You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Big_Tidday_Goth_GF

Salve friends - which Roman botes will come first?

34 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,345 battles

Which line will our glorious Italian navy get first?  I am interested in hearing theories as to which one and why

Edited by Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD

[RIPQP]
Members
3,708 posts
14,527 battles

Cruisers, because WG will make the most use of the initial Italian "hype" this way and make italian cruisers somewhat popular. Battleships will always be popular so it is OK to release them after that.

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,395 battles

Definitely the cruisers first. With WG currently testing another Italian premium cruiser in the form of the Duca degli Abruzzi, it would make sense if they released a cruiser line first, imo. Honestly though, I'd rather see the battleships, since I don't find much enjoyment in cruisers in this game as I used to. On top of that, a quick glance at Wikipedia tells me that the Italians had far more cruisers and cruiser designs than they did battleships, which made sense, considering they operated in the Mediterranean for the most part. 

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,626 posts
14,017 battles

They just released RN BBs not too long ago.  PADDs are next.  So Cruisers are next in line.  That's just my guess, though.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,676 posts
10,011 battles

Cruisers make the most sense to me.

The Italian Navy commissioned 4 classes of battleship and two are very similar so there's not a huge depth of material to choose from - though still better than Russia.

The Italian destroyers I think will be difficult to balance, their niche has to an extent been stolen by the Russians - fast ships with high MV, some limited torpedo fits.

The Cruisers I think there's solid depth in - 3 classes of heavies, the D'Aosta and Abruzzi have class mates to include, a traditional CL/CA transition, some developed flavor - long range/slow torps, D-AA and hydro in separate slots, possibly fast AP. Fast ships in general if WG want to go that route (though France gets the 'fast cruiser niche'.

Overall Cruisers seem the lowest hanging fruit, without a premium destroyer released to date that branch looks further out to me, battleships take longer to model and are more problematic.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,419 posts
3,413 battles

Pan Asian DDs are coming soon.

French BBs are likely coming either in December or early 2018 (January~March); barring any sudden or last-minute rebalancing decisions. It's unlikely though they will have problems compared to the RN BB line and have a faster time-to-live-release than the any of the RN lines had thus far.

As for the Italians, WG mentioned 2018 at the earliest. And it's likely to be a cruiser line first, since other lines split off from them (excluding the DD line). As well, Italian cruisers are pretty popular, so it's almost guaranteed that the line will become popular, assuming no bizarre balancing gimmicks. They would likely be followed up by the Italian BB line, given that's also a fairly popular line (both in iconic ships and being the most popular class).

Anything else is a wild guess; WG did state they would also bring VMF BBs in in 2018, but we also have the RN DD line, the MN DD line, and the RM DD line as possibles. The RN DD line would be the next likely line somewhere between the BB releases; moreso since some of their DDs are shared within the Pan Asian DD line. The MN DD line and the RM DD line are likely to be low-priority lines since neither were demanded in real numbers. And the RN CV line is a no-go until WG completes their CV overhaul (or so they said).

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,345 battles

If they bring us CLs which don't play like the British (and presumably American) but at the same time don't suck like the Russians, I'll be interested.  Really I play everything in the game (except RN Battleships) so it doesn't matter much what they bring out because I'll try them, but I am most interested in a battleship line.  The Roma is also being previewed right now, not just a new cruiser, so that has me wondering which will be first.  Of course I think a Russian BB line could be fun as long as it's not an HE gimmick.  I don't really care what they do as long as it's fun to play - frontal focused secondaries, crazy turret configuration, it doesn't matter because we're already in the realm of make believe with them anyway.

So far I'm enjoying the Cesare a lot and I think it's my most consistent bote for having good games in.  A design philosophy like that would be a lot of fun to go down a complete tech line.

[BIAS]
Members
190 posts
14,614 battles
48 minutes ago, Battleship_MaineMk1 said:

They declared we get an Italian cruiser line in 2018 at gamescon. 

Well that settles it then: Italian cruisers before Italian battleships. I'm fine with that, in fact I tend to prefer it since I think there are too many BBs in the population. Wherever possible, I want a nation's cruiser tree to precede any other.

Edited by chs4000

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,195 posts
2,029 battles

Cruisers always come first for nation lines, uless you can't field one (Pan-Asia) or it requires a large amount of paper & Stalinium.

Most likely it will be a CA-heavy line, transitioning from CLs to CAs at tier VI or VII. A the moment I'm more inclined to say VI, based on premium choices and Q&A responses.

[HINON]
7,195 posts
2,029 battles
1 hour ago, Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD said:

Which is fine, since that will give me time to train up a cruiser and a BB captain.  Is there any speculation on when they'll release the Roma?

Before the end of the year, they'll probably try and time her for the Holidays. Of course, that all assumes testing goes well.

[UFFA]
[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
3,788 battles

Unless Abruzzi and Roma are fielded as a pack isn’t the premium queue full for the rest of the year?

[HINON]
7,195 posts
2,029 battles
8 minutes ago, SparvieroVV said:

Unless Abruzzi and Roma are fielded as a pack isn’t the premium queue full for the rest of the year?

I'm pretty sure everything that's coming for this year has already been revealed. Seeing as Roma's already got her model up on GM3D, and the rate things are going, a late December release is quite feasible. Giulio Cesare certainly didn't take that long, even after the behavior of her guns had to be radically changed.

[UFFA]
[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
3,788 battles

T-61, Abruzzi, Aigle, Ashitaka, Graf Zeppelin, Huang He and Vampire are all ahead of Roma in the pipeline afaik. 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,676 posts
10,011 battles
Just now, SparvieroVV said:

T-61, Abruzzi, Aigle, Ashitaka, Graf Zeppelin, Huang He and Vampire are all ahead of Roma in the pipeline afaik. 

Yep, and at 2 weeks each that's a long time.

Interestingly I've seen CC reviews of T-61 and Abruzzi but not of Aigle which was revealed at the same time and has since disappeared. The Ashitaka I've seen a review of. GZ who even knows where the test iterations will end.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,676 posts
10,011 battles
3 minutes ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

Do you have a link to the Abruzzi reviews?

Flamu:

Spoiler

Notser:

Spoiler

NoZoup (partial touch on):

Spoiler

• Cool 1

[BNKR]
Members
1,302 posts
681 battles
17 hours ago, mofton said:

Flamu:

Hide contents

Notser:

Hide contents

NoZoup (partial touch on):

Reveal hidden contents

Thank you.

The lackluster reviews are disappointing. :(

[UFFA]
[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
3,788 battles

Seems WG’s answer is to increase turret traverse to allow the use of III turret and swing back before getting citadeled. 

[LRM3]
[LRM3]
Members
390 posts
5,406 battles
7 hours ago, SparvieroVV said:

Seems WG’s answer is to increase turret traverse to allow the use of III turret and swing back before getting citadeled. 

That would be fine with me. 

Honestly, I am fine with buying all Italian ships regardless of performance. 

[HINON]
7,195 posts
2,029 battles

I've said it before, I'll say it again.

They've overtired the cruiser premiums.

d'Aosta should have been a tier V, but WG wanted the combo of RoF and uber ballistics, so we got d'Aosta at tier VI, not an easy ship either despite all the boosts she has.

Abruzzi then couldn't got at VI, and got pushed up to VII. Where it just doesn't belong, not with the lackluster strength of Italian HE in this game.

At this point, I say 'screw it' and WG should just slap the 1/4 pen rule on Abruzzi. The 6" gun can cut it up to tier VI with the regular 1/6 penetration, but not beyond that, and we're probably not getting a CL heavy line. 

The only thing that could've ever put Abruzzi at VII was if they properly modeled decapping, and made her belt actually work, but instead it's just a weakness, the effectiveness only about a kilometer's worth better than the 100mm belt by itself, and the distance to short to absorb shells the way French ships and earlier Italian cruisers would.