You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Edgecase

USN AP dive bombers

14 comments in this topic

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,034 posts
12,515 battles

These things are hot trash. They're exactly the same stupid setup as the ones on Enterprise, so they do game-breakingly high damage on German BBs, and 800 per hit on everything else. While it's nice to be able to bring them on planes that don't nose dive into the ocean at the first sign of trouble, they're still a waste of space munition and a huge noob trap.

DO NOT WANT.

• Cool 1

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

WG needs to hire the folks at Blizzard as consultants.

Maybe even that other company that can't be named here.

Edited by Wulfgarn

[ARMDG]
WoWS Wiki Editor
794 posts
40 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

DO NOT WANT.

don't equip them then? 

• Cool 2

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,034 posts
12,515 battles
9 minutes ago, TheZeke00 said:

don't equip them then? 

This is the PTS feedback forum. Letting the devs know, "I think the mechanic you're testing on PTS is bad" is the point.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
5,310 posts
17,747 battles

What I dislike is the inability to choose which bombs to use IN game. Every ship that has HE and AP can switch freely between the two, not sure why that would be an issue for a carrier. 

• Cool 2

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Supertester
4,084 posts
4,098 battles

Why not use AP DBs on ships that take good damage from them, then use the TBs on less armoured targets

• Cool 1

[D-G-F]
Members
8 posts
3,478 battles
9 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

What I dislike is the inability to choose which bombs to use IN game. Every ship that has HE and AP can switch freely between the two, not sure why that would be an issue for a carrier. 

I agree, I do think AP bombers need some tweaking to be more well rounded to capital ships on kind of an average, I could see something like, Instead of having German BBS take full dmg and basically get alphad off the field, by two squadrons dropping on its massive hull and not having a real chance to miss, then going against something like a Montana and only doing 10K dmg. lets average it out a bit, make the Montana take something like 20-30K dmg, and the G. Kurfurst take like 30-40K instead of the 112K that is the max potential of AP bombers... then once the ordnance is dropped, allow the CV to land its planes, and start loading up with HE bombs, but, the switch requires the planes to land and be rearmed, so if planned ahead isn't a problem, but, if you launch the planes you have to land them again and waste time doing so. so that way you don't have a DB focused line, mostly useless against other ships. As the american CVs, by WG standards is DB focused. I could see something like this in the works for IJN as well, allowing them to rearm torpedo bombers between regular torpedoes, and Deep-water torpedoes. so that way you can load anti-capital ship Ordnance, and anti-sub-capital Ordnance. no different than a CA loading HE to shoot the broadside of a BB at range, or AP to shoot the broadside of a CA that is closer.

Open for suggestions.

[WOLF4]
Members
173 posts
1,280 battles

I'm pretty sure that ap was the main ordnance used against ships of all types from a historical standpoint. So maybe adjust how the ap bombs work against ships as a whole. If I'm not mistaken this is one of the reasons why we won at midway because the Japanese kept re-arming their bombers between the two because they couldn't decide weather to attack midway (w/ he)or if it was a trap and to attack the naval ships with ap. 

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,692 posts
3,459 battles

This was brought up as a reality way before the PTS went up. WGing making no changes to correct the issue is incredibly discouraging.

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
420 posts
5,617 battles
On 11/18/2017 at 10:32 AM, Madwolf05 said:

This was brought up as a reality way before the PTS went up. WGing making no changes to correct the issue is incredibly discouraging.

WG has a history of jamming their fingers in their ears and going "LA LA LA LA WE CAN'T HEAR YOU!" at the top of their lungs when players are telling them that changes they are making are not good when the dev team already has its mind made up.

A good example would be the debacle over them rushing the Graf Zeppelin out.

[DONUT]
Members
413 posts
5,121 battles

AP bombs are a waste.  I tried them for the PT but after getting 800 points per hit almost every time I gave up.  I went back to HE to start fires. 

Why is WG against TB?  I would like a 2/2/0 load out.  I could do some real damage. 

[AK]
Members
95 posts
7,533 battles

I agree 100% with the idea of allowing CVs the option of switching between AP bombs and HE  bombs in battle. After all, every ship in this game has that ability except the CV. Why restrict it to a pre battle decision? I see no reason to restrict every USN CV to only one load out either. When I play, I prefer the AS build, but I know there are those out there who prefer a strike load out. So now we will have neither, and be hampered by the single jack of all trades load out crammed down our throats that will make the gap between IJN and USN CV's even larger.

I also agree the AP bombs are not worth it. I tried them on the Lexington on the PST this past weekend and found out they do less damage than the HE bombs. I did like the drop pattern but since they did not perform better than the HE's I no reason to use them.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,034 posts
12,515 battles

Week 2 update: Still crap. Essex wave drops on GK for 5280, 6 hits, literally 880 damage per bomb. It plays the overpen sound, so maybe it's hitting superstructure (or maybe that's just the sound it plays in general). Utterly pointless munition type.