Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Mulletproof

ArkBeta Extended Play

4 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,119 posts
2,419 battles

Okay, so ive put a few games with the ArkBeta under my belt; enough to come up with a verdict of some sorts.

Its amazingly op.

Situationally. At 6.8km, a secondary build can completely close off a cap. CAs and DDs enter at their peril, normally facing a healthy dose of fire and module loss. The Arkansause can multitask both sides as well. On a very recent game, i bullied into a cap and just started to rip the face off everything around me. I gotta say, it was completely epic and i walked away with four kills, two of those CQE.

But its not completely op in the way some boats are. Torpedo drops remain the bane of the Ark's existence with zero AA. Also, you make sacrifices with a CQC build, namely in terms of main battery accuracy. The loss is notable and you you'll have a tough time placing ranged shots where you want... Not that your accuracy was ever that great even properly spec'd, but your THAC0 rolls are a bit rougher.

Perhapse most notably are the situations you voluntarily put yourself in with this build. You are spec'd for close fire support and even though you'll wreck face at those ranges a DD will normally survive long enough to launch it's payload. At least twice today I've eaten a DD salvo launched from point blank range... Though it was mutually assured destruction. Inside 3km, those guns do not miss. Both instances I sank with CQE to my name.

Speaking of, there's an unseen perk to this build-- it pays for its own flags. Since you're almost guaranteed to splatter something with the small guns, you're going to replenish your secondaries flag to the tune of five once every 24 hours.

My TL;DR impressions are this-- its an amazingly fun, but risky build. I miss the main battery accuracy, but its the ship you want to take into the cap in an adrenaline junky sort of way. Expect to get r*ped from the air and youll be up to your eyeballs in lolibotes, but damn, it's fun.

[late notes]

Another intangible benefit of the secondary build is that- assuming you're in range to use it -is that it can cover your reloads. While six turrets allows you to space out your shots, 30sec reloads can leave you dry at the worst opportunity. A constant spam of secondary fire actually helps. At least your DPM isn't zero and in a lot of cases, damn helpful.

Edited by Mulletproof
words

[TF16B]
Members
8,062 posts
16,992 battles

Been secondary specing South Carolina for giggles, along with MFCS, and having a bit of amusement. SC actually has a decent number of secondaries, especially when compared to New York/Texas.

Beta Testers
1,119 posts
2,419 battles

Just a last note; promise I won't post anymore on the topic. Added a video in the op to illustrate just what we're dealing with.

Sign in to follow this