Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bob_ninja

Deep water torpedo visibility

11 comments in this topic

[WHIT]
Beta Testers
184 posts
12,449 battles

Trying to find info on their visibility but no luck.

Say I launch DWT towards a BB 10 km away. Torp passes under enemy DD. Do they see it? Do they see any indication of my torps?

Say there are enemy airplanes flying over DWTs I launched. Do airplanes see them? Any indication?

In other words are these torps only visible to ship classes they can actually hit, or other ships (DDs) and air units can also see them?

I assume they still have lower detectbility values while passing near enemy DD/airplanes.

[HINON]
Members
8,799 posts

Everyone can see them like normal torps but they arent spotted until they are slightly closer to the spotting entity.

[USCC2]
Members
3,419 posts

Torpedo detection range is a great measure of how effective a torpedo may be - as long as enemy ships don't see them on route to the target, or spotter planes, fighter planes, CV planes, hydro, or if Radar and RPF allow the enemy to know where the DD is (so knows where torps are coming from). If none of the above help then as long as the captain doesn't have vigilance you have a hit. :Smile_great:

But then don't forget to minus any torpedo hit reduction from the torpedo armour belts! :Smile_teethhappy:

[WHIT]
Beta Testers
184 posts
12,449 battles

So enemy DDs and airplanes can still screen for BBs like normal torps.

Also hydro/radar/vigilance are still effective for seeing them early and avoiding?

thanks

[HINON]
Supertester
18,903 posts
12,435 battles
2 minutes ago, bob_ninja said:

hydro

Spots DW torpedoes at the stated distance, so the delta of reaction time is higher with DW torps and hydro than normal torps and hydro, making hydro very valuable when there are DW torps about.

radar

Doesn't spot torpedoes. Never has.

vigilance

Extends DW spotting distance by the rated amount, so gives you a little bit more warning, but 20% above 'very little' still isn't much.

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
911 posts
6,277 battles
7 minutes ago, Lert said:

but 20% above 'very little' still isn't much.

That's where you've got to be careful with percentage based skills and buffs, a small improvement to nothing is still nothing. 

[WHIT]
Beta Testers
184 posts
12,449 battles

Thanks Lert, yeah keep getting confused hydro vs radar

So thinking out aloud, assuming a mix of cruisers and DDs, in early game DWT are pretty much same as normal torps, not much advantage as they are likely to be spotted by DD/air screen way before  they get to CAs/BBs.

Only in later game when ships are bit more dispersed and maybe less DD/airplanes they become more effective since hopefully there are less eyes.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,220 posts
8,387 battles

If I am in a ship spotting DWTs, can I tell that they are DWTs? Or will all torps appear to be the same until they do or don't hit you?

Members
266 posts
3,252 battles

Is it just me or are these DW torps just doing what IJN torps used to do, except they don't hit DDs or (maybe, they keep changing it) certain cruisers? I do have to wonder if being deeper in the water, will they hit BB torp bulges in a more advantageous location for the BB. I spent some time looking at the armor schemes of several of my BBs last night, and some of them either have bulges that are wider deeper down or some of the older ones only have bulges well below the water line. My only issue with these torps is, yeah, they don't hit shallow draft ships, but were the maneuverable shallow draft ships the ones that complained about the old IJN torps, or was it the ships that will still get hit by these? I bring this up because I'd bet that either these torps will get nerfed in the future, just like the IJN torps, or we members of the IJN DD fanclub will start raising a stink about how these boats get good guns and pretty much our old torps and the IJN DDs don't even have our old torps anymore. Akizuki, on the other hand, does pretty well for herself currently.

Edited by CaptHarlock_222

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,327 posts
9,387 battles

Couple weeks ago, they went right under an Atago.  The Takao class is a pretty big cruiser - practically a small battleship.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,567 posts
14,005 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

Spots DW torpedoes at the stated distance, so the delta of reaction time is higher with DW torps and hydro than normal torps and hydro, making hydro very valuable when there are DW torps about.

Extends DW spotting distance by the rated amount, so gives you a little bit more warning, but 20% above 'very little' still isn't much.

[Bismarck, FDG, GK laugh in German]

I remember there was a time I experimented with Vigilance, TASM1 on my GK.  Avoids torpedoes like a ballerina.  But I eventually stopped because I got tired of being spotted at what?  17-18km away and getting focus fired at the start of the match :Smile_hiding:

30 minutes ago, pikohan said:

If I am in a ship spotting DWTs, can I tell that they are DWTs? Or will all torps appear to be the same until they do or don't hit you?

https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/update-notes-main/release-notes-06-11/

Check the Deep Water Torpedoes section under New Content header.  The images:

5fb56658-9a6c-11e7-ba4d-d89d6715223c.jpg

That's what it looks like if they can't harm you.  However, if you are threatened by it it will have these unique icons with the line going with the triangle torpedo icon.

5fe8aed2-9a6c-11e7-bc92-d89d6715223c.jpg

Even Graf Zeppelin's DWT's use the same icons.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Sign in to follow this