You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
deresistance

Kidd - Been told its to weak AND also OP

Kidds power level in game (Assuming normal tiers 7-X)  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Kidds power level in game (Assuming normal tiers 7-X)

• Over Powered
    • Just Right
    • To Weak

38 comments in this topic

[RMRGD]
Members
175 posts
16,718 battles

So in the past 2 days I have been told a few times that Kidd is to weak of a ship and I wasted my money.  I also have been told its too OP.    Its weird.  I have someone in my clan is having terrible luck with Kidd.  I am having an overall good time in her.   My stats below are not god like but solid.   I do have more of a gun build minus Advance Firing but took HP instead.  Shes a good ship and I am often up tiered.      My only true gripe is that when CVs noticing me in game they stay away.     Often I want to open up and engage but I cant because they run soon as I spot them.     What do you guys think?

Name Tier Type Nation Battles WR Dmg XP K/D Sh☠ Pl☠ Srv MBH TH WTR ▼                              
  Kidd 8 DD usa.svg USA 60 66.67% 48,990 2,148 2.4 1.2 2.4 50% 46% 8% 1,494

dark.png

Edited by deresistance

[HINON]
Supertester
18,911 posts
12,446 battles

Kidd's weak in the hands of mediocre players. You're not a mediocre player.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,743 posts
9,439 battles
16 minutes ago, Lert said:

Kidd's weak in the hands of mediocre players. You're not a mediocre player.

I badly need to get more games in mine, but I think I am decently compitent and I disagree.

The Kidd is a one trick pony, except the trick is a crappy one that doesn't matter most of the time. (AA)

It's ability to do damage is extremely limited and situational. If you are in a game with 4-5 DDs you can do well by hunting their DD. If you are in a game with 2 on each side, prepare to accomplish bugger all once the caps are taken.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles
4 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

I badly need to get more games in mine, but I think I am decently compitent and I disagree.

The Kidd is a one trick pony, except the trick is a crappy one that doesn't matter most of the time. (AA)

It's ability to do damage is extremely limited and situational. If you are in a game with 4-5 DDs you can do well by hunting their DD. If you are in a game with 2 on each side, prepare to accomplish bugger all once the caps are taken.

:Smile_great:

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,422 battles
2 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

The Kidd isn't all that hard to kill either with the right composition of ships. I was divisioned with another player, division mate in Kidd and me in Kiev. We met an enemy Kidd at the A cap on Warrior's Path and obliterated him in seconds with no damage to my Kiev and less than 3,000 health lost to my division mate. Both sides had ships that had gone to A cap as well staying by the islands so no lack of support on both sides. We just practically melted the enemy Kidd there was little time for the support to react.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,743 posts
9,439 battles
3 minutes ago, Lightninger said:

The Kidd isn't all that hard to kill either with the right composition of ships. I was divisioned with another player, division mate in Kidd and me in Kiev. We met an enemy Kidd at the A cap on Warrior's Path and obliterated him in seconds with no damage to my Kiev and less than 3,000 health lost to my division mate. Both sides had ships that had gone to A cap as well staying by the islands so no lack of support on both sides. We just practically melted the enemy Kidd there was little time for the support to react.

That has been my experience too, but I have zero explanation for why the Kidd melts so fast when shot at. I don't really want to bring it up without at least something to explain it.

Odd thing is that Kidd has been getting me to play my Lo Yang more. Lo Yang is just such a powerhouse vs the Kidd I am finding.

[ARMDG]
WoWS Wiki Editor
794 posts

She's not your typical USN Destroyer; she is a scout first. People that can get her will probably do better in her.

[O7]
Members
4,921 posts
8,751 battles
34 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

This is extremely incorrect. The heal keeps you relevant in late game as well. If you want to use your AA, div with a cv. easy.

• Cool 2

[SBS]
Members
2,413 posts
2,253 battles
16 minutes ago, Lightninger said:

This shows the ups and downs of the heal.  Your division mate used his heal and came away from the engagement out very little HP.  The enemy Kidd, the heal did squat for him.     

[DAKI]
Members
621 posts
6,100 battles

It all depends on the player. People in my clan use it with cv divisions, just like any other aa ship. Now I can agree that dd defensive fire is a tad overpreforming a bit. But its like any ship. Its op in the right hands, weak in the others, and ok in none cv games.

Edited by awildpervert

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,422 battles
Just now, Slimeball91 said:

This shows the ups and downs of the heal.  Your division mate used his heal and came away from the engagement out very little HP.  The enemy Kidd, the heal did squat for him.     

I have doubts that my division mate needed to use his heal and can double check but I find it very unlikely he used a heal charge there.

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

It's a little harder to hard carry in than say, Fletcher where you can kill half their team on your own if you need to.  That said, it's a very strong DD.  

In randumbs it helps to div, just so that you know the entire team won't be dead in 5 minutes.

I wouldn't call it OP, but it's on the higher side of balanced.

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles
1 hour ago, deresistance said:

So in the past 2 days I have been told a few times that Kidd is to too weak of a ship and I wasted my money.  I also have been told its too OP.    Its It's weird.  I have someone in my clan who is having terrible luck with Kidd.  I am having an overall good time in her.   My stats below are not god-like but solid.   I do have more of a gun build minus Advance Firing but took HP instead.  Shes She's a good ship and I am often up-tiered (being low tier isn't as much of a big deal as most are making it)     My only true gripe is that when CVs noticing notice me in game they stay away.     Often I want to open up and engage but I cant can't because they run soon as I spot them.     What do you guys think?

Couldn't edit out this huge space where stats were.

dark.png

Your sig line stats should be in your sig line...not in your main post body.

^  Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

I haven't bought Kidd...yet?  I must say I have been tempted, although I initially thought she was a hard pass.  She is expensive as she is T8.  But, I think she is better than many originally thought.  Her ability to heal lost HP is crucially important to consider. 

I am still pondering buying HSF Harekaze, I am expecting to buy a discounted year of premium time on Black Friday, and there are still more premiums soon to be released.  I want Kidd, I just don't know if I can justify to myself spending the money on her considering the above...

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,743 posts
9,439 battles
49 minutes ago, Pulicat said:

This is extremely incorrect. The heal keeps you relevant in late game as well. If you want to use your AA, div with a cv. easy.

Only if you survive to use it. Many times you either don't or the game is largly decided by the time you use them. 

[SIM]
Members
2,430 posts
4,060 battles

She's both at the same time. Brawling DDs, capping, or scouting? She's beastly. Doing anything else? She's awful. I find that she's bad more often than she's good, honestly, but she has her moments.

[O7]
Members
4,921 posts
8,751 battles
1 minute ago, HazardDrake said:

Only if you survive to use it. Many times you either don't or the game is largly decided by the time you use them. 

That's down to user error. It's a bloody fletcher, if you're dying early in it, it has nothing to do with the ship.

[GREPT]
[GREPT]
Beta Testers
6,739 posts
7,082 battles

My experience with kidd is purely co-op (because I suck in tin cans and don't want to ruin PVP matches with her) but she is the one destroyer that I've clicked with in co-op, the AA is solid, the guns are great and the heal really does help in a game mode where the AI target DDs before anything else. 

Only thing I'd ask out of it is to get a set of fletcher torps not benson torps. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,743 posts
9,439 battles
59 minutes ago, Pulicat said:

That's down to user error. It's a bloody fletcher, if you're dying early in it, it has nothing to do with the ship.

It has quite a bit, actually. The inadequate torpedoe armament makes you dead quite often,  among other things. 

[O7]
Members
4,921 posts
8,751 battles
10 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

It has quite a bit, actually. The inadequate torpedoe armament makes you dead quite often,  among other things. 

Uh. the torpedoes don't help keep you alive. They are a damage dealer unless you're an idiot trying to torp other DDs in a GUNFIGHT. STOP DOING THAT.

Actually, you probably are.

Edited by Pulicat

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
9 minutes ago, Pulicat said:

Uh. the torpedoes don't help keep you alive. They are a damage dealer unless you're an idiot trying to torp other DDs in a GUNFIGHT. STOP DOING THAT.

Actually, you probably are.

Yes, everyone, do exactly as the super special unicorn demands. You'll enjoy your time here if you do everything he says, surely.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,176 posts
3,867 battles
19 minutes ago, Pulicat said:

To be fair, here, if you drop torpedoes and then go back to your guns, you've just increased the amount of stuff the other guy has to dodge by a huge margin and also increased your chances to sinking them.

As an IJN player I've learned to do this because it's literally the only way to win a gunfight against anything. I can't imagine it not being similarly useful for boats with actual guns instead of spud launchers like mine.

• Cool 1

Members
415 posts

She barely took any damage from my Maass, and I tried both AP and HE from close range. Her guns, however, shredded me to pieces. I killed her with a desperation volley of torps.

While the Kidd's torps are underwhelming, the guns are definitely more than adequate. It contests caps better than German DDs for sure.