Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Judge_Doom

World of Warplanes

9 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
1,594 posts
6,712 battles

First off, I realize this is the ship game, but Warplanes is also a WG game, don't mean to offend anyone nor get in any trouble for talking about other games, lol.

Anyways, I recently downloaded the game and thought I might give it a try as a diversion from this game among others, but I need a few tips before attempting to play it...

Do I need a joy stick? or will a mouse suffice?

What line (US, German, etc) have you found to the most entertaining and the most worthy of going up through the tree?

Is there anything that I really need to know about the game before getting started in it, an tricks, hints, clues...

Am I just wasting my time with it?  Are there others that actually do play it....keep hearing from some that its basically a dead game and not worth the time and effort.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Judge_Doom

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,196 posts
3,871 battles

Ask on the Warplanes forum. They actually do have their own General Discussion.

All you'll get about it here is memes like "People play World of Warplanes?"

[HINON]
Members
8,850 posts
24 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

Ask on the Warplanes forum. They actually do have their own General Discussion.

All you'll get about it here is memes like "People play World of Warplanes?"

I think you have to have a certain number of matches to post in their forum. Last time I was over there it was also bugged so new players matches werent showing up so they couldnt post anything.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
1,506 posts
7,383 battles

WG has launched a completely new format of game with 2.0.  It has actually revived some interest in the game, there are a lot of new players.. It usually only takes a minute or so to get a battle with more humans than bots.

I use a joystick, for the immersion value, but you can do well with a mouse with practice. You don't need a fancy one...The 39 buck Logitech Extreme is fine.

I am almost exclusively a fighter pilot, and have enjoyed both the US and German lines in both Multi-role fighters and pure fighters.

The Japanese fighters, turn and shoot like crazy, but are very squishy. The RU fighters are decent, but the GAs are considered better.

The most important thing to remember is that you need to do the job of the plane you are in.. Don't try to shoot down planes in a ground pounder, and don't try to destroy AA guns in a fighter.

The devs have rigged it so that working outside your role, does very little toward getting the capture points and winning.

Feel free to PM me with any other questions... even if you get to post on the planes forum, you may get nothing but salt from the bitter, disillusioned, angry veterans who won't play the new game, yet won't leave the forum.

I'm not great at the game, but my clan is. And I actually enjoy the new format.

Edited by OtterWolf
additional content

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,376 posts
7,971 battles

My opinion, don't waste your time. Most of the "players" in a match are actually bots that were added to compensate for the player base they drove away. And that they have basically kept away. "2.0" is a sham. it's 1.9 but they added bombers that were at best a pain to get, and a new game mode. The graphics are still the same, if not worse, unless you maybe have a high end rig. I get maybe 10 FPS there, I get between 20-40 here depending. They have done 0 optimization, they botched ground targets, again, they still have pay to win ammo (legit pay to win, gold only) and still I think consumables as well. Basically made the same crap damage model they introduced around or after 1.5 that basically, the instant you take a hit if it damages something your dead. IJN planes have been made near worthless and everything fires the same basically, nothing is unique and it's all about boom and zoom. All true personality of aircraft has been extinguished. I had a longer list I posted on their forum as a former player that WANT'S the game to be as good as it was in 1.4 and before. I'd even settle for 1.5 or 6. But compared to what it once was, where the planes weapons, other than minor RoF tweaks (like 10 RPM more/less against numbers like 800 RPM) and all felt unique for it were historical, where yes, you took a hit that caused damage but didn't guarantee your demise, where turn and burn could compete against BnZ when played right, where GA's were important and could really take out targets, where it was truly fast paced combat, stick or mouse didn't matter, and more importantly fun and intense. Those days are dead and gone. My end statement on their forum was simply this in a nutshell "Maybe by 3.0 you'll listen to the players, what you have left and all of us you drove off and actually address our issues and all we've had so we can enjoy the game again and want to come back. Assuming you can limp the game on to a 3.0 release."

And understand that I LOVED that game. Even when 1.5 and 6 were driving people off I was defending it, and them, saying it was a hang up but that they'd fix it, that they'd make it better. But 1.7-9 I just couldn't and they used up the last of the goodwill I had for them. To a point I almost wanted to wash my hands of Wargaming titles all together. Thankfully, Tanks and Ships seem to have learned from that studio's mistakes.

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,235 battles
14 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

Thankfully, Tanks and Ships seem to have learned from that studio's mistakes.

Your opinion. My opinion is that Tanks was trashed long ago (by WG itself) & Planes? Garbage from the start. WoWS is, at present, OK but this is WG .......... so ........?

[SYN]
Members
14,378 posts
10,239 battles

Use mouse. Far easier to aim.

[PVE]
Members
1,594 posts
6,712 battles

Thanks everyone, a lot of useful and interesting info to soak up.

[-TAB-]
Alpha Tester
4,072 posts
7,519 battles

So after seeing those videos by Jingles and Flamu about Warplanes 2.0, I finally decided to have a go at it.

Wow.  I never thought I'd have legit fun with WoWP.  I mean, sure, way back in the CBT I kinda liked flying the Fw 57 and the Buffalo, but at a point(especially during the event to get gold by playing 100 matches in a time limit) it suddenly got really unappealing to play.

Currently proceeding up the Japanese fighter line(on Ki-43-I), the Japanese MR line(on A5M), the US MR line(on F3F) and the German HF line(on Fw 57).  I got some of those free premiums too, and in the Airacobra I ran into phontomen and shot him down.

I'm actually tempted to dial back on the WoWS play and focus more on WoWP for a while.

Sign in to follow this