You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
shadowsrmine

Am I the only one that finds it odd?

22 comments in this topic

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,930 posts

That the higher tier is the(and 12 years older circa 1930) Cruiser the Pensacola is better armed than the newer Cleveland?  circa 1942  not sure I worded that question right but I hope everyone understand's what I'm asking and also just how historically accurate are the ships represented here?   Really I would have thought the ship produced in 1942 would have been better armed and the higher tier

Pensacola.png

Cleveland.png

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
1,157 posts
7,834 battles

I imagine the difference is changing from light cruiser (6" rifles and smaller) to heavy cruiser (8" rifles or larger).  I think when the US Cruiser line splits in 2018 we'll see Cleveland in its proper place

[NEMO]
[NEMO]
Members
750 posts
6,828 battles

I was going to say something about the upcoming cruiser line split, but.....

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Just because the ship has bigger guns, doesn't mean it is better. Cleveland had many benefits over the Pensacolas, and for the type of gun, better guns.

You don't need all heavy cruisers, or all light cruisers.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,930 posts

And yet notice if the Pensacola is not the better ship it's still the higher tier......................................It's better armed and armored  IE more like the New Orleans and yet it's still 12 years older:cap_book: Than the Cleveland:cap_yes::cap_wander::cap_wander_2:

New_Orleans.png

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
8,786 posts

Light cruiser does not equal a heavy cruiser. They both had different design philosophies when built. What's wrong with the wyoming and new york? NY as described was developed from the WY and had better armor and most importantly bigger guns.

Edited by RipNuN2

Members
2,156 posts
4,848 battles

NY crushes a WY in 1v1 situations. fewer guns does not mean worse guns.

Cleveland is a light cruiser, Pepsican is a heavy. they were built for different purposes, ergo different guns were placed on them. the upcoming USN cruiser split will correct a few things about them, i believe.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,308 posts
9,382 battles

The Wyoming and New York are in the correct tiers, when a ship was designed with a larger bore guns, the number was reduced to keep displacement under control.

South Carolina class, 8 x 12" 45 cals

Delaware and Florida classes, 10 x 12" 45 cals

Wyoming class, 12 x 12" 50 cals

New York and Nevada Classes, 10 x 14" 45 cals

Pennsylvania class, 12 x 14" 45 cals

New Mexico and California classes, 12 x 14" 50 cals

Colorado class, 8 x 16" 45 cals

North Carolina and South Dakota classes, 9 x 16" 45 cals

Iowa class, 9 x 16" 50 cals

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,930 posts
4 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

Light cruiser does not equal a heavy cruiser. They both had different design philosophies when built. What's wrong with the wyoming and new york? NY as described was developed from the WY and had better armor and most importantly bigger guns.

Tortoise like the So. Carolina moves very slow shoots just as slow,  No. Carolina moves faster, Of course shoots as slow so much for using her very much after I get her

No.Carolina.png

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,930 posts
4 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

While the Des Moines the I'm after in the end is a heavy Cruiser it shoots like a light the Baltimore does not

Baltimore.png

Des_Moines.png

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
8,786 posts
7 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

Tortoise like the So. Carolina moves very slow shoots just as slow,  No. Carolina moves faster, Of course shoots as slow so much for using her very much after I get her

No.Carolina.png

Well that's the us standard battleships for you having the 21 knot speed was the norm. Nc was first fast battleship and the rates of fire are pretty reasonable considering the gun caliber. 

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,930 posts
4 hours ago, MidnightShamalan said:

NY crushes a WY in 1v1 situations. fewer guns does not mean worse guns.

Cleveland is a light cruiser, Pepsican is a heavy. they were built for different purposes, ergo different guns were placed on them. the upcoming USN cruiser split will correct a few things about them, i believe.

USN Cruiser split please tell me more?

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
8,786 posts
1 minute ago, shadowsrmine said:

While the Des Moines the I'm after in the end is a heavy Cruiser it shoots like a light the Baltimore does not

Baltimore.png

Des_Moines.png

The des Moines historically had autoloaders leading to the much greater rate of fire plus it's t10 the pinnacle of the line.

• Cool 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,930 posts

This is food for thought..............And possibly anxiety and or dismay especially if you already have these tier's:etc_red_button::etc_swear:

USN_CA_CL_Split_Clarification.png

USN_CA_CL_Split_Clarification#2.png

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,775 battles

If you think that having bigger guns means a better ship, take your Pensacola up against a Chapayev, or, God Forbid, a Minotaur.

If you think the same about BB's, take that Wyoming up against a Scharnhorst.

Bigger guns does NOT = a better ship.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,930 posts
12 hours ago, Umikami said:

If you think that having bigger guns means a better ship, take your Pensacola up against a Chapayev, or, God Forbid, a Minotaur.

If you think the same about BB's, take that Wyoming up against a Scharnhorst.

Bigger guns does NOT = a better ship.

Actually I like the rate of fire on a St. Louis and Omaha no they don't have range of a Cleveland or Pensacola however if they get close enuff to a Battleship in anything lower than a tier 7 that BB's going down and yeah most of the time the St Louis or Omaha is too

• Cool 1

[NGA-S]
[NGA-S]
Beta Testers
1,088 posts
4,137 battles

You also need to take into account the technology of the day. While this is a game, the Pensacola's and all the US heavy cruisers built as treaty cruisers suffered from many short comings.  If this were a simulation, I would consider taking a Cleveland or even a Brooklyn up against a treaty cruiser.  To answer the question about the BB's you had to have the tech to make the turrets and guns, that is the hardest part of ship building.  

• Cool 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,930 posts
1 hour ago, Barake said:

You also need to take into account the technology of the day. While this is a game, the Pensacola's and all the US heavy cruisers built as treaty cruisers suffered from many short comings.  If this were a simulation, I would consider taking a Cleveland or even a Brooklyn up against a treaty cruiser.  To answer the question about the BB's you had to have the tech to make the turrets and guns, that is the hardest part of ship building.  

And this was exactly the issue I was raising they had the cruisers tiered wrong,  As it turns out they're gonna correct that

• Cool 1