You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Reymu

I swear

26 comments in this topic

[NG-NL]
Members
4,955 posts
8,103 battles

How am I supposed to be motivated to enjoy Tashkent and Freddy when at least 60% of the time, since it's a high-tier campfest, I can literally expect to have lower damage totals, more trouble pushing caps, and generally not getting enough done? Back to back, win or loss, no matter how carefully I play, always seem to be losing credits.

Taiho, for most part, I was able to break even or profit since played her competently. Ibuki was not too bad since used premium time and a lot of long-range HE sniping. Roon was fairly straightforward and had semi-consistent performance. Izumo I usually managed a small profit unless stupidly yolo'd since knew how to play to her tankiness.

Tashkent has small guns and T4 torps w/ 8km range, and basically nothing else. Ran the smoke on her so far, it seems hit or miss whether it's useful as unless I'm the only DD spotting, it's just a chance for teammates to avoid fire while I get focused--makes me wonder if the self-heal is viable, and how best to use that. She's stock atm, if that helps, wanted to get at least some ship XP before buying range upgrade.

Freddy I play same as Bismarck/Tirpitz, complete with a full secondary build. However, getting in range to use it has given usually middling results and her tankiness can't match Izumo's. 

No, I'm not throwing doubloons on prem camos for them. T10 ship only, since like the progression to the top.

[PT8TO]
Members
277 posts
11,622 battles

As a potato captain myself,i can only suggest you to do this.

Spoiler

1sDVTok.thumb.jpg.32139da77272739486e89136525fac37.jpg

No offense:Smile_hiding:

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Members
8,809 posts

I prefer fire prevention on the fdg over a full secondary build. I use the small guns and the reload mod to make up for the dispersion by putting more rounds downrange. This helps in all those high tier battles since you spend more time at range.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,222 posts
8,400 battles

I've been saving all my economic flags and camo for T9. 

No regrets yet!

[B2P]
Members
495 posts
13,210 battles

Yeah, tier 8 is where you have to start putting up consistently good XP and damage numbers, or you will lose money.  But there is a way around it... play some lower tier ships first... especially if any of them are premiums!  :Smile_great:

I'm using premium time atm, but when I wasn't I would always start my play time with a round or two with my lower tier premium ships.  I would make 100-150k easily per match with those, which basically gives you money to spend when you don't have a great round with a tier 9 or 10.  Also, you can use various signals and camo to offset costs or increase earning, which would help as well.

It's WG's way of making sure everyone doesn't end up playing tier 10 only.

Members
2,877 posts
5,187 battles
23 minutes ago, Reymu said:

How am I supposed to be motivated to enjoy Tashkent and Freddy when at least 60% of the time, since it's a high-tier campfest, I can literally expect to have lower damage totals, more trouble pushing caps, and generally not getting enough done? Back to back, win or loss, no matter how carefully I play, always seem to be losing credits.

Taiho, for most part, I was able to break even or profit since played her competently. Ibuki was not too bad since used premium time and a lot of long-range HE sniping. Roon was fairly straightforward and had semi-consistent performance. Izumo I usually managed a small profit unless stupidly yolo'd since knew how to play to her tankiness.

Tashkent has small guns and T4 torps w/ 8km range, and basically nothing else. Ran the smoke on her so far, it seems hit or miss whether it's useful as unless I'm the only DD spotting, it's just a chance for teammates to avoid fire while I get focused--makes me wonder if the self-heal is viable, and how best to use that. She's stock atm, if that helps, wanted to get at least some ship XP before buying range upgrade.

Freddy I play same as Bismarck/Tirpitz, complete with a full secondary build. However, getting in range to use it has given usually middling results and her tankiness can't match Izumo's. 

No, I'm not throwing doubloons on prem camos for them. T10 ship only, since like the progression to the top.

Freddy is the Izumo of the KM line.  You have to deal with it to get the glory, which is the GK.  Same as you have to grind through the crap pile games with Izzy to get to Yam.   Biz was a glory ship, as was Amagi in the IJN line.  Maybe more so..   Realistically there shouldn't be much difference between FD and GK, but believe me there is..  Just wait.  GK is still the most OP ship in the game IMHO.  Especially if you like to run the seconds build out.  Had a couple of hat trick close Q games in her.  I am still looking for the elusive 500 secondary hits game..  Been close a couple of times.  If I "only" get 150-180 seconds in a game I am disappointed.   Put the premie camo on the GK if you can and it prints credits and XP.  Freddy can tank..  Better than Izzy maybe unless you count all the forward guns on the Iz.  Freddy seconds are better.  I hated my grind through Izzy and could tolerate the grind through FD.  Start your game with HE and pop your spotter..  get a couple of quick fires on BB's at range to start the game then get back to AP.  Forcing them burn out repairs early helps later on. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

Since the Fred will almost always face T10 ships, try to stick with your team without adapting the sometimes prevalent camper attitude. You probably know more about this game than me, but I actually enjoyed playing Fred, no matter how I did with it, because I knew what was next .

I can't say the same for the Yammy grind. I've quit that grind at least twice now, buying/selling the Izumo like it was on fire. What a friggin nasty ship (imho). 

I hope you get some good advice for the Tashkent (aka trashcan) because she seems to me easily defeated by almost any ship that encounters her. Curious... why'd you pick up the Tashkent?

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,176 posts
3,867 battles

The only advice I have for Tashkent is to go fast and never stop shooting.

Like every Russian destroyer before it.

• Cool 1

[BLOME]
Members
945 posts
6,397 battles
1 hour ago, Gizuke said:

Reveal hidden contents

lmbo

Edited by zuga_01

[SYN]
Members
4,525 posts
11,433 battles
1 hour ago, Reymu said:

Ran the smoke on her so far...

^^ This is a mistake.

Boats like the Tashkent and Khabarovsk are made for trolling with heal.  Using smoke on either of these boats is a waste.  I only wish the Kiev had heal.  I'd trade the smoke for it in a heartbeat.

If you're worried about being detected or otherwise playing these boats like a conventional destroyer, you are doing it way, way wrong.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,320 posts
11,434 battles

Trashcan needs range on her guns.

Close to ~11 km open fire and kite away.

[STW]
Beta Testers
1,984 posts
9,532 battles
2 hours ago, Reymu said:

$0.25 for the swear jar and a bar of soap to wash your mouth!  :)

• Cool 1

[RIPQP]
Members
435 posts
12,219 battles

You really need the upgraded GFS on Tashkent, as well as AFT on the captain. Then you've got some of the best DD guns in the game that can reliably hit stuff out to 15km. You're also difficult to hit while doing 48 knots, but the handling doesn't allow you to contest caps early in the match, so what I like to do is poke around the edges of the caps firing on the first thing I see in range, drawing as much fire as I can while running away screaming.

[HINON]
Members
8,809 posts
1 hour ago, grumpymunky said:

You really need the upgraded GFS on Tashkent, as well as AFT on the captain. Then you've got some of the best DD guns in the game that can reliably hit stuff out to 15km. You're also difficult to hit while doing 48 knots, but the handling doesn't allow you to contest caps early in the match, so what I like to do is poke around the edges of the caps firing on the first thing I see in range, drawing as much fire as I can while running away screaming.

Or in visual form its like this when you kite away . . .

hqKOu7X.jpg

[NG-NL]
Members
4,955 posts
8,103 battles
4 hours ago, Gizuke said:

Hide contents

giphy.gif

None taken, but I'd really have preferred you took the hint about wanting pointers.

4 hours ago, RipNuN2 said:

I prefer fire prevention on the fdg over a full secondary build. I use the small guns and the reload mod to make up for the dispersion by putting more rounds downrange. This helps in all those high tier battles since you spend more time at range.

Took the bigger guns because figured the extra pen power would mean fewer AP bounces, but in practice, barely noticed any difference. I'll await cheaper respec or grind the elite commander XP and swap MS for FP...dunno about dropping the secondaries module in slot 2, but suppose the AA range or aiming system module would work better. Can't brawl much at a tier where offense outpaces defense.

From running DCM2 on Yamato, fire duration drops to 50 seconds with it. Guess need to combine that w/ FP to survive cruiser HE. At range, even a Conqueror has trouble hitting more than my middle.

4 hours ago, CaptGodzillaPig said:

Freddy is the Izumo of the KM line.  You have to deal with it to get the glory, which is the GK.  Same as you have to grind through the crap pile games with Izzy to get to Yam.   Biz was a glory ship, as was Amagi in the IJN line.  Maybe more so..   Realistically there shouldn't be much difference between FD and GK, but believe me there is..  Just wait.  GK is still the most OP ship in the game IMHO.  Especially if you like to run the seconds build out.  Had a couple of hat trick close Q games in her.  I am still looking for the elusive 500 secondary hits game..  Been close a couple of times.  If I "only" get 150-180 seconds in a game I am disappointed.   Put the premie camo on the GK if you can and it prints credits and XP.  Freddy can tank..  Better than Izzy maybe unless you count all the forward guns on the Iz.  Freddy seconds are better.  I hated my grind through Izzy and could tolerate the grind through FD.  Start your game with HE and pop your spotter..  get a couple of quick fires on BB's at range to start the game then get back to AP.  Forcing them burn out repairs early helps later on. 

Are you saying secondary build on GK is worth it more than freddy?

3 hours ago, AraAragami said:

The only advice I have for Tashkent is to go fast and never stop shooting.

Like every Russian destroyer before it.

Problem being the limited room until have upgraded range module--time to spend FXP. At range, hitting DDs is tough--my approach has been to spot and whip them whenever possible...you are implying bothering cruisers and BBs is my job, as well as drawing potential damage.

Still, sound approach. I'll try it out tonight.

3 hours ago, Kuckoo said:

^^ This is a mistake.

Boats like the Tashkent and Khabarovsk are made for trolling with heal.  Using smoke on either of these boats is a waste.  I only wish the Kiev had heal.  I'd trade the smoke for it in a heartbeat.

If you're worried about being detected or otherwise playing these boats like a conventional destroyer, you are doing it way, way wrong.

Not when the smoke baits the torps away from teammates as well as giving the BBs/cruisers in back some room to escape if focusfire gets too intense.

It's the same debate as TRB vs. smoke on IJN DDs. TRB means more shots at damage, but smoke means opportunity to cloak teammates as consistent damage with torps doesn't happen.

Though with the darned campfest, it's tough justifying team player POV since so many won't advance unless carried. Maybe I will play only for my ship, and if teammates get grumpy about no smoke, that's their problem.

1 hour ago, grumpymunky said:

Velocity is not reliable for hitting DDs that keep swinging beyond 10km, but yes to rest.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,176 posts
3,867 battles
8 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Problem being the limited room until have upgraded range module--time to spend FXP. At range, hitting DDs is tough--my approach has been to spot and whip them whenever possible...you are implying bothering cruisers and BBs is my job, as well as drawing potential damage.

Still, sound approach. I'll try it out tonight.

It's called Speed Tanking. Tashkent is decent at it. Khabarovsk is god at it. Tashkent teaches you how to do it in a ship where failing to do it can actually punish you, and the reward is Khabarovsk's 50mm armor plate that means you can now only be punished by certain ships.

Range upgrades are essential but what's really needed is rudder shift, the ability to change your trajectory randomly to foul incoming fire.

Edited by AraAragami

[SYN]
Members
4,525 posts
11,433 battles
30 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Not when the smoke baits the torps away from teammates as well as giving the BBs/cruisers in back some room to escape if focusfire gets too intense.

It's the same debate as TRB vs. smoke on IJN DDs. TRB means more shots at damage, but smoke means opportunity to cloak teammates as consistent damage with torps doesn't happen.

Though with the darned campfest, it's tough justifying team player POV since so many won't advance unless carried. Maybe I will play only for my ship, and if teammates get grumpy about no smoke, that's their problem.

Using the Tashkent for something like this is wasteful.  Leave that kind of thing to other DDs on your team, specifically the non-Russian ones.

Players who get frustrated and fail in the Tashkent are those who play the boat like a destroyer.  Don't do that.

Your job in the Tashkent is to be seen by the red team - usually on the opposite flank (unless there are carrier planes buzzing about), to always keep moving and never stop for anything, orbit the perimeter of wherever the fighting is occurring, and wear out your LMB.  Whenever the situation allows, position yourself so that the ships you're shooting at are close to your maximum gunnery range.  You will draw tons of return fire (potential damage exceeding well past 1 million is not uncommon) but if you kite effectively almost all of it will miss, with most shots falling behind you, and heal reverses most of the damage you do end up receiving.  You practically have cruiser levels of HP when you have a captain with Superintendent, use Premium Repair, and mount the signal that gives back 20% of your health points when used.

Again, I strongly recommend ditching the smoke, but it's your choice...

[NG-NL]
Members
4,955 posts
8,103 battles
1 hour ago, AraAragami said:

It's called Speed Tanking. Tashkent is decent at it. Khabarovsk is god at it. Tashkent teaches you how to do it in a ship where failing to do it can actually punish you, and the reward is Khabarovsk's 50mm armor plate that means you can now only be punished by certain ships.

Range upgrades are essential but what's really needed is rudder shift, the ability to change your trajectory randomly to foul incoming fire.

44 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

Using the Tashkent for something like this is wasteful.  Leave that kind of thing to other DDs on your team, specifically the non-Russian ones.

Players who get frustrated and fail in the Tashkent are those who play the boat like a destroyer.  Don't do that.

Your job in the Tashkent is to be seen by the red team - usually on the opposite flank (unless there are carrier planes buzzing about), to always keep moving and never stop for anything, orbit the perimeter of wherever the fighting is occurring, and wear out your LMB.  Whenever the situation allows, position yourself so that the ships you're shooting at are close to your maximum gunnery range.  You will draw tons of return fire (potential damage exceeding well past 1 million is not uncommon) but if you kite effectively almost all of it will miss, with most shots falling behind you, and heal reverses most of the damage you do end up receiving.  You practically have cruiser levels of HP when you have a captain with Superintendent, use Premium Repair, and mount the signal that gives back 20% of your health points when used.

Again, I strongly recommend ditching the smoke, but it's your choice...

Dreadnought flags won't be necessary until got the new Speed Tanking down pat. Just added SE to my Vodka Racer, so reasonably durable. Besides, using those flags on a DD says plainly I need carrying, so won't bother for a long time.

Already tried and found it pretty awesome. Only irritation is that your teammates have to be competent to ensure you got time to get some damage, along with firing torps at any BBs foolish enough to charge in or DDs that park in smoke.

Very delightful to find Tashkent can't fight planes. Validates the necessity of staying near friendly AA, though if the team have no AA buffs, they are still useful as meat shields. Heal's pretty nice in that teammates have to either play well or else I get to mock their stupidity while I escape.

Members
343 posts
6,782 battles

Combining the 'meh' smoke on Russian and IJN DDs, recent changes to smoke, and the refusal of many players to make use of the smoke (because it's a torp magnet) all add up to it often not really being worth the trouble of trying to lay smoke for your team.

Plus, at higher tiers, radar will expose everything anyhow.

Edited by Jarink

Members
17,764 posts
5,084 battles
11 hours ago, Reymu said:

Took the bigger guns because figured the extra pen power would mean fewer AP bounces, but in practice, barely noticed any difference. I'll await cheaper respec or grind the elite commander XP and swap MS for FP...dunno about dropping the secondaries module in slot 2, but suppose the AA range or aiming system module would work better. Can't brawl much at a tier where offense outpaces defense.

I kept the secondary module in slot 2, but put the reload module in slot 3.

24.5 sec reload with the smaller guns is nice.

From what I've been told, at the ranges where the pen difference matters, you're not hitting much anyway due to KM dispersion.

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

FDG really is tough ship to do well in .   I had secondary build, but swapped out secondary module for dispersion module  since I just couldn't make it work.   been doing ok as long as I get decent team, but it isn't  as fun.   CV in match makes it even worse (I've been seeing lot more high tier CV lately)   40k more to go.        

[SYN]
Members
4,525 posts
11,433 battles
14 hours ago, Reymu said:

Besides, using those flags on a DD says plainly I need carrying, so won't bother for a long time.

What..?

Not sure how or why anyone would get this idea.  Signals have nothing to do with bravado, but hey, whatever makes you happy...

[NG-NL]
Members
4,955 posts
8,103 battles
14 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

What..?

Not sure how or why anyone would get this idea.  Signals have nothing to do with bravado, but hey, whatever makes you happy...

Haha I know, it seems crazy to have an honor code that forbids using every advantage, but I simply enjoy the challenge of using a self-healing ship without the extra HP recovery. Means I have to play more carefully.

But given the cost of running T9-10 ships, there is a solid argument for using anything that can help survive longer.

Only ship I regularly use my 1000+ Sierra Mike flags on is Queen Elizabeth because hate that 23 knots speed. Kiev and Tashkent get it only when I feel like really being a speed demon.

Members
448 posts
7,474 battles

With the FDG you may want to consider ditching the secondary build and speccing for versatility/survivability. There simply aren't as many opportunities to get in secondary ranges in high tier matches without getting wrecked in the process, and your ship will perform better at normal high-tier BB engagement ranges with fire prevention, adrenaline rush, dispersion mod, etc.

Same deal with the Kurfurst.

Edited by Dr_Powderfinger