You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Seadog_Supreme

Full STEAM Ahead!

24 comments in this topic

[HINON]
Members
8,778 posts

Do bear in mind those are divided among all the servers. The numbers are increasing but it might take some time to see the full effect.

[SYN]
Members
457 posts
8,210 battles
57 minutes ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

As you can see from this Steam screenshot, we are getting a major bump! This is 10:48 EST.

steam.jpg

edit (its back request irrelevant) 

Edited by DeadMeat_015

Members
9,861 posts
1 hour ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

As you can see from this Steam screenshot, we are getting a major bump! This is 10:48 EST.

steam.jpg

And yet were still only hitting 12k peak. If that's a number for all servers, it's pretty sad.And it means we probably got like 200 players?

And this fantasy that it will build slowly? People on steam jump on a new exciting game, if they didn't jump on it....it clearly isn't exciting many of them.:cap_hmm:

It boggles my mind that people somehow think Steam is somehow going to solve WG's retention issues.

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
3 minutes ago, awiggin said:

It boggles my mind that people somehow think Steam is somehow going to solve WG's retention issues.

I'm not sure anyone gives a crap. 

There will be no "retention issues." People will come, get to tier 5. Get bored and leave and a few will stay. More will come in, click a few buttons until tier 5 and leave again. 

There's no retention issue- a few stalwarts will stay. An absolutely epic majority will leave. 

Meanwhile WG wades around trying to draft every last penny out of whoever will see promise in the game. Yay make billions for the owner! 

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I won't expect a super container for awhile. 

• Cool 1

Members
17,667 posts
5,082 battles
9 hours ago, awiggin said:

And yet were still only hitting 12k peak. If that's a number for all servers, it's pretty sad.And it means we probably got like 200 players?

And this fantasy that it will build slowly? People on steam jump on a new exciting game, if they didn't jump on it....it clearly isn't exciting many of them.:cap_hmm:

I agree. How many of those will actually stick with the game?

Still, it's better than nothing. And retention is always going to be an issue with a game of this type. Many people are going to jump in, expecting a nautical-flavored CoD, and will be disappointed when it turns out to be more complex. (if they even get past the frustration to figure that out)

Makes me wonder about WoT. I'd expect similar retention, but maybe the idea of battling tanks as opposed to slower-paced warships made for a bigger initial draw in the first place.

Members
5,571 posts
3,925 battles

There isn't an issue. WG makes so much money from their small base that they don't need a lot of players.

[RIPQP]
Members
1,019 posts
8,386 battles
11 hours ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

steam.jpg

WoW's goes on Steam within weeks when we will get the best discounts and bundles :Smile_sceptic: ... nice move WG, nice move.  

[PC]
Members
1,866 posts
2 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

And retention is always going to be an issue with a game of this type. Many people are going to jump in, expecting a nautical-flavored CoD, and will be disappointed when it turns out to be more complex. (if they even get past the frustration to figure that out)

The complexity is going to cause some new players to drop out. On the other hand, it helps with long-term retention of another type of player. My Steam account is littered with easy-peasy games I abandoned within weeks. I know from some friends that that's what they want: something to play for a little while, then on to the next game.

Members
17,667 posts
5,082 battles
7 minutes ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

The complexity is going to cause some new players to drop out. On the other hand, it helps with long-term retention of another type of player. My Steam account is littered with easy-peasy games I abandoned within weeks. I know from some friends that that's what they want: something to play for a little while, then on to the next game.

Yup, I typically have two games on the go at a time; a long-term more complex game, as well as a short-term game that changes regularly, for when I just want to shut my brain off and play.

[PC]
Members
1,866 posts
Just now, Skpstr said:

Yup, I typically have two games on the go at a time; a long-term more complex game, as well as a short-term game that changes regularly, for when I just want to shut my brain off and play.

Same. Plus there's this: I already know how to kite a demon or dodge dragon breath. Star Citizen seemed to have promise, but it never took off the ground.

Members
9,861 posts
1 hour ago, Elegant_Winter said:

There isn't an issue. WG makes so much money from their small base that they don't need a lot of players.

Can you send me data on whatever your taking....it's pretty powerful stuff....

Don't you think if they were actually making great money, they'd actually invest in competent coders, and work on the game itself more? :Smile_facepalm:

[YORHA]
Members
3,241 posts
30 minutes ago, awiggin said:

Don't you think if they were actually making great money, they'd actually invest in competent coders, and work on the game itself more? :Smile_facepalm:

Clearly you have never worked for a company that is in the "Mature" phase of it's lifespan.

Members
5,571 posts
3,925 battles
44 minutes ago, awiggin said:

It's no secret that there are thousands of players in the community who have spent over a thousand dollars. Just look at all the premiums they own and all that.

Members
17,667 posts
5,082 battles
16 minutes ago, awiggin said:

I won't comment on whether or not WG has lots of money, but why would somebody spend more on employees than necessary?

I mean, yes, McDonald's could hire experienced line cooks instead of teenagers, Home Depot could hire people with more current knowledge and experience in the departments they'll be working in, but what's the point?

Or do you think that many people quit the game because the coding is mediocre?

[WOLF3]
Members
5,862 posts
2,191 battles

I think the coding (and lest it be forgot, the testing) is pretty darn good.  And I judge with a professional eye. 

Now, the design part I might have some quibbles with...

[SYN]
Members
457 posts
8,210 battles

I have a question for ya'll. The friends I have tried to get to play this game in the past are all on Steam, but it wasn't because it was not integrated Steam. The questions always were, "Oh cool paint job where can I get that?" , "Why does my ship get spotted before yours?"," How do you shoot farther than me with the same ship?". Then I would have to explain that you don't get access to these things yet and its going to take you 50-100 matches to get them [Captains (R7), signals (R10) and camos(R11)] . All of my friends, after playing 20-30 games quit and all of them complained about the unfairness of having to play others artificially handicapped in an already difficult game.

I am going to try again now that it is on Steam, but I would like is how do we convince people like my Steam friends to go past this point (at least)? None of my arguments worked on them last time. (Is also small sample size, maybe it was only them that got butt-hurt over this game mechanic)

EDIT

Ok RipNuN2 in another thread may have solved some of this for me. "Bear in mind new players are now protected until T5 , lvl 11, or 200 battles iirc." and ask him if you div with a newb before 200 battles they get you MM. So it looks like it was me making it harder for them by Div'ing with them before 200 battles. 

Edited by DeadMeat_015

[PC]
Members
1,866 posts
14 minutes ago, DeadMeat_015 said:

I have a question for ya'll. The friends I have tried to get to play this game in the past are all on Steam, but it wasn't because it was not integrated Steam. The questions always were, "Oh cool paint job where can I get that?" , "Why does my ship get spotted before yours?"," How do you shoot farther than me with the same ship?". Then I would have to explain that you don't get access to these things yet and its going to take you 50-100 matches to get them [Captains (R7), signals (R10) and camos(R11)] . All of my friends, after playing 20-30 games quit and all of them complained about the unfairness of having to play others artificially handicapped in an already difficult game.

I am going to try again now that it is on Steam, but I would like is how do we convince people like my Steam friends to go past this point (at least)? None of my arguments worked on them last time. (Is also small sample size, maybe it was only them that got butt-hurt over this game mechanic)

They are starting out in the newbie player pool. None of these issues were of any concern to me, since I could rack up the same goodies by playing.

Members
17,667 posts
5,082 battles
2 hours ago, DeadMeat_015 said:

how do we convince people like my Steam friends to go past this point (at least)? . 

If they don't have a lot of patience, or  don't enjoy the challenge of figuring out a game, chances are that you can't.

Not a jab at your friends, it's just this game has a comparatively small playerbase to major titles for a reason. 

It's simply not everyone's cup of tea.

I honestly think we'll have a higher churn rate with Steam players, but some are definitely going to stick.

Members
1,749 posts
7,932 battles
2 hours ago, Seadog_Supreme said:

They are starting out in the newbie player pool. None of these issues were of any concern to me, since I could rack up the same goodies by playing.

However he is correct that their is a pretty big gap between just starting out and getting a 10 point captain. The scenario captains were a good idea for that very reason and I made sure the people I talked into trying this acquired them.

[SYN]
Members
457 posts
8,210 battles
1 minute ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

However he is correct that their is a pretty big gap between just starting out and getting a 10 point captain. The scenario captains were a good idea for that very reason and I made sure the people I talked into trying this acquired them.

I another thread RipNuN2 pointed. "Bear in mind new players are now protected until T5 , lvl 11, or 200 battles iirc." and if you div with a newb before 200 battles they get your MM.

So it looks like it was me making it harder for them by Div'ing with them before 200 battles. So me at T3 or T4 with them, but getting my MM they were facing lots of people with camo/Capts/flags and were more pissed about the unfairness of that. This does give me a chance to try to get them try again with this info, but not being able to play with your friends for 200 battles, when they need the most help is kinda of crappy. I did start a new account on steam and I will now only use it to help my friends if I can talk them into it again.

So the moral of the story folks is, tell your potato newb :) friends to feck off till you they are rank 11, or you will lead them to the seal clubbing early, early 

Beta Testers
1,119 posts
2,394 battles
On 11/16/2017 at 10:18 PM, awiggin said:

They wouldnt have jumped through Steam's hoops if they didnt feel they had to in terms of population and/or sales. Funny how WoT hasn't found its way there... But theres no problems here, no sir.

Members
17,667 posts
5,082 battles
15 minutes ago, Mulletproof said:

Funny how WoT hasn't found its way there... But theres no problems here, no sir.

The only real problems WoWS has in terms of player numbers, is that the game is slower-paced than a lot of people like, (WoT doesn't have this issue) and it's got more mechanics to learn than a lot of people like.

If there were a huge market for a game of this type, and only WG's execution of it were to blame, somebody big would be making one.

There's only so many people that want to play this kind of game, and EU/Russia has most of them. North Americans like their twitch-based eye-candy shooters, or fantasy-based games with lots of cool visual spell effects and gore.

If WG did what needed to be done to make this game attractive to the mainstream, many of us (including me, and maybe you too) would find something else to play.

WG doesn't have to jump through Steam hoops, but we accuse them all the time of being greedy, so why would it be surprising that they want to pick up another source of income? (as well as getting more exposure for the game that wouldn't cost as much as WoT's TV commercial blitz) As far as WoT, it's already established and popular, everybody knows about it, so putting it on Steam just takes money from them.

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 1