You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

How's the Bot Policing Going? AFK's ?

24 comments in this topic

Herr_Reitz    1,274

Two things I believe have increased this week, as far as seeing them taking place. Bots. AFK's. 

AFK's first. Yes, tonight I went AFK at the start of a match. Heard an unknown noise in the house, a thump/thud. Woke the wife up. Did a quick check saw nothing. So got the dog and did a quick check of the backyard and all windows. Good. Checked inner rooms and found the culprit. A wet towel had fallen onto the floor, slipping off the rack on the bathroom door. Got back to the match and played, apologizing to the team. Man they were great - all said no problem. We won. But AFK's do happen. You have to check stuff like that out, you know. 

But Bots playing games for players. It seemed this week they're on the rise. When a ship is sailing in a straight line looking at nothing in particular with their guns whilst half the red fleet approaches and fires on them from the starboard side, something's wrong. I was playing my Tirpitz so it's not like we're down in the lower tiers. At T8 and above matches uhm... you shouldn't be seeing people play like that... it may have been a person... 

What I'd like to know - if anyone knows for sure - is WoWS/WG tracking/intercepting bot software in matches these days? 

And does anyone know if they monitor AFK's for players?

Just curious I guess. 

Oh and say -  isn't that prize for keeping your nose clean due about now? 

• Cool 3

awiggin    1,956

The signs say...Nyet:Smile_teethhappy:

And this doesn't even show the botters smart enough to block their stats...

X2T7LK5.png

Edited by awiggin
  • Cool 2

KingCakeBaby    198

I do believe if you start a match and the client drops you or the game crashes your ship continues on the same course and speed and your guns stay trained in the same direction until you return to the match. If the game allows you to log in and load up before the match finishes. This has happened to me several times when my internet crashes twenty seconds into the match and when I manage to rejoin my ship has sailed or sunk way out in the middle of nowhere.

I feel like the case for dropped games and people who get phone calls or have something unexpected happen that requires their attention after clicking the battle button is far more likely a culprit than bots and cheats.

• Cool 3

Snargfargle    680
8 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Heard an unknown noise in the house, a thump/thud. Woke the wife up. Did a quick check saw nothing. So got the dog and did a quick check of the backyard and all windows. Good. Checked inner rooms and found the culprit. A wet towel had fallen onto the floor, slipping off the rack on the bathroom door.

:Smile_great:

8 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Yes, tonight I went AFK at the start of a match. Heard an unknown noise in the house, a thump/thud. Woke the wife up. Did a quick check saw nothing. So got the dog and did a quick check of the backyard and all windows. Good. Checked inner rooms and found the culprit. A wet towel had fallen onto the floor, slipping off the rack on the bathroom door.

Just play with a loaded gun within easy reach*.  I use my Walther PPK case(with gun in it of course) to prop up my  laptop cooling fan gizmo , which is under my laptop, It gives a better slant angle for my keyboard/laptop too. I play laying in bed.

Got a loaded AK-47 sitting in the corner too, but I dang sure would not use that thing inside the house LOL

*, yes I realize this can be a fountain for comments.

Edited by Strachwitz666
  • Cool 1

Lord_Slayer    87
7 hours ago, KingCakeBaby said:

I do believe if you start a match and the client drops you or the game crashes your ship continues on the same course and speed and your guns stay trained in the same direction until you return to the match.

Actually I'm fairly sure if you get dropped, it's just like you put the ship in full stop. The ship moves a bit further as it slows, the rudder goes back to zero degrees of turn if you were turning, and the turrets move to the 'rest' position pointing fore and aft.

If it's a net drop/game crash, as soon as you login you are sent to the battle instead of port. If you yourself exit to port while your ship is still alive.....well....no you can't rejoin.

I've run into the game crash / net drop issue a few times. Each time my ship was just about where I was when the game went down, with turrets moving back into position from 'rest'

• Cool 3

VGLance    1,023
10 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Two things I believe have increased this week, as far as seeing them taking place. Bots. AFK's. 

AFK's first. Yes, tonight I went AFK at the start of a match. Heard an unknown noise in the house, a thump/thud. Woke the wife up. Did a quick check saw nothing. So got the dog and did a quick check of the backyard and all windows. Good. Checked inner rooms and found the culprit. A wet towel had fallen onto the floor, slipping off the rack on the bathroom door. Got back to the match and played, apologizing to the team. Man they were great - all said no problem. We won. But AFK's do happen. You have to check stuff like that out, you know. 

But Bots playing games for players. It seemed this week they're on the rise. When a ship is sailing in a straight line looking at nothing in particular with their guns whilst half the red fleet approaches and fires on them from the starboard side, something's wrong. I was playing my Tirpitz so it's not like we're down in the lower tiers. At T8 and above matches uhm... you shouldn't be seeing people play like that... it may have been a person... 

What I'd like to know - if anyone knows for sure - is WoWS/WG tracking/intercepting bot software in matches these days? 

Just curious I guess. 

I run a program that shows me everyone's stats in amazing detail. Any time I suspect someone of botting I look at the number of games played and 9/10 times the number is very low. Too low to properly conclude they are botting, at least consistently. Granted they could have just started using the bot program but that isn't enough to accuse someone.

Does it really matter though? We have a massive population of players who are actively playing and are actually worse than bots. The only solution available is to be unicum and div with two other unicums to make up for those on your team with the intelligence of a speed bump. 

Skpstr    1,454
1 hour ago, Strachwitz666 said:

Just play with a loaded gun within easy reach*.

Tell me you swap mags periodically. (as in the spare mag isn't loaded until you do the swap)

I noticed what I believe was my first actual bot yesterday. Last ship alive was a DD, and it kept at max range from the nearest enemy, continuously ripple firing, and the shells falling behind the ship at the same distance every time, as if it was just aimed at center mass of the ship, but not accounting for speed.

It kind of sucked, as it was the last ship we had, with 3 enemies left. We were far enough ahead on points, all he had to do was go dark and run away until the timer ran out, instead of remaining perma-lit until destroyed.

Edited by Skpstr

CylonRed    153

There really is no way to definitively say a bot is in the game.  Had a couple AFKs in the week - no more than what has been in the past and far less than other times.  Do remember AFKs can also be caused by internet issues which will affect a good number of people when it happens.  Those not affected will not know about the potential issue as well.

bewbs_    36

The ONLY times I've ever gone AFK are due to either game crashes and or super slow load in's that randomly happen every couple hundred games or so... Though they have happened more frequently around some patch times, somewhere around 6.3-6.7 it was really bad iirc.

KingCakeBaby    198
2 hours ago, Lord_Slayer said:

Actually I'm fairly sure if you get dropped, it's just like you put the ship in full stop. The ship moves a bit further as it slows, the rudder goes back to zero degrees of turn if you were turning, and the turrets move to the 'rest' position pointing fore and aft.

If it's a net drop/game crash, as soon as you login you are sent to the battle instead of port. If you yourself exit to port while your ship is still alive.....well....no you can't rejoin.

I've run into the game crash / net drop issue a few times. Each time my ship was just about where I was when the game went down, with turrets moving back into position from 'rest'

Interesting. I wonder why my ship is sometimes a lot farther than it was when I crashed. Even with a small amount of coasting it doesn't really account for the distance traveled.

Skpstr    1,454
1 hour ago, VGLance said:

Does it really matter though? We have a massive population of players who are actively playing and are actually worse than bots. The only solution available is to be unicum and div with two other unicums to make up for those on your team with the intelligence of a speed bump. 

Of course it matters. There's a difference between not doing your part due to ignorance (even if wilful) and lack of intelligence, and not doing it because you're too lazy and dishonest to play the game in the first place.

I have a friend or two that are literally dullards, that live in cheap rented apartments, and do tedious manual labour for low wages. I don't have any friends that lay on their couches watching Jerry Springer, collecting welfare and/or disability for conditions long since healed.

Edited by Skpstr

AraAragami    5,024
10 hours ago, KingCakeBaby said:

I do believe if you start a match and the client drops you or the game crashes your ship continues on the same course and speed and your guns stay trained in the same direction until you return to the match. If the game allows you to log in and load up before the match finishes. This has happened to me several times when my internet crashes twenty seconds into the match and when I manage to rejoin my ship has sailed or sunk way out in the middle of nowhere.

I feel like the case for dropped games and people who get phone calls or have something unexpected happen that requires their attention after clicking the battle button is far more likely a culprit than bots and cheats.

Negative. If your game drops and you have to restart the client, your ship stops moving and the guns move to centerline.

It's happened to me before. I have experience with this.

Edited by AraAragami

Megrim3    75
11 hours ago, KingCakeBaby said:

No, the ship that hasn't moved all game and gets 0xp at the end is an Afker. Even if you crash you have time to get back into a game and do something before it's over usually. Especially when his guns are turned. No excuse, you get a report. Clans need to know if your continually afk, karma is something they look at. 

VGLance    1,023
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

Of course it matters. There's a difference between not doing your part due to ignorance (even if wilful) and lack of intelligence, and not doing it because you're too lazy and dishonest to play the game in the first place.

I have a friend or two that are literally dullards, that live in cheap rented apartments, and do tedious manual labour for low wages. I don't have any friends that lay on their couches watching Jerry Springer, collecting welfare and/or disability for conditions long since healed.

What I mean is that unless we can know for sure if they are botting or not, there's really no point in fussing about it, especially when you have players playing worse than bots.

I care more about results.  I'll take a bot over someone playing worse than a bot any day.  The greater the results, the greater the fun.  It's just that simple.  It's no different than outside the game.  Take your two examples.  The guy might be doing tedious manual labor but he's being productive, he's producing results.  He's contributing to the welfare of society ("team"—after all, we're all in this society of man together) while the other one is leeching from it.  At the surface, a lesser mind would think that I'm supporting your analogy, but in reality, it shows your analogy is not connected to my point, and therefore is not valid to refute my point.

There are two issues on the table:

1. Bots vs. live players and how they contribute to fun for players that are results-oriented
  2. Presence of botters and the moral implications

I'm focusing on 1 and 2 with the majority emphasis on 1 simply because WG will never implement what I've suggested which is setting a performance requirement (extremely low standard that only toxic trolls would argue is unjustified) just above bot productivity that would disable random battles (they can still play co-op) until they maintained above that standard in co-op for a period of x number of games.  That suggestion shows my interest in addressing 2.

You're just arguing 2.

Lord_Slayer    87
1 hour ago, KingCakeBaby said:

Interesting. I wonder why my ship is sometimes a lot farther than it was when I crashed. Even with a small amount of coasting it doesn't really account for the distance traveled.

Depends on the ship and speed you were going. Some can coast for quite a bit. One of the many things a smoking RN CL has to consider, even throwing the engines into reverse, they need to wait for the right speed to begin smoking or they drift through it.

It's also possible it take a moment for the server to realize you've dropped, possibly believing it to be a lag spike.

Also I have seen a few people ram an 'AFK' ship and push it further forward.

Skpstr    1,454
23 minutes ago, VGLance said:

What I mean is that unless we can know for sure if they are botting or not, there's really no point in fussing about it, especially when you have players playing worse than bots.

I care more about results.  I'll take a bot over someone playing worse than a bot any day.  The greater the results, the greater the fun.  It's just that simple.  It's no different than outside the game.  Take your two examples.  The guy might be doing tedious manual labor but he's being productive, he's producing results.  He's contributing to the welfare of society ("team"—after all, we're all in this society of man together) while the other one is leeching from it.  At the surface, a lesser mind would think that I'm supporting your analogy, but in reality, it shows your analogy is not connected to my point, and therefore is not valid to refute my point.

There are two issues on the table:

1. Bots vs. live players and how they contribute to fun for players that are results-oriented
  2. Presence of botters and the moral implications

I'm focusing on 1 and 2 with the majority emphasis on 1 simply because WG will never implement what I've suggested which is setting a performance requirement (extremely low standard that only toxic trolls would argue is unjustified) just above bot productivity that would disable random battles (they can still play co-op) until they maintained above that standard in co-op for a period of x number of games.  That suggestion shows my interest in addressing 2.

You're just arguing 2.

I agree, I'm only arguing 2. Mainly because I don't believe there's enough botting going on to affect results either way.

I mean, you could get into the possibility that, even though the bot wins more in general, maybe the bad player serves as better cannon fodder or gets lucky, helping me to have a better positive influence, thus being better for my winrate. At your skill level, there would indeed be no difference.

Just like a person making a six-figure salary taking a 10% pay cut may notice only that they have less money to invest, where someone surfing the poverty line taking that pay cut might have to start deciding whether or not they can afford to drive to work, and take the bus instead.

There may not be a difference in results, but there is a difference. Principles are important.

Edited by Skpstr

KingCakeBaby    198
48 minutes ago, Lord_Slayer said:

Depends on the ship and speed you were going. Some can coast for quite a bit. One of the many things a smoking RN CL has to consider, even throwing the engines into reverse, they need to wait for the right speed to begin smoking or they drift through it.

It's also possible it take a moment for the server to realize you've dropped, possibly believing it to be a lag spike.

Also I have seen a few people ram an 'AFK' ship and push it further forward.

I suppose it's probable that my game lags a bit before finally dropping me. I stand corrected, carry on. 

AraAragami    5,024
1 hour ago, Megrim3 said:

No, the ship that hasn't moved all game and gets 0xp at the end is an Afker. Even if you crash you have time to get back into a game and do something before it's over usually. Especially when his guns are turned. No excuse, you get a report. Clans need to know if your continually afk, karma is something they look at. 

Most of the time. The only time I've "AFKed" from a game was because WoWS crashed so hard that it took me 30 minutes to get my computer to run, much less restart WoWS.

And before you blame my PC, I traced the crash to a coding error in the game client itself which caused it to start consuming 100% of both RAM and CPU. When the fans started up it sounded like a damn helicopter taking off.

• Cool 1

awiggin    1,956
On 11/16/2017 at 9:11 PM, Herr_Reitz said:

Just curious I guess. 

Was messing around in the Scenario tonight, doing some tier 6 ship grind on ships i wouldn't normally play.

Played 4 games, in every game there was at least one completely hapless premium. Normally I don't bother looking at stats, it's just not worth it, and I know we have a weak player base, but just for fun, I looked up these guys.

I looked up six of them, each of the players had under 1k games, and their stats all seemed to look like this.......

6gZl14G.png

Most of them died early or hid in the back and got carried thru to mostly 5 star wins.....

Herr_Reitz    1,274

Well... i do recall reading, in the early days of WoWS, of folks building "profiles" which they later sold... fully ground lines, maybe with a premium or two... of course you'd have to sell them to people who could care less about stats, who's sole focus was on having the ships. But there couldn't be that many buyers, could there? 

I suppose I could see someone grinding a single ship with a bot, but where's the joy in doing it? It's why I am not sure there is any reason to grind using a bot. 

As they used to say in school, "it takes all types." 

Rabbitt81    17

The bot-type activity that I see in random looks like this.

A ship that goes about a quarter speed and always really slow, usually doesn't fire, and sails straight toward the reds. Never changes speed no matter what is happening.

I see this on both my team and the red team just about nightly. Now that I have mentioned it keep an eye out for these ships.

It has to be bots because an actual player would not go super slow without firing or changing course. It's not afk causing it and even extreme lag would still change speed/direction/fire.