You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

Er Mah Gawd Its OCEAN

35 comments in this topic

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

Tonight Ocean made it back to rotation. Man was I excited! Oh sure, I was in a Minotaur with radar, no smoke... managed a piddling amount of damage but boy was it fun dropping shells all around the BBs, cruisers and a few destroyers. Fortunately, my team mates played a good game. We lost two ships to the reds loosing six. Our early and successful cap of B and C - and holding them - forced them to make mistakes. 

Our team stayed relatively together and focus fire was first on the menu. I felt bad for the reds in a way... you know the feeling, right... down on caps in the first two or so minutes... fighting uphill the entire match. 

I sure would like to see ocean in rotation far more frequently... at least to be ten percent of the map rotations. Someone in chat called it H 2 O. I think they might want to consider renaming it to H 2 O. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
271 posts
7,537 battles

Love the Ocean map but hate that it's a Tier X map. To me Ocean is where skill can truly shine because if you know how to play your ship properly then you will do just fine. Although at the same time you have to be on a team that can work together very well. I too wish Ocean showed up more in the rotation than it does now.

[-1]
Beta Testers
1,799 posts
18,709 battles

I always enjoyed the fast action in that map no place to hide a true naval engagement battle

• Cool 2

[TBW]
Members
6,335 posts
11,884 battles

I had better get in the game and see if I can hook up on an Ocean map had 2 games on Epicenter on tears earlier, won 1 lost 1.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,291 battles

I love the Ocean map.  Wasn't a big fan of the original Standard mode version because of the brain dead way which most players would play it, i.e. ALWAYS circling the map counter-clockwise.  Heaven forbid that a team would try to do clockwise and attempt to intercept the enemy team, rather than having giant, long range, circle jerk around the middle of the map.

The 3 cap Domination mode version is a considerable improvement, because it removed the foolish  circling the map player behavior in favor of engaging around the caps, though mostly at longish ranges.

I'd love to see this map used all way down to at least the mid tiers.  I've always thought that the complaints about Ocean were complete nonsense.  This is how naval battles are supposed to be.  No land nearby.  No islands to accidentally run into.  No corridor maps.  Just some real free-flowing action.

• Cool 2

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

I agree... I'd like to see Ocean in rotation a bit more often. It's so rare now it's actually a treat. Back when it was like every third or fourth map, sure, that got a tad old... now they have so many maps, they could bring it back to lower rotations. 

I bet there are a lot of players who have never played the Ocean map. It'd be new to them! 

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Ocean Map and Epic Center, a marriage made in Heaven. This would be the Best Map/Mode. Slugfest Extraordinaire.  A demolition Derby of the Sea. But using a set MM 1 CV 2 DD 3 BB 6 CA/L

[HDR]
[HDR]
Members
1,174 posts
2,197 battles
Just now, CLUCH_CARGO said:

But using a set MM 1 CV 2 DD 3 BB 6 CA/L

Yeah, that would be necessary...

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,026 posts

Ermengarde, stop sniveling - Don't cry on the valises!
We haven't missed the boat, thank the Lord!
Lovely, you're improving - Now get all 11 pieces,
We're 7 minutes late.
All Aboard!

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,216 battles

I'd like to see Ocean returned to more tiers.

• Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

Totally agree... it's really a hoot now... but you know... take a ship, any tier 1 ship. Go forth and club. Guess what - its not easy. At tier 1 they're all gonzo, full throttle, jockeying about, making themselves hard-to-hit targets. Immediately after you play a couple Tier 1 matches, go up to Tier 3 or Tier 4. Game play is astoundingly different. They're a whole lot easier to seal club. Strange..

It's as if the game itself is educating them, teaching them to camp. Hence Ocean would be a real PITA to those players in the lower tiers. I'd like it to come back... but I doubt they'll do it. 

[SYN]
Members
4,525 posts
11,433 battles

Ocean was always my favorite map.  Wish it made regular appearances.

Not for high tiers, though.  Too small a map for that.

[-KELP]
Members
42 posts
1,952 battles
On 11/17/2017 at 8:32 PM, Crucis said:

I'd love to see this map used all way down to at least the mid tiers.  I've always thought that the complaints about Ocean were complete nonsense.  This is how naval battles are supposed to be.  No land nearby.  No islands to accidentally run into.  No corridor maps.  Just some real free-flowing action.

I'd love to play this map as naval battles really are fought. No islands, just ships against ships. I'm stuck at level 5-7 because i'm just not very good: I can accept that. The way it is now I'll never get to fight this map, & I am SICK TO DEATH of the same maps, over & over & over. =Boring.

Please make more maps available to more mid-Tier players; & I'd really like to try Ocean. Thank you... 

Edited by Kanives_1

[TURDS]
Members
552 posts
3,634 battles
On 11/27/2017 at 8:47 PM, Herr_Reitz said:

Totally agree... it's really a hoot now... but you know... take a ship, any tier 1 ship. Go forth and club. Guess what - its not easy. At tier 1 they're all gonzo, full throttle, jockeying about, making themselves hard-to-hit targets. Immediately after you play a couple Tier 1 matches, go up to Tier 3 or Tier 4. Game play is astoundingly different. They're a whole lot easier to seal club. Strange..

It's as if the game itself is educating them, teaching them to camp. Hence Ocean would be a real PITA to those players in the lower tiers. I'd like it to come back... but I doubt they'll do it. 

Break the cycle. Fight Camper-itis, Camper-ism, whatever the hell it is.

24 minutes ago, Kanives_1 said:

I'd love to play this map as naval battles really are fought. No islands, just ships against ships. I'm stuck at level 5-7 because i'm just not very good: I can accept that. The way it is now I'll never get to fight this map, & I am SICK TO DEATH of the same maps, over & over & over. =Boring.

Please make more maps available to more mid-Tier players; & I'd really like to try Ocean. Thank you... 

Yes please. Ocean in the map rotation for all tiers, just scale the size accordingly. Or don't scale down would be even better. Ignore the wailing and gnashing of pacifiers. This game needs more map variety big time.

• Cool 1

[1SSF]
Members
47 posts
6,284 battles

I got an ocean the other day in my Khaba, did 212k damage. I would love if that was the default battle for that monster because it fits the playstyle perfectly.

Members
105 posts
213 battles

Lol, got Ocean the other day, then the very next game saw a Tashkent! Very rare indeed..

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

So I typically will engage in T8/T10 matches at least once a day. Today, January 17th, 2018, I finally got another encounter on OCEAN. Our team won again - but here's the thing. 

I play the Tirpitz/GK as I said, one of them about every day. It's been almost SIXTY DAYS since I got to play the OCEAN map. 

Can we get the rotation bumped up by about 50% so I can at least see the map once a month? It's very refreshing to play that map. tiafyc

• Cool 1

[OPEC]
Members
925 posts
5,108 battles

I’ve had it twice this week already, so I thought it might be back...

[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
4,420 battles

Ocean is making a bigger come back?

giphy.gif

Alpha Tester
3,476 posts
1,521 battles

I miss ocean as well.  Had some of my best, most memorable battles on it.  Sucks that I so rarely see it any more. 

[SIDE]
Members
714 posts
3,136 battles

I wish Ocean was available at all tiers.. It's really a whole different style of playing and you really need to depend on teamwork.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts
On 1/7/2018 at 2:33 PM, Merlox said:

I wish Ocean was available at all tiers.. It's really a whole different style of playing and you really need to depend on teamwork.

Yes... I think it would be great for them to give it a go in regular rotation... otherwise, I 'd like to at least see it a bit more often in the higher tiers. Me mind you, I'm not speaking for anybody else mind you.