Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

Turned pink! Need clarification.

33 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

933
Members
4,441 posts
6,138 battles

Played a bit last night.  Me and another guy collided in the heat of battle while being fired at.  He came up behind me and then was running only bout a few yards beside me. We collided. Am really not sure who was to blame.  The collision did not kill him. He was damaged but not dead. I was damaged.  He proceeded to F-bomb the hell out of me for like 2 min. O well,,,,Friday night and you get this in chat more frequently on weekend nights. This was the last match I played.  Only played 3 cause it was kinda nuts out there.  Anyway I look this morning and I am pink.  The only time I have been pink is when I have accidentally killed someone.  It can happen. I do not and never have deliberately TKed anyone ever.  I thought you had to kill a team mate to turn pink.  Am I wrong?  Clarify pls.  Tks. Not a huge deal being pink but just need input on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,135 posts

Whenever I've turned pink, its because I hit someone with a torp.  Just hop down to T1 coop and you can play 5 games in about 30 minutes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,708
[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

You might have accidentally shot him when you collided. You did say you were being shot at.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
933
Members
4,441 posts
6,138 battles
17 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

You might have accidentally shot him when you collided. You did say you were being shot at.

Hmmmm....may have been but I did not see him die due to anything I did. It's kinda murky.  Maybe I am to blame. Could be.  WOW did he ever F-bomb me and rant.  More than anyone in 4 years playing WG ever has. Lotta impaired players on a Friday night. I think he was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
933
Members
4,441 posts
6,138 battles
22 minutes ago, Wowzery said:

Whenever I've turned pink, its because I hit someone with a torp.  Just hop down to T1 coop and you can play 5 games in about 30 minutes.

I can do this fast in tier 2. You know in maybe half the matches I play these days someone is pink.  I only play tier 6 and lower. Some of these guys in the lower tiers just torp like madmen. Ya gotta watch out for friendly torps almost as much as red torps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
663
[USCC2]
Members
3,426 posts

.....or maybe you had that 'moment' I see often where neither player wants to alter their course and separate - causing continuous damage over a period of time.

 

I've seen a German BB try to hump the enemy to death and get hit by his own team causing a fire - it didn't kill him but because it kept ticking, it kept registering damage and after around 8 ticks the friendly who started the fire went pink (or got the warning in txt box). Maybe the time you were colliding plus the possible shooting damage was enough?

Edited by _WaveRider_

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
933
Members
4,441 posts
6,138 battles
1 minute ago, _WaveRider_ said:

.....or maybe you had that 'moment' I see often where neither player wants to separate and cause damage over a period of time.

 

I've seen a German BB try to hump the enemy to death and get hit by his own team causing a fire - it didn't kill him but because it kept ticking, it kept registering damage and after around 8 ticks the friendly who started the fire went pink (or got the warning in txt box). Maybe the time you were colliding plus the possible shooting damage was enough?

Makes sense.  Tks for info.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,799
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,420 battles
39 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Played a bit last night.  Me and another guy collided in the heat of battle while being fired at.  He came up behind me and then was running only bout a few yards beside me. We collided. Am really not sure who was to blame.  The collision did not kill him. He was damaged but not dead. I was damaged.  He proceeded to F-bomb the hell out of me for like 2 min. O well,,,,Friday night and you get this in chat more frequently on weekend nights. This was the last match I played.  Only played 3 cause it was kinda nuts out there.  Anyway I look this morning and I am pink.  The only time I have been pink is when I have accidentally killed someone.  It can happen. I do not and never have deliberately TKed anyone ever.  I thought you had to kill a team mate to turn pink.  Am I wrong?  Clarify pls.  Tks. Not a huge deal being pink but just need input on this.

I jest. But.

 

"Stop shooting the green ships ***hole!!!!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,708
[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
12 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Hmmmm....may have been but I did not see him die due to anything I did. It's kinda murky.  Maybe I am to blame. Could be.  WOW did he ever F-bomb me and rant.  More than anyone in 4 years playing WG ever has. Lotta impaired players on a Friday night. I think he was.

The teammate doesn't have to die, just a bunch of damage will do it. I have gotten lucky that the torpedo spread I point blank put into an ally accidentally didn't kill him or cause me to go pink. :Smile_hiding:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,193
[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,328 posts
9,390 battles

The harshest thing I've ever said to someone who team-kills me is...

"You owe me a beer."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
241
[OPEC]
Members
925 posts
5,108 battles

Maybe if you ram someone for minor damage AND make them very upset in chat, it now triggers the TK penalty?  :Smile-angry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,135 posts
41 minutes ago, dmckay said:

I can do this fast in tier 2. You know in maybe half the matches I play these days someone is pink.  I only play tier 6 and lower. Some of these guys in the lower tiers just torp like madmen. Ya gotta watch out for friendly torps almost as much as red torps.

And that is why I do T1 to get rid of pink, no torps.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
584
[PVE]
Members
1,594 posts
6,702 battles
1 hour ago, Doomlock said:

You might have accidentally shot him when you collided. You did say you were being shot at.

Its possible, but I out of the two times I have been pink, I could swear all I did was collide and cause damage and had not fired a shot....and leading up to turning pink it was all basically because of collision damage, a couple of errant shots here and there, no torping of others, mostly getting purposely rammed by others, yet you still get penalized for it, without replays to go back and look at, I could be wrong though.

Beginning to wonder if this turning 'Pink' thing might be a tad bit flawed and be in need of a re-work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
306
[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
918 posts
6,285 battles

I dunno if it's the Steam debut or the holidays or what, but there seemed to be a large amount of stupid going on last night. Had one match with three pink DDs on the team, and as soon as the shooting started I understood why they were pink. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,082
[WOLF3]
Members
5,942 posts
2,203 battles

AIUI, you can get pinked due to cumulative damage. i.e. non-killing damage over a period.

How's your record?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,082
[WOLF3]
Members
5,942 posts
2,203 battles
6 minutes ago, Gen_Saris said:

I dunno if it's the Steam debut or the holidays or what, but there seemed to be a large amount of stupid going on last night.

 

To the contrary, I had some good matches in an up-tiered DD on the PT server last night.  (Well, except for the one where I was insta-deleted a klick N of my base.)  Maybe the less impaired players were fleeing the madness...

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
423
[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,213 battles

Pink only twice, dmckay? Quit whining. You had to have somehow done enough damage to that goof to have been penalized pink. Big deal. Get over it. Pink goes away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,708
[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
39 minutes ago, Judge_Doom said:

Its possible, but I out of the two times I have been pink, I could swear all I did was collide and cause damage and had not fired a shot....and leading up to turning pink it was all basically because of collision damage, a couple of errant shots here and there, no torping of others, mostly getting purposely rammed by others, yet you still get penalized for it, without replays to go back and look at, I could be wrong though.

Beginning to wonder if this turning 'Pink' thing might be a tad bit flawed and be in need of a re-work.

It does take account damage across multiple games. So if a lot of damage happens frequently enough, it will get you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,865
[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,771 posts
12,878 battles
3 hours ago, dmckay said:

 I thought you had to kill a team mate to turn pink.  

Damage over time will do it.  Also, try to remember if you fired your weapons when you were stuck together there is a good chance you hit him.  It's hard NOT to hit someone who is rubbing paint when weapons are fired.  Sometimes it's just one shell while all the others fly to target.  So it's easy to not see the hit.

 

Note that if you examine the end screen stats, it will show friendly damage and you can see if the damage is only from ramming or if it's from a shell hit.

 

2 hours ago, _WaveRider_ said:

.....or maybe you had that 'moment' I see often where neither player wants to alter their course and separate - causing continuous damage over a period of time.

 

There are some angles and velocities where BBs can hit (especially two BBs) that no matter what either player does, they can be stuck together for a LONG time.  Double so when it's not quite clear which way to turn in order to unlock ships.  Sometimes both players are trying to unlock but their efforts are actually keeping them together.  They both realize this at the same time, reverse their efforts and are...again...mutually re-enforcing the collision.  This can be a very frustrating situation and both players just need to understand this happens from time to time.    

 

This can also happen with BBs and other ships, but the situation (window of relative velocity vectors) where the mutual lock occurs is much smaller than with two BBs.

 

If you don't captain BBs, take this as a PSA.  BBs are slow lumbering beasts...even the fast ones are slow in the collision sense. It isn't always easy to unlock from a collision.  There can be an appearance the BB captain isn't doing anything, but he might be doing everything he can...it's just the mass and momentum is too much .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,082
[WOLF3]
Members
5,942 posts
2,203 battles

A couple days ago I was in a BB and was T-boned by a cruiser, who then put a volley into me.  The damage report said that I was responsible for 8K damage (!) but did not break out the cause.  Could it have been reflection?  [I was not pinked.]

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41
[SYN]
Members
245 posts
9,601 battles
3 hours ago, dmckay said:

Played a bit last night.  Me and another guy collided in the heat of battle while being fired at.  He came up behind me and then was running only bout a few yards beside me. We collided. Am really not sure who was to blame.  The collision did not kill him. He was damaged but not dead. I was damaged.  He proceeded to F-bomb the hell out of me for like 2 min. O well,,,,Friday night and you get this in chat more frequently on weekend nights. This was the last match I played.  Only played 3 cause it was kinda nuts out there.  Anyway I look this morning and I am pink.  The only time I have been pink is when I have accidentally killed someone.  It can happen. I do not and never have deliberately TKed anyone ever.  I thought you had to kill a team mate to turn pink.  Am I wrong?  Clarify pls.  Tks. Not a huge deal being pink but just need input on this.

Accumulative Damage Over Time  - I had a guy run into me just as I fired a salvo of HE - he caught fire and let it burn, he didn't die but was a certain % of his health....I got 9 game pinked  -  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
933
Members
4,441 posts
6,138 battles
1 hour ago, aethervox said:

Pink only twice, dmckay? Quit whining. You had to have somehow done enough damage to that goof to have been penalized pink. Big deal. Get over it. Pink goes away.

I am not whining over being pink I am asking just exactly how that works. This going pink last night had me confused.  WAIT!  I AM whining over being pink.  Don't wanna be pink. I going to co-op right now and work the pink off. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×