You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DeadMeat_015

Tesla's new semi

31 comments in this topic

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,783 posts
14,864 battles
39 minutes ago, mohawkdriver said:

Range under full load:  25KM

That will make over the road travel somewhat difficult.

[SYN]
Members
457 posts
8,285 battles
55 minutes ago, mohawkdriver said:

Range under full load:  25KM

According to the article I most kindly provide you sir, you would see the Tesla claims it will do 500 miles with a 80,000 lbs load. That might be hype as this was just an media event, but it shows what they expect to achieve. The range is quite good enough for Companies that have distribution systems like Wal-Mart and could benefit greatly with the lowered maintenance costs.   

Edited by DeadMeat_015

Alpha Tester
4,757 posts
2,411 battles

I'll trust electric vehicles once they are consistently made with the same range and speed capabilities as gas-powered ones. Otherwise, it's just change that isn't an overall improvement.

Supertester
2,589 posts
8,303 battles
14 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

I'll trust electric vehicles once they are consistently made with the same range and speed capabilities as gas-powered ones. Otherwise, it's just change that isn't an overall improvement.

Speed isn't the issue with electric cars, that's an easy fix. Range and recharge are. 

Until we get the next leap in battery tech, electric won't be viable without the massive subsidies it gets now. 

My personal litmus test for electric is:

-Does it drive like a gas car performance wise? (handles well/not underpowered) {check} 

-Same range as my gas car on a full tank {nope} 

-Same time to full range as it takes to fill my gas tank {LEL nope} 

Until you can check all three boxes, I personally don't consider them viable. 

[PVE]
Members
1,226 posts
4,763 battles

Worthless as OTR this is daycab local only or as a yard hack. 80k gross weight same as most trks... I'll keep my Western Star thank you...

[SYN]
Members
457 posts
8,285 battles
9 minutes ago, Show_Me_Your_Cits said:

Speed isn't the issue with electric cars, that's an easy fix. Range and recharge are. 

Until we get the next leap in battery tech, electric won't be viable without the massive subsidies it gets now. 

-Does it drive like a gas car performance wise? (handles well/not underpowered) {check} 

well Tesla claims 0-60 in 5.0 seconds, even with a trailer. At max gross weight of 80,000 pounds, it does the 0-60 sprint in 20 seconds. It can do 65 miles per hour up a five-percent grade at that weight . Has 1,032 total HP. (But they have not released any ft-lb of torque yet .So if this is not all [edited] its got the performance part covered

Edited by DeadMeat_015

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,233 posts
8,804 battles
42 minutes ago, Show_Me_Your_Cits said:

Without a huge leap in battery tech, range (250 miles minimum even in extreme cold) & recharge rates (25% to 95 - 100% in a few minutes like a gas or diesel vehicle), and lots of additional infrastructure pure electrics will never be more than a niche vehicle. There are a lot of people that do not have access to power where they park making them a non starter for every day use. Of the high tech alternatives for the future hydrogen fuel cell looks the best but that also needs new infrastructure

[CTF80]
[CTF80]
Members
4,210 posts
10,225 battles
11 hours ago, DeadMeat_015 said:

According to the article I most kindly provide you sir, you would see the Tesla claims it will do 500 miles with a 80,000 lbs load. That might be hype as this was just an media event, but it shows what they expect to achieve. The range is quite good enough for Companies that have distribution systems like Wal-Mart and could benefit greatly with the lowered maintenance costs.   

I'm quite sure you're right.  I was being more facetious than anything else, knowing what I know about Teslas in general.  I imagine, in time, the electric vehicles will eclipse gas powered cars, but until then, I won't pay for the technology.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
14,380 posts
10,248 battles

Tesla built this to solve their own supply chain problem. They needed a truck that could transfer batteries from one warehouse to their packaging factory.

Enter Tesla's own solution solver.

The 30min quick charge time is quicker than the time it takes to load or unload a trailer, so the downtime isn't a problem.

Beta Testers
1,222 posts
8,387 battles

The advantage with electric powered trucks is reduced maintenance over head over diesel trucks. If you have a large fleet of trucks making regional deliveries this adds up, especially as your fleet ages. 

1,542 posts
26 battles
On 17/11/2017 at 0:43 PM, DeadMeat_015 said:

I feel that electric vehicles need a lot of recharging for long journeys, wouldn't there have to be recharge areas in the middle of nowhere? Sounds like there's a lot to figure out before it really takes off. It is pretty though.....

[SYN]
Members
457 posts
8,285 battles

From the stuff I was reading Tesla will be investing in charging places. Also a great many companies like Walmart have distribution centers that distribute inside the 500 mile range the truck is supposed to do. So being back to home base every night to charge, the companies would be able to save a significant sum of money on fuel/maintenance. 

43 minutes ago, WolfofWarship said:

I feel that electric vehicles need a lot of recharging for long journeys, wouldn't there have to be recharge areas in the middle of nowhere? Sounds like there's a lot to figure out before it really takes off. It is pretty though.....

• Cool 1

1,542 posts
26 battles
9 minutes ago, DeadMeat_015 said:

From the stuff I was reading Tesla will be investing in charging places. Also a great many companies like Walmart have distribution centers that distribute inside the 500 mile range the truck is supposed to do. So being back to home base every night to charge, the companies would be able to save a significant sum of money on fuel/maintenance. 

That's really exciting! Will be interesting to see what differences it can make. A lot cleaner than gas isn't it? I can't say I am very educated on the subject, but any new innovation has got to be a source of excitement!

[SYN]
Members
457 posts
8,285 battles
1 minute ago, WolfofWarship said:

That's really exciting! Will be interesting to see what differences it can make. A lot cleaner than gas isn't it? I can't say I am very educated on the subject, but any new innovation has got to be a source of excitement!

Yes the next 20 years are going to be interesting when it comes to automated and electric vehicles. Tesla is already taking orders too, so this is no pipe dream https://arstechnica.com/cars/2017/11/whos-putting-money-down-for-a-tesla-semi/ 

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
5,343 posts
17,834 battles
20 minutes ago, WolfofWarship said:

LOL the carbon footprint of electric vehicles is huge. The manufacturing of them is off the scale in comparison to fossil fuel based vehicles and where do you think the electricity to power those things comes from? If you are in the US, it is more than likely oil, natural gas, or coal fired power plants... Doesn't anyone ever bother to ask themselves why there isn't a solar powered solar panel factory? The only way electrical vehicles can overcome this with today's technology is with nuclear power plants, something that the eco people would have a stroke about... Electric vehicles have been around as long or longer than (I forget which one is older) than gasoline powered cars. You have to remember the reason they died out is the energy potential of oil is so vastly superior. Oil and using oil to power our machines, freed workers and animals to create modern society. Building more efficient vehicles is a far better use of time IMHO. 

Edited by Taylor3006

1,542 posts
26 battles
3 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

LOL the carbon footprint of electric vehicles is huge. The manufacturing of them is off the scale in comparison to fossil fuel based vehicles and where do you think the electricity to power those things comes from? If you are in the US, it is more than likely oil, natural gas, or coal fired power plants... Doesn't anyone ever bother to ask themselves why there isn't a solar powered solar panel factory? The only way electrical vehicles can overcome this with today's technology is with nuclear power plants, something that the eco people would have a stroke about... 

Again, I'm not very educated about the subject, but isn't nuclear a much better/cleaner energy source? I didn't think about the creation of the electricity and the transportation of resources. That is an excellent point

[PVE]
Members
5,343 posts
17,834 battles
5 minutes ago, WolfofWarship said:

Again, I'm not very educated about the subject, but isn't nuclear a much better/cleaner energy source? I didn't think about the creation of the electricity and the transportation of resources. That is an excellent point

Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of electric powered stuff but only after we master a way to generate electricity large scale in a clean and safe way. Nuclear has a pretty good history, fewer people have been killed in nuclear power production in its entire history than say coal mining or oil production in just a few years. Unfortunately the nuclear plant disaster at Chernobyl gave the anti nuke people entirely too much ammo to really kill it here in the US. It is a shame that hybrid has not been fully taken advantage of. Small vehicles with small gas powered engines as well as a electric motor would be far superior and is quite doable with today's technology. The idea of generating electricity when propelling the car in amounts that would keep the electric batteries charged is a brilliant idea and should have gotten more traction. Also getting people into smaller vehicles should have been a priority, unfortunately politicians felt the need to keep US car companies going instead of letting them fail and restructure so they could redesign and compete with the fuel efficient stuff from Japan. Many Americans are commuting to work in essentially commercial vehicles under the banner of safety and it is a shame. I commute 16 miles a day to work. I own a four cylinder car, have since the late 80's, to do daily commuting. I also own a truck that I drive only when I need a truck or if having car problems. I spend $10 a week on gas. My neighbor owns a pickup truck with 8 cylinders and commutes 120 miles a day... He complains about having to fuel up all the time and about how much he spends. I told him to get a small car to commute and just use the truck when he needs a truck. He thinks I am the idiot. 

[SYN]
Members
14,380 posts
10,248 battles

The answer to power is a mix of solar, wind, nuclear and batteries that can store excess energy generated by solar and wind.

Nuclear (preferably less dangerous ones, like Thorium and pebble reactors) provide the backbone of energy. Nuclear requires that it be built somewhat close to high energy consumption areas, which is where humans live, and building them too distantly from the consumer causes all sorts of efficiency and maintenance issues.

Solar provides extra energy during the day and can be distributed on existing buildings. If combined with some form of high capacity battery, it doesn't have to be lithium, then this extra saved energy can be used to meet peak demands and usage at night.

Wind is further supplemental, but it too benefits from being connected to a battery, so that stored energy is available during high demand.

While the carbon footprint of energy required to produce batteries and solar panels is initially high, the more they replace fossil fuel sourced electricity, the lower their carbon footprint becomes.

There will always be a base carbon footprint for extracting all the natural resources from the earth. That is unavoidable.

Another nice thing about distributed power production and storage, is that it is easier to recover power if the main powerlines to the major power sources are knocked out. e.g. Costa Rica

Edited by MrDeaf
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,233 posts
8,804 battles

Nuclear is dead, between NIMBY and the fear of accidents no new plants are going to built.

Back to the OP electric vehicles have two hurdles to get them past being niche vehicles. The first is range, to be viable they need a real world range of 250 - 300 miles even in sub zero weather. The second is the refuel/recharge rate needs to be very close to the 10 minutes for another 200 miles plus that internal combustion vehicles currently enjoy.

[SYN]
Members
457 posts
8,285 battles
25 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Back to the OP electric vehicles have two hurdles to get them past being niche vehicles. The first is range, to be viable they need a real world range of 250 - 300 miles even in sub zero weather. The second is the refuel/recharge rate needs to be very close to the 10 minutes for another 200 miles plus that internal combustion vehicles currently enjoy.

I agree with you that it is not a currently viable technology when it come to trucking. I am not a Tesla employee or shareholder, but they do claim they have a 500 mile range. The cold, they didnt say, but you have a very good point there, I90 thru Idaho into Washington, I80 from Reno to Sacromento in winter, just to name two spots, that they will have to prove that they can handle interstate trucking. But west of the Mississippi the interstates are ripe for these "platooning" convoys of one driver leading many automated electric trucks like a train. The infrastructure is already there in the form of Flying J Truck Stops (and 2-ish other big truck stops, like them my mind is drawing a blank) with even enough space to store some trucks while waiting for next driver or weather. My biggest fear is the workers that these could replace. I wont get into politics, but I think you would have to be a idiot not to recognize the US is not handling automation well.  

Edited by DeadMeat_015

[SYN]
Members
14,380 posts
10,248 battles

These Tesla trucks do around 500miles and have a 30min charge time to 95%

From what I hear, 30mins is around the same time as loading and unloading the trailer.

They are well suited for Tesla and Walmart.

Edited by MrDeaf
  • Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,233 posts
8,804 battles
1 hour ago, MrDeaf said:

These Tesla trucks do around 500miles and have a 30min charge time to 95%

From what I hear, 30mins is around the same time as loading and unloading the trailer.

They are well suited for Tesla and Walmart.

Thirty minutes would probably be acceptable for over the road trucks as the rate for diesels is already above 20 minutes now.