You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

15 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Community Department, WG Staff, Retired Community Contributors
257 posts
12,249 battles

New CV Captains? Need to Learn Manual Drops? Only have 3 minutes?! This video is for you!

• Cool 15

[O7]
Members
4,921 posts
8,751 battles

Interesting concept. This will probably help me in hiryu, though I'm waiting for the Kidd spam to stop first. 

• Cool 1

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,026 posts
10,219 battles

Clear, concise and useful - the trifecta of instructional videos.

I normally only play my CV's in co-op or Operations, but at some point I may try my hand again in the big kids pool.  I will practice this with my Kaga to see if I can get more consistent spreads - though cross dropping with it in auto is also very effective.

[TBW]
Members
6,354 posts
11,894 battles

Thanks Miss Femennenly good to learn even if I haven't really started to play CVs yet. I plan to though, when I have all of the other ships.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,229 posts
8,804 battles

I have never been able to get a handle on manual TB drops. Since you now have to learn in tier 6 even if you are able to pick it up fairly quickly the learning curve will be steep and painful.

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
4,682 posts
15,202 battles

Thanks, Fem!  

Members
4,748 posts
5,466 battles

Well, this is certainly good to know. Now I'll just need to put it into practice.

I think I used a fairly similar method, where I would position the planes like that outside of AA ranges, then give them a straight flight path over the target, lining up my drop as they were incoming on the target and setting it just before the aircraft reached the commitment circle.

@Femennenly, a question though. Assuming proper target selection(i.e. lone target so no extra AA auras to contend with, and no DF), how much do you, or should you, expect in aircraft losses before the drop? In the few clips you showed in the video, your aircraft were well within some of the AA range of the target ship. Most of my experience with CVs is from IJN CVs, so I've learned that it's better to keep the aircraft out of AA until they're needed to fly in for a drop. Experience on my end also reinforces this as generally when attacking targets I tend to lose aircraft either on the way in or as they're exiting. I don't ever have the expectation to drop and leave a target with all squads 100% intact, but sometimes it just feels like if I had pulled them out of the AA range sooner, or not put them into long range AA as quickly, I might have had one or two more aircraft to bring back to the carrier.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,528 posts
6,683 battles

Concise and to the point, crammed packed with easy to understand and apply tips!

1,542 posts
26 battles
On 16/11/2017 at 10:47 PM, Femennenly said:

New CV Captains? Need to Learn Manual Drops? Only have 3 minutes?! This video is for you!

@Femennenly Nice! Very clear narration, and great description of each method. Very interesting video and very helpful for new players :) I adore your intro and outro too, great logo!

[NNC]
Members
1,134 posts
13,388 battles

Thank you for the video. I always liked to strike from behind and overpath as you called it, not as used to approaching but it makes sense.

[WGA]
Administrator, Community Department, WG Staff, Retired Community Contributors
257 posts
12,249 battles
20 hours ago, evilleMonkeigh said:

What a great guide = short, and useful. Have a +1

Random Question: ...are you Australian too? (accent sounds rather Aussie)

Yes lol :) I grew up in Australia

[TF57]
Members
1,251 posts
3,920 battles

Ah, that explains it - Aussie with a touch of American? Either that, or you hail from some remote part of Tasmania (or SA -they aren't even part of Australia, right?)

Again, a great guide.