Pigeon_of_War

Contest: Need a New Wiki Editor

• You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

100 posts in this topic

Hello Commanders!

iMLiWQO.png

We have a lot of work coming up for the World of Warships Wiki. We need your help! 

I need a new Wiki Editor to join the team to help with wiki article creation, maintenance, and upkeep. The Official World of Warships Wiki Team is a small bunch of dedicated players that have been maintaining the World of Warships Wiki since May of 2016. I only have one spot available, and your entry will be judged by the other Wiki Editors as well as myself. Here's the entry that needs to be created:

Describe, in 500 words or more, how to play Des Moines properly to a new player in Random Battles. By New, I mean someone with less than 200 battles on their account. 

Your entry will be judged on grammar, accuracy of the subject matter, spelling, ability to display understanding of the subject matter, ability to convey understanding of the subject matter, and prose.

Benefits of Being a Wiki Editor:

- You get to test ships sometimes months before release for article creation, same as a Community Contributor

- Automatic invitation to the Community Contributor Clan

- Automatic reception of the Coo of Boom Flag

The Rules:

• No plagiarism. Automatic disqualification if noted. 
  • Wargaming gains exclusive rights to the contest ideas when you post it on the forum, as outlined in the “11. User Generated Content” section of the Terms of Service.
  • By submitting your entry, you agree to the Wargaming Official Rules.
  • Any violations of the above rules will disqualify your entry.
  • Also, bear in mind I reserve the ability to make the final judgement call.
  • DEADLINE: Wednesday 11/22 at 10:00 AM Pacific Time.

Good Luck everybody :Smile_Default:

I would throw my hat in the ring, but my work in the Discord would be incompatible with the job as a wiki editor right now. So I have to pass, but if anyone is interested but hesitant of entering, do it anyway. Help your community out and be an extra set of hands.

Hm, wonder how to put a sentence "Step 1: Find island, Step 2: Rain freedom" into 500 words?

Dam, wish it was Kongo, Fuso or NC. I've had those ships for a while and know how to play them well (not unicum but above average). Sadly I just got the Des Moines so I still don't really know how to play her. Ah well C'est la vie.

Des Moines  , ship that is usually refered to as De Meme , is a.................

There guys , you can use this as the start line , and i am 200% sure you will win :3 . GL to all

Edited by Zaffy_Sama

I am very appreciative of the opportunity to try and become a wiki editor, as it is something I have wanted to do for a long time. Thank you for your consideration, and enjoy.

Entry listed below.

The Tier X USN heavy cruiser, Des Moines. 

The Des Moines is the pinnacle of the USN cruiser line, being a ship that is to be feared, and respected by its foes on the battlefield. Building upon its predecessors, the Des Moines shares the traits of the other USN cruisers: great guns with good damage and penetration, excellent anti-aircraft firepower, long lasting radar, decent stealth, and good maneuverability. However, Des Moines has a few more tricks up her sleeve to make her stand out from the rest of the tier X cruiser club. Her guns have the highest rounds per minute for a 203mm cruiser at 10.9 RPM with a 5.5 second reload, her Anti-Aircraft-Armament is immense and with Defensive Fire for AA armament consumable, melts enemy aircraft squadrons, and her radar lasts for 40 seconds, giving plenty of time to fire at ships spotted by the consumable. Des Moines excels at catching ships off guard, and hammering them with salvo after salvo of shells from her guns.

So how do you play her? Let's go over the basics of her playstyle:

Islands are your friend. Des Moines loves being able to sail up to an island where her broadsides are safe to incoming fire, and lay out withering fire. Parking next to an island allows the Des Moines to take advantage of her high shell arcs to lob shells over obstructions, while being safe from enemy fire. This is a common tactic for Des Moines captains as her forward guns make up most of her firepower, it presents a smaller target for incoming fire, and it allows shells to hit the island instead of the ship.

Another common tactic to use when "hugging islands" as the term is dubbed, is to poke the nose of the ship out from behind the islands just enough to expose the forward turrets to fire at the target/cap, whilst keeping your ship protected by the island. When the enemy fire gets too intense, it is a simple matter to throw the throttle into reverse and duck behind the island, waiting for the heat to die down.

Preferably, you would like to park next to an island with access to a cap point, so that you can make use of a powerful tool in your arsenal: Surveillance Radar. You have the option to mount this as a consumable, mount it. Des Moines's radar has a 9.9km range and has the ability to radar a cap for 40 seconds (56 seconds if you are graced with the special module, Surveillance Radar Mod 1, explained below), providing view to any pesky destroyer in the cap trying to take it from you. Thanks to that, and your blistering rate of fire, you can melt opposing destroyers with ease, or sniff out enemy ships hiding in smokescreens thinking they are safe.

Hunting down ships in smoke. This is another strength of the Des Moines, hunting ships within a smokescreen. With her long radar active time, and quick firing guns, the ship allows you to flush out enemy ships hiding in smoke better than most of her peers. She can comfortably sit back, radar a smokescreen and light up enemy ships within. Few ships can withstand the firepower a Des Moines can output on a target caught in a smokescreen, even fewer can survive.

The key is activating the consumable when you have allies around to take advantage of the spotting you shall give them. Simply activating radar does not help your team if you cannot capitalize on the opportunity. So know where your allies are, and plan accordingly.

Knowing your guns. Des Moines has three properties to her guns. The first is her reload speed. Des Moines guns reload quickly, this is perfect for facing many different targets as it allows her to switch shell types on the fly, much faster than her tier X cruiser counterparts, giving her a distinct flexibility in ammo choice that adds to her versatility.

The second property is her shell speed and arcs. Des Moines's shells are not the fastest in the game, and they require the user to lead the target with more distance than other ships. This means that Des Moines struggles at range where other cruisers excel, having her shells "float" to the target allowing the enemy time to dodge. This becomes more prominent with the armor piercing shells which are even slower than her high explosive shells thus requiring more lead. Because of this, Des Moines likes closer range fights, where her shell speed does not hinder her performance.

The final property is the penetration angles. Des Moines inherits the special penetration angles given to US cruisers. What does this mean? It means that you can penetrate a target with your armor piercing (AP) shells at a steeper angle than other ships. In practice, this means that other vessels have to give you a much sharper angle in order to bounce your shells off their armor.

Choosing the right ammo for the target. Now that we understand our guns, which ammo type should you shoot at which enemy ships then?

When engaging an enemy destroyer, it is preferred to hit the target with high explosive (HE). HE will set fires, damage modules, and force the enemy to use their Damage control Party.

When faced with an enemy cruiser, there are several options for shell choice, depending on the angle the enemy is giving you. For angled cruisers, HE works the best, damaging the ship, lighting fires, and destroying AA mounts. But when that ship's angle starts flattening out to a broadside then you switch to AP to start achieving citadel penetrations. Best way to accomplish this is to aim at the waterline, that will usually result in your shells hitting the citadel, and causing heavy damage.

When squaring off with battleships, that is when things get interesting. Generally, firing HE at enemy battleships gets the job done. You'll do damage, start fires, destroy AA and secondary mounts, and just give the driver a bad day. However if a battleship gives you its broadside, that is when you really can put the hurt on them. When they make the mistake of showing broadside, load the AP, aim for the upper part of the hull, (called the upper belt) and fire away. While you will likely not score citadel penetrations, you will penetrate and deal damage, generally 3-5,000 damage per salvo. Couple that with your blistering rate of fire and you can put some serious hurt on enemy battleships.

Utilizing your AA. Enemy carriers will think twice about dropping you, or your team when they see a Des Moines nearby. Most of your AA firepower is concentrated in the long range 127mm and 76.2mm guns, which are extremely powerful in their own right, outputting 400+ damage per second (DPS) to planes at 5km (7.2km with upgrades and captain skills, see below). Couple that with the Defensive AA fire consumable, you bring that up to an astounding 1,200+ DPS at 5km, melting all planes in their range. You have an extra 43 DPS in your 20mm AA mounts, but they are close range guns with a range of 2km so unless the enemy carrier flies his planes right overhead, these guns won't get much use. 

Using your armor effectively. Des Moines has decent armor, but only in certain places and certain ways. The armor bounces cruiser shells with ease while angled, but be careful when engaging battleships as most battleships have guns that can overmatch your bow armor.

What is overmatch? It is when a shell is large enough to ignore the angle of a given armor thickness and penetrates it, causing damage. To give an example with Des Moines, Des Moines has 27mm of bow and stern plating armor, this is sufficient of automatically bouncing any shell 381mm or smaller when having the bow pointed at the target (Which will happen a lot with Des Moine's playstyle). However, any shell larger, like 406mm+ will get through with ease.

So how do you mitigate this? You angle your ship, and attempt to dodge. Des Moines greatest armor, is her maneuverability, with you zig zagging, it will be difficult to land effective hits on your ship. The best way of doing this, whether advancing or retreating, is to watch for the flash of the enemy guns signalling they have fired, then turn hard the opposite direction of where you were going. Most of the time, it will end with several of the enemy shells harmlessly splashing in the ocean, and you not take a large damaging hit.

Finally: Be flexible. Watch how the battle unfolds, a Des Moines caught alone will die without much effort. But a Des Moines backing up his destroyers, shooting enemy destroyers, radaring caps and smokescreens, and providing AA support will be a well loved Des Moines. Des Moines is stealthy, quick, and maneuverable enough to flex across the battlefield providing support wherever she is needed. Watching the minimap, and understanding where you are needed is a huge part of Des Moines's playstyle and is part of learning the ship. Pay attention to your surroundings, don't zone in on a single target. Don't get so focused on sinking the enemy battleship, that a low health destroyer slips by you unharmed and fires torpedoes at you. Keep your head on a swivel and your guns at the ready, and you'll do fine.

To summarize her consumables, she has the following options:

• Damage Control party. For putting out those pesky fires or stopping flooding.
  • The option of Hydroacoustic Search, or Defensive Fire for AA armament (Or DFAA). I would pick the Defensive Fire for AA as you will see better use out of it.
  • The option of a Fighter aircraft, Spotter aircraft, or Surveillance Radar. Take Radar. Radar allows you to spot any ship absolutely within a large radius (9.9km) for a good period of time (40 seconds). It is the best option and really brings out the uniqueness of the ship.
  • And finally Repair Party. For patching those holes that battleship made in your ship.

All consumables have a premium version that reduces the cooldown time of the consumable and gives an extra charge of the consumable with the exception of Damage Control Party. These can be bought with either doubloons, or credits.

So, now that you have the idea of how to play her, how would you set up the ship? Or the captain?

For the upgrades, as a beginner to the ship, I would recommend getting:

1. For slot 1, I say take Main armaments Mod 1. This will allow your turrets to be healthier, and not get knocked out as often.
  2. For slot 2, I would suggest Aiming Systems Mod 1. This will give your guns more accuracy, allowing more shells to hit the target. Alternatively you can take AA Guns Mod 2 to increase the range of your AA guns out to 6km. 
  3. For slot 3 there are a few choices, but for a new player to the ship, I would suggest Gun Fire Control System Mod 2. This bumps your modest 15.8km range to a comfortable 18.4km range, allowing you to stay further back and be less susceptible to incoming fire.
  4. For the fourth slot, I would go with Damage Control Mod 1. This gives you a bit more resistance to shells lighting fires and adds to your defense against enemy torpedoes. However, if you have access to the Surveillance Radar Mod 1, I would highly recommend using this upgrade. This takes your already strong radar and increases the time it can be active by 40%, allowing the radar to remain active for a staggering 56 seconds, allowing you to get off 9-10 salvos on a target spotted by your consumable.
  5. For slot 5 I would pick the Steering Gears Mod 2. This lets you get your rudder shift time down to 6.8 seconds allowing you to better wiggle and dodge incoming fire from enemy ships.
  6. For the final slot, I would strongly recommend Concealment System Mod 1. this allows your detection to get down to 10.6km which is very close to your 9.9km radar range. This also allows you to sneak up on caps undetected and jump unsuspecting enemies with your radar.

For captain skills:

• For your first skill (1 point), take Priority Target. Knowing how many enemies are targeting you will allow you to tell whether or not you can make that turn without eating a ton of damage.
  • For the second skill (2 points), take Expert Marksman. This will get your turrets on target faster. On your next go around, I suggest getting Adrenaline Rush as your second 2 point skill. This lets your guns fire faster the more damage you have sustained.
  • For your third skill (3 points), take Superintendent. Taking this skill will give you an extra charge to your consumables and allow you to survive longer, and use your radar once more.
  • For your fourth skill (4 points), take Concealment Expert. This, combined with Concealment System Mod 1 and camouflage, will get your base detection down to 10.6km, this allows you the flexibility to maneuver around the map and use your ship to its strengths. 

For the rest of the skills it is your choice. The most common build is an AA build with Basic Firing Training (3 points), this will buff your AA DPS by 20% giving you 240+ more DPS under DFAA, and Advanced Firing Training (4 points) to increase your AA range by 20% allowing it to reach out, with the AA Guns Mod 2, to 7.2km range. Couple that with the above skills, and you have a commander built to make carrier players cry.

This is the best path, in my opinion, for a beginning Des Moines player, as it provides solid team assistance, helps you stay out of the line of fire, and keeps the enemy planes off of your allies.

In summary.

The Des Moines in a nutshell: she is a versatile and powerful cruiser with excellent guns, and stellar team utility. She can cover her allies with Defensive AA support, she can assist destroyers by using radar to find the enemy destroyers or cruisers hiding in smoke, she can rain fire down on enemy ships from behind islands, and she can murder enemy cruisers with her high rate of fire. She is a fun ship, and I enjoy playing her. I hope you do too.

Fair winds and following seas captain! 

Entry complete.

Fair winds and following seas captains! :Smile_honoring:

11 minutes ago, Zaffy_Sama said:

Des Moines  , ship that is usually refered to as De Meme , is a.................

There guys , you can use this as the start line , and i am 200% sure you will win :3 . GL to all

WrHsAyE.gif

Edited by RivertheRoyal

So how much time does a Wiki Editor actually commit to the cause? and what do they exactly do? or do you only get to know that when you become one. Well no matter any more @Doomlock is taking on the task. Can I have your extra Coo of Boom flag? You will make a much better Wiki Editor than me (or would a wiki editor say I). Good Luck.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Yes, yes... MORE MINIONS.  Thank you, Great Avian Overlord, for this new bounty of fresh slave labor.

In the words of the Holy One.. rush B.

<edit - I missed the "or more" part.  Feel free to delete if you so choose.  Ill go eat my crow now>

Hrm.. would love to participate, but don't have a DM... though I've fought enough of them...

Anyway, its an interesting challenge, but isn't this topic a wee bit subjective?  There are many ways to play a given ship, but not all work in every situation.

A truly new player with <200 games has no concept of T10 play, and 500 words seems hardly sufficient to cover the topic.

Best of luck to those who enter.

B

Edited by bassmasta76

51 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

So how much time does a Wiki Editor actually commit to the cause? and what do they exactly do? or do you only get to know that when you become one. Well no matter any more @Doomlock is taking on the task. Can I have your extra Coo of Boom flag? You will make a much better Wiki Editor than me (or would a wiki editor say I). Good Luck.

This. I'd like to know what's involved, expected, time commitment etc. I'll probably pass, still learning, don't have the DM anyway. But would like to know what I'd be getting myself into.

I highly recommend people seriously consider this.  It's by far the most rewarding experience I've had in a video game, and keeps me coming back for more :).

Also, keep in mind that you will be required to sign an NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement), and you will find yourself in a new position within the community.  

Good luck to all who enter!

Does this require the use of a certain font/font size? Times New Roman, 12 pt font size? Or can we just use whatever looks good?

56 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

It depends on what's going on.  Sometimes we have "light" months, and sometimes we have "heavy" months.  You can probably guess that there's a reason we're looking to grow our group now :).  We always tell people that real life comes first, but that being said, you WILL have to divide your time between the game and the Wiki.  You WILL find yourself completing tasks only to have more given to you.  And you WILL enjoy every minute of it.

9 minutes ago, iSuqqort said:

"

Community Contributor Clan" 

Do they have to join the CC Clan?

Nope that's optional.  My personal account was in the WG-CC clan until clan functionality was released, when I joined my fellow wiki editors Killjoy1941, SeaRaptor00, and Tedster_ in clan Kraken.  

Hi Pigeon_of_War and any Wiki Editor

What is the requirement of a Wiki Editor and time spend as a minimum?

It sound good to be able to test new ships months before release, however, the time required to edit a writing and dead line is another to take into consideration first before all jumping in. What happen if I have family and other carer duties, full time work, without knowing the minimum requirement time going to be spend as Wiki Editor I cant organize due to some un forseen circumstances but tied into the dead line and such.

It would help to let us all know

regards,

What if we don't have a Des Moines? How can I take part in a contest when I don't have the requirement of what you want me to talk about?

If new players are seeking ways to improve, then that's a cause I'd be willing to aid. 

I'll edit this with my entry later.

7 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

What if we don't have a Des Moines? How can I take part in a contest when I don't have the requirement of what you want me to talk about?

This. That's exactly what I was thinking.

9 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

2 minutes ago, pikohan said:

I don't own the DM either, but I've played enough times alongside, and against, the little island cockroaches to know what they're like. Just take what you know of the ship and put it into words. Even if you doubt yourself, its still a better chance of winning then if you don't try at all

Just now, FireAndHEspam said:

I don't own the DM either, but I've played enough times alongside, and against, the little island cockroaches to know what they're like. Just take what you know of the ship and put it into words. Even if you doubt yourself, its still a better chance of winning then if you don't try at all

Righto then, time for potentially the scariest possible writing style that I'll be using, while also making an exclamation about the task ahead...
ca1b7c6db7cfa242127917a9ace579-55914564a

9 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

1 minute ago, pikohan said:

My guess is that he's not looking for highly specific gameplay. General ship advice, general cruiser advice (ammo type, positioning, concealment, cover, etc). Then USN CA and the DM specifically. I play the Baltimore, pretty close. And there's nothing unique to the ship, just solid cruiser game-play. Yes, the USN line has it's own twist, and the Des Moines is a bit unique, but you guys know what they are. The general strengths and weaknesses. I'm betting that if you got dropped into a Des Moines, it might not be your best game, but you would know generally what you should be doing. Remember, this isn't the Unicum guide, this is a newbie. 

Of course, I could be wrong and Pigeon is looking for a USN CA specialist. Official confirmation would be nice.