You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Warspawned

Your Favorite (or "The Best") Tier IV Cruiser for Random and Why...

27 comments in this topic

Members
82 posts
1,292 battles

<S!>

Just now getting into randoms after playing around in co-op to learn the fundamentals for the first few hundred battles, and I find myself enjoying the cruiser play style as I get more experience in the game.

Currently, I'm really having fun in the Kuma, staying out about 12 km from reds until they get occupied, then torping and lighting them up as situations present themselves.  Just got the Phoenix, and rolling that as a gunboat with all the upgrades seems very effective (UrPeacekeeper's videos are awesome tools!)...from 14 km out you can keep lighting the bad guys up and ducking behind cover.  My next cruiser will be the Svietlana; also have the Karlsruhe (I'm terrible in it!).  Haven't really thought much about the Danae or Duguay...

What are your opinions about the cruisers of the tier?  Running 6-pt captains, and basically learning still of course (no hurry to face opponents 2 tiers above me, lol!).  Feel free to toss out what you think about a country's premiums and higher-tier ships as well!

Thanks!

~War~

[-K-]
Members
5,070 posts
8,938 battles

Phoenix built into stealth and IFHE is a fantastic weapon.  Not many players have high point T4 ships, but it is pretty fantastic if you do.

Never got much onto the Kuma bandwagon like many others.  Svietlana and Karlsruhe are decent performers, even if the latter is widely disregarded by most.

I don't recall anything memorable from Duguay-Trouin, and Danae......well, we just won't talk about Danae:Smile_hiding:

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
1,503 posts
7,364 battles

You're not bad in the Karlsruhe, the Karlsruhe is just bad.  Get past it asap, IMHO.

I had some good times in Kuma played as a torp ship,  but I think Phoenix is better all-round.

Personally, I think the Dugay-Trouin is one of the better T4 CAs. 155mm guns with an 11% burn probability, and 6km torps.

Danae is made of paper, just no.

You'll never get an Iwaki, but the Yubari is not a bad Premium choice

GLHF!

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,735 posts
7,354 battles

I have the most fun with Yubari, I do the most damage with Kuma, I get cross dropped by CV's the most with Karlsruhe, I get back to port the fastest with Dugay, I derp the most with Danae, I lose the most while leading the team with Phoenix.

[5IN]
Members
1,785 posts
8,109 battles

Personally, I enjoyed Kuma the most.  After playing a ton of games in the Isokaze, I felt the Kuma was almost an oversized version with better range and ROF.

They are all fun in their own ways, but Kuma is the one I kept, though I dont play it much anymore.

B

[HOTMC]
Members
29 posts
4,781 battles

I enjoyed playing the Kuma and Svietlana cruisers! Both have a fast game-play; but remember the difference in range for the torpedoes between the Kuma and Svietlana; I often did not, and would watch as the Svietlana's torps ranged out. Leaving me staring down the barrels of some BB.

[WOLF4]
Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles

Phoenix is stupidly overpowered with a high level captain. 

Why?

1. The ship can sit at ranges that most tier 4 battleships cannot reliably hit and just rain fire down on them.

2. The "guns all around" configuration works in its favor as the Phoenix can just keep maneuvering and always have guns on target.

3. The ship can melt destroyers if they get close. Most tier 4 destroyers torpedo ranges are short enough that, if they are spotted, they're in danger. Plus the ship has no "blind side". 

4. The ship can hold its own against tier 4 cruisers.

5. The ship has usable torpedos. 

• Cool 1

[MIA-I]
[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,712 posts
4,689 battles

Yubari is probably my favorite at that tier.  I retired it actually just because I don't want to screw up my numbers with it lol.  Not many guns but with the accuracy mod 0 it has access to they're super accurate and are a great way to fine tune and hone your gunnery skills.  It's actually too accurate if that makes sense.  Most other ships if your aim is a little off dispersion will land a few.  Yubari is so accurate unless you aim properly you'll miss.  Access to Defensive fire at that tier makes for some unhappy CV's at that level, and her torpedos are pretty good in the range department, but the arcs on them are probably some of the worse in game.  She's highly fragile though so that's something to take into account.

Pheonix is a good ship as well.  Always surprises me how fast she can be when I aiming at one and find myself having to give more lead to hit them. 

Duguay...  I had too much fun with the ship when the french lines released.  The lack of armor seems to help her a bit, AP rounds from mid/close range BB's would do negligible damage due to overpen half of the time.  Bow on through the length of the ship was devastating however.

Kuma is a little beast of a ship.  When I would take her out I'd treat her more like an oversized DD.  harass the DD's early on, pick on enemy cruisers.  She kind of falters when it comes to facing enemy BB's though.

Svietlana is a target on sight ship for me.  Good guns and her armor is wonky.  I've gotten some very surprising bounces off of her when targeting. 

Karlsruhe... just no. 

Danae....  Lots of people hate her, I did exceptionally well with her.  Squishy as heck and AP only is a bit of a learning curve with her but she teaches early on, what not to do with a British Cruiser.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,916 posts
12,446 battles

Tier 4?

Bogatyr.

"But I said tier 4, that's a tier 3!"

Yep.

• Cool 3

[LHG]
Members
1,618 posts
4,887 battles

Pretty much all the cruisers in this tier have something to recommend them but ranking them in order or my personal preference, they are ... 

1) Phoenix:  Glass ship but with LOTS of speed as well as good all around firepower that many other cruisers in this tier lack.  Torpedoes are a bit of an afterthought, mostly because you never want this ship to be close enough to an opponent to use them effectively. The guns are great and you have a fair number of them.  You want to fight at medium range where your speed can make it hard for the red ships to hit you but where you guns are going to work most effectively.  

2) Svietlana: Just bristling with 5.5 inch rapid firing guns and a bit tougher than Phoenix so you can get a bit closer to your targets if you need to without being instantly exploderated.  This actually makes her shorter range torpedoes useful on occasion because she can survive being close enough to her targets to use them on occasion.  The downside of this ship is her comparatively slow speed at 28 knots, a lack of end on firepower and the fact that, while they fire a lot of shells, they are only 5.5 inchers rather than the 6 inch guns carried by her rivals. Still, Svietlana is a pretty nice ship.

3) Duguay-Trouin:  The torpedoes on this ship are amazing.  Good range, fantastic firing arcs and lightning fast training of her launchers, and lots of them.  In this regard the Duguay-Troin, by far, carries the most powerful and best torpedo battery of any cruiser in her tier.  Her guns are arranged in twin turrets which gives her excellent all around firepower and she is fast, very fast.  

The negative of this ship is that she has practically no armor.  This can be an advantage if your facing red ships that haven't figured that out yet and engage you with AP rounds which will almost always overpenetrate. On the other hand, if the red ships know about this then things can get a little hot for you.  

4-5)  Kuma and Karlsruhe: These two both operate under similar principles and with comparable armament and build. Both are equipped with good torpedo batteries and carry torpedoes with decent range and effectiveness.  To me there are both the "average" ships of the tier, neither fantastic nor hopeless, they are just work men like and get the job done.  

6) Yubari:  I like this ship and she's quirky fun, but it's easy to see why the Japanese made only one of her and turned back to larger cruiser designs.  WOWS has also crippled her somewhat by removing her two main deck 5.5 inch guns to increase her AA batteries.  She carries torpedoes with decent range but agonizingly awful firing arcs.  In a lot of ways, she's more a large destroyer without smoke or speed boost than anything else which is not that great of a combination.   She is fun to drive and it's also fun to figure out how to use her and be effective, but a OP premium she is not. 

7) Danae:  Still haven't figured this ship out.  Since she can only fire AP rounds from her guns,she's not particularly effective against enemy dds and her ability to punish heavily armored battleships with her guns is very limited. They are pretty good at chewing up enemy cruisers so it's not all doom and gloom on this front. 

She does carry a decent torpedo battery and if she is going to be successful against larger ships, this is the way she needs to deal with them.  This brings back the whole "cruiser acting as if it were a destroyer" thing.  I will admit she is hard to hit as she's closing to make her attack and can be effective in the right hands.  Just for reference, the "right hands group" does not include myself.  I'll figure her out someday, but for now, she's at the bottom of my list. 

Hope that's helpful.  :cap_rambo:

[PVE]
Members
5,311 posts
17,764 battles

Kuma is my favorite tier 4 cruiser without a doubt. She is a really versatile boat, handles well, and can start fires all day long. Have kept her even though have gotten the Aoba because I just enjoy playing that ship. 

Members
1,334 posts
1,343 battles

Kuma, shes quite fun to play. I love how her turrets are arranged. It allows you to shift fire rather easily. Kiting is fun too. Plus her rate of fire is amazing.

Members
82 posts
1,292 battles
21 hours ago, Lert said:

Tier 4?

Bogatyr.

"But I said tier 4, that's a tier 3!"

Yep.

HAHA!  Love that ship!  Kept it and the St. Louis.  Lots of St. Lo fans here, but haven't seen the Soviet Tier III cruiser hyped up quite as much.  Kept both; figured they were worth it since I've got some free slots from the last sale.

And...when I finally join a clan, would be nice to have them available to help out newer players like I've been helped :Smile_great:

*edit:  And I just noticed I've hit the 500 battles mark, w00t!

Edited by Warspawned

Members
477 posts
62 battles

Karlsruhe / Coln all the way!!!

ppl still say she's bad but she really isn't any more. She got the 1/4 HE rule so you don't need IFHE and the AP is devastating especially at close range. Plus she had good hydro - it is truckloads of fun to contest caps with hydro and AP against low tier DDs - just try to get an island between you and the enemy BBs or it can be a short ride :-)

[OPEC]
Members
925 posts
5,108 battles

The entire low tier (and higher tier) line of French cruisers is really fun.  I waited a long time to start the line and it is currently one of my favorites (just finished the tier VIII grind and waiting to see if we get some tech tree ship discounts over the holidays)!

Speed, nimble (mostly), range, good fire starters.  Decks also come equipped with park benches for increased crew satisfaction.

Members
82 posts
1,292 battles
30 minutes ago, delp5117 said:

Decks also come equipped with park benches for increased crew satisfaction.

Ok...just gotta check that out, lol!!

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

every t4  cruisers can be played well, but they do take bit of skill.    phoenix is probably has the highest ceiling, but also high floor.       svietlana probably is easiest to be consistent on, but  would help to have   ifhe.  (I run it with ifhe, but no aft)

[SPTR]
Members
25,632 posts
10,816 battles

Kuma, just look at the comments before me on why.

I remember one of my 1st threads I made was a poll on which tier 4 ship to keep, everyone said kuma.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,019 posts
11,539 battles
On 11/17/2017 at 2:33 PM, DingBat said:

Phoenix is stupidly overpowered with a high level captain. 

Why?

1. The ship can sit at ranges that most tier 4 battleships cannot reliably hit and just rain fire down on them.

2. The "guns all around" configuration works in its favor as the Phoenix can just keep maneuvering and always have guns on target.

3. The ship can melt destroyers if they get close. Most tier 4 destroyers torpedo ranges are short enough that, if they are spotted, they're in danger. Plus the ship has no "blind side". 

4. The ship can hold its own against tier 4 cruisers.

5. The ship has usable torpedos. 

This

[ARGSY]
Members
5,779 posts
3,925 battles

The Danae is hideously hard to do HP-farming missions (e.g. Vampire) with, because she can't light fires with her main guns. Getting large numbers of kills involves having o hesitation about charging in and probably not surviving; then her ripple-fire torpedoes (with the ability to make a spread of any shape you want,  and to hold one or two per side back for after an enemy BB has made her turn) can make her really lethal. As the Duguay-Trouin being overpen city, those considerations do not apply here so much; Danae's AP is on a short fuze and will explode inside where others' might not.

Concealment and a well-timed rush are your friends, as is the practice of keeping company with battleships and attacking enemy ships from their disengaged side. You will probably secure and steal more kills than you will score outright. If you are a very good shot, you will absolutely murder destroyers and lower-tier cruisers. If the enemy ship has any armour worth speaking of and if she's angled, go for superstructures; if it offers its broadside, smack it hard.

The other thing you need to learn in both the Danae and Emerald is the art of offering your broadside just long enough to get full salvoes off when your enemy is distracted and offers theirs, then angling back in when the return fire arrives. Travel with destroyers, borrow their smoke, and protect them from other DDs and light cruisers while they cap.

The fantastic thing about the Danae is that SHE CAN REPAIR HE AND FIRE DAMAGE. I don't think any other cruiser at this tier can do that. The problem is that every other ship knows this and experienced captains will usually fire AP against you.

[PVE]
Members
497 posts
4,075 battles

Phoenix for sure. She does some real damage with her catapults shooting BBs and CLs over islands. She also has a good ROF and can wreck DDs.

Kuma is an honorable mention for similar reasons and she has better torpedoes.

Members
3,411 posts
6,072 battles

Phoenix is really good for me but the Duguay-Trouin I love.  Have not played the Karl in a long time but Duguay is my fav go back to to basics French captain trainer (only have a 12 pt captain in it now).  Played a quick game - last on my team to survive and #1 on my team in XP.

World of Warships - tier 4 cruisers.PNG

World of Warships - Duguay-Trouin - 69374.PNG

Edited by CylonRed