You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Falls_USMC

USS Kidd Thoughts and Observations after 25 games (Now with 140+ Games Update!)

114 comments in this topic

[APOC_]
Members
908 posts
6,061 battles

EDIT: 9/18/18 - Up to 144 games now. Current stats: 

kiddd.thumb.png.4db84f614105c4df652ca6f2d48a5a87.png

EDIT: 7/5/18 - Up to 123 games now. Current stats: 

5b3eab8f55ad5_kidd123.thumb.png.7bd9f96043e01df07c621880d586f3b8.png

So, pretty much everything to follow still stands, but I've switched up my build pretty significantly, so I wanted to outline that here. 5b3eaabde3268_kiddbuild.thumb.png.30c41c77f50c5f77cee7f4a4ed4ada31.png

I took advantage of the discounted respec a couple weeks ago to change things up. Modules, consumables and flags remain the same. I think it's probably the best of both worlds where you maintain a 6km AA range, you still have defensive AA, but you have far more survivability with SE and Vigilance, and maintain DPS with BFT. I've been very much enjoying this build, though the current radar meta has made getting good consistent damage numbers a bit more difficult. But the Kidd is still extremely fun and a very dangerous adversary when played correctly. 

Thanks for reading and post any questions you have and I'm happy to answer! 

Good hunting, Pirates. :Smile_izmena:

Just wanted to share my thoughts on this ship in case anyone was on the fence about buying her while she's still available.

I currently have 371 games in the Fletcher and 245 games in the Gearing with both over 1400 in WTR. Just to give you some perspective on where I'm coming from in how I view the Kidd. 

Tl;DR - If you love T8 and up USN DDs, then get this ship. Just do it. She's awesome. 

All of these 25 games were played Solo, in Random Battles, and at all different times of day on the NA server. I picked 25 games because within these games were a fair mix of outcomes. I had insane super-unicum games, and I had that game where I ate a unlucky Fletcher torp 2 minutes in and and got one-shotted having done zero damage, and all types inbetween. So there's a balance there. I'm no great player, just good, so I think my results are achievable for the above average USN DD player. 

Here are my stats according to Warships Today

xtlIcqg.png

Moving on: Here's how I've had my Captain and ship set up for all 25 games, with one exception; I ran AFT instead of Manual AA for the first several games, but other than that no changes were made. 

p4CPzFt.png

This is essentially the build that Flamu runs, but with Manual AA in place of Advanced Fire Training. 

Ship modules. Probably no surprises here. 

8QimwLf.png

You could swap rudder shift for acceleration. I go back and forth on it. The Kidd seems to accelerate pretty slowly and I've wished for it on more than one occasion. EDIT (11-22-17): I've since swapped rudder for acceleration and there is a massive difference. I highly recommend making the switch if you currently have rudder shift currently. 

Flags. 

DhW2TVP.png

Unless you're trying to grind credits or XP/Captain XP, you really don't need much help on the economic side of things. Even in so-so games you clear 100k credits. Many, many more in good games.

I don't want to rehash what LWM, Flamu, Notser and everyone else has done. If you want pros and cons, just head over to the wiki for the ship and its all right there. These are just my thoughts. 

- First off, this ship is just fun. If you enjoy the Fletcher, you'll feel instantly comfortable and right at home. 

- The big knock against the Kidd is the torps, and yeah they're not great and I'm still learning how to use them. The best advice I can give someone just picking up the Kidd is treat them defensively. You're gonna spend a lot of time in smoke and everyone knows you only have 5 fish for defense. Save them for when you really need them, and can guarantee successful strikes. 

There has been at least 5 times where my torps were on cooldown, because I had fired them on a traditional type of target, only to need them a minute later because a BB was YOLOing into my smoke. On each and every one of these occasions, the torps would have 100% made the difference between me living and dying, as well as getting a kill and helping my team win. I

-It's a tough habit to break. But save the damn torps. You'll be glad you did. 

-Now, for the Heal. The heal on this ship is a game-changer. It will absolutely ruin you on other DDs because of the staying power that it gives you. We all know that DDs become more dangerous the longer you get into games and the Kidd is no exception. It allows you to survive late into games and make a huge difference. 

Out of 25 games, I've survived 15 of them. And at least 5 of those where I died were 100% my fault for misplaying the ship and being far too aggressive. In each and every game the heal absolutely changes the landscape of your performance. It allows you to swap damage with DDs, heal, and come right back into the fight to finish them off. It's such an advantage that playing without it on other DDs just sucks. Like I said, the Kidd is ruining me. 

-Now obviously the heal can't save you from everything. If you take a torp, or the ridiculous BB AP salvos that plague DDs right now, yeah you're screwed. You can heal back some, but massive alpha strikes still ruin your day, just not quite as bad. You should still have a robust fear of RN Cruiser AP, and any ship with a radar. 

-The AA is awesome when you get to use it. Most games its useful for just blapping scout planes, which it does pretty much instantly as soon as you pop Def AA. Very nice. As for CVs, it works as advertised. I've yet to face a Midway, but I've gone up against I think every other CV from T7 up and it works extremely well. MAA + BFT + Def AA is just disgusting. You can wipe multiple squadrons before they can drop on you. I've seen several CV players just avoid me completely,  which in a DD is saying something. But hey, if you watch three of your strike groups evaporate while flying over a smoke cloud, I'd probably avoid it too. 

Alright now for the stuff that kinda sucks.

-You have very little ability to hard carry games, unless it becomes a race to cap, or if the remaining enemies are DDs not named Khab, Gearing, Udaloi and Grozovoi. 

That's really been the tough part of the ship for me. You rely on your guns to do damage, and if you don't have anyone to spot for you, it becomes very frustrating trying to stop those stubborn BB pushes, and god help you if they have radar Cruisers in support. When you have support, this ship shines. You can harass with your guns, drop awesome US smoke, and you have your torps in case someone feels froggy. 

-The guns are still what they are. They have rainbow arcs and very little fire chance. If you're not good at USN DD gunnery, you will struggle mightily to do high amounts of damage in this ship. Even I have games where it seems like my shells are allergic to steel and go everywhere except where I want them to. 

-This ship almost requires a dedicated Captain. I mean, sure I can use this build in my Fletcher, but it's not ideal. Ideally you'd want things like Survivability Expert and Torpedo Reload instead. It's not a bad thing really, but to bring out the best of what this ship has to offer, you may need to divert slightly from the optimum build in your other USN DDs. But if you do run those Captains in the Kidd, she's still very, very good and a great trainer. 

In Summary: 

No regrets buying this ship at all. She's a ton of fun and if you die in her, its probably all your fault for playing the way I do and being way too aggressive and being overwhelmed by torps, radar, and YOLO rushing BBs. 

It's T8 so the Matchmaker you get is not great. I didn't keep track, but I'm willing to bet at least half my games were multiple T10 ships. I can remember clearly 3 games where I was top tier. 

And on that note, it bears mentioning. If you get top tier? Good grief this ship is ridiculous. Seeing a spread on the other side of Farraguts, Mahans, Fubukis makes my hands tingle. Go hunting and enjoy your rewards. 

It's a solid moneymaker. Not Missouri good, obviously, but I'd say on average I clear 200k per game running all premium consumables, and no credit flags. 

Thanks for reading! If you have any specific questions, just post them and I'll answer! 

kidd 100.png

Edited by Falls_USMC
Update
  • Cool 21

[-K-]
Members
5,061 posts
8,934 battles

Great write up. +1

But out of curiosity, why not take AFT over Manual AA?  You still get huge AA benefits, while also helping out your main guns.  You get useable perks in games without CV's, whereas Manual AA is almost a wasted skill (other than the rare scout plane) in matches without carriers.

• Cool 1

[APOC_]
Members
908 posts
6,061 battles
6 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Great write up. +1

But out of curiosity, why not take AFT over Manual AA?  You still get huge AA benefits, while also helping out your main guns.  You get useable perks in games without CV's, whereas Manual AA is almost a wasted skill (other than the rare scout plane) in matches without carriers.

It's a fair question. My reasoning is that at 14km, your guns are not easy to use, and your hit ratio is awful, plus with the new firing mechanics, it increases your detection radius from 12 to 14+ km and I try to stay as stealthy as possible. The second, is that I like the burst damage that MAA gives you when used in conjunction with Def AA. But the biggest reason, is that it gives your AA a MUCH needed boost when your Defensive fire is on cooldown. The difference between 71 and 142 DPS is massive, and can at least take a heavier toll on planes if they linger. Or exact a price from the savvy CV captain that waits out your DF and then comes in to strike. 

Both are extremely viable options. I do miss the 7.2km range. 

Edited by Falls_USMC
  • Cool 2

[-K-]
Members
5,061 posts
8,934 battles
1 minute ago, Falls_USMC said:

It's a fair question. My reasoning is that at 14km, your guns are not easy to use, and your hit ratio is awful, plus with the new firing mechanics, it increases your detection radius from 12 to 14+ km and I try to stay as stealthy as possible. The second, is that I like the burst damage that MAA gives you when used in conjunction with Def AA. But the biggest reason, is that it gives your AA a MUCH needed boost when your Defensive fire is on cooldown. The difference between 71 and 142 DPS is massive, and can at least take a heavier toll on planes if they linger. Or exact a price from the savvy CV captain that waits out your DF and then comes in to strike. 

Both are extremely viable options. 

Personally, I'd only take Manual AA if I was continuously divisioning with a carrier.  But for solo randoms, I'd take AFT.

To each their own, I suppose.

• Cool 1

Members
6,626 posts
25,277 battles

Good write up. Have not played it much yet and the few I did, I died early trying to cap.

I am a decent player in  Lo Yang (14 pts), Fletcher (19 pts) and Gearing (19 pts). I like Sims and Akizuki style so I know I will like Kidd. Sadly, have not been able to enjoy it much yet.

I do have Flamu's build (AFT) and am working on the last few points to get BFT. Will have 19 pts soon anyway.

I am considering a respec when I jump the last 2 points to 19. AS the captain is currently trained for Clemson, I went AFT but your point on manual AA is valid. This weekend, after the 19 pts it will become permanently assigned to Kidd and a new lower captain will sit in Clemson.

Thanks for posting.

[Update]: made him 19 points captain and switched to AFT to manual AA. Played once since (no CV). A win, wrecked 2 Kageros, a Fuso and an NC. 2 kills. 43k damage. Not super great damage but way above my average to this point. Avoided early caps as indicated. Much better. Thanks.

Edited by alexf24
  • Cool 1

[APOC_]
Members
908 posts
6,061 battles
9 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Good write up .; Have not played it much yet and the few I did, I died early trying to cap.

I am a decent player in  Lo Yang, Fletcher and Gearing. I like my Sims and Akizuki style so I know I will like Kidd. Sadly, have not been able to enjoy it much yet.

I do have Flamu's build (AFT) and am working on the last few points to get BFT. Will have 19 pts soon anyway.

Thanks for posting.

Yeah the early game is critical in the Kidd to not take that torp in the cap. Found that out the hard way. I find that skirting caps and scoping out the situation first is very beneficial, and if you don't have any support, it's best to disengage and wait for support, or head elsewhere. Unless you're in those rare games where any DD you might come up against is one you have a significant advantage over, and there are no radar ships to light you up. In those instances, bully your way in and do your thing. 

• Cool 1

[GRFOX]
Members
2,205 posts
4,521 battles

The review for this ship was always simple remove half of fletchers torps give it a heal and move it to tier 8. Buy it before it is banned. This ship is high on the list on possible future removal.

• Cool 1

[APOC_]
Members
908 posts
6,061 battles

Thanks for the feedback and upboats, everyone. Much appreciated. 

Thinking about it, something I didn't mention in the review is that if you wanted to configure this ship 'selfishly' it would probably be a monster in Randoms. Take for example instead of MAA/AFT and AR, you put on Vigilance and Survivability expert and you're a cap contesting monster. 

Put on DE and AFT, run both fire flags, and you're up to 8% fire chance with your insane rate of fire. Or keep it all the same and swap MAA for IFHE and get way more consistent pens into BBs and Cruisers to buff your damage numbers. 

Point is, you can configure Kidd however you want and it will do well. A mark of a strong ship. 

• Cool 2

[FOXEH]
Members
3,321 posts
11,836 battles
3 hours ago, Falls_USMC said:

Thanks for the feedback and upboats, everyone. Much appreciated. 

Thinking about it, something I didn't mention in the review is that if you wanted to configure this ship 'selfishly' it would probably be a monster in Randoms. Take for example instead of MAA/AFT and AR, you put on Vigilance and Survivability expert and you're a cap contesting monster. 

Put on DE and AFT, run both fire flags, and you're up to 8% fire chance with your insane rate of fire. Or keep it all the same and swap MAA for IFHE and get way more consistent pens into BBs and Cruisers to buff your damage numbers. 

Point is, you can configure Kidd however you want and it will do well. A mark of a strong ship. 

Great write-up and much appreciated coming from a 'line grunt' - a real player - as opposed to a CC. I am so sitting on the fence over this ship. With both my Fletcher and Gearing I rely mainly on stealth and torps. That doesn't mean I am timid contesting caps or just handling red DD's in general. I play Lo Yang much more aggressively but I have added the enhanced smoke and hydro on her. With her I win caps. For captain training I have the 'Little Monster' known as Sims.

In your opinion, how would your Kidd captain work out on Gearing? Gearing has a competent AA suite of her own and I have been toying with the idea of reworking my Gearing captain for Kidd's strengths, should I decide to purchase her. Your insight is appreciated.

BTW, I am very personally familiar with your DD skills having played both with you and against you in past battles. :Smile_medal:

Semper Fi, brother... 

• Cool 2

[APOC_]
Members
908 posts
6,061 battles
1 hour ago, Khafni said:

Great write-up and much appreciated coming from a 'line grunt' - a real player - as opposed to a CC. I am so sitting on the fence over this ship. With both my Fletcher and Gearing I rely mainly on stealth and torps. That doesn't mean I am timid contesting caps or just handling red DD's in general. I play Lo Yang much more aggressively but I have added the enhanced smoke and hydro on her. With her I win caps. For captain training I have the 'Little Monster' known as Sims.

In your opinion, how would your Kidd captain work out on Gearing? Gearing has a competent AA suite of her own and I have been toying with the idea of reworking my Gearing captain for Kidd's strengths, should I decide to purchase her. Your insight is appreciated.

BTW, I am very personally familiar with your DD skills having played both with you and against you in past battles. :Smile_medal:

Semper Fi, brother... 

Semper Fi! I'm flattered that you remember me at all. I'm horrible at recognizing anyone who isn't in my clan. Thank you! 

I think the Gearing/Kidd crossover could work, but understand that you're gonna make a sacrifice one way or the other. The Gearing's glacial torp reload really benefits from torp reload booster, and her thicc butt cries out for Survivability. That being said, if you ran the Gearing as a pure gun/AA build then I think it could work out pretty nicely since BFT benefits both ships greatly. But playing with the Skills Calculator, I can't come up with a build that's truly optimized for both. You're gonna have a somewhat sub-optimal setup for either ship. 

uX62Ts6.png

This is my current Gearing setup. It would work ok for the Kidd, but man, that ship just cries out for AFT or MAA, requiring you to give up something else. 

The Kidd really does benefit from having its own Commander. 

Edit: But the Gearing, much like the Kidd and Fletcher, is a very versatile ship. It really comes down to playstyle. If you want to neglect your torps and spec into BFT and Vigilance say, then it would be awesome. But that's for a very aggressive cap contesting play style, which is tough to do if MM decides you need to face tons of ships with radar and German DDs with hydro. Not to mention the PA DDs coming soon with radar. 

Edit 2: I realized I didn't even answer your question. I'll refer back to the my tl; DR. If you like USN DDs, just get it. You'll love it. Figure out the Captains skills as you go. Drop your Gearing captain into her and go nuts. It's a strong ship regardless, but you'll just suffer a bit under CV umbrellas than you would with a build with AA in mind. If you have the Sims and like it, then you'll like this ship, period. It caters very much to the same play style, only you trade your sick maneuverability and 8 torps for a heal, WAYYYYY better AA, better guns, and better concealment. Just with 5 torps on 2 minute reload. 

Edited by Falls_USMC

[R-R-R]
Members
969 posts
6,410 battles

I am a big fan of both Fletcher and Gearing however I am on the fence of whether to spend 40+ dollars on Kidd.

Basically, the question I ask myself is that 'do I want to take out this ship compared to Gearing and Fletcher in my everyday random battle?'

The ship is definitely strong in competitive setting or if you division with a carrier. However, for random battle solo queue experience, I highly doubt I would enjoy her more than my Fletcher and Gearing.

[CUTER]
Members
672 posts
18,508 battles

My only point on the Kidd, if you are looking for a stealth torp boat, this is not it.

[APOC_]
Members
908 posts
6,061 battles
3 hours ago, Exciton8964 said:

I am a big fan of both Fletcher and Gearing however I am on the fence of whether to spend 40+ dollars on Kidd.

Basically, the question I ask myself is that 'do I want to take out this ship compared to Gearing and Fletcher in my everyday random battle?'

The ship is definitely strong in competitive setting or if you division with a carrier. However, for random battle solo queue experience, I highly doubt I would enjoy her more than my Fletcher and Gearing.

You know yourself and what you enjoy better than I do, obviously. But you might surprise yourself at how much you enjoy the Kidd. The heal really is the difference maker. Without it, it would be pretty lackluster. 

I've done nothing but Randoms with mine and It's a blast. You're in a DD than can stay in the fight longer and has no fear of aircraft. It feels pretty good. Not gonna lie. 

[DRACS]
Members
3,349 posts

I LOVE this ship so far. Only played 4 games in her, but she's already very obviously incredible, even borderline OP. Not a big damage dealer because of the small number of torps, but an absolute cap bully and meant to be played very aggressively because of that heal.

I cannot stress how good of a ship she is because of Repair Party. I fear no one. Even if they hit me hard and drop me to a sliver of health, I know I'll be back at half health within a few minutes. And for a tier 8 DD, she has a generous amount of health, and even more so with SE. I think only the Khab and Tashkent might give me pause, and even there, I have total concealment advantage and can just spot it and ask my team to focus it down (if they can ... those things are stupid hard to hit at range).

And the AA is pretty god tier for a DD. I only have the range upgrade. I don't have BFT or AFT or MAA (using my 17 point Gearing captain on her), and I still find myself shooting down 10+ planes every time I get matched up against a carrier.

Kidd is just that good.

• Cool 1

[DRACS]
Members
3,349 posts
16 hours ago, Exciton8964 said:

It's simple.

If you like to torpedo boat, don't get Kidd.

If you like to cap and gunboat, especially against other DDs, get the Kidd.

[R-R-R]
Members
969 posts
6,410 battles
4 minutes ago, KaptainKaybe said:

It's simple.

If you like to torpedo boat, don't get Kidd.

If you like to cap and gunboat, especially against other DDs, get the Kidd.

But you know that high tier USN DDs I love about is their JoAT nature. When I checked my stats on Fletcher and Gearing, I have almost equal number of ships sunk by guns or torpedoes.

I think I will like Kidd but not sure will like her more than Fletcher and Gearing. In the end, I need to like her enough to play a lot of games to justify the dollars spent.

The other thing is that I do plan to buy a Loyang when she becomes available, not sure if I need another T8 USN premium DD.

Edited by Exciton8964

[PWH]
Members
242 posts

If your DD style is to push/contest cap early and be gunboat later in the game the Kidd is for you.  Torp DD boat, no.  As the game adjusts, the Kidd will become less effective, but it's a good DD if it fits your style.

[DRACS]
Members
3,349 posts

Kidd's advantage is that her survivability will mean she will more often than not last till the end game where DDs become especially important. It's a well known fact that teams win or lose by DD advantage, hence why it's imperative that teams support their DDs and don't leave them to die. 

• Cool 1

[RUST]
Beta Testers
514 posts
4,670 battles

A whole 6 games into the Kidd but so far I find it a lot of fun.  I love the hybrid style of the tier9 Fletcher but always felt i relied on torpedoes too much while barely touching my guns, so I'm hoping the Kidd forces me to learn how to be more useful with them, and especially help me to learn to get more aggressive contesting caps.  For this reason her repair party is a godsend and I find I miss it so much when I go back to other destroyers.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, WoWS Community Contributors
1,948 posts
8,803 battles

Good write-up, @Falls_USMC.  I love my Kidd; I threw my WSL-configured Benson captain into her (BFT, MFAA, AA Mod 2) and have been enjoying her immensely.  She devours planes and is a superb spotter/cap contester.

• Cool 2

Members
8 posts
365 battles

I love that DDs have some of the biggest burst damage in the game...  I Feel that the Kidd waters that down a little bit.  Not for my play style.  Enjoyed your review though great write up.

• Cool 1

Members
8 posts
365 battles

I purchased the Kidd last night, I don't HATE it, but there is definitely going to be some getting used to it.  Also the tier that this boat plays at is higher than my other DD I used for reference,I noticed much more DD focus fire, a lot more.

Heal was nice, in more than one occasion is saved my skin.  Turning radius and speed at which it comes about was slower than I'm used to, not as easy for tight stealth maneuvers within smoke.  Acceleration seemed a bit underwhelming as well.  When your smoke timer starts to wind down and you need to high tail it out of there, I had the feeling like I wanted to get out and push.

[REVY]
Members
936 posts
7,288 battles

She's a good boat. You have to pick and choose where and how to use her.

still looking for my first win in her

a.jpg