Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CatWithBagOnHead

In-Battle Speed-Selectable Torpedoes. Yea or Nay?

In-Battle Speed-Selectable Torpedoes  

52 members have voted

  1. 1. Would you like to be able to switch speeds on your torpedoes in-battle?

    • Yea
      35
    • Nay
      17

50 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
162 posts
3,752 battles

Currently, we can switch between HE and AP shells.  What about the ability to set your torps to go faster (with the resultant range loss)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,468
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,603 posts
3,889 battles

Destroyer players have asked for this for years.

 

Faster speed -- Shorter range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
519
[LOU1]
Members
3,152 posts
8,354 battles

While it might be good to have, have you considered what it would be like to face it?  You could no longer reliably know the torp range or torp speed of a ship you were fighting.  Just a thought...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
152
[B2P]
Members
522 posts
14,213 battles

Does anyone know if there was any historical precedent to this?  Or were torps built for one speed and one speed only at the factory?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,730
[O7]
Members
4,994 posts
9,288 battles

No, I don't want a power meter for my torpedoes. I'm not playing a golf game. Get out.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
162 posts
3,752 battles
Just now, DreadRaybo said:

Does anyone know if there was any historical precedent to this?  Or were torps built for one speed and one speed only at the factory?

Yes, many nation's torpedoes could be set for high speed, short distance or low speed, long distance. 

 

USN's MK XIV I think was 49kts/4100 and yds.31kts/8000yds if memory serves

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
233
[SYN]
Members
461 posts
8,855 battles
6 minutes ago, DreadRaybo said:

Does anyone know if there was any historical precedent to this?  Or were torps built for one speed and one speed only at the factory?

Here is the plaque next to the torp's on the USS Kidd,

z6zJuLr.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,908
Members
18,910 posts
5,328 battles
3 minutes ago, Pulicat said:

No, I don't want a power meter for my torpedoes. I'm not playing a golf game. Get out.

 

Lol he's only asking about a realistic feature, that has precedent in this sort of game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
152
[B2P]
Members
522 posts
14,213 battles
1 minute ago, Condor___ said:

Yes, many nation's torpedoes could be set for high speed, short distance or low speed, long distance. 

 

USN's MK XIV I think was 49kts/4100 and yds.31kts/8000yds if memory serves

Then the next question would be at what point were they set?  Would this require setting the torps upon loading into the tubes, or could it be set moments before firing.  So in relation to the game, would this be a 5s adjustment, or a full torp reload one (over a minute on many DDs)?

 

I'm guessing the torp would be adjusted in the tube, because as far as I know USN DD torps were only loaded into the tubes at port, or upon some other resupply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
152
[B2P]
Members
522 posts
14,213 battles
3 minutes ago, DeadMeat_015 said:

Here is the plaque next to the torp's on the USS Kidd,

z6zJuLr.jpg

Stats must be from pre-game launch... it doesn't show HP damage.  :Smile-_tongue:

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,370
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,944 posts
9,792 battles
2 minutes ago, DreadRaybo said:

Then the next question would be at what point were they set?  Would this require setting the torps upon loading into the tubes, or could it be set moments before firing.  So in relation to the game, would this be a 5s adjustment, or a full torp reload one (over a minute on many DDs)?

 

I'm guessing the torp would be adjusted in the tube, because as far as I know USN DD torps were only loaded into the tubes at port, or upon some other resupply.

Torpedoes could be set for speed, depth, and gyro offset right up until the moment before firing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,400
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
16,211 posts
9,546 battles
12 minutes ago, DreadRaybo said:

Does anyone know if there was any historical precedent to this?  Or were torps built for one speed and one speed only at the factory?

 

8 minutes ago, Condor___ said:

Yes, many nation's torpedoes could be set for high speed, short distance or low speed, long distance. 

 

USN's MK XIV I think was 49kts/4100 and yds.31kts/8000yds if memory serves

This and I feel this adds complication that doesn't add to the game. Unless of course you are one of those people that thinks that far too much complication is not enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
324 posts
6,247 battles
32 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

Destroyer players have asked for this for years.

 

Faster speed -- Shorter range.

Or slower speed, longer range. IE those stubby ranged Russian torpedoes. I'd gladly give up speed on them, to get 6-7km out of some of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,908
Members
18,910 posts
5,328 battles
3 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

 

This and I feel this adds complication that doesn't add to the game. Unless of course you are one of those people that thinks that far too much complication is not enough.

 

To be fair, NavyField had it, and combat was more complicated than here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
214 posts
6,202 battles

When I was a tail gunner on the Tirpitz our guys in the torpedo room would use magnetic pistols and level 3 (fastest) speed settings. Being defensive they needed to find and hit the target as it closed in, HMS GlowWorm style.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
606
[ARRGG]
Members
4,750 posts
7,675 battles
41 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

Destroyer players have asked for this for years.

 

Faster speed -- Shorter range.

you do realize you can already do this in port with a Captain skill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
454
[WOLF5]
Members
1,655 posts
2,333 battles

Sounds like an interesting idea. Not to much difference, like maybe 10 to 13 with a matching speed drop. You'd want to be careful you didn't switch type halfway through though.

 

It wouldn't be to bad for the other players, they'd know the max range so it wouldn't matter too much. I always assume there are torps coming, wouldn't change much on my end.

 

-BB player BTW.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
454
[WOLF5]
Members
1,655 posts
2,333 battles
1 minute ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

you do realize you can already do this in port with a Captain skill

He means in battle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,468
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,603 posts
3,889 battles
3 minutes ago, HMCS_Devilfish said:

you do realize you can already do this in port with a Captain skill

 

Yes I do realize that. Thank you for assuming I am completely stupid.

 

The point is being able to do it dynamically during gameplay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
606
[ARRGG]
Members
4,750 posts
7,675 battles
Just now, AraAragami said:

 

Yes I do realize that. Thank you for assuming I am completely stupid.

 

The point is being able to do it dynamically during gameplay.

I’m not assuming your stupid... no need to be rude 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7,468
[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,603 posts
3,889 battles
Just now, HMCS_Devilfish said:

I’m not assuming your stupid... no need to be rude 

 

Treating a high tier IJN destroyer player like an idiot who doesn't know about basic game mechanics or captain skills doesn't create a friendly response.

 

8IpAdw2.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
285
[ARMDG]
WoWS Wiki Editor
794 posts

I'd rather see this implemented as a module based system first... similar to how we choose HE or AP bombs before game. Might be a good way to increase choice without increasing complexity. As you all know, some destroyers already have something similar...so the groundwork is there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×