You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dseehafer

Battleship Texas to be scrapped for parts? Battleship Texas Foundation launches last-ditch effort to save the ship...

17 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,856 posts
3,680 battles

Greetings all,

First official statement I've heard that the Foundation is seriously considering scrapping her...

PASADENA, Texas - Battleship Texas scrapped for parts? There is concern for the future of the 103-year-old ship.

Supporters are hoping a trendy idea can help preserve this piece of history.

“It’s the only surviving U.S. ship that served in both World War I and World War II,” said Bruce Bramlett. “The ship was at D-Day, it was at the North Africa shore, it was at Okinawa and Iwo Jima,”

Bramlett is the Executive Director for the Battleship Texas Foundation.

“No. It is not some reproduction. It is the real deal.” he said.

“Basically a decision will have to be made either to scrap the ship, which means to dismantle it and do away with it, or it has to come out of the water,” said Bramlett.

Over the years, the foundation has asked for donations through fundraisers and mailers. This year, in what could be considered a last ditch effort, the foundation is creating a music video.

The video is currently being shot onboard Battleship Texas and will be released as part of a national ad campaign in December.

The foundation hopes, with enough support and calls to state lawmakers, the State of Texas will spend money to move the ship to dry land rather than scrapping it for parts.

On a Texas Parks and Wildlife website, the state outlines repairs to the ship that are happening right now.

They should wrap up in late 2018, according to Texas Parks and Wildfire. The future, according to park rangers is to preserve the ship by removing it from the water and placing it on a base through a process called dry berth. 

© 2017 KHOU-TV

Members
121 posts

Dear god no she is a national treasure that kicked alot of rear , please don't let them scrap her tweet the president email him to help , and write a letter to the white house to preserve this national monument.

[GRFOX]
Members
2,205 posts
4,521 battles

Trust me it will be dry berthed it pretty much could be right now as all the would need to do is fill in the pond it sits in with dirt.

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,522 posts
3,514 battles

I read this article, it is click bait at its fullest, I'm part of the official Texas Facebook page and they already dismissed this article

• Cool 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,268 posts

The obvious is not to them... a music video? How about political action?! I'd be bummed if they spent my $15 towards producing a music video. No wonder she's rotting where she sits... 

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
1,525 posts
903 battles
5 hours ago, HowitzerBlitzer said:

What would be the cost of scrapping the ship? I know that stripping a ship that large of parts isn't cheap.

Scrapping usually costs nothing because the breakers sell off all the scrap for a profit. Usually breakers have to buy a ship before they scrap it. This is why scrapping wins most of the time.....

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles
6 hours ago, GreyFox78659 said:

Trust me it will be dry berthed it pretty much could be right now as all the would need to do is fill in the pond it sits in with dirt.

You need money for that. That's the issue, they have no money. And the money they do have gets sucked up repairing the leaks that spring up here and there every now and again.

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles
5 hours ago, Psycodiver said:

I read this article, it is click bait at its fullest, I'm part of the official Texas Facebook page and they already dismissed this article

I wouldn't have posted it if I believed it was click-bait. It's literally all over the place on many respectable news outlets...

http://www.mysanantonio.com/neighborhood/pasadena/news/article/Battleship-Texas-needs-citizens-to-rally-to-save-11750909.php

https://www.houstoniamag.com/articles/2017/6/28/battleship-texas-leaks-and-fundraising

http://thisainthell.us/blog/?p=73151

You're obviously not part of the OFFICIAL Texas facebook page because the OFFICIAL "Battleship Texas Foundation" Facebook page is the one that posted the article in the first place. Hell, they even have posted bits and pieces of the music video that they've been working on. 

https://www.facebook.com/battleshiptexas/

[REVY]
Members
6,014 posts
5,102 battles

The Mikasa was removed out of the water.  Would that help the Texas?  Saltwater is after all, terribly corrosive.

[HINON]
8,856 posts
3,680 battles
2 hours ago, Mammoth_Tank_MKI said:

Just went to their facebook page and I don't see the article.

HzDuGRM.png?1

[5IN]
Members
1,784 posts
8,105 battles

Texas is a National Historical Landmark... wouldn't scrapping it be an issue due to its status?

Btw, thanks for posting this @dseehafer, quality work as always.:Smile_honoring:

B

Members
819 posts
3,823 battles
28 minutes ago, bassmasta76 said:

Texas is a National Historical Landmark... wouldn't scrapping it be an issue due to its status?

Btw, thanks for posting this @dseehafer, quality work as always.:Smile_honoring:

B

Sadly not as much as you would think. I've met a few veterans and older individuals through out my young life who have told me it makes them smile to meet the few younger individuals out there who still have a real interest in history as they noticed more and people don't seem care about history anymore and it hurts them as these few relics are one of the few ways for new generations to grasp/educate the scope of their efforts an sacrifices made on their behalf which shaped the modern world they now live in.

Edited by Magic_Fighting_Tuna
  • Cool 1

[ERN]
Members
590 posts
8,188 battles
On 11/17/2017 at 7:48 PM, Magic_Fighting_Tuna said:

Sadly not as much as you would think. I've met a few veterans and older individuals through out my young life who have told me it makes them smile to meet the few younger individuals out there who still have a real interest in history as they noticed more and people don't seem care about history anymore and it hurts them as these few relics are one of the few ways for new generations to grasp/educate the scope of their efforts an sacrifices made on their behalf which shaped the modern world they now live in.

Sad, but true. It's also sad that Texas isn't the only historic vessel that has an uncertain future. Vessels including the American ocean liner SS United States and the British liner Queen Elizabeth 2 for example, also are suffering from the fact that their existence hang in the balance between being preserved or being scrapped. It all depends on the acknowledgement of their existence, the amount of people who want them saved, as well as how much people are willing to spend to save them.

Edited by XXRed_DawnXX
  • Cool 1

Members
280 posts
9,269 battles

As I understand it, the lower part of the hull, especially around the expansion engines, is in bad condition from saltwater immersion, and they feel it would not be able to support the weight of the ship if dry berthed. Alot of the work will require shoring up these areas before it can be safely removed from the water...expensive & nasty work no doubt...

Edited by bigalow87