Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HooplaJones

What is going on with Spotting?

18 comments in this topic

[NOOBS]
[NOOBS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
445 posts
11,570 battles

I am in a BB I am spotted and I see ships invis a fire on me (NO SMOKE) 3 seconds later they light up. 

I am in a DD 5.6 detection vs a Trashcan, I am spotted and the Trashcan opens up on me before I can see him the only other DD is on the other side of the map.  

Just some really odd crapwith spotting going on.

[RIPQP]
Members
3,705 posts
14,483 battles

Ships render with delay on your screen, this is by design.

There are no DDs with 5.6km detection that meet Tashkent. You probably got radared or plane spotted.

[GRRR]
[GRRR]
Members
586 posts
20,575 battles
5 hours ago, m373x said:

Ships render with delay on your screen, this is by design.

There are no DDs with 5.6km detection that meet Tashkent. You probably got radared or plane spotted.

Yugumo, Kagero.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles
9 minutes ago, Roadrider7021 said:

Yugumo, Kagero.

They have 5.4.

[RIPQP]
Members
3,705 posts
14,483 battles
13 minutes ago, Roadrider7021 said:

Yugumo, Kagero.

5.5 and 5.4 respectively

[GRRR]
[GRRR]
Members
586 posts
20,575 battles
5 minutes ago, m373x said:

5.5 and 5.4 respectively

Yessir, didn't understand his point, thought you pointing out there were no DD's below 5.6 ( I missed Harekaze *cough* Kagero anyway). I'm in pre coffee forum skim mode, what can I say.

[RIPQP]
Members
3,705 posts
14,483 battles
6 minutes ago, Roadrider7021 said:

Yessir, didn't understand his point, thought you pointing out there were no DD's below 5.6 ( I missed Harekaze *cough* Kagero anyway). I'm in pre coffee forum skim mode, what can I say.

It's all good.

[-K-]
Members
575 posts
9,173 battles

While it's true that the rendering delay is "intended", it's stupid and quite unintuitive. Those of us who are neck-deep in game mechanics might be aware of it, but it's easy to understand someone thinking it's a mistake. Since it's stupid.

Members
1,234 posts
20,591 battles

Is it true that if my my BB puts up a spotting plane, it can only see ships that have already been spotted by other ships?

It doesn't act like a carrier plane which can spot enemy ships in their detection range?

Members
17,726 posts
5,084 battles
39 minutes ago, slokill_1 said:

Is it true that if my my BB puts up a spotting plane, it can only see ships that have already been spotted by other ships?

It doesn't act like a carrier plane which can spot enemy ships in their detection range?

I'm pretty sure all planes spot the same.

The thing is though, adding the distance out that a spotter or cat fighter flies from your ship, combined with ships (except giant BBs) having better concealment vs. planes than ships, means your ship will spot targets at the same time as, or even before your planes.

Where those planes are useful is mainly for spotting torps, and ships behind islands.

[NOOBS]
[NOOBS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
445 posts
11,570 battles
6 hours ago, Pulicat said:

Nothing is wrong with spotting, just your understanding of it.

Ok so help me understand it then if you fire your guns the enemy does not see you immediately if you are in visible by firing range?  I have played a heck of alot of game but only have experienced spotting issues recently, obviously I am missing something.

Members
17,726 posts
5,084 battles
21 minutes ago, HooplaJones said:

Ok so help me understand it then if you fire your guns the enemy does not see you immediately if you are in visible by firing range?  I have played a heck of alot of game but only have experienced spotting issues recently, obviously I am missing something.

Could be a sync/lag thing.

[KP]
Members
1,995 posts
18,375 battles
12 hours ago, HooplaJones said:

I am in a BB I am spotted and I see ships invis a fire on me (NO SMOKE) 3 seconds later they light up. 

I am in a DD 5.6 detection vs a Trashcan, I am spotted and the Trashcan opens up on me before I can see him the only other DD is on the other side of the map.  

Just some really odd crapwith spotting going on.

I have noticed this it's usually when a ship is kiting and fires at the very edge of it's max range. The key for that is when there are no other ships to spot it's gun bloom. It's a super small invisi fire window that's not really an exploit.

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
1 hour ago, HooplaJones said:

It takes time for the game to generate the Opponent even if its microseconds its sometimes noticeable maybe due to lag as @Skpstr said.

You can reduce surprises by looking at the mini-map more often as it generates much much faster.

[O7]
Members
4,921 posts
8,751 battles
8 hours ago, HooplaJones said:

-fire guns at enemy.

-server recognizes you fire guns, expands your concealment. 

-server checks to see if you are spotted by something (ship, plane) that isn't obscured by landmass/smoke and accounts for smoke detection if it's between you and enemy. 

-if spotted, you appear on minimap and become visible on the water a second or so later.

this has been in the game for a long time. 

Sign in to follow this