You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
KnightDragon

Colorado

26 comments in this topic

[INTEL]
Members
6,632 posts
25,386 battles

Colorado needs to be upgraded, then it is a fine BB with awesomeguns.  Only two major problems remain, anemic speed, and low HP pool.

[SALVO]
Members
16,730 posts
17,314 battles
27 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

Colorado needs to be upgraded, then it is a fine BB with awesomeguns.  Only two major problems remain, anemic speed, and low HP pool.

From what I've read over the couple of years that WoWS has been live, the HP pool seems a-historically low compared to other same tier BBs that have similar displacements.  As for the speed, well, that is historical and honestly, I'd prefer it remained so.  That said, I don't know if all other historical BBs have remained true to their historical speeds.  And if not, then perhaps it could be justifiable to give it a little speed buff.

One thing I will say though is this.  I've said time and again that I prefer to see ships tiered in such a way that they are facing their contemporaneous counterparts.  But others counter by saying that ships of similar capabilities are tiered together.  Well, let me say this.  A BIG reason why the Colorado's speed seems so poor at tier 7 compared to a number of other tier 7 BBs is that you have some tier 7 BB's that are NOT the CO's contemporaneous counterparts.  Two examples, the Scharnhorst/Gneisenau (which I'll call a single ship for this example ... same ship class though different guns for the game's purposes) and the King George V.  Those are ships that were built in the mid-1930's when much more modern and capable boiler and engine technology was used to power battleships.  In short, the Colorado was essentially a WW1 era USN "Standard" battleship while Scharnhorst, Gneisenau, and KGV's were "fast battleships" of the immediate pre-WW2 era.  WG may think that tiering them together is the right thing to do, but the reality is that they do not really have such similar capabilities. 

On the flip side, the Nelson, also a tier 7 BB does happen to be a contemporaneous counterpart of the Colorado and has a somewhat similar speed to her.  (Side note on the Nelson, in game her speed is 24 kts, but I've seen her historical speed listed as 23 kts.)  On another side note, while the Hood is a contemporaneous counterpart to the Colorado, it's a LOT faster.  However, the Hood was designed and built as a battlecruiser, rather than a battleship.  

I think that one could make an argument (however weak) that the US Navy "should have" upgraded the Colorado's engines and power plant during the 1930's, and that these upgrades would have increased the Colorado's speed by 3-4 kts, and use this as the argument to justify the change in-game.  (A number of proposed refits were rejected due to a lack of funds due to the Great Depression, plus apparently it was also decided that any money was better spent on new BBs rather than on upgrading old ones.)

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,343 posts
9,433 battles

Black Friday is coming up.  See if you can get a discount on Doubloons - so you can convert and free-XP past this Paywall.

Then get a North Carolina and do your happy dance.

My typical mission was:

Mission start..  Everybody leaves..  Enemy planes or DDs show up...  I sink.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,496 posts
10,219 battles
7 hours ago, alexf24 said:

100% agree. Fully upgraded it is a lot better. Really it's weaknesses are the slow speed (should be used to by now in USN BB though), slightly squishy armor, and that ridiculously low health pool for a T7 BB.

With that said I actually love the Colorado. Hands down my favorite T7 standard tech tree BB. Only like Hood at T7 better for a BB. The guns on Colorado are excellent. Only 8 but very accurate and hit hard. It also has amazing AA for a T7 when spec'd for it. 

Of all it's shortcomings the biggest is that anemic HP. Just not right. A 5K buff would do wonders for the ship.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,496 posts
10,219 battles
6 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

Black Friday is coming up.  See if you can get a discount on Doubloons - so you can convert and free-XP past this Paywall.

Then get a North Carolina and do your happy dance.

My typical mission was:

Mission start..  Everybody leaves..  Enemy planes or DDs show up...  I sink.

Run AA build and Capt with BFT/AFT and watch the planes melt away. Then it is only DD's sinking you. LOL

• Cool 1

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,531 posts
3,532 battles

I grinded through the old Colorado from OBT and I kept that captain on her. Back then she had a worse heal (it had the regular USN heal), worse accuracy and worse range. Top hull gives you 2.0 sigma and better shells. 

I'vetried several builds with her and found a AA/survival build the best. For mods I run MaM1, AA Guns mod 1, DCS1 and DCS2. For Captain Skills  I run Preventive maintenance, Expert Marksman, Adrenaline Rush, High Alert, BFT, BoS and AFT. With AA flag I get a AA rating of 87 which in a T7 makes for a no fly zone and allot of CV captains don't know about the Colorado's AA and since you still see T5 and T6 CVs fairly often enough to lead to some pretty hilarious moments.

If your patient she will teach you to be a better captain. Play your area, if you start on the right flank then play that said, shown on the left stay there. I've have seen captains try to sail to a completely different side when they didn't need to which means their pretty much useless most if not the whole match. Watch your mini map, don't just watch the enemy but watch your friends and see what they're doing, are they pushing, stalling or retreating? You need to be able to predict their next moves because your speed sucks so your have to be ahead of both teams. These skills really translates to other suppose in the game and if you master this ship you can easily master any ship

• Cool 1

[KRAB]
Members
615 posts
5,838 battles

Looks like WG is buffing the HP to match same-tier equivalents. My only issue with the Colorado was the weak freeboard armor - anything which does find your broadside will do a lot of pen damage, even light cruisers which would bounce off a ship with a stronger upper belt. You really need to stay at mid-range and angle carefully, as it is much easier to take significant single-volley damage at sharper angles compared to a same-tier German or British Battleship. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,496 posts
10,219 battles
7 hours ago, MaxL_1023 said:

Looks like WG is buffing the HP to match same-tier equivalents. My only issue with the Colorado was the weak freeboard armor - anything which does find your broadside will do a lot of pen damage, even light cruisers which would bounce off a ship with a stronger upper belt. You really need to stay at mid-range and angle carefully, as it is much easier to take significant single-volley damage at sharper angles compared to a same-tier German or British Battleship. 

A long overdo buff to the ship's HP. Thank you WG.

Members
341 posts
1,905 battles
5 hours ago, Neighbor_Kid said:

I don't particularly appreciate the sigma nerf to 1.9 from 2.0.... 

What about the buff for the A Hull from 1.8 to 1.9?

[LEGIO]
Members
2,964 posts
5,370 battles
1 minute ago, Greenday4537 said:

What about the buff for the A Hull from 1.8 to 1.9?

Who uses the A-hull for more than a handful of games?

Members
341 posts
1,905 battles
1 minute ago, Lampshade_M1A2 said:

Who uses the A-hull for more than a handful of games?

No idea.

Honestly, I liked the Colorado. Good AA, good guns. Just slow and low HP but it appears the HP issue is being fixed.

[YORHA]
Members
3,270 posts
On 21/11/2017 at 5:50 PM, Neighbor_Kid said:

I don't particularly appreciate the sigma nerf to 1.9 from 2.0.... 

Try it on the PTS now.  The Hit Point upgrade really helps and the sigma change is not noticeable.

Members
4 posts
7,688 battles

I largely agree with Crucis.    The speed is historically accurate, especially relative to the other t7 BBs.  I have researched extensively, and those are pretty accurate as well.  Leave it alone...one of the ways power creep occurs is when WoW buffs things so they are either historically inaccurate and or relationally inaccurate  (i.e., a vessel being superior to another vessel that it definitely wasn't in "real world") in order to a make a vessel more competitive.  There is a strong argument that it should be a t6.  (Another issue with WoW is they feel they "have to" have a ship in each tier...again, leads to power creep, paper ships/ships that never were).

I'm almost done grinding in a Colo for the NC.  I tend to get reckless and impatient a lot of the time, negatively impacting winning (just not that concerned with it).  I have found that if you play it like, say, a New York, usually you do quite well. Oblique angles, inch along (which is a given even at flank speed, lol), use all 4 turrets at once "advisedly,"  use land to cover flanks a lot, stay with the mass of the fleet, especially when t8/t9 ships are afoot.   I use the spotter plane only to shoot over mountains, rather than firing at vessels outside standard range.  In that mode, you should inflict a very respectable amount of HP damage more often than not.

The hp may be a little low, but not much.  The KGV, Scharnhorst, Nagato.......thicker armor or higher tech armor or better armor scheme, better design, or combination thereof.  You can boost hp some on skipper skills.  Maybe make the "B" hull standard, with no upgrade available?  In fact, that would be an improvement, in my opinion, if it was done across the board.

If you want to talk about a t7 in dire need of major adjustment...HMS Hood...how about taking 7,000 to 9,000 off the hp pool.   What it has is laughable.

[S_B]
Members
415 posts
10,534 battles
On 11/21/2017 at 9:05 PM, Greenday4537 said:

No idea.

Honestly, I liked the Colorado. Good AA, good guns. Just slow and low HP but it appears the HP issue is being fixed.

Me too! Of course she doesn't start to shine till she's full upgraded and has at least a 10pt captain but she can be a beast. Her guns can be very deadly with good aim. Plus she goes up against some stiff competition at Tier 8 & 9 at times. I don't play her as much anymore since I have the NC but earlier this week I player her and got a Kraken 5 ships sunk and did 100K damage. I sank a BB, 3 cruisers and a DD in a so-so loss. The 3 cruisers and DD were chasing me so I stayed angled and killed them mainly with AP and my secondaries took care of the foolish DD that got too close from behind. Some people would have turned and faced them but my strategy allowed me to survive the battle while sinking them all as they chased me. Colorado can heal lots of damage too. I enjoyed her very much after she was at full strength and abilities. Only downside is yes she is low and her HP needs buffed some.

Members
262 posts

Currently grinding through the Colorado to get the NC. 

The aiming certainly took some getting used to after the New Mexico.  Shell flight is totally different. 

Not the most accurate guns, either...which is historically incorrect, as this class (particularly West Virginia) was considered the crack gunnery ships of the old BB's. 

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,496 posts
10,219 battles
7 hours ago, JuiceEFruit said:

Currently grinding through the Colorado to get the NC. 

The aiming certainly took some getting used to after the New Mexico.  Shell flight is totally different. 

Not the most accurate guns, either...which is historically incorrect, as this class (particularly West Virginia) was considered the crack gunnery ships of the old BB's. 

I find the guns to be very accurate even out to it's max 18.8km range without the APRM1 upgrade. I have noticed accuracy goes out the window with the spotter (literally hit or miss and more miss LOL) so I think APRM1 is a waste. Beyond that 18km range the guns are too unreliable accuracy wise and it is only going to be worse with the sigma nerf. However get to 15km and under and look out they are super accurate.

I actually went with the AA upgrade to beef up it's excellent for a T7 AA suite and stuck with the stock gun range. I think just 8 guns hurts it due to lower shell count with BB gun dispersion even if it is good for a BB. The guns hit HARD when they do. IMO Colorado has most accurate and best guns of the T7 BB's in actual use (stats aside).

With the recent 9200 HP buff the only real weakness the ship has is that atrocious, but accurate (don't get me wrong), 21 knot speed. Armor is squishy in spots too but still decent. Man what the ship could be if it had say 25 knots now that the HP is where it should be.

[MOO]
Members
57 posts
5,915 battles
On 11/18/2017 at 3:09 PM, AdmiralThunder said:

100% agree. Fully upgraded it is a lot better. Really it's weaknesses are the slow speed (should be used to by now in USN BB though), slightly squishy armor, and that ridiculously low health pool for a T7 BB.

With that said I actually love the Colorado. Hands down my favorite T7 standard tech tree BB. Only like Hood at T7 better for a BB. The guns on Colorado are excellent. Only 8 but very accurate and hit hard. It also has amazing AA for a T7 when spec'd for it. 

Of all it's shortcomings the biggest is that anemic HP. Just not right. A 5K buff would do wonders for the ship.

I must be doing something wrong then.  My experience with the Colorado has been one of deep disappointment.  I find that the accuracy on this ship is extremely trollish: two full salvos at a full broadside, stationary Fuso at 9km - zero hits, 1 full salvo at a beached Cleveland at 14km - 1 overpen.

The vast majority of all my hits are overpenetrations, and every hit I land on belt armor results in a shatter or richochet.

I hate this ship with every fiber of my being, and I don't know how I can grind past it without losing Free XP or my sanity.  This ship has single handedly killed any desire I have to finish the American BB line.

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,531 posts
3,532 battles
1 hour ago, motormouth85 said:

I must be doing something wrong then.  My experience with the Colorado has been one of deep disappointment.  I find that the accuracy on this ship is extremely trollish: two full salvos at a full broadside, stationary Fuso at 9km - zero hits, 1 full salvo at a beached Cleveland at 14km - 1 overpen.

The vast majority of all my hits are overpenetrations, and every hit I land on belt armor results in a shatter or richochet.

I hate this ship with every fiber of my being, and I don't know how I can grind past it without losing Free XP or my sanity.  This ship has single handedly killed any desire I have to finish the American BB line.

It's Captain problem, please post some replays so we could better help you because one shotting cruisers is something this ship does very well

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,496 posts
10,219 battles
2 hours ago, motormouth85 said:

It might simply be a case of you not clicking with the ship overall. Can't explain the shatter and ricochet part though, unless you are shooting at angled ships, as the USN 406 MM AP from Colorado on are just awesome and do massive damage. I have not experienced the issues you are with the ship's guns.

You might not be/probably aren't doing anything wrong though. People always talk of how amazing the guns on Nagato and Amagi are but for me they were utter frustration. Basically the same exact issues you mention above. Horrible accuracy and when I did hit pretty poor damage returns. I am not going to say it is "you". I have a different experience with Colorado is all just as those 2 IJN BB's sucked for me. Doesn't mean everyone will love it. 

Just out of curiosity. Are you fully upgraded yet? What mods are you running in the upgrade slots?

North Carolina, Iowa, and Montana are just amazing. IF you can grit your teeth and get through Colorado you should do better with NC and beyond. However, the guns are pretty much the same going forward so If you still have issues at NC best to drop the line probably. 

[MOO]
Members
57 posts
5,915 battles
On 12/16/2017 at 5:27 PM, AdmiralThunder said:

It might simply be a case of you not clicking with the ship overall. Can't explain the shatter and ricochet part though, unless you are shooting at angled ships, as the USN 406 MM AP from Colorado on are just awesome and do massive damage. I have not experienced the issues you are with the ship's guns.

You might not be/probably aren't doing anything wrong though. People always talk of how amazing the guns on Nagato and Amagi are but for me they were utter frustration. Basically the same exact issues you mention above. Horrible accuracy and when I did hit pretty poor damage returns. I am not going to say it is "you". I have a different experience with Colorado is all just as those 2 IJN BB's sucked for me. Doesn't mean everyone will love it. 

Just out of curiosity. Are you fully upgraded yet? What mods are you running in the upgrade slots?

North Carolina, Iowa, and Montana are just amazing. IF you can grit your teeth and get through Colorado you should do better with NC and beyond. However, the guns are pretty much the same going forward so If you still have issues at NC best to drop the line probably. 

I successfully got through the Colorado and unlocked the North Carolina.  Even the A hull NC is a massive improvement over the Lolorado.  She just didn't fit my playstyle, and the guns were too unreliable for me to make work.  Don't get me wrong, I had some amazing games with her, but those were offset by total disasters.  I'm so glad to be rid of it, and I can't ever see me going back in the future.

• Cool 1

[HRG]
Members
30 posts
3,745 battles

I agree with Motormouth85 the  Colorado sucks.  can`t hit anything with it even at close range 9 km get one hit and the rest miss or goes over or hits the water when you aim again. Did better with New Mexico 

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,531 posts
3,532 battles
2 hours ago, Riker_2 said:

I agree with Motormouth85 the  Colorado sucks.  can`t hit anything with it even at close range 9 km get one hit and the rest miss or goes over or hits the water when you aim again. Did better with New Mexico 

I laugh at this statement

H7WpKCP.jpg

Yep inaccurate, I only managed 30%+ hit rate with the main guns (I believe I fired around 160 shells that match)

Seriously the ship with the new HP buff along with its better DCS makes her stupid hard to kill, I can recover about a 1/3 of my HP with each heal, with 5 possible heals makes for a absolute tank. I actually love to be set on fire in this ship because its so easy to heal it all back. Since she is currently doing better than the Gneisenau in most respects and since the buff is finally in line with the rest of the tech tree ships proves the point further, its not the ship but the captain. The USN BB line excels with good captains, its not stupid proof like the British and German lines and if your a bad captain you will fail with the line. They are a line of hard hitting ships that require captain to know how to angle and plan which area they want to fight in