]
Members
1,574 posts
7,198 battles
8 hours ago, simuo said:

The point is SE gives you HP while you are battling a Gearing in 5km range and your health is quickly dissolving under heavy shell rain, those extra heal charges don't help at all. You have access to only 1 then you need to wait for the cool down. If you can't survive the battle at the first place, 4 charges or 40 charges are equally useless.

The SE gives you HP on the spot, Superintendent gives you HP in a queue.

Fair enough.

I thought that was your argument, and it is a good one.  I spec'd for Superintendent.  I may need to change that.

Members
1,683 posts
7,756 battles
On 12/2/2017 at 11:41 PM, YeOldeTraveller said:

Fair enough.

I thought that was your argument, and it is a good one.  I spec'd for Superintendent.  I may need to change that.

SI is nice in other ways too though. More smoke is always good, especially if you are playing more of a support role, and getting an extra repair party is good too. 

I’ve been using my Atlanta/Baltimore captain on the Kidd with the same build as Flamu. I also use my Benson/Sims captain on it, minus AFT but with SE.

basically, anything you were going to use on a 5”/38 gunboat works. 

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, WoWS Community Contributors
2,047 posts
9,340 battles
On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 11:41 AM, simuo said:

Well, if LWM did say so, then she may be mistaken... Here is proof:

She isn't.  I was incredibly upset to learn that the Port UI lies to you, but Survivability Expert does NOT improve the value of your heal.  I tested it myself. 

Edited by SeaRaptor00
  • Cool 1

[-I-]
Members
156 posts
3,747 battles

Can confirm.
Just did some testing and the port UI is wrong.
SE captain skill perk has no influence on the amount of HP you recover with Repair Party consumable.

I'd still say that SE is superior to SI for the following reasons.

1. The potential total HP difference is very minor (~300 HP) meaning you would need to get 4 full heals of to actually profit

2. This is very unlikely as you can't repair every damage.
3. The higher base health with SE lets you survive a high alpha hit (from a torpedo for example).

Edited by tmGrunty

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,088 posts
12,330 battles

+1 to owning up to making mistakes with your ship

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles

Thank you for reviewing and sharing your personal thoughts on USS Kidd, @Falls_USMC. Very informative! I'm so glad that you have enjoyed playing this ship! You sounded like you had some really fun games in her! 

[SALVO]
Members
18,922 posts
19,181 battles
On ‎12‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 6:54 AM, tmGrunty said:

Can confirm.
Just did some testing and the port UI is wrong.
SE captain skill perk has no influence on the amount of HP you recover with Repair Party consumable.

I'd still say that SE is superior to SI for the following reasons.

1. The potential total HP difference is very minor (~300 HP) meaning you would need to get 4 full heals of to actually profit

2. This is very unlikely as you can't repair every damage.
3. The higher base health with SE lets you survive a high alpha hit (from a torpedo for example).

I'd probably go with Superintendent instead.  SE only helps you with HP.  SI helps you with additional smoke and defensive fire (or speed boost, if you prefer it to DF), as well as the extra heal.

[TF57]
Members
1,380 posts
4,063 battles

How does it compare to the Simms?

Sounds very similar: fun, good cap contester/area denial, bad torpedoes, bad at carrying games.

Basically, is the Heal worth the vastly inferior MM?

Members
1,683 posts
7,756 battles
3 hours ago, evilleMonkeigh said:

How does it compare to the Simms?

Sounds very similar: fun, good cap contester/area denial, bad torpedoes, bad at carrying games.

Basically, is the Heal worth the vastly inferior MM?

I like it way better than the Sims. Both are mostly gunboats, with a side of AA, but the Kidd has more guns, better AA, and that heal is amazing for a gunfighter. 

The other really huge difference is concealment. Since Kidd get tier 8 upgrades, it’s concealment is not much worse than anything it faces. Sims doesn’t get that module, so it’s at a gigantic disadvantage versus all tier 8 and 9. 

Members
1,383 posts
2,282 battles

Nice review Falls. I didn't missed those day where shooting down 10 planes as a US DD was something big. Haha

Edited by sushimaster